Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm often kind of a craft beer snob, but I actually sort of like Alexander Keith's during my annual jaunt to Nova Scotia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

I'm often kind of a craft beer snob, but I actually sort of like Alexander Keith's during my annual jaunt to Nova Scotia.

It's considered an "import" in western Canada and it's goddamned bullshit.

If I ever end up back in Halifax though I'll probably go for Oland Export over Keith's. I have never seen it outside of Nova Scotia. Not even in Newfoundland.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have an aversion to the taste of beer that makes it so that I can stomach very few types, and even then I'd prefer to be drinking something else.

I guess not being able to drink with a lot of frequency isn't the worst thing that can happen? And it lets me justify my weed habit more easily. Still, I'm a little jealous of people who like the taste of beer, feels like there's a whole world out there I have no access to.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my family is full of alcoholics and drug abusers, so I don't drink

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I saw some screen shots for a new Inazuma Eleven game and I'm praying that it's not a Switch exclusive. I don't think I can handle another console that only has a dozen good games, even if those games are very good indeed. Playing Nintendo games is fun but the consoles spend more time collecting dust than being used.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If all I have at a given place is cheap beer I'll drink it and be all "it's like yellow seltzer water; Sad!"

But at the same time I won't stop drinking it either

Been doing the egg nog and brandy thing for the holidays- half or a little under half brandy in the mixture appears to be perfect for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

deadly_pudding posted:

In fairness, this is pretty reflective of Strange in the comics. Half of the stuff Dr. Strange gets up to on his own time boils down to "I know this spell is forbidden, but I really need it to stop the <current threat>" *unleashes massive curse upon his enemy, starts shooting tar out of his eyes, accidentally lets an elder god creep into Manhattan*

Like, the first thing he does in his new book is get extremely frisky with a demonic worm queen because he's just magical Tony Stark.

That's a very modern interpretation of the character, and I don't dig it. Strange used to be a lot more the wise spellcaster who prevents others from meddling with things beyond their ken.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

Lots of people will call you a square for this but honestly, being a teetotaler if you're worried about alcoholism is not a bad choice. My parents don't drink because they both had major drinking problems when they were younger and I think my brothers and I have just been really careful not to let it run away with us.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

:same:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I live in Wisconsin so I have no shortage of good and affordable beer to drink (and also good and too expensive beer). New Glarus Spotted Cow is a great "just sip this nice beer while you do other things" beer but New Glarus doesn't ship outside of Wisconsin so I suppose that's a useless recommendation if you don't live here :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

If all I have at a given place is cheap beer I'll drink it and be all "it's like yellow seltzer water; Sad!"

But at the same time I won't stop drinking it either

Been doing the egg nog and brandy thing for the holidays- half or a little under half brandy in the mixture appears to be perfect for me.

The only time I'll hit the cheap beer, ironically, is when it's not cheap anymore: at a Sox game, because it just feels so good to have a cold one in a plastic cup during the seventh inning stretch for some reason. The nog and brandy thing sounds awesome, I want to try that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm not picky about cheap beers, but it's not what I buy for myself. I won't be a dick and like reject a budweiser if it's what somebody offers me, though.

I guess if I had to rank cheap beers, it would be like, Bud>Labatt Blue>Coors>everything else

For mid-tier beers, I like Dundee a lot. It's like $10 for a seasonal variety 12-pack and perfectly decent. It's not as good as like a Southern Tier, but it's a perfectly acceptable flavor/value ratio.

For more expensive craft beers, my favorite is Southern Tier, with the exception of some of their weirder deserty beers. In general, I prefer ales, pale or otherwise, but I also like a porter or a dark lager once in a while.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Made homemade egg nog with a friend a couple years ago, the kind with a ridiculous amount of booze in it that you let hang out in the fridge for two+ weeks to mellow out. It was delicious but, well, all that's mellowing out is the flavor, the booze isn't going anywhere. Not something I'd recommend drinking more than a glass of if you have somewhere to be the next day, let's put it that way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PantsBandit posted:

I have an aversion to the taste of beer that makes it so that I can stomach very few types, and even then I'd prefer to be drinking something else.

I guess not being able to drink with a lot of frequency isn't the worst thing that can happen? And it lets me justify my weed habit more easily. Still, I'm a little jealous of people who like the taste of beer, feels like there's a whole world out there I have no access to.

I hated beer until I discovered one I like. Now I like most beers I probably would have found repulsive before then. Beer is a super diverse category of drink. There's probably a few out there you'd like.

If you're not interested in giving them a try then hey that's cool too, friend! I'll have a pint for you instead :beerpal:

Ostentatious posted:

This is a good and responsible decision.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I won't be a dick and like reject a budweiser if it's what somebody offers me, though.

Yeah, actually, that's the other thing: if a friend is offering me a free beer, I'm not going to be like "I can't stomach that pisswater!" or w/e, it's just basic politeness to say "Thanks very much, sláinte." and click cans together.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/808760510178947079

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. My single favorite beer is free beer. It's the best.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, actually, that's the other thing: if a friend is offering me a free beer, I'm not going to be like "I can't stomach that pisswater!" or w/e, it's just basic politeness to say "Thanks very much, sláinte." and click cans together.

I have very gladly and sincerely consumed all beers given to me, even those I really dislike. Getting offered a beer is like a social honor of sorts. The free price is just a bonus.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

:same:

I wish Two Brothers was available in OK, but I can't even ship alcohol here because OK is a bad state that happens to have a really good job I have.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
the only time to refuse a drink is if its something like tequila or something that's just gonna make everything a mess.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Fate series is weird. Was there ever a sequel? I feel like there is just the visual novel and a prequel (actual) novel and then a billion reintepretations of the cast in different genres of RPG. If it'd been made in the west it'd probably be on Fate 6: the wizard guy from the first game is a 50-something guy with a beard and a surrogate child figure by now. I don't know if that'd be any better, to be honest.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I like my regional craft beers, like Great Lakes Brewing Co., Columbus Brewing Co. and Elevator Brewing Co.. I prefer Pilsners and Lagers, and CBC has a double IPA called Bhodi that is 8.5% ABV that is on special for $3 where I play in a pinball league. Like pool, there's a sweet spot of intoxication where my level of pinball wizardry surges before plummeting with the next drink, and I have to figure out how to achieve and maintain that level before the semi-finals on Thursday.

Just another step towards the inevitable Compile Hearts Musou game.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LawfulWaffle posted:

I like my regional craft beers, like Great Lakes Brewing Co., Columbus Brewing Co. and Elevator Brewing Co.. I prefer Pilsners and Lagers, and CBC has a double IPA called Bhodi that is 8.5% ABV that is on special for $3 where I play in a pinball league. Like pool, there's a sweet spot of intoxication where my level of pinball wizardry surges before plummeting with the next drink, and I have to figure out how to achieve and maintain that level before the semi-finals on Thursday.

Just another step towards the inevitable Compile Hearts Musou game.

i live in cbus and i have never had a great lakes / cbus brewing / etc beer, i should probably get some sometime

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hell yeah, Great Lakes :hfive:

I'm from Ohio and introducing my dad to Great Lakes beers has, according to my mom, "ruined him." Now he doesn't drink Labatt or Corona like he used to, now he's all about pale ales, ambers, and stouts and rushes out to get whatever new beer Great Lakes has each season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I picked up Dragon Quest Heroes while it's only $22, mainly for my wife but who am I kidding

It definitely helps improve the Musou formula by having such awesome cute characters. The Healslime is my pal :3:

I'm still really disappointed that it's only single player. If it were 2-player like every other musou game it would be a day one for me.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/808238048785727488

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hell, same.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Five of us meet every week or so to play dumb board games and two guys are really generous about hosting (I do it when I can, but my wife normally has work super early the next day), and they always offer everyone some pretty nice beers. I bring a few along every other week or so to contribute, but they'd do it even if I didn't. It's nice to have generous friends.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Red Bones posted:

The Fate series is weird. Was there ever a sequel? I feel like there is just the visual novel and a prequel (actual) novel and then a billion reintepretations of the cast in different genres of RPG. If it'd been made in the west it'd probably be on Fate 6: the wizard guy from the first game is a 50-something guy with a beard and a surrogate child figure by now. I don't know if that'd be any better, to be honest.

Fate/hollow ataraxia is the VN sequel. Aside from that it is basically a huge mess of different reimaginings and hey guys this time we used the characters that we designed in the prototype or whatever. It's not as if it hasn't been milked to death, though perhaps in a different way than you might see in western IP. I don't think there'd be nearly as many little Saber figures hanging around, for one.

Trap sprung, I guess.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

boy are my arms tired posted:

i live in cbus and i have never had a great lakes / cbus brewing / etc beer, i should probably get some sometime

I also live in Columbus, and yes, you should totally try out a local brew. CBC and Elevator have restaurants that are connected to their breweries, and I went to the CBC one for my birthday a few years ago. I would recommend it for a night out.

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah, Great Lakes :hfive:

I'm from Ohio and introducing my dad to Great Lakes beers has, according to my mom, "ruined him." Now he doesn't drink Labatt or Corona like he used to, now he's all about pale ales, ambers, and stouts and rushes out to get whatever new beer Great Lakes has each season.

I don't know if their Turntable Pils is a new offering but it's my go-to if I can find it. Dortmunder Gold is second and Burning River Pale Ale third. I like grabbing the samplers but I'm not fond of porters so it's not the best value if I don't drink a fourth of the case.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 13, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bicyclops posted:

In terms of fight scenes, I either prefer for them to be quick and brutal and make me cringe (and to be used in an appropriate context), or for them to be an elegant dance in which there is very little sense of danger or violence. The fights were the only part of the Netflix Daredevil that I liked, because they were choreographed pretty darn well.

So I guess you're that guy who enjoys the lightsaber battles in the Star Wars prequels. Why would you want a fight scene that feels like there are zero stakes involved?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't know if their Turntable Pils is a new offering but it's my go-to if I can find it. Dortmunder Gold is second and Burning River Pale Ale third. I like grabbing the samplers but I'm not fond of porters so it's not the best value if I don't drink a fourth of the case.

I think Turntable's relatively new, and I like it a lot, same for Burning River. I like the Eliot Ness Amber, too. I still buy Great Lakes sometimes, even though I'm in Wisconsin and surrounded by other breweries. They do good work.

raditts posted:

So I guess you're that guy who enjoys the lightsaber battles in the Star Wars prequels. Why would you want a fight scene that feels like there are zero stakes involved?

I wouldn't call those an "elegant" dance. That description makes me think more of wuxia films, Crouching Tiger or Hero-style fights, where enjoying the choreography (and the story told through the choreography) is the whole point. Fights like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

the only time to refuse a drink is if its something like tequila or something that's just gonna make everything a mess.

This is possibly correct but your example......

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

raditts posted:

No, because those were not well choreographed and half of them are with CG robots and huge flashing lights instead of talented stunt performers. You enjoy them because they're essentially a dance - everyone knows, in the end, that the hero is going to win in most martial arts movies, even when he seems to be taking a beating. It's about an impressive visual experience.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I remember liking the racing scene from episode one but on giving it a rewatch, there's...no music? Which is kinda weird. So I swapped it out for Redline

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Being allergic to both orange and pineapple (and very much disliking colas) made it really easy to turn to beer for social drinking, can't do 90% of mixed drinks and wine makes you seem like you're too classy.

I really should get around to finishing Fallout: NV but I'm using a different computer and I'm afraid I didn't turn on steam cloud saves. :ohdear: Its not a big deal to catch up with the main story to the point I was at, but it'd feel weird.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While the subject of Star Wars without much lighstabers/force is on I'd like to play a sequel of Republic Commando.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jyrraeth posted:

wine makes you seem like you're too classy.

get it in a box; if that doesn't sufficiently declass you use the spigot on the box to funnel it into an empty beer can

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I'm still really disappointed that it's only single player. If it were 2-player like every other musou game it would be a day one for me.

Good news! They added multiplayer in the upcoming sequel

Too bad that the Berserk Musou is single player only though. That would've been a day one for me but I also don't like playing Musou alone and the Berserk one doesn't appear to have the extra gameplay elements of DQH to make it still worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been doing a bit better about cutting down on my drinking, but I still like the taste enough that I'm thinking about trying some non-alcoholics. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Locked thread