Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

a medical mystery posted:

id go e since it gives you stun duration and Q's %health damage is constant between levels

I've been going with Q max because you will Q 2-4 times a skirmish in lane and wall slam once. It's a significant damage increase in lane. Level E second for the stun duration. (and for anyone who was asking, you START E, and try to get a lvl 1 cheese stun if possible.)

I've been considering if I should run ignite on her instead of exhaust, it's a much more lane focused summoner but suPoppy with a few lane kills is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Nietzschean posted:

ended season in silver, placements put me at bronze5

goddamnit riot
Same here, I don't know if I can take the slog through bronze, especially with ADC being a basically useless role right now.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If it put you way below your mmr you just need to win 50% of your games and you'll gain twice as much LP for a win as you lose when you... lose. I got placed in Silver 1 and I've already gone gold 5 to gold 3 to gold 1.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm getting 4 loses worth of LP per win right now, how hosed am I.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

amazeballs posted:

I don't understand OTP players. There are so many good and fun champs; I can't imagine just playing one over and over. Examples of good and fun champs: Fiora and Fiora.

it helps that i'm a fundamentally broken human being.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

amazeballs posted:

I don't understand OTP players. There are so many good and fun champs; I can't imagine just playing one over and over. Examples of good and fun champs: Fiora and Fiora.

In pro games its because theres a lot of skill geowth/variance in exploiting heroes, even ones people think take "no skill". So rather than get 'pretty good' at 10 heroes they focus one 2-4 that are integral to their tourney strategy.

Getting godlike at a few heroes and a couple of item actives lets you pull off outplays like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdO2qLiDuk

Outside of pro teams? It's either emulating pros, MMO habits, or an unhealthy obsession with being The Carry.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Never understood one tricking personally. I am pretty much a meta whore but learning a new meta champ every few months is really fun. Once you learn it you can play it whenever it becomes op again. Also playing off meta champs is fun too but normally I would do it if they really counter enemy team. I feel like its hard to play off meta champs if your used to playing meta champs. I spammed Viktor last few months but since Rylais nerf his build path is weird. You can go raw damage but his ult is nowhere as sticky. So whenever you play meta champs and abuse their brokeness if they get nerfed you notice it and playing them doesn't feel as good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean OTP is basically a different side of the FotM/meta coin. You may not be getting super incredible at a single champ, but you're playing the champs that are in season or a little overtuned because you want to do well, just from a different perspective.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
When you really know a champ inside and out you often have more experience at even your bad matchups than your opponents do and will make the cool plays that can go on your youtubes. As a supp main I can play most supps but I usually have 3ish that cover a couple of different styles that I mostly focus on, particularly in ranked.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i'm not a slut and I'm loyal to my waifu, Ivern.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
There's a lot of variance outside of oneself in a game of League, I don't usually feel the need to make things even more different. You're interacting with nine other champs and encountering new situations all the time even if you only play one champ.

Also, I just like winning. Being ahead is more fun than being behind, and I have a great time being 5/0/35 on Ivern even if I just played ten games of him leading into that.

In this age of autofill, you basically can't be a true OTP unless it's a support champ and it's not Thresh. Best case, you're playing that champ in that role 80% of the time.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

i'm not a slut and I'm loyal to my waifu, Ivern.

Yes... hell yes

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am fickle like the north wind and will therefor never be as good as I could be because I'm constantly playing someone else every other game.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
As far as OTPs, three times now I've encountered my absolute IRL nemesis: an egotistical obnoxious streamer whose ign and maybe stream name is something like TheKingOfEloHell

He's been in high Plat forever as a Morde OTP across three roles. He pastes a long message asking people to play tanks with lots of CC, always links his stream, has super professional-looking setup despite having like seven viewers at a time. He clearly thinks of himself as a big deal on the internet and gets super whiny whenever things go poorly (often, since he's a morde OTP)

My last encounter with him, he did his long paste thing, there was a dodge, and I banned Morde before he had a chance to paste again. I went to his stream just in time to hear him angrily hiss "gently caress that guy" (after he dodged)

