Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Goddammit I am not visiting plumperpass.com to see full video and thousands more, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Just tell me what happens

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008

Ork of Fiction posted:

Neon Demon felt like it just kind of fell off the rails. Unsuccessful metaphor/symbolism, imo. Maybe I should pay closer attention.

I just watched that a couple of days ago, and I have no idea what actually happened or didn't in that film. I enjoyed it for what it was though.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zorodius posted:

This is the worst one:

In Beyond the Black Rainbow, our heroine is desperately running to escape the twisted killer, and as he's chasing her he trips and hits his head on a rock and dies. The end.

Now that the Trump election happened, they should make a sequel where the villain is resurrected and runs around with a fake tan and MAGA cap.

Hollywood was always waaaay too optimistic about the future.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Se7en - it's like, ok what was in the box? :confused:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DrPossum posted:

Se7en - it's like, ok what was in the box? :confused:
Seriously, it's so loving stupid. A man getting head from his wife is not a dramatic twist, that's pretty normal in any marriage.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I got so mad at the ending of the second Pirates of the Caribbean that the person I was watching it with got mad at me.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Two pages and no one references Contact?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Genderfluent posted:

I am Legend: Typical action movie ending with a lot of violence. Bad because the original ending had a thought provoking twist where the zombies were actually quite intelligent and Will Smith is basically the bad guy. Would have been a much better movie with this ending
The book is fantastic.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

glowstick party tonight posted:

Two pages and no one references Contact?

If we bring in shyamalan movies it would could be 3 or 4 threads honestly

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
loving Cell
I felt cheated and violated

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ork of Fiction posted:

Neon Demon felt like it just kind of fell off the rails. Unsuccessful metaphor/symbolism, imo. Maybe I should pay closer attention.

I'm a huge sucker for fart huffing neon/glitter avant garde garbage so it delivered with the cinematography. But yeah wow that was somethingthing stupid. Hey look Hollywood eats young girls alive--literally!!! - Nicolas windfyr something

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

jBrereton posted:

The Abyss. Hokey!

I have the DVD with both the theatrical and director's cut endings, one of them cut a lot of that stuff out and was not as bad.

Professor Shark posted:

Let's talk about The Mist for several pages

I liked it more than the story and Stephen King liked it so I don't give a hoot :mad:

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

i do NOT like BBQ posted:

Agreed, that movie had a lot of potential and was only okay.

I thought the ending to The Babadook was a real let down. Felt like it was building to be a psychological thing, and they threw that away for a gimmick. Hit the same disappointing notes that Dark Water did.

babadook sucked rear end. i made the mistake of listening to the hype, so i went into it expecting a well-crafted, creepy story with a terrifying monster. instead i got an allegory about depression and addiction and the monster was a giant walking metaphor. what utter horseshit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

Well can you explain it? Cuz, I didn't.

It's pretty much just The Lady or the Tiger, a totally unresolved question left to the viewer (did he or didn't he?) There are other possible interpretations--you could argue e.g. that the cut to black is symbolic of blindness--but the simplest and most obvious one is that it's deliberately ambiguous. Also, I think it may be a purposeful reference to the actual short story The Lady or the Tiger. It's probably the best known, most archetypal literary example of this kind of ambiguous ending and it has several details that make a nice thematic fit (the dictatorial state arbitrarily marrying people off, with the binary outcome of "get married" or "death, personified as an animal".)

The difference is, The Lady or the Tiger is a very short short story with crystal clear focus and The Lobster is a meandering 2 hour movie. Even if you think the ending is theoretically a good idea, it's tacked on very poorly and doesn't provide any payoff for a lot of the movie.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Radical and BADical! posted:

babadook sucked rear end. i made the mistake of listening to the hype, so i went into it expecting a well-crafted, creepy story with a terrifying monster. instead i got an allegory about depression and addiction and the monster was a giant walking metaphor. what utter horseshit.

That and It Follows made me officially decide the internet was on drugs and i wasn't going to listen to it for movie suggestions anymore. Like, not normal good drugs. Weird ones.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Skeleton Ape posted:

That and It Follows made me officially decide the internet was on drugs and i wasn't going to listen to it for movie suggestions anymore. Like, not normal good drugs. Weird ones.

DUDE. It Follows loving blew so hard I forgot it even existed until you brought it up. What a stupid, unscary movie. This is what happens when corporations pay shills to pose as normal movie goers; it's basically a new generation of snake oil salesmen cheating you out of your hard earned money by selling you a product that just plain doesn't deliver. Honestly, the last "scary" movie I saw that lived up to the hype was Cabin in the Woods and that was more of a dark comedy anyway imo. gently caress movie hype.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DUDE. It Follows loving blew so hard I forgot it even existed until you brought it up. What a stupid, unscary movie. This is what happens when corporations pay shills to pose as normal movie goers; it's basically a new generation of snake oil salesmen cheating you out of your hard earned money by selling you a product that just plain doesn't deliver. Honestly, the last "scary" movie I saw that lived up to the hype was Cabin in the Woods and that was more of a dark comedy anyway imo. gently caress movie hype.

Please post your favorite 3 movies in 2016

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

TwoStepBoog posted:

I loved Whiplash, don't get me wrong, but JK Simmons and Miles Teller suddenly have a good relationship again because he played an awesome drum solo?
That suddenly fixes JK Simmons being a huge dick to his students and Miles Teller getting him fired?

they still hate eachother. their personal relationship is terrible but they both got what they wanted, to be a part of greatness

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
*adjusts glasses*

more like Citizen .... Kan't write a script am I right fellas?? Check out my blogspot.com for more zingers!!!!!!!!!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Xaris posted:

also really lovely opinion time: No Country for Old Men. The ending was actually very good+well done and i get what they were doing, but on a personal level it was unsatisfying to me since I wanted more as I was enjoying it a lot until then

I get ya. Thematically it works really well once you understand it but from a "thriller/chase movie" perspective it just killed itself dead.

The problem was more they made such a drat good thriller it couldnt help but dissapoint.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Midnight Special - looked like it was gonna be good and had a great cast but was such a loving let down. So glad I saw it on a flight rather than paying to see it in the cinema.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Take Shelter with Michael Shannon -- guy starts having nightmares of a cataclysmic storm coming: is he going crazy and hallucinating, or is he having prophetic visions? This is one movie that would have been better if it had ended ambiguously. Instead, the movie ends with him and his family at the beach. He looks out at the sea and gets a look of alarm on his face, and then his previously dubious wife joins him and looks equally horrified -- cut to a shot of a massive storm with black clouds approaching. It should have ended with just the shot of his and his wife's faces, IMO. Besides getting the central question answered so simply, the CGI on the storm was kinda lame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zorodius posted:

This is the worst one:

In Beyond the Black Rainbow, our heroine is desperately running to escape the twisted killer, and as he's chasing her he trips and hits his head on a rock and dies. The end.

What? That's the best ending. Not for what it's about, but because that pile of pretentious garbage is finally over.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
inception I sit all this time through this loving movie and WHAT HE gently caress DOES THE TOP STOP SPINNING OR NOT?????

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Please post your favorite 3 movies in 2016

Ok Doke.

Dylan
Dylan
Dylan

No seriously I have no idea because I didn't go to the movies much in 2016 what with having a long period of unemployment. I really liked Star Wars. I wanted to see Don't Breathe (although I suspect this is gonna be another "lovely scary movie lives up to literally nothing" sort of deal), Pete's Dragon (nostalgia) and I plan on seeing Rogue One (I'm no longer unemployed). On top of the fact I have a huge soft spot for unapologetically horrible horror movies I can laugh at (something along the lines of Big rear end Spider or Dead Snow) and don't mind spending money on such garbage.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Interstellar.

Welcome back spaceman Matthew. You lived for some reason. Now turn right back around and go back to Earth 2 but you don't tell anyone for some reason? I don't know this movie has been going on for way too long already so just roll with it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ok Doke.

Dylan
Dylan
Dylan

No seriously I have no idea because I didn't go to the movies much in 2016 what with having a long period of unemployment. I really liked Star Wars. I wanted to see Don't Breathe (although I suspect this is gonna be another "lovely scary movie lives up to literally nothing" sort of deal), Pete's Dragon (nostalgia) and I plan on seeing Rogue One (I'm no longer unemployed). On top of the fact I have a huge soft spot for unapologetically horrible horror movies I can laugh at (something along the lines of Big rear end Spider or Dead Snow) and don't mind spending money on such garbage.

Don't Breathe probably qualifies for this thread, but I never bothered seeing it so I couldn't say (I stopped wanting to see it after I heard about the last act.)

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

sea of trees. uhhghhggnh ken watanabe is my secret wife! fuckin hallmark greeting card ending.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
History of Violence.

Lol yeah turns out I am the bad violent mobster guy you kept saying I was. Total shocker right?

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seriously, it's so loving stupid. A man getting head from his wife is not a dramatic twist, that's pretty normal in any marriage.

It's not Brad's wife's head, it's a bomb. His wife is fine. That's why his partner calls for backup from the bomb squad.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

Don't Breathe probably qualifies for this thread, but I never bothered seeing it so I couldn't say (I stopped wanting to see it after I heard about the last act.)

I heard the exact same things which is why I didn't go spend money on it. Hopefully netflix puts it up at some point.

It's almost like people are just getting easier and easier to impress so writers/producers are just not trying as hard. This is honestly why I prefer something like a Big rear end Spider or an Icetastrophe over a serious attempt (like Don't Breathe) because you go into it KNOWING that it's terrible and you're supposed to laugh.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

it was me james

it was me all the time james

i am the author of all your recent bond films

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the end up 10 cloverfield lane is stupid as poo poo

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

the end up 10 cloverfield lane is stupid as poo poo

I disagree. I see why it should be stupid but I was enjoying myself.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

bag em and tag em posted:

Interstellar.

Welcome back spaceman Matthew. You lived for some reason. Now turn right back around and go back to Earth 2 but you don't tell anyone for some reason? I don't know this movie has been going on for way too long already so just roll with it.

He goes to have sex with Anne Hatheway

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

My confusion was specifically referring to the "don't tell anyone" part. Like he had to sneak away in the night. Pretty sure since he saved everyone and they thought he was a cool hero he could have just said "I'm gonna take off and go gently caress Anne Hathaway. See you when you get there."

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Fried Watermelon posted:

Oh please we all know she was getting her snatch turned out on the regs by monolith robot guy. I mean, I would.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith. I don't understand how this isn't always on the top of the list when this topic comes up. In my opinion, it had two underwhelming endings, even by my rather low expectations, that couldn't possibly have satisfied anyone in any way. It's over Anakin, I have the high ground and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It's :( bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Episode 3

Thursday: hmmm I am scared for my wife.
Friday: well this one guy said he could save her and all I have to do is murder all of my lifelong friends and allies and a classroom of small children. Sounds good.

• Locked thread