Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Do I really need a Searzall? I've wanted one ever since they were announced, but I can't see myself neeeeeeeeding it.....

I fell for this trap and have never used it ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

I've had my eyes on the Chef'n juicers because they use dual lever action. Anyone used these?

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshForce-Citrus-Juicer-Lime/dp/B002XOG4B0

it's CI's best buy juicer. i used one at a friend's house and it's solid. i forgot what was their overall winner but it was $200 and fuuuuck that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I didn't know this until I just saw it on Seriouseats, but for anyone else who didn't, OXO has a line of glass bakeware that's actually borosilicate glass like Pyrex used to be before they hosed it up.

https://www.oxo.com/products/cooking-baking/glass-bakeware

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Meh. While borosilicate is more resistant to thermal shocks, tempered soda-lime glass is way tougher when it comes to impact resistance. If you're not going to be chucking your bakeware in a sink full of cold water right out of the oven for some dumb reason, the toughness of tempered soda-lime when it comes to drops or stacking with other glass is a much greater advantage IMO. There's a reason almost no one makes cookware out of borosilicate anymore. Just get a couple trivets or hotpads and put your poo poo on those when you take it out of the oven.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

soda-lime can and will break randomly, not even due to thermal shock.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The only reason, as far as I can tell, that anyone uses soda-lime to make bakeware is because it's way cheaper to manufacture and is more likely to break than borosilicate so you have to replace it more often. I could be wrong. I know soda-lime does have higher impact resistance at room temperature. I'm not sure exactly how heat interacts with that, but I'd assume it makes it more brittle - and the more heat-resistant glass is less prone to this, at least in my head. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The solution is to have both soda lime and borosilicate glass. Use soda lime most of the time, break out the borosilicate when you need to broil something

Edit: actually, that's my solution to everything that has to do with equipment. Buy more than one of everything! I have three garlic presses, four different juicers, 11 different spatulas...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 3, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Flash Gordon Ramsay, you have the Waring double waffle maker right? When you make the yeast waffles, is it like sandwich bread inside, or more like cake?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay, you have the Waring double waffle maker right? When you make the yeast waffles, is it like sandwich bread inside, or more like cake?

I'd say more sandwichy. Definitely a little bit of chew/gluten development.

I have taken to making my quick waffles with cake flour though. Really appreciate the lightness I can get with it.

edit: Add a little baking powder to the yeast waffles if they're not light enough for you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This is really weird. I cooked buttermilk pancakes in both the commercial single and prosumer double. They turned out exactly the same. Yeast waffles on the other hand came out more like cake in the commercial single, and more like bread in the prosumer double. I I think I like it the way the commercial version does it. I might have to do some more testing to see if I can make it light in the prosumer double. Either by messing with the temperature or using cake flour.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 4, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you get a better oven spring in the more powerful pro? Were you using the same amount of batter in both?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno, i didn't measure carefully. I'm going to test it out some more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Edit: I know nothing of cheese knives and I got some cheap ones. They are squared off edges, 1mm thick. Is this normal? Should I sharpen these cheese knives?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 5, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was at a thrift shop and saw a kitchenaid artisan with 3 bowls that wasn't marked. I figured I could try to buy one the the bowls for my artisan and asked about the mixer. They said it would need a price and asked the manager to come out and price it. She hemmed and hawed a bit and said there was a cover that was supposed to go with it and pulled it out from under the table. She said it was an old mixer and priced it at $15. I decided I would take the whole thing.

It's missing the whisk and hook for $15 I figured it's worth it as a backup to my 2008 production artisan. Based on the metal paddle it's probably older than mine, is it going to be any better or stronger?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Take a picture of the other side, the writing near the power switch.
That's where the model number will be and that's how you can tell how old it will be.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Sticker is inside of the base

Model KSM150PSWW

My 2008-2010ish one is model

KSM150PSBU

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 10, 2016

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like it's basically the same as your other one just a different color palette.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'll probably just keep it as a spare because when I finally break mine I'm sure it will be more than $15 to fix it.

Maybe I'll paint it Hammered Green like I did my ninja Turtles blender.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

clearly you meant to say you painted it green hammered

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It was brown/tan and I like hammered green.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 11, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Sweet. I scored an Assistent (spelling is correct) for $80 on Craigslist. It's an older model, but it'll still make 15# of dough or so at a time, and it'll last a lifetime. I have to drive a couple hours to pick it up, but that is absolutely worth it - and I have business nearby anyway.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 11, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of KitchenAid mixers, GUESS WHAT'S ON LIGHTNING SALE!! :q:

(It's that KitchenAid Pro 600 in the Cobalt Blue color I've been wanting, now priced at $271 for like the next 2 hours and 40 minutes.)

EDIT: The Majestic Yellow one is even cheaper at $250. I might have to call my mom and tell her to pick one up for my dad for Christmas.

EDIT 2: Probably should link them both if I'm gonna be telling people they're on sale. Cobalt Blue here. Majestic Yellow here.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
my wife's ceramic deep-dish pie plate that she's had for years and that came from a store that no longer exists (apparently "cloth world") is developing cracks and she needs a replacement. Does anyone have suggestions for an awesome pie plate?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

my wife's ceramic deep-dish pie plate that she's had for years and that came from a store that no longer exists (apparently "cloth world") is developing cracks and she needs a replacement. Does anyone have suggestions for an awesome pie plate?

My wife has a Le Creuset that she seems to like a lot.

This one

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Emile Henry

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My kitchen is pretty well stocked, I could maybe use some prettier serving bowls or some copper cookware, but I generally buy what I need as I need it and try not to break the bank. Getting married and putting together a registry, is there any kitchen equipment someone would recommend as something that isn't standard but is nice to have? Right now its just a few semi-random coppers and a thermoworks. Might take the opportunity to replace some aging all-clad? My family really, really doesn't like gifting cash.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Depends; where is the registry going to be?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pressure cooker nerds: I have 6liter fagor I'm looking to replace. The Kuhn rikon 8 liter is $220, the Kuhn 7 liter is $165. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the 7?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Depends; where is the registry going to be?

It is with Thankful, so I can pull items from anywhere online.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Steve Yun posted:

Pressure cooker nerds: I have 6liter fagor I'm looking to replace. The Kuhn rikon 8 liter is $220, the Kuhn 7 liter is $165. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the 7?

I got the 8 when it was really cheap and it's good, yes, but the picture doesn't make it clear that it's really tall, really makes browning/stirring a pain. I would have preferred something squatter and wider. The 7 qt seems to have a different design.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Turns out the 7 is actually 7.4 so I guess I'll go with that

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nephzinho posted:

My kitchen is pretty well stocked, I could maybe use some prettier serving bowls or some copper cookware, but I generally buy what I need as I need it and try not to break the bank. Getting married and putting together a registry, is there any kitchen equipment someone would recommend as something that isn't standard but is nice to have? Right now its just a few semi-random coppers and a thermoworks. Might take the opportunity to replace some aging all-clad? My family really, really doesn't like gifting cash.

All clad set is good. When we got married, my husband's aunt - the keeper of the family Cajun cooking techniques - got me 3-5 pieces of Le Creuset that she figured I needed, which I use regularly (and they came with her recipes!). If you don't have a big Dutch oven or a braiser, those might be good things to considers. Upgrade your cooking tools, maybe? Some nice wooden spoons and the like. I also have two crock pots - one that's big enough to cook a toddler, and one that's a smaller multi-use device (pressure/slow/rice cooker etc). A nice, big wooden carving board could work too, one with a healthy channel around the edges is what I have my eye on when I next upgrade something in the kitchen. How are your knives?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I bought the black friday deal on an Instant Pot. Any tips on using it as a pressure cooker? A lot of recipes need to brown ingredients, but it also seems like that's not really possible with an electric cooker. Could/should I brown in a skillet beforehand?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One of the main reasons to get an instant pot is so you can brown in the same thing you're going to cook in. Have you tried it?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Booyah- posted:

I bought the black friday deal on an Instant Pot. Any tips on using it as a pressure cooker? A lot of recipes need to brown ingredients, but it also seems like that's not really possible with an electric cooker. Could/should I brown in a skillet beforehand?

You can still brown things in sauté mode, it's just not as fast as a skillet.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Turns out that the Assistent I got on Craigslist is the N24, not the N21. That's a difference of about 10 years.

I am incredibly lucky to have found this. They still go for $300-400 after 15 years of use. I opened it up and it's virtually pristine inside.

Time to bake a dozen loaves of bread, I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Please post pics, I'm curious about this unearthed treasure

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

I was at a thrift shop and saw a kitchenaid artisan with 3 bowls that wasn't marked. I figured I could try to buy one the the bowls for my artisan and asked about the mixer. They said it would need a price and asked the manager to come out and price it. She hemmed and hawed a bit and said there was a cover that was supposed to go with it and pulled it out from under the table. She said it was an old mixer and priced it at $15. I decided I would take the whole thing.

It's missing the whisk and hook for $15 I figured it's worth it as a backup to my 2008 production artisan. Based on the metal paddle it's probably older than mine, is it going to be any better or stronger?

I did find something wrong with it. There was what looked like old cooking oil around the steel band that says kitchenaid.

Turns out the factory grease had broken down into oil and was leaking. It took me 30 minutes to take it apart, scrape out the old grease and pack in some fresh bearing grease and it's good as new.

I guess it's a common problem with kitchenaids that get hot from being overworked and ones that sit for a long time without being used as either can cause the grease to separate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Please post pics, I'm curious about this unearthed treasure

It was for sale at $200, hence the sticker, but I talked the previous owner down.

The last picture is sitting next to my other high end kitchen appliance, the Magimix 5200XL, for scale. That's an 8 quart bowl, I believe - maybe 10. I store them on the floor because I don't have enough counter space to keep them out.

e: it's missing a LOT of accessories, but it has the stainless bowl, kneading rod, and scraper, and that's all I really care about. I have the whipping attachment for my food processor so I don't think I'll pick that up, but I would like to buy the pasta roller/cutter attachments and the meat grinder/cookie press/pasta extruder as well as the flour mill.

e: I'll post a video in the bread thread when I use it

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Heads up, a recall was issued for Cusinart food processor blades dating back to 1996.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/cuisinart-food-processors-recalled-by-conair