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Being a OTP doesn't necessarily require playing a billion games of a champ to learn them inside and out - sometimes a champ just clicks for you. You could probably call me a Sion one trick- I had a75% win rate with him in ranked but no other champ with > 50% - but he only accounts for about a third of my ranked games and none of my normals. For some reason I just understand Sion on a level that I don't for any other champ.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you always have that one champ that you pick when you just wanna chill

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Crazy Larry posted:

Being a OTP doesn't necessarily require playing a billion games of a champ to learn them inside and out - sometimes a champ just clicks for you. You could probably call me a Sion one trick- I had a75% win rate with him in ranked but no other champ with > 50% - but he only accounts for about a third of my ranked games and none of my normals. For some reason I just understand Sion on a level that I don't for any other champ.

That's not what having one trick means

You have other tricks

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

you always have that one champ that you pick when you just wanna chill

Teemo. :getin:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nietzschean posted:

ended season in silver, placements put me at bronze5

goddamnit riot

someone boost me to gold or something so i dont have to play with bronze vaynes

This was apparently a Thing Thing this year

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I do not respect 1 tricks

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

That's not what having one trick means

You have other tricks

I don't think losing counts as a trick but yeah, phone posting so my language is imprecise. Just saying you can be absurdly better at one champ for reasons outside of literally only playing it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

As far as OTPs, three times now I've encountered my absolute IRL nemesis: an egotistical obnoxious streamer whose ign and maybe stream name is something like TheKingOfEloHell

He's been in high Plat forever as a Morde OTP across three roles. He pastes a long message asking people to play tanks with lots of CC, always links his stream, has super professional-looking setup despite having like seven viewers at a time. He clearly thinks of himself as a big deal on the internet and gets super whiny whenever things go poorly (often, since he's a morde OTP)

My last encounter with him, he did his long paste thing, there was a dodge, and I banned Morde before he had a chance to paste again. I went to his stream just in time to hear him angrily hiss "gently caress that guy" (after he dodged)

ive played with this guy and he's very loving bad and annoying so i'm glad you caused him to dodge a game. there's another mordekaiser main but i see him playing sion a lot when mordekaiser is banned or is a really lovely pick

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

ImpAtom posted:

Support is the secret most fun to play because instead of worrying about sicknasty KDS you're worried about watching the battlefield, providing control and vision and locking things down and assuring those sicknasty plays happen. That lovely Vayne who gets 10 kills in a row because you set everything up perfectly? All you, baby.

I guess that's what every support tells themselves to sleep at night or something.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I think supp is a lot of fun to play during lane cause instead of spending all your time focusing on cs'ing your either try to make plays or stop plays but later in the game there's no question it's more fun get the kills off cc and not be every assassin's bitch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I guess that's what every support tells themselves to sleep at night or something.

ADC without support: Oh no I am being dived, help, I am dying, please save me, oh nooooo! Why did I dare to think I could survive on my own?!
Support without ADC: Just gonna be over here providing vision, saving lives, saving stupid people from mistakes.What's that, I just saved my entire team from dying and turned a teamfight around singlehandedly? Gosh, that's a normal day for me, a support.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

ADC without support: Oh no I am being dived, help, I am dying, please save me, oh nooooo! Why did I dare to think I could survive on my own?!
Support without ADC: Just gonna be over here providing vision, saving lives, saving stupid people from mistakes.What's that, I just saved my entire team from dying and turned a teamfight around singlehandedly? Gosh, that's a normal day for me, a support.

I mean you could get a similar feeling on a mid with good picks or a tanky top with good engage like malph/mao. Not to shortchange what a supp does or anything but a lot of champions can swing teamfights by themselves while actually having money and items to do stuff on their own.

I like supporting but there's a reason it's the least popular role and no amount of handwringing is gonna convince people that they'd really rather play janna.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean you could get a similar feeling on a mid with good picks or a tanky top with good engage like malph/mao. Not to shortchange what a supp does or anything but a lot of champions can swing teamfights by themselves while actually having money and items to do stuff on their own.

I like supporting but there's a reason it's the least popular role and no amount of handwringing is gonna convince people that they're really rather play janna.

Oh, I don't care that people don't like to play support. It makes it easier for me to get the role I enjoy. I'm not being entirely serious here.

(except the part where babby adcs need to be carefully cultivated so they don't run face-first into the enemy and die. That is unarguable fact.)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I think supp is a lot of fun to play during lane cause instead of spending all your time focusing on cs'ing your either try to make plays or stop plays but later in the game there's no question it's more fun get the kills off cc and not be every assassin's bitch.

It depends on the support. Janna is super boring during laning, as is every support that's weak in lane, but champs like Leona, Brand, and Nami are really fun because you can be so aggro. During skirmishes Janna is the coolest, and I'd rather shoot myself than try to play a lane bully support during a teamfight when I'm behind.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
guess that's why faker plays support.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol @ me tho i play support in most games.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The fun in support is making all the Riven, Vayne, and Yasuo mains cry into their pillows at night about how they could have made that one sick play but THAT loving JANNA.

Support has a ton of leverage just by being the exhaust bitch, actually. I've had entire games swing around the fact that I exhausted the 10-0-x orianna ultimates on cooldown, which allowed our team to survive them, or getting a surprise wall stun on a unsuspecting carry that causes the game winning dogpile, or just being the guy who brought pink wards to baron and dragon. Support Main/Support Life.

Being the one who refuses to let anyone die is more fun to me than doing all the damages. But I do like doing damages, which is why I also play a lot of Zyra and Sona.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the support situation in LoL is a good indicator of the human-psychological basis for the impossibility of peace on earth and any genuine "social progress."

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

stump collector posted:

ive played with this guy and he's very loving bad and annoying so i'm glad you caused him to dodge a game. there's another mordekaiser main but i see him playing sion a lot when mordekaiser is banned or is a really lovely pick

He tried to tell me that Ivern was a bad pick and that I needed to play a tank jungler

a) Ivern is the only jungler I really play
b) Morde and Ivern actually have incredibly good synergy because of the shields, CC, and giving Morde a dash
c) YOU ARE A MORDE ONE TRICK PONY.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mistaya posted:

The fun in support is making all the Riven, Vayne, and Yasuo mains cry into their pillows at night about how they could have made that one sick play but THAT loving JANNA.

Support has a ton of leverage just by being the exhaust bitch, actually. I've had entire games swing around the fact that I exhausted the 10-0-x orianna ultimates on cooldown, which allowed our team to survive them, or getting a surprise wall stun on a unsuspecting carry that causes the game winning dogpile, or just being the guy who brought pink wards to baron and dragon. Support Main/Support Life.

Being the one who refuses to let anyone die is more fun to me than doing all the damages. But I do like doing damages, which is why I also play a lot of Zyra and Sona.

Every time I'm playing an engage champ against Janna I am reminded of why I play Janna

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

just poo poo talk him on his stream in front of his 7 viewers lmao.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

He tried to tell me that Ivern was a bad pick and that I needed to play a tank jungler

b) Morde and Ivern actually have incredibly good synergy because of the shields, CC, and giving Morde a dash

Yeah Ivern is the only champ in the game that can make Morde relevant after 15 mins, that dude is legit retarded

stump collector
May 28, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

he tells people how to play and position but he's 150% garbage at everything, his only wins clearly come from people not realizing that mordekaiser hurts and if he gets farmed you can't 1v1 him

i just skipped around a game in his last stream and he's super toxic, telling everyone what to do, and is singlehandedly responsible for throwing the game due to three consecutive 1vX scenarios. the game ends with every one of his teamates asking for him to be reported

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

It depends on the support. Janna is super boring during laning, as is every support that's weak in lane, but champs like Leona, Brand, and Nami are really fun because you can be so aggro. During skirmishes Janna is the coolest, and I'd rather shoot myself than try to play a lane bully support during a teamfight when I'm behind.
My favorite is being behind on tank supports, basically best of all worlds.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also the 2016 season review on leagueoflegends.com is really neat, except they seem to think I should play Shen support in 2017. Nice try guys, but you hosed it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
just got to see the MORD GOD mess up 6 of 7 minions in a cannon wave, completely uncontested. twitch is a treasure sometimes

• Locked thread