Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Has the Star Citizen twitter account tweeted "RedTube" or similar yet, or this level of (OUYA team) incompetence has not been matched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

See you in the mesh.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
So RSI UK filed their accounts today. There isn't much to see, for reasons that will become immediately apparent, but they confirm the money moves around needlessly. I made a flow chart in MS paint for 2015 of the information so far.

The Star Citizen funding chart apparently showed $36m in 2015 with $3.3m of that coming in January, leaving $33m for February to December. Using an exchange rate of £1 : $1.55 for 2015 would put a total value of ~ £21m for February to December 2015 for the Star Citizen funding chart. That is clearly a material difference to the £15m that was shown in the accounts of Roberts Space Industries International Ltd.

When the UK parent company files their accounts there should be some more information on inter-company relationships.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
tax evasion hollaaaaa

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Holey Moley

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I loving love this av, thank you.

That's an avatar, alright! :stare:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

But how am I supposed to know who to send unsolicited dick pics to?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

But how am I supposed to know who to send unsolicited dick pics to?

Just follow what Wulf does.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

there's been a few places I've known personally and professionally that have done this

it starts off as a delay tactic because of course there's going to be money coming in, look at our AR and P&L and there's money right loving there, it'll be here soon

well no one told me the stuff I'm seeing on those books was wrong or off or cooked up, but I'll get an investor to cover our poo poo

so another month goes by and now my employees haven't been paid and while I havent secured more cash yet, I'm sure it's coming soon (I am still paying myself, however)

by month three people are still coming in and I'm amazed how dumb they are and I get the gently caress out of there and shut down all high level communications because they'll figure out that the company isn't actually around when they come into work one day and the building management company is asking for me before they turn off the lights

This is as depressing as it is realistic. I've seen stuff like this happen at pretty big levels, like an entire factory. One day people come to work and the gates are chained up. What a great surprise for everybody. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lazorexplosion posted:

Try posting a troll that is cool and funny. For example, pretend to have secret evidence that Facts Are Useless is a Star Citizen backer, and then once you've worked everyone up with that, post a link to a picture of your balls as evidence. With a little creativity you can do so much better than obsessively posting grandma's first concern troll attempt every six hours, each more boring than the last.

Let's do this together, friend. I'll supply the comical post, you supply the required balls.

It will be super funny and the whole thread will slap their foreheads in unison and go "Aw man!" :)

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

The Titanic posted:

This is as depressing as it is realistic. I've seen stuff like this happen at pretty big levels, like an entire factory. One day people come to work and the gates are chained up. What a great surprise for everybody. :(

No Spoilers :argh:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2016

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Don't forget to gift a ship with your dick pic so the lady in question feels obligated to pay you back. Sexually.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DapperDon posted:

To be fair, he wasn't wrong. I believed in it too, that is why I bought my starter package. I know nothing about game development or anything of that nature to be able to see what you guys have shown me. It wasn't until I started seeing some really major production missteps and how they conducted themselves as a business entity that I started to see the red flags that this project was a scam. The "community" was what settled it for me. I worked on the $cientology Superpowers building in Clearwater, Fl and got to see first hand what a Cult backing a scam was really like. I just kept my mouth shut and collected my $$ as long as they threw it at me. Once you are around that level of crazy, you can see it when it pops up in other places.

To be fair, you were both wrong. If you're going to pay $45 for a videogame, it's fair enough to say "This is from someone who's made games I liked in the past, I'll give it a shot." If you're looking at putting hundreds or thousands of dollars into a videogame... well, frankly you're in an idiot if you're not being treated like an actual investor with returns based on what you invest. Ignoring that, you still should do some due dilligence to see who's going to be spending your money. It doesn't take much research to find that Chris Roberts is someone who got lucky early in his career by getting his name plastered over other people's work and was a complete disaster whenever he had actual control over something.

I avoided all this by being a cheap bastard who hasn't paid full price for a game since Metal Gear Solid 3 on the PS2, and who never preorders anything. I found this thread (well, the last one, but you know what I mean) because I'd been periodically checking up on Elite and SC for a few years. Found it curious that Elite was a released game while SC was still in pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha, started looking around and ended up here.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Double post due to refreshing the page when it failed to load. I r good at internet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lobus posted:

But guys look at the fidelity of this helmet

This is definitely an asset in a real time 3D game. I bet these can be rendered on 100s of characters simultaneously, which will also easily have over 2 million polys each, probably more.

It's a good thing CIG nabbed the super versatile CryEngine before the company went out of business, because no other engine is capable of supplying the required level of fidelity.

Star Citizen is #1 on my Christmas list. :allears:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

shrach posted:

So RSI UK filed their accounts today. There isn't much to see, for reasons that will become immediately apparent, but they confirm the money moves around needlessly. I made a flow chart in MS paint for 2015 of the information so far.

The Star Citizen funding chart apparently showed $36m in 2015 with $3.3m of that coming in January, leaving $33m for February to December. Using an exchange rate of £1 : $1.55 for 2015 would put a total value of ~ £21m for February to December 2015 for the Star Citizen funding chart. That is clearly a material difference to the £15m that was shown in the accounts of Roberts Space Industries International Ltd.

When the UK parent company files their accounts there should be some more information on inter-company relationships.

See stuff like this is why I continue to browse the thread.

Someone please make up some lazy trolls about why this is bad and I should feel ashamed.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I don't get the complexity of this helmet, it looks really silly. There are so many moving, mechanical parts, you can bet it will stop working one week after the warranty expires.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

To be fair, you were both wrong. If you're going to pay $45 for a videogame, it's fair enough to say "This is from someone who's made games I liked in the past, I'll give it a shot." If you're looking at putting hundreds or thousands of dollars into a videogame... well, frankly you're in an idiot if you're not being treated like an actual investor with returns based on what you invest. Ignoring that, you still should do some due dilligence to see who's going to be spending your money. It doesn't take much research to find that Chris Roberts is someone who got lucky early in his career by getting his name plastered over other people's work and was a complete disaster whenever he had actual control over something.

I avoided all this by being a cheap bastard who hasn't paid full price for a game since Metal Gear Solid 3 on the PS2, and who never preorders anything. I found this thread (well, the last one, but you know what I mean) because I'd been periodically checking up on Elite and SC for a few years. Found it curious that Elite was a released game while SC was still in pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha, started looking around and ended up here.

All I did was buy a starter package for $45. There is not a video game out there that is going to compel me to spend more than $60 for a new AAA game. In fact I only buy games that are on sale or used. The only exception to that if it is one that my son wants really bad and has earned it like he did when he made the Honor Roll, then I let him pick 2. Outside of that, no way. I am more than grateful to the spergs that buy a new game on release day, finish it in 2-3 days and then see it on Craigs list or Gamestop for sale because they are bored with it.

E: I like savings the monies.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

shrach posted:

Reported for doxxing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
All those polygons and that helmet is still a complete wiff on fidelity, so very Star Citizen.

Inexplicable articulation of a whole bunch of moving parts that serves no purpose whatsoever other than making the design implausible, baffling, fragile, and plain loving dumb. Animation for the sake of animation. It's reminds me of being high on psychedelics and there's always that one idiot at the party with no clue that starts waving his hands in front of your face going 'oooh' while convinced he's trippy, hip and clever.

e: a dumb

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 13, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

See you in the mesh.

You'll never see another person in there. Too many vertices between them to make anything out on the other side.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sarsapariller posted:

See stuff like this is why I continue to browse the thread.

Someone please make up some lazy trolls about why this is bad and I should feel ashamed.

You gave Christ Robber thousands of dollars.

Twice.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

That's how one Crytek idiot saw things after last time they hosed up their employees wages, hope they're more graceful this time around

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Some of our precious snowflake employees got angry after we hosed up paying them for only two months or so :argh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Exinos posted:

Don't forget to gift a ship with your dick pic so the lady in question feels obligated to pay you back. Sexually.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Dick pic = kind email reply and or being called out like a creep

Dick pic & ship = real actual sex with a real woman and or being called out like a creep

This is the going exchange rate I believe these days. If you're a woman you're clearly obligated to follow these set in stone rules. Please be aware of the and/or rule in there as well. Gamble appropriately Citizens!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's how one Crytek idiot saw things after last time they hosed up their employees wages, hope they're more graceful this time around

I would probably not count on it. In the instances I've been involved in, the guys at the top all get out fine, and go play CEO at a different company or something. They safeguard themselves first, run it into the ground second, and worry about employees somewhere between six and seven of that list. :(

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thoatse posted:

Sarsapariller posted:

You gave Christ Robber thousands of dollars.

Perfect.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the guys who run crytek are loving awful, fyi

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

I would probably not count on it. In the instances I've been involved in, the guys at the top all get out fine, and go play CEO at a different company or something. They safeguard themselves first, run it into the ground second, and worry about employees somewhere between six and seven of that list. :(

They don't worry about the employees at all. It barely occurs to them. Because why bother? Even if a few of them eventually report the delayed/unpaid wages to the labor authorities, only the insolvent, illiquid company will be held accountable, not the executive decision-makers who authorized such lovely behavior. A meaningful clawback of executive compensation in bankruptcy court doesn't seem likely, even if poo poo gets that far. :smith: The Crytek brothers won't feel any pain besides bruised egos, and the people who were unpaid or paid very late over the span of however many months will have to scramble to pull together the parts of their lives disrupted by not receiving their rightfully owed wages for work done at Crytek's behest.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. "Yeah, they were getting worked up just because we hadn't paid them for a couple of months! As if we owed them money or something! Crazy."

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. "Yeah, they were getting worked up just because we hadn't paid them for a couple of months! As if we owed them money or something! Crazy."

I wonder if the brothers have ever personally had real money troubles? Because that attitude seems to indicate "no." What that guy seems most troubled by is failure, not unprofitability, and that's an ego concern, not a survival one. Thus it makes sense why he'd be bewildered about his employees being upset by nonpayment. He assumes they're all in this together -- and "this" is his success.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

quote:

• 2.6 is being rebranded as 3.0 (with flight model and "sm"). 3.0 is now 3.1 and will come out "later"
  • chris is currently trying to see if he can spin the problems with crytek as the reason for the current delays
  • holiday bonuses for VPs only

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 13, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nicholas posted:

2.6 is being rebranded as 3.0 (with flight model and "sm"). 3.0 is now 3.1 and will come out "later"

chris is currently trying to see if he can spin the problems with crytek as the reason for the current delays

what? No way, that doesn't make sense.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

i know im making this up but its really fun

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

thus it's the perfect solution

REJECT REALITY
EMBRACE NONSENSE

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Star citizen lol more like shart shitizen

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

2.6 is being rebranded as 3.0 (with flight model and "sm"). 3.0 is now 3.1 and will come out "later"

chris is currently trying to see if he can spin the problems with crytek as the reason for the current delays
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rah! posted:

Star citizen lol more like shart shitizen

:eyepop: