Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Regular people don't go into epileptic fits when they touch CC.

E: Or that time he flat out teleported multiple people.

Didn't they specify in an interview that was something involving CC, not Suzaku? I thought I recalled as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they specify in an interview that was something involving CC, not Suzaku? I thought I recalled as much.

Suzaku's supernatural-ness was one of the things dropped in the R1-R2 retool. I think there was a commentary or something that hinted that Kallen's older brother was supposed to be alive.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I think there was a commentary or something that hinted that Kallen's older brother was supposed to be alive.

That would have been lame and I'm glad they didn't do it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Regular people don't go into epileptic fits when they touch CC.

E: Or that time he flat out teleported multiple people.

Kuroyama posted:

Suzaku's supernatural-ness was one of the things dropped in the R1-R2 retool. I think there was a commentary or something that hinted that Kallen's older brother was supposed to be alive.

Suzaku remains superhumanly skilled even in R2. He can still spinkick. They just decided not to complicate things beyond that point by trying to explain it. Officially, there was remark saying he still had the "potential" to be granted a Geass and that's probably related to why C.C. noticed him (like how she notices Lelouch in episode 1).

On another note, the one who teleported folks to the island was V.V. using the ruins at the temple there. That guy seems to teleport around a few times.

The thing about Kallen's brother was just an offhand remark by Kawaguchi (one of the Sunrise producers) in a commentary track. He didn't commit to anything about that topic. It was a "he might or might not be alive, but Kallen thinks he's dead" sort of deal.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 13, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Suzaku's supernatural connection did eventually get explained in Renya, but that raised more questions than it answered

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

It's been like a decade, guys. I've forgotten more important things than some bit-players in a TV show in less time than that.

I said i've been considering rewatching it, but nostalgia usually turns out to be a harsh mistress when you try to challenge her, so i'm kinda wary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

It's been like a decade, guys. I've forgotten more important things than some bit-players in a TV show in less time than that.

I said i've been considering rewatching it, but nostalgia usually turns out to be a harsh mistress when you try to challenge her, so i'm kinda wary.

It's honestly surprising you can't remember the character in the bright red mecha with a an evil claw that microwaves people to death. That's a pretty memorable attribute.

(The Guren is easily my favorite KMF so admittedly biased.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think my favorite fight in the show is still when Lelouch traps his forces at the top of a mountain and has Kallen nuke their way down while burying the enemy in a landslide.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly surprising you can't remember the character in the bright red mecha with a an evil claw that microwaves people to death. That's a pretty memorable attribute.

(The Guren is easily my favorite KMF so admittedly biased.)

Yeah, honest to god, does not ring a bell, not even faintly. The only Mech design that i remember even vaguely is Suzaku's, strangely enough. And the fact that they were rollerskating around.
If you tell me "bright red mech called Guren" I'll be thinking of a completely different show.

Might be related to the fact that it was probably the first Mecha show i watched, so i didn't give a poo poo about the robots itself, only what they were fighting for.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kallen is a main character. Episodes have revolved around her

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A lot of things revolved around Kallen. Like shot composition.

KoB
May 1, 2009
CC was to butts what Kallen was to boobs (and also butts)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Suzaku is a regular joe, he's just absurdly talented and trained unless I missed something. I mean he's got the Live Geass which is ironically a boost to him but that is because of what it does to augment him. He's not magical though, just absurdly talented. After all Kallen is basically on the same level as him.

Even ignoring all of the dropped "something is fucky with Suzaku" C.C. scenes in S1, his role in the Britannian military was "faceless grunt infantryman in a disposable infantry platoon composed of hated minority troopers" until he happened to get picked up by Lloyd by accident, so he didn't have any special super awesome training. He's naturally gifted enough to outrun machine gun bullets being fired by an automatic turret even before he gets Live Geassed in a world where normal people can't do that. He's way, way, way above a normal person's physical abilities in pretty much every category which is super key to him being able to accomplish literally anything he does.

Kallen is never, ever presented as remotely as physically insane as Suzaku is. She ends up being his equal as a pilot in their super god mechs but she's never shown shattering iron spears with kicks; she's portrayed as a pretty normal person when separated from her mech.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Even ignoring all of the dropped "something is fucky with Suzaku" C.C. scenes in S1, his role in the Britannian military was "faceless grunt infantryman in a disposable infantry platoon composed of hated minority troopers" until he happened to get picked up by Lloyd by accident, so he didn't have any special super awesome training. He's naturally gifted enough to outrun machine gun bullets being fired by an automatic turret even before he gets Live Geassed in a world where normal people can't do that. He's way, way, way above a normal person's physical abilities in pretty much every category which is super key to him being able to accomplish literally anything he does.

Kallen is never, ever presented as remotely as physically insane as Suzaku is. She ends up being his equal as a pilot in their super god mechs but she's never shown shattering iron spears with kicks; she's portrayed as a pretty normal person when separated from her mech.

Suzaku didn't begin his training with the Britannians though. he was trained by Todoh at a young age and there's explicit background material which states he was talented even as a kid. He didn't just happen to be really good at poo poo, he was good at poo poo from when he was little. His intense talent is why he was picked by Lloyd naturally. They waved their hands at the magic plot point but with it being dropped it feels weird to going "well, he was actually magical" when discussing his characterization.

Like there's no arguing he's probably the most physically skilled person onscreen at any given time but that isn't something entirely on-par with the Geass in terms of what it allows him to do. He parlays his physical skill into a Brittanian position of power naturally but even for someone as absurd as Suzaku "I'm really strong, I bet I can overthrow an empire with this" isn't really a logical endpoint.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 14, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Suzaku was never about overthrowing the empire, he was about reforming it. Preferably while killing himself in the process.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Suzaku didn't begin his training with the Britannians though. he was trained by Todoh at a young age and there's explicit background material which states he was talented even as a kid. He didn't just happen to be really good at poo poo, he was good at poo poo from when he was little. His intense talent is why he was picked by Lloyd naturally. They waved their hands at the magic plot point but with it being dropped it feels weird to going "well, he was actually magical" when discussing his characterization.

Like there's no arguing he's probably the most physically skilled person onscreen at any given time but that isn't something entirely on-par with the Geass in terms of what it allows him to do. He parlays his physical skill into a Brittanian position of power naturally but even for someone as absurd as Suzaku "I'm really strong, I bet I can overthrow an empire with this" isn't really a logical endpoint.

It does make you wonder how strong Bismark was, that he could trigger the "live" command immediately for the guy who can outrun mecha and kick through steel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

It does make you wonder how strong Bismark was, that he could trigger the "live" command immediately for the guy who can outrun mecha and kick through steel.

Bismark had a Geass which kinda skews things, although apparently he doesn't overly rely on it but it means he's got a massive trump card.

...Of course his Geass can apparently be defeated through the clever trick of 'charging directly at him' so...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Bismark had a Geass which kinda skews things, although apparently he doesn't overly rely on it but it means he's got a massive trump card.

...Of course his Geass can apparently be defeated through the clever trick of 'charging directly at him' so...

Bismark was one of the dumbest things about S2, christ. They gave him buildup as a huge badass KNIGHT OF ONE and gave him a geass and a custom mech and everything and he does precisely nothing.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The way I saw that sequence, the gap in raw tech specs was too great for him to even attempt to block that final blow.

Seeing the future may be nice and all, but doesn't make your robot faster or stronger than the Albion once it hits you.

If I recall correctly, Bismark does participate in a couple of other fights but he was simply way outmatched here.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wielder posted:

The way I saw that sequence, the gap in raw tech specs was too great for him to even attempt to block that final blow.

Seeing the future may be nice and all, but doesn't make your robot faster or stronger than the Albion once it hits you.

If I recall correctly, Bismark does participate in a couple of other fights but he was simply way outmatched here.

Yeah but it wasn't like Suzaku outdid him by moving so fast that Bismark couldn't respond. He just saw him coming and was like 'woah poo poo!"

Honestly if he'd lost because the Albion was like circle-strafting him so fast he couldn't keep up that would have been fine.

Edit: Actually he was just like "Head on! How insulting!" and then... got his rear end kicked.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rodyle posted:

Suzaku's supernatural connection did eventually get explained in Renya, but that raised more questions than it answered

What's the explanation?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Argas posted:

What's the explanation?

The short version is just that C.C. is probably reacting to Renya's blood in him.

The long version is that Renya is loving nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuts

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rodyle posted:

The short version is just that C.C. is probably reacting to Renya's blood in him.

The long version is that Renya is loving nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuts

How nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuts?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Season 3 gently caress yeah

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Argas posted:

Well the Knight of One is a kaiju.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Argas posted:

A technically non-canon amount

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Namtab posted:

A technically non-canon amount

Renya and Oz are both in the anime timeline.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't believe you

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Oz is rather easy to fit in. Renya is too far removed and weird to have much of an impact either way.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wielder posted:

Oz is rather easy to fit in. Renya is too far removed and weird to have much of an impact either way.

Oh I don't imagine Taniguchi gives a gently caress about either, or even Akito for that matter, but it is technically true.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So apparently the guy that played Tamaki passed away in October. :smith:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Raxivace posted:

So apparently the guy that played Tamaki passed away in October. :smith:

Didn't wanna live to see his life's work desecrated.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Promotional video for the upcoming sequel available here. Seems to confirm most of the previous info.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why does Jeremiah hate flamingos so much

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

why does Jeremiah hate flamingos so much
When was the last time a flamingo did anything to help anyone?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Flamingos know nothing of loyalty. And they are not orange.

THEREFORE THEY MUST ALL BURN.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Suzaku riding an out of control jet engine or some poo poo, jumps off like it's no big deal. gently caress the haters, that man is a treasure.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did it say January at the end there? This looks like it ticks all of my boxes, honestly.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Did it say January at the end there? This looks like it ticks all of my boxes, honestly.

Nah, I believe that's just indicating the first recap movie will air in 2017. There's no specific month yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz: