Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The arctic amplification we've been seeing is pretty clearly more severe than a lot of the more conservative estimates that had been made.

Does this have anything to do with increased arctic methane releases? Either as an effect or cause? It looks like atmospheric methane had leveled out and then surged up a bit from 2010-2015. Is there a (relatively) benign explanation for this like changes in agricultural activity, or are we beginning to see hints of the oh-poo poo methane bomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mozi posted:

As a reminder, Antarctica is currently melting far, far more quickly than in recent history:

We are at 7.2 standard deviations below 1981-2010 normal.

I hope the krill are ok :ohdear:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BattleMoose posted:

There literally isn't any other person dead or alive who has been more philanthropic, perhaps Warren Buffet but they are so of the same ilk. And you actually want to deride him. We absolutely live in different realities.
Never seen Cool Hand Luke, I take it?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Never seen Cool Hand Luke, I take it?

quote:

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Morbus posted:

The arctic amplification we've been seeing is pretty clearly more severe than a lot of the more conservative estimates that had been made.

Does this have anything to do with increased arctic methane releases? Either as an effect or cause? It looks like atmospheric methane had leveled out and then surged up a bit from 2010-2015. Is there a (relatively) benign explanation for this like changes in agricultural activity, or are we beginning to see hints of the oh-poo poo methane bomb?

Expansion of agriculture in the tropics looks like the culprit.

If the methane clathrates start to go though that's probably the signal to start buying land and guns.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Arglebargle III posted:

Expansion of agriculture in the tropics looks like the culprit.

It's one of the more likely explanations for the bulk of the increase, but part of the problem is that we don't inventory CH4 emissions in the same way that we do CO2 emissions. The sudden rise is probably a combination of agriculture, natural gas production/use, and natural causes, but nobody can say with 100% certainty in what ratio each is contributing.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

sitchensis posted:

If you were a billionaire with tens of billions of dollars, how would you try and 'solve' climate change?

I'd honestly start funding Mr. Burns style solutions, mega-projects which reduce insolation on a global scale. A solar shade* might be cheaper than supporting the tens of millions of likely climate refugees, and has a few bonuses going for it. We could adjust the affects if we need to fine tune it, and it affects the entire planet equally if it's well designed. Sure, we're talking a trillion dollar expense, but the planet is probably worth it.

* Does not solve ocean acidification, aquifer depletion or soil degradation. Just sea level rise, maybe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

sitchensis posted:

If you were a billionaire with tens of billions of dollars, how would you try and 'solve' climate change?

A) A massive social movement to implement and maintain widespread, affordable mass transit and stigmatize private ownership of internal combustion engines

B) An equally massive architectural/design movement to renovate and rebuild facilities on a conceptual level on upward to promote carbon-neutral/subtracting urban development, creating walkable cities with affordable housing

C) Immediately greenlight and maintain laboratories for direct carbon capture via algae farming, Global Thermometers, carbon nanotube sequestration

D) Combat ocean acidification/pollution via olivine mining, 3D ocean farming; triple-fund the Ocean Cleanup

E) Solar desalination plants

F) Massive reforestation/soil rehabilitation projects. Buy up as much land as I can with the express goal of resettling it with rehabilitative projects: soil sequestration, regenerative agriculture, etc.

G) Urban vertical farming; encourage the use of abandoned/empty space to maintain year-round LED-fueled aquaculture, and as long as I'm pushing a massive social movement, might as well get people interested in eating all this kelp I'm farming up

H) Naturally, massive investments in alternative energy sources. It isn't a bad idea to try to destigmatize modern nuclear reactors, but I'm already tilting at a lot of windmills here.

I) Throw moonshot money at viable, affordable cloned meat.

I'll probably think of more steps as I go, but the general idea would be to rope as many people as I could into treating it as a series of solvable problems/potential innovations. A more resilient, adaptive community can minimize the impact while simultaneously positioning itself to take full benefit of the disruptions it causes. In a way, there's opportunity here; our infrastructure is already falling apart, so this presents a chance to build it again and do it better. Also, just because it's cool, I'd probably throw some money at the technologies being produced to create a permanent lunar colony.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think Newman was more of a philanthropist, or at least in the same ballpark, because his company gave 100% of their profits to charity. There are other reasons, but I think that's enough that anyone claiming "biggest philanthropist" has to bring up Paul Newman. Climate change was one of his major causes as well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
'Tens of billions of dollars' is really not the amount of money people seem to think it is. The US government budget is about 4 trillion dollars. Per year.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

'Tens of billions of dollars' is really not the amount of money people seem to think it is. The US government budget is about 4 trillion dollars. Per year.

Well, sure, but that's not money that can just be spent combatting climate change, the budget (which runs a deficit) goes towards paying other necessary things.

I agree that tens of billions of dollars could maybe pay for one of those things on a global scale, but that sort of begs the question of "are we limited to tens of billions of dollars" in this Robin Hood fantasy of seperating the rich from their money or some sort of philantropic renaissance? Obviously not, we're talking trillions.

I have been harping on this previously, but the oligarchic tendencies of the global economy, laissez faire capitalism etc. cannot contribute to combatting global warming. Sooner or later, a receding global economy will have to come to terms with the fact that the sustainable, regenerative economic world requires us to change our preconceived notions of consumerism, mass production and economic/industrial growth and non-regulated markets and organisations into viewing these things a medieval, antedeluvian concepts devoid of any kind of sense of responsibility.

Currently, polluting is happening without the pollutor paying the actual cost of it. The entire system is a gigantic false economy that billions of people, mostly in the third world, will be paying for in very real and increasing consequences very soon.

Making the billionaires carry the costs of necessary changes first is equitable, socially responsible and very just in my opinion.

But then there's the problem of making that a practical reality.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 13, 2016

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Yeah, it's over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38301686

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah, see? Actions and not words.

Time to buy some land and guns.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Something that might be worthwhile to keep an eye on is that Antarctic sea ice is currently melting very, very quickly. In the last four days it has lost extent greater than that of California and Texas combined (1,119,629 km2) for a remaining extent of 8,769,622 km2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mozi posted:

Something that might be worthwhile to keep an eye on is that Antarctic sea ice is currently melting very, very quickly. In the last four days it has lost extent greater than that of California and Texas combined (1,119,629 km2) for a remaining extent of 8,769,622 km2.

Or you know just not and avoid being depressed over what you have no control over. :v:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I guess I'm the kind of person who would keep their eyes open after jumping off of a skyscraper (or being shoved off, I guess is a more appropriate metaphor.)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mozi posted:

Isn't it the peak of Antarctic summer?

The question is what's up in the Weddel Sea

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I had a too-long and spirited discussion with some Trump voters I met at a hotel bar in Virginia last week. When we got to global warming, of course one of them wanted to have the whole "we don't know how much is man made..." conversation, and I said:

"Look, we can actually stop having that argument now. It doesn't matter. Even if it's entirely man-made, we have crossed a line, and we're not going to be able to stop it. We're going to see water shortages, we already are. It's going to lead to massive destabilization in places which are already barely stable. Expect a good number of African governments to fail entirely, which is going to create migratory pressure on the EU unlike anything we've witnessed in modern history. Expect people to be machine-gunned down in large numbers. Expect governments which are basically stable now, to destabilize as a result.

We don't have to agree about what caused any of this; ice is melting, water is rising, and things are going to get a lot worse in our lifetimes. Stop thinking about what we don't agree on, I suspect we agree that machine-gunning people in large numbers to protect the sanctity of borders is something we'd all prefer to avoid, so we should talk about how we minimize that, because we likely can't actually avoid it."

That shut them up pretty well, they were a bit taken aback. And, loving good, the whole conversation made my head hurt.

Of course, the cause does matter a great deal and maybe there are yet things on that front which we could do. But, coaching the issue in those terms didn't seem useful in this context. I don't think it's alarmist at this point to say "millions of people will die from climate factors in my lifetime, maybe hundreds of millions". So, use that.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It is, it's no surprise that the Antarctic is melting now. It's just if you compare to the previous few years there's a really dramatic difference. Should be more clear when the December monthly total is up.

And yes, the Arctic is weird right now. It should start freezing up more but the volume is not going to recover and will probably be a record low heading into the melt season.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

36 more days == no sea ice?

I doubt the current rate will be maintained, but at the very least it's a signal that Antarctica isn't as stable as the models predict.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I don't really see how buying land and guns helps with any of this, other than maybe letting you live out your road-warrior apocalypse dream while society unravels. Of course, I own guns, and am expecting to buy some cold, relatively high-altitude land in the next year or two... for entirely different reasons than this thread.

There are all kinds of good reasons to suspect that densely populated coastal areas are not a great place to settle in to for the long term right now. I moved out of the DC/VA shitfest a month ago; good riddance.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Or you know just not and avoid being depressed over what you have no control over. :v:

Zactly.

Just picture yourself as the B-52 pilot in Doctor Strangelove all a whoopin' and a hollerin' riding the bomb down.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If anyone's interested in a live-action role-play of Snowpiercer:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/12/mitigating-the-risk-of-geoengineering/

quote:

Through extensive modeling of stratospheric chemistry, the team found that calcite, a constituent of limestone, could counter ozone loss by neutralizing emissions-borne acids in the atmosphere, while also reflecting light and cooling the planet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Any kind of Geo-engineering of the stratosphere makes me very fiddly because either:

A: It works, and we get to live

B: It doesn't work and we basically just doomed half of the ecosystems on the planet for nothing

C: It works too well and we all die

Also because that strategy game of which the name escapes me about preventing global warming that was released like 4 years ago provided me with an irrational fear of that solution.

Edit: poo poo it was 5 years ago and the name was Fate of The World. For those who still feel that they haven't grasped how spillover effects work within the context of the environment this game is an excellent place to start. :shepicide:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 13, 2016

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Any kind of Geo-engineering of the stratosphere makes me very fiddly because either:

A: It works, and we get to live

B: It doesn't work and we basically just doomed half of the ecosystems on the planet for nothing

C: It works too well and we all die

Also because that strategy game of which the name escapes me about preventing global warming that was released like 4 years ago provided me with an irrational fear of that solution.

As a software person the thing that freaks me out is that we don't have a test environment that's anything like production. It's more like, we test our code one line at a time in little VMs that don't support 0.1% of the IO of the production env or even run a remotely similar OS, and then we just force push to master, deploy the fucker and hope for the best.

On the other hand, at some point the alternative will be "server is down..."

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Now the reindeer are dying, too...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Department of Energy head told Trump's transition team they will not be complying in their request to name name's of climate researchers.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Department of Energy head told Trump's transition team they will not be complying in their request to name name's of climate researchers.

Holy poo poo, can you source this?
e: never mind I googled, we live in crazytown

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How did this happen

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How did this happen

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

the economist ran an article about how the exxon pick is cool and good so we're ok

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2016/12/private-emperor-public-envoy

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

the economist ran an article about how the exxon pick is cool and good so we're ok

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2016/12/private-emperor-public-envoy

:lol:, do these naive shits actually believe that him giving an inch in a speech means that he'll give a mile in practice? Especially when it's against the corporation and field he has sworn his life to. Jesus christ. :psyduck:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The price of failing to adapt ourselves to the realities of our climate is unimaginable and unacceptable, so it is not being imagined and not being accepted.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

Mother Theresa pretty much did steal from her charity. So things are going to be pretty much poo poo.

Awesome! Just what everyone needed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mozi posted:

The price of failing to adapt ourselves to the realities of our climate is unimaginable and unacceptable, so it is not being imagined and not being accepted.

Sadly, yes. :(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now, how good is the opposition towards the dismantling of national parks and the like by the Trump Administration? Good enough to block legislature?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Now, how good is the opposition towards the dismantling of national parks and the like by the Trump Administration? Good enough to block legislature?

Tea Party and friends have been running campaigns to encourage it. Its one of the must disgusting parts about the whole standoff at the National Wildlife Refuge, was that the GOP wants to seize public lands.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

That's really not fair.

The writing has been on the wall for a while.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

syscall girl posted:

That's really not fair.

The writing has been on the wall for a while.

There's a difference about the writing being on the wall and the wall invading Poland. Just ask WW2.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mozi posted:

That's it right there. I am myself some days tempted to just glaze my eyes over and go along with the "Exxon and Goldman Sachs leadership in the White House may look corrupt and regressive, but in fact..." narrative . It would be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What's that on the stages of grief? Bargaining?