Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Juanito posted:

My TBB secret santa experiences were generally mediocre. Especially the year when I got a $15 Amazon GC. I don't know why someone would even join a Secret Santa, and send a gift card that was even less than the gift value was supposed to be.

The mod is watching over this Secret Santa and dicking about will be punished, although obviously at his discretion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thanks hedrigall we were really wondering about your specific reasons for not signing up for the secret santa

Happy to help, fam

TV Zombie posted:

How did you amass so many books without reading them? Are you making good headway with some of them?

I have bad spending habits. A lot of them were from when the Australian dollar was really good 4-5 years ago and I was importing tons of books from the US. I would go on lists/blogs to find recommendations and add like 10 books to my online cart at a time. It was kind of addicting! More recently there are a lot of second hand and kindle books in there. If I see something mildly interesting sounding and it's only like $3, I'll impulse buy.

Also I was reading a ton for a few years and if I'd kept up my reading rate I'd be like more than halfway through them now. But nope, video games and YouTube :v: I need to impose more screen-less nights on myself so I can get back to reading.

Tl;dr don't be like Hedrigall

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Real head book swap where I send you pre war German linguistics papers and Finnish pastoral novels

I'm down as hell and will send you some new zealand realism from the great depression about how miserable it is to be poor

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I have a lot of books too and plan one day to be crushed by them.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
if anyone wants free books I have some more SF ARCs from penguin that I'm supposed to be giving away

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i'm down. what've you got?

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 19, 2016

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

it's the sequel to this: http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/318369/admiral-by-sean-danker/

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of giving books away, the TUIB Secret Santa will be open for sign-ups until Wednesday 23rd November.

If you haven't signed up yet, today is a good day to fix that. If you have, please feel free to tell your friends about it!

Fart of Darkness
Dec 2, 2016
I've been reading a few Joe Hill novels, and I think I've finally decided I don't care much for him. I read and enjoyed Horns, got through Heart Shaped Box, and now I'm struggling to finish the second half of The Fireman. I'm a so-so fan of Stephen King, but I've always been able to at least finish his books.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fart of Darkness posted:

I've been reading a few Joe Hill novels, and I think I've finally decided I don't care much for him. I read and enjoyed Horns, got through Heart Shaped Box, and now I'm struggling to finish the second half of The Fireman. I'm a so-so fan of Stephen King, but I've always been able to at least finish his books.

I like him enough, but he's not great. And most opinions say The Fireman is mediocre.

Real Talk, though: at least 1/3 of the stories 20th Century Ghosts are good/great, and Locke & Key is the best thing he's done, and one of the best comic books I've read. The "November" issue and the "Action Comic" are wonderful and take full advantage of the strength of the medium for storytelling.

Fart of Darkness
Dec 2, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

I like him enough, but he's not great. And most opinions say The Fireman is mediocre.

Real Talk, though: at least 1/3 of the stories 20th Century Ghosts are good/great, and Locke & Key is the best thing he's done, and one of the best comic books I've read. The "November" issue and the "Action Comic" are wonderful and take full advantage of the strength of the medium for storytelling.

I've heard good things about Locke & Key but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe I'll try that and 20th Century Ghosts after a taking a break from Hill for a while.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Fart of Darkness posted:

The Fireman is kinda crappy. I slogged through it, but I don't think Hill's ever met a pregnant woman, because the main character was utterly unrealistic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Locke and Key is a great premise ruined by excessive Kingening

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Picked up Liminal States from audible on a whim, and though the beginning was a little dry, I found myself enjoying it more and more. I'd recommend it to anyone with the time to listen to a 24-hours long audio book.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I went back to my parent's house to celebrate my mom's birthday and picked up an old copy of Midnight's Children. I hadn't finished it at the time so I thought I would pick it back up even though I wouldn't remember what happened up to my bookmarked point.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I wanna get Lord of the Rings on audiobook. Is there a version or edition I should get?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There should be a ritual somewhere to summon Tolkien's spirit and command him to read it aloud for you.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

I wanna get Lord of the Rings on audiobook. Is there a version or edition I should get?

I don't know about an audiobook, but there's a very classy BBC radio dramatization with Ian Holm.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There should be a ritual somewhere to summon Tolkien's spirit and command him to read it aloud for you.

Based on his prose, I imagine he sounded very boring. I think his boring prose with his boring voice would be enough to induce a coma.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rob Inglis's version is the definitive. Totally unabridged, and he actually sings all the songs. It's loving marvellous

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hedrigall posted:

Rob Inglis's version is the definitive. Totally unabridged, and he actually sings all the songs. It's loving marvellous

How would he know the melody of the songs?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TV Zombie posted:

rankin and bass is canon

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TV Zombie posted:

He composed them along with someone from the audiobook production company

Sorry I don't know if there are canon melodies for each song in LOTR :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's the audiobook version of Boromir's Lament: https://youtu.be/nM0gHCu-FmQ

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cqzAUsArM

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I got books for Christmas! A Matter of Oaths by Helen S Wright, and The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook and they're both A+ sci-fi that appeals to me greatly through interesting world-building. :toot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

StrixNebulosa posted:

I got books for Christmas! A Matter of Oaths by Helen S Wright, and The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook and they're both A+ sci-fi that appeals to me greatly through interesting world-building. :toot:

Did u already read them!?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Did u already read them!?

24 and 30 pages into each one respectively due to slow reading + holiday stuff keeping me busy!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ah ok, it just seemed like you'd already read them by mentioning the world building as if you knew it

but do post back if theyre good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Ah ok, it just seemed like you'd already read them by mentioning the world building as if you knew it

but do post back if theyre good

Will do!

The reason I'm impressed with the worldbuilding so far is that in A Matter of Oaths, I can already tell the author put thought into how their weird starship piloting method works, and how it creates a culture of pilots outside of the standards you see in most sci-fi. They pilot ships through 'webbing', which seems to be.... I'm not even sure yet. Full body linkup with the ship, I think? It's weird, and I love it when sci-fi goes weird.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The world-building impressed me. There was, like, this stuff in the world. And these things, which were cool.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Will do!

The reason I'm impressed with the worldbuilding so far is that in A Matter of Oaths, I can already tell the author put thought into how their weird starship piloting method works, and how it creates a culture of pilots outside of the standards you see in most sci-fi. They pilot ships through 'webbing', which seems to be.... I'm not even sure yet. Full body linkup with the ship, I think? It's weird, and I love it when sci-fi goes weird.

It doesn't matter how much thought the author put into it because the style it's written in will just be the same tedious crap that all contemporary sci fi authors use. worldbuilding is a disease

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

worldbuilding is a disease

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

is goodreads still the best website to use for tracking what you read, if i want to do that? or has someone better come along in the six years since i looked at my goodreads account

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Read both of those recently. A Matter of Oaths was tasty, a few rough patches but a loving solid debut novel. It was recommended to me as "if you like C.J. Cherryh, you should check out...", and that recommendation completely on point. It's a pity that's her only book, but it is at least available for free.

The Dragon Never Sleeps was good but weird, and is a book that demands close attention to keep track of all the names and places and, critically, the date, since sometimes it advances by five minutes between chapters and sometimes by five years. I liked it more than Starfishers, or the Chronicles of a Dread Empire (which are written in a similar style), but less than the more tightly focused Passage at Arms and Black Company.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A human heart posted:

It doesn't matter how much thought the author put into it because the style it's written in will just be the same tedious crap that all contemporary sci fi authors use. worldbuilding is a disease

I like Vernor Vinge

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol I found a brand-new A World History of Art by Hugh and Fleming for fifteen euros at a sale.

A human heart posted:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Read both of those recently. A Matter of Oaths was tasty, a few rough patches but a loving solid debut novel. It was recommended to me as "if you like C.J. Cherryh, you should check out...", and that recommendation completely on point. It's a pity that's her only book, but it is at least available for free.

The Dragon Never Sleeps was good but weird, and is a book that demands close attention to keep track of all the names and places and, critically, the date, since sometimes it advances by five minutes between chapters and sometimes by five years. I liked it more than Starfishers, or the Chronicles of a Dread Empire (which are written in a similar style), but less than the more tightly focused Passage at Arms and Black Company.

Despite being more of a fantasy than SF guy, I think Passage at Arms is one of Cook's best books. It is so claustrophobic and bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Badger of Basra posted:

is goodreads still the best website to use for tracking what you read, if i want to do that? or has someone better come along in the six years since i looked at my goodreads account

Yes it is. It's now owned by Amazon and linked into the kindle system so you can set your book as reading and do all your updates and reviews and so on without having to cock around searching for it on the main site.