Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Space Flower posted:

I noticed the rudder time before I started playing it and got the rudder shift mod instead of propulsion, and had no problems with it. I don't much know what to tell you otherwise since the player base is doing well with it and I have like 60%/38k on it. Spam HE at fat ships while your torps are inc is basically my go to scenario

From inside smoke maybe, but if you pull around to shoot HE in the open you will die in 10 seconds flat, unless you're up against the worst of potatoes, because you have to straight line to use the guns properly, and the giant turning circle just begs for DDs and CCs to muller you when trying to run. Mahan does the same job with way more survivability, Kiev does it better without even needing the torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Yeah, that's what SI and premium smoke are for. If you pop one for the cap you've got 2 or 3 chances a game to pull up to a BB you're torping and go ham with HE and smoke. You're helping whoever's fighting him while doing potentially tons of damage. If I've survived past a cap I basically do nothing but stealth fire/torp and look for these opportunities

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I can't imagine running a DD without premium smoke any more. I've been doing OK with the Akatsuki, but I had already respecced my commander on the old Hatsuharu to take turret traverse instead of last stand. It sounds suicidal but generally I find that between premium damage control and premium smoke I can usually survive losing my engines twice, while the traverse combined with the flat IJN arcs means I tend to deal more damage than I take. You have to stay in the 7-8km sweet spot against enemy DDs though, at that range you can dodge most US DD shells but any closer and they'll rip you apart. I haven't played new Hatsuharu but it's just the same as the old one except a tier lower, right?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I'm getting tired of telling my team not to go to the obvious trap areas on maps just to have one guy say. LOL, NO, EVERYONE GO THERE.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

no bones about it posted:

Lighting a battleship on fire and watching him put out the fire and then blunder into my torp wall with his DC on cooldown makes my dick hard, how about you?

(I never usually get this lucky :smith:)

I got to do this last night in my Fletcher. A Bismarck was on fire, put it out with DC and promptly ate 3 of my torpedoes as he came around the corner of an island. He died from fire and flooding. I'm guessing a fire tick killed him because I didn't get the kill.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Don't mind NTRabbit. Being terrible and objectively wrong about things is pretty much his posting gimmick.

3*3 is hilariously effective when you know how to use it.

Of course, the Shiratsuyu gets even more stupendous with the reload consumable turning her into a T7 Shimakaze every few minutes.

Scikar posted:

I can't imagine running a DD without premium smoke any more. I've been doing OK with the Akatsuki, but I had already respecced my commander on the old Hatsuharu to take turret traverse instead of last stand. It sounds suicidal but generally I find that between premium damage control and premium smoke I can usually survive losing my engines twice, while the traverse combined with the flat IJN arcs means I tend to deal more damage than I take. You have to stay in the 7-8km sweet spot against enemy DDs though, at that range you can dodge most US DD shells but any closer and they'll rip you apart. I haven't played new Hatsuharu but it's just the same as the old one except a tier lower, right?

Yeah, it's basically the old one a tier lower and with faster-firing guns. The Shiratsuyu is the same boat except you get more speed, quad launchers and the reload consumable.

And then the Akizuki is... special. And hilarious in its own way.

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 13, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Magni posted:

The Shiratsuyu is the same baot except you get more speed, quad launchers and the reload consumable.

Strange that the one with quad launchers, plus the reload gimmick, a sub 7km detection range, faster rudder, and 50m smaller turn radius is also the one universally considered awesome, and the one without those things most definitely is not. Akatsuki is just bad.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What the hell gently caress is this?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I hope you jumped on that sweet 1800 credit discount.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I keep getting offered the Lo Yang for 6k doubloons. They must notice how much I play destroyers?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blindeye posted:

I keep getting offered the Lo Yang for 6k doubloons. They must notice how much I play destroyers?

Plus they probably want to sell as many Lo Yangs as possible before the German DDs steal its gimmick.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

There is exactly one ship I would spend 100 dollars on, in an instant. The Kitakami.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Blindeye posted:

They also notice how much gold you're hoarding.

At one point I had something like 10-20K doubloons in my account and instantly got an "-5% on a yearly sub" offer.

There is exactly one ship I would spend 100 dollars on, in an instant. The Kitakami.

I played that thing during Alpha and it's nowhere as much fun as it was in Navy Field. Except maybe for that moment when I drowned a careless Yamato in the torp soup...

Ultimately it's just a Kuma hull, which has no chance of survival when put at T8.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 13, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hammerstein posted:

At one point I had something like 10-20K doubloons in my account and instantly got an "-5% on a yearly sub" offer.

which is an awful deal, especially considering there was just a 50% off a year of premium on black friday week

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

which is an awful deal, especially considering there was just a 50% off a year of premium on black friday week

It was also worse than the usual weekly/monthly ship and doubloon packages. When it comes to money in WoWs I'm bad enough to own a Missouri, but even I didn't fall for that offer.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hammerstein posted:

Nope! The most I have ever had is 1150 gold. They want me to impulse buy a ton of gold to buy the ship.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I generally have 2-3k in doubloons in my account and have got offers for the Lo Yang and Indianapolis. I went for the Lo Yang though, haven't played it much though, had to save up money for the concealment mod.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I just got this, but for Type 5.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I had never gotten a special offer ever before this shitacular one.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Despite my bad day yesterday, I have embraced brawling in battle boats and it is good. :black101:

Timmy Horsey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 13, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've yet to receive a special offer on NA, but have gotten several equally bad offers, such as 3 port slots for 250 doubloons on Asia.

From what limited I've seen of German destroyers, they won't outright replace Lo Yang, just have a better gimmick at tier 8. They also seem to have IJN levels of steering with added fatness.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

BB brawling is one of the most beautiful aspects of this game and I wish pubbies would stop being deathly afraid of getting below 20km distance.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hammerstein posted:

BB brawling is one of the most beautiful aspects of this game and I wish pubbies would stop being deathly afraid of getting below 20km distance.

Even better if you can talk someone on your team to follow you. Two ships forcing someone to make bad decisions on their armor angling is great, and the higher ROF on a Koing keeps people turning a lot.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Timmy Horsey posted:

Despite my bad day yesterday, I have embraced brawling in battle boats and it is good. :black101:

Never have I felt so drunk with power as when I can motor into knife fight range in a German BB

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Killdozering pubbies in a Scharnhorst (preferably 2-3 in a division) never gets old.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Magni posted:

Don't mind NTRabbit. Being terrible and objectively wrong about things is pretty much his posting gimmick.

NTRabbit posted:

Akatsuki is just bad.

Thank you for graciously and promptly providing an example. :v:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I feel dirty whenever a Mogami gets into my mid-range.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Hammerstein posted:

I feel dirty whenever a Mogami gets into my mid-range.

Speaking of Mogamis...

Whats a good Commander point distro for one? I went superintendent on my Taco just for the extra repair, but I figure that might be overkill here. Worth getting the +25% torp notice?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lobsterboy posted:

Speaking of Mogamis...

Whats a good Commander point distro for one? I went superintendent on my Taco just for the extra repair, but I figure that might be overkill here. Worth getting the +25% torp notice?

Do you plan to move that Commander to the Ibuki? If so maybe get Superintendent.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Superintendent if you want an extra repair (on Atago, Ibuki, Zao) and especially if you don't run sonar, Vigilance if you want to buff your sonar's torpedo detection even more and be less vulnerable to surprise torpedo shenanigans.

Demo expert is pretty non-negotiable for IJN CAs, HE is your bread and butter, so make it better. Your AA is poo poo anyways, AFT and MAA are sort of not great.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Superintendent if you want an extra repair (on Atago, Ibuki, Zao) and especially if you don't run sonar, Vigilance if you want to buff your sonar's torpedo detection even more and be less vulnerable to surprise torpedo shenanigans.

Demo expert is pretty non-negotiable for IJN CAs, HE is your bread and butter, so make it better. Your AA is poo poo anyways, AFT and MAA are sort of not great.

AFT is a fine choice on the Zao, the fire chance is so high anyway that you're not going to miss an extra 3%. But it's going to be a weak bonus on the Mogami so it's a "plan ahead" skill like Superintendent.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The Alabama is going to be a reward for super testers only.

:vd:

Durendal fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 14, 2016

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I get that shooting your guns is a thing on Japanese destroyers, but boy, why is the rate of fire on the gunboat line so terrible?

Talking specifically about the Minekaze: I feel terrible in her. Average damage seems okay (27.000 so terrible by Good Player™ standards but it's already more than double the ship's HP so...) but this ship feels like it has very little going for it. The Tier 2 American DD already has a better rate of fire than it, by two whole seconds, and it only gets more ridiculous the closer you get to tier 5. The Gnenvy can fire up to twelve kilometers, and the reload time is only 5 seconds even though it's 130mm cannons. That's four and a half seconds faster than the Minekaze's 120mm's.

The torps are *okay* but the whole reason I was excited for the Jap gunboats was because I was already terrible using them and wanted to avoid that, but didn't want to play dirty communist ships to get my gunboat vibes going. But ship compare on WoWS-numbers shows that the Minekaze has the worst survivability rating, the worst artillery rating, and the worst AA rating. It goes *slightly* faster by one and two knots, compared to the American and Russian DD's respectively, and it has a somewhat better rudder shift time than both, American a lot more pronounced than Russian. Torpedoes are better than both, Americans especially, but the Russians have way more damage per salvo as a range tradeoff, so it's up in the air what is actually better if you're good at pouncing on dudes from behind islands. It also gets detected from a range of 6.2 kilometers, which is better than both, but only by 0.5 kilometers compared to Russians and 0.7 compared to Americans, which would be significant on a Torpedoboat, but on a gunboat where the guns are singing all the time, a difference of less than one kilometer feels kinda superfluous as you'll be getting spotted as soon as you fire your guns anyway.

What does this ship even have over the other two destroyers? It feels like they gutted the torps by 3 kilometers to justify the RoF buff to the guns (I know the torps were gutted before the gunboat line was planned, but that just means this ship was even *worse*), but the guns are still lackluster and you still have to work the torps to have any chance to do good damage in a match. It's faster but flimsier, it has a smaller detection radius but also the worst range by *far*, and the rate of fire... christ.

I don't actually have a bad winrate on this ship (64%, but only 36 games played, so I imagine it's no big deal). But even though I want a Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu, I dread clicking that Battle button on the ship, because I feel like a confused underdog who can't figure out if he wants to focus on being a gunboat or a torpboat, and inevitably gets bullied by Nicholases all match long. How are you actually supposed to play this ship?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, the nerfed Minekaze is irredeemable garbage now. They went overboard on nerfs for a ship that was arguably only a little strong for its tier. Now its a ship that can get pummeled by even ships a tier below it. Quite sad.

In other news... ALL PLANES MUST DIE

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I get that this game is a feel free to pay model but the battle service cost of the Bismarck is ludicrous. I just did 78k damage sank 2 ships and won the game and my net was just 33k credits. I am guessing premium account is pretty much required if you want to make any money at all?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MikeC posted:

I get that this game is a feel free to pay model but the battle service cost of the Bismarck is ludicrous. I just did 78k damage sank 2 ships and won the game and my net was just 33k credits. I am guessing premium account is pretty much required if you want to make any money at all?

How many premium consumables are you using? Camo? Those cut into profits very quickly especially without premium. Also, doing 78k damage might still not get you a lot, if that damage was spread over lower tiered BBs and your kills were only last hits. Profits are based on % damage done to enemy ships, kills play a role but a smaller one. Also caps, resets, plane kills, and tanking/spotting earns you additional credits, so if you bluelined the whole match and never got shot at or contested a cap you may not see much money, even if you did a decent amount of damage.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I just got this too, and it's also my first offer ever. Think WG has done something.

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, the nerfed Minekaze is irredeemable garbage now. They went overboard on nerfs for a ship that was arguably only a little strong for its tier. Now its a ship that can get pummeled by even ships a tier below it. Quite sad.

In other news... ALL PLANES MUST DIE

Who was the retard who kept flying his planes into a Baltimore's AA umbrella?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OSad posted:

I get that shooting your guns is a thing on Japanese destroyers, but boy, why is the rate of fire on the gunboat line so terrible?

Talking specifically about the Minekaze: I feel terrible in her. Average damage seems okay (27.000 so terrible by Good Player™ standards but it's already more than double the ship's HP so...) but this ship feels like it has very little going for it. The Tier 2 American DD already has a better rate of fire than it, by two whole seconds, and it only gets more ridiculous the closer you get to tier 5. The Gnenvy can fire up to twelve kilometers, and the reload time is only 5 seconds even though it's 130mm cannons. That's four and a half seconds faster than the Minekaze's 120mm's.

The torps are *okay* but the whole reason I was excited for the Jap gunboats was because I was already terrible using them and wanted to avoid that, but didn't want to play dirty communist ships to get my gunboat vibes going. But ship compare on WoWS-numbers shows that the Minekaze has the worst survivability rating, the worst artillery rating, and the worst AA rating. It goes *slightly* faster by one and two knots, compared to the American and Russian DD's respectively, and it has a somewhat better rudder shift time than both, American a lot more pronounced than Russian. Torpedoes are better than both, Americans especially, but the Russians have way more damage per salvo as a range tradeoff, so it's up in the air what is actually better if you're good at pouncing on dudes from behind islands. It also gets detected from a range of 6.2 kilometers, which is better than both, but only by 0.5 kilometers compared to Russians and 0.7 compared to Americans, which would be significant on a Torpedoboat, but on a gunboat where the guns are singing all the time, a difference of less than one kilometer feels kinda superfluous as you'll be getting spotted as soon as you fire your guns anyway.

What does this ship even have over the other two destroyers? It feels like they gutted the torps by 3 kilometers to justify the RoF buff to the guns (I know the torps were gutted before the gunboat line was planned, but that just means this ship was even *worse*), but the guns are still lackluster and you still have to work the torps to have any chance to do good damage in a match. It's faster but flimsier, it has a smaller detection radius but also the worst range by *far*, and the rate of fire... christ.

I don't actually have a bad winrate on this ship (64%, but only 36 games played, so I imagine it's no big deal). But even though I want a Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu, I dread clicking that Battle button on the ship, because I feel like a confused underdog who can't figure out if he wants to focus on being a gunboat or a torpboat, and inevitably gets bullied by Nicholases all match long. How are you actually supposed to play this ship?

It's not a gunboat. It's a pure torpedo boat. Put camo on it to reduce the detection range to 6.0 km. You want to live in a narrow band inside the 7km torp range and outside the 6km detection range. You are incredibly dangerous to battleships in this zone.

Minekaze is a ship you pick to harpoon whales. Most of my Krakens have come in that ship.

You'll want premium smoke because it's tough to stay undetected for long. Once you're smoked up you can use the guns to try and start some fires. The guns are bad, but a lot of people think that means "unusable". Use em to finish off nearly-dead ships (I'm talking sub-3k HP here, these ARE bad guns after all) or for self defense--a 4-hit broadside on a US DD is still 2k damage, and the arcs are nice and flat and the velocity is pretty good so hitting isn't a problem.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pretty sure "most of your Krakens" are not in the post-nerf minekaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What did they actually change? TBH, the only thing I noticed is the reduced speed on the torps, and they're still fine considering you're making GBS threads them out every 30 seconds.