Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

pichupal posted:

Just finished the U+ Cid Mission. Not too bad with a mixed team + Onion BSB since between all the Mages, Celes and Shadow it's easy to get your Lightning abilities in there.

Whatever Relm's is looks interesting. Just all around elemental resistance? It'd be nice on a squishy healer. And maybe Tyro is getting a cast time buff or something like the Orlandeau RM?

I'm excited to see what some of my favourite non-popular characters like Quina will get. Or if Josef will get something relating to how he dies again.
If I'm reading the icon on Tyro's right, it looks like it extends burst mode. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

RW entries are absolutely affected by your buffs, they just aren't influenced by any of the character's stats. The problem is, from the sound of it, they weren't packing Shout to boost that RW OSB with.

RWs aren't affected by buffs. The only way to affect their damage is via rows, or with RMs that don't affect the ATK stat. So
Pride of the Red Wings should boost damage if the RW character has a sword.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Atomos was really easy and :sigh: nothing else to do but dailies again...

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If I'm reading the icon on Tyro's right, it looks like it extends burst mode. :swoon:

Aww, but if I read all that right doesn't that mean only he'll be able to benefit from that effect, since the Legend one is character specific?

I mean, don't get me wrong because I do actually like the idea, having a second RM that can only be the one specific to that character will help differentiate the characters some more. I just do also see that future of a lot of, "shame such a good ability is on a character that can't take advantage of it/dang it, why do I have no relics for these characters with awesome LMs?"

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I cannot loving believe my luck and I expect nothing for the rest of time holy poo poo I finally got a Zidane relic I think I might cry.

This right here is why I still put my faith in the single pull lifestyle.

Grats! Haven't you been chasing a Zidane relic for ages, too?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I cannot loving believe my luck and I expect nothing for the rest of time holy poo poo I finally got a Zidane relic I think I might cry.

hell yeah, grats. I've been rooting for you to get one since you got pissed at me for having two Orichalcum and an Exploda lmao

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LornMarkus posted:

Aww, but if I read all that right doesn't that mean only he'll be able to benefit from that effect, since the Legend one is character specific?

I mean, don't get me wrong because I do actually like the idea, having a second RM that can only be the one specific to that character will help differentiate the characters some more. I just do also see that future of a lot of, "shame such a good ability is on a character that can't take advantage of it/dang it, why do I have no relics for these characters with awesome LMs?"

Just have Tyro summon your RW BSB. If your synergy gear and party buffs are good enough he can still hit every cap, so his low stats matter less and less, and having something unique like an extra 5 seconds of burst mode could really, really matter and make him a much more valuable character.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh, right, you've been trying forever to get a Zidane relic, congrats!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Attestant posted:

Grats! Haven't you been chasing a Zidane relic for ages, too?

FeralWraith posted:

Oh, right, you've been trying forever to get a Zidane relic, congrats!

Literally since his release event like a year or more ago, yes. So I'm incredibly ecstatic now! I don't care that it's not a fantastic BSB it's the thing!

Nihilarian posted:

hell yeah, grats. I've been rooting for you to get one since you got pissed at me for having two Orichalcum and an Exploda lmao

Nah friend, I wasn't seriously pissed off at anyone pulling what I want. I don't get salty at other people getting things I'm gunning for. It's all up to the fickle RNG gods after all.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Literally since his release event like a year or more ago, yes. So I'm incredibly ecstatic now! I don't care that it's not a fantastic BSB it's the thing!

I have it, and I'd say it's above average, really. Imperil and some breakdown effects is a solid mix. Only downside really is that the commands aren't wind. But if you have other wind based characters, that hardly matters.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Attestant posted:

I have it, and I'd say it's above average, really. Imperil and some breakdown effects is a solid mix. Only downside really is that the commands aren't wind. But if you have other wind based characters, that hardly matters.

And the weird part of it is that it gets better with age, mostly due to theives getting that 5* 2x hit wind skill

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also Zidane is kinda nice in general. Thief + Celