Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Reeking of stale beer just adds more realism to Space Wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

If you're not spilling beer all over your models what the hell is the point of varnish?

Sniffing, the vallejo metal gloss coat smells like candy and I can't get enough of it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

If you're not spilling beer all over your models what the hell is the point of varnish?

mods, new thread title please

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Sniffing, the vallejo metal gloss coat smells like candy and I can't get enough of it.
:rip: Mango Polo 19?? - 2016 :rip:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

muskets posted:

Shame their website ordering is so shite.

Yeah, never actually buy anything hobby related from them but use their gaming space, eat their hotdogs and drink their beer :v:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

:rip: Mango Polo 19?? - 2016 :rip:

no it's ok don't worry it smells like strawberry doesn't taste like it and makes me feel happy not like the ak paints which make me angry and sad and

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

BULBASAUR posted:

This is mandatory for heresy hamming

I can't process this disaster of a rule set sober anyways

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

That's how you spot the lovely ones, the old batch that didn't smell nice was so much better :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, thread, what's the accepted wisdom on standard land speeders in 30k?

I've got three of the things and my current plan is to run them with multi-meltas and graviton guns. That brings them to 65 points each which is pretty reasonable. Are hunter-killer missiles worth it at all? If so, what would y'all use to represent them? Preferably something that looks one-shot and would be easily magnetizable.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Safety Factor posted:

Alright, thread, what's the accepted wisdom on standard land speeders in 30k?

I've got three of the things and my current plan is to run them with multi-meltas and graviton guns. That brings them to 65 points each which is pretty reasonable. Are hunter-killer missiles worth it at all? If so, what would y'all use to represent them? Preferably something that looks one-shot and would be easily magnetizable.

Be careful with them as you want to keep them cheap. 65 pts is OK but for any more you could be getting javelins which are infinitely more survivable. The simple fact everyone and their mum has a bolt gun means that land speeders are fragile bastards.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
HKs are extremely worth it on speeders because of their big discount. I use the imperial guard ones on mine, they come with a little rail that you can stick on all kinds of surfaces and it looks good:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Pierzak posted:

That's how you spot the lovely ones, the old batch that didn't smell nice was so much better :(

Really? From the Metal Colour line (not Metal Air)? drat if so :(

tallkidwithglasses posted:

HKs are extremely worth it on speeders because of their big discount. I use the imperial guard ones on mine, they come with a little rail that you can stick on all kinds of surfaces and it looks good:

I can also recommend the Ironclad Dreadnought's HK. I got a bunch of them for cheap on a bits site.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Really? From the Metal Colour line (not Metal Air)? drat if so :(
You mean the new water-based equivalents to Liquid Metal? I didn't try that one, but I know my standard Vallejo varnishes with a flowery smell are pretty bad (not even remotely matte compared to old ones).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

I can also recommend the Ironclad Dreadnought's HK. I got a bunch of them for cheap on a bits site.
I'll keep an eye out for both. The Ironclad launchers would probably be ideal, but that IG one is hilariously chunky. It's just a doofus of a missile. I did some quick ebay browsing and it seems like the chimera kit has a slimmer missile with that same rail.

Lord Twisted posted:

Be careful with them as you want to keep them cheap. 65 pts is OK but for any more you could be getting javelins which are infinitely more survivable. The simple fact everyone and their mum has a bolt gun means that land speeders are fragile bastards.
I know what I'm in for. :v: I played 40k Dark Angels for years and almost always took a Ravenwing element. Land speeders can be deceptively tough with proper placement and jinking. I can even remember when they were the only units with jink saves and it was a crappy 6+. I really missed my dumb suicide sleds and since cyclones weren't an option (having been passed to javelins and made twin-linked), I figured I'd try out that graviton stuff people go on about. It's the one big thing that standard speeders can do that javelins can't and it's the only mobile graviton option in the army list.

That said, javelins are way too good right now to pass up and I will be buying some down the line. I had already been planning on getting them before they got their revamp and unnecessary points drop. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing their Outflank shifted over to standard speeders at this point just to throw them a bone.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
So I keep seeing mention of a Slack channel, are there channel details somewhere? I want to start 30k now that I have a Prospero set and am damned to hell.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kithkar posted:

So I keep seeing mention of a Slack channel, are there channel details somewhere? I want to start 30k now that I have a Prospero set and am damned to hell.

PM/post your email and one of us will invite you.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Warning. The channel is really really bad. So bad it burns people out posting in this thread.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Having said that, it gets pretty good when BULBASAUR is asleep.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's a Slack full of Warhammer grog goons. Think about that before you ask for an invite.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
So for Death Guard Heavy Support Squad loadout suggestions I've seen Missile Launchers, Heavy Chem Flamers, and Volkite Culverins. I can understand Multi-Melta not having much appeal with its short range and Armoured Ceramite around, but what about lascannons? Are they just too expensive/fragile? Or do we just have access to much better anti-tank weapons?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I've hedged my bets by building a squad of lascannons and a squad of missile launchers with the idea of babysitting either one with a Siege Breaker. Scoring lascannons are good, but their cost is so much greater that you can buy a bunker with an ammo dump to stick the missile launcher squad in and still come out ahead on points.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 16, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Are tactical Terminators worth a goddamn? I had two sprues from Calth and while one is a squad of dudes with lightning claws, I'm guessing I'll build the other 5 with bolters and fists.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Finished assembling my Deredeo, and will hopefully (lol) be able to start on my Fire Raptor soon-ish. I'm tempted to grab a Leviathan, the coolest of all dreadnaughts, but paying super heavy points (once you add in a gun and a drop pod) seems crazy pants.

It's surprising that a large-ish 30k force can can cost considerably less than either a 40k or Warmachine/Hordes army; the prospero/calth marines are a crazy deal, and I regularly see things like Sicarans and Fire Raptors available on Ebay for ~$60.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Finished assembling my Deredeo, and will hopefully (lol) be able to start on my Fire Raptor soon-ish. I'm tempted to grab a Leviathan, the coolest of all dreadnaughts, but paying Super Heavy points (once you add in a gun and a drop pod) seems crazy pants.

It's surprising that a large-ish 30k force can can cost considerably less than either a 40k or Warmachine/Hordes army; the prospero/calth marines are a crazy deal, and I regularly see things like Sicarans and Fire Raptors available on Ebay for ~$60.

For what it's worth, those cheap FW models are recasts 99% of the time if that bothers you.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

SRM posted:

For what it's worth, those cheap FW models are recasts 99% of the time if that bothers you.

I figured that was the case if the seller location was either China or Russia, but I'm also seeing stuff being sold from the US at those prices.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Termies greatly benefit from some kind of delivery mechanism- if you ever get to teleport them it's pretty amazing. Basically, if you have a way to get them holding or fighting on an objective they're solid as a cheap squad, or you can fill a Spartan or Caestus with them and Death Star up.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
And especially now that you can only use one melta bomb at a time a chainfist delivery unit has shot up in value. You can even go so far as to give them all combi weapons if you need more bang from them.

E: don't forget they're scoring too

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

And especially now that you can only use one melta bomb at a time

Only if you're playing against assholes and/or you brought a Spartan/Typhon/fellblade variant and want to chug tears.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I always enforce 1 melta bomb per unit when I bring my typhon, spartan, leviathan, and allied knight detachment

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
In all honestly one of my favorite things about 30k are the melta bomb threads on Bolter + Chainsword

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

I always enforce 1 melta bomb per unit when I bring my typhon, spartan, leviathan, and allied knight detachment

:agreed:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

House rules are for losers who can't win with the rules as written.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

ijyt posted:

Excuse me while I turn every ruin into a deathtrap.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

ijyt posted:

Typhon owner spotted.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Typhon owner spotted.

Dual Typhon owner spotted.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I actually don't even own a superheavy at this point. All of my typhons are strictly theoretical and hence I believe that when you buy meltabombs for a squad the whole squad gets to use them. My beliefs will certainly change contingent on future purchases though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

There is a little typhon in all of us.

e. For anyone new reading this thread, I'd like to reassure you that it is indeed the Horus Heresy/30k thread. For example this just came out today:

Isn't Porphy-chan just the cutest knight, like, ever!? So kawaii! Ganbare Porphy-chan!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 16, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I actually don't even own a superheavy at this point. All of my typhons are strictly theoretical and hence I believe that when you buy meltabombs for a squad the whole squad gets to use them. My beliefs will certainly change contingent on future purchases though.

We're gonna have the best rulings. Rulings for everything. Can't beat them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/Acastus-Knight-Porpyhrion.pdf

So.... would you rather take this, or a Leviathan for the same points :eyepop:

e: It's so much better than a Falchion it's just unfair

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
So in Forgeworld's email about the Poryphion there's a photo with a bunch of Knights in the background that includes what looks like one with an Atrapos torso, the chainfist from the Acheron and the Castigator's mega-bolter.

I wonder if that's just a kitbash they stuck in the background or another variant they've got planned, considering early shots of the Castigator had a chainfist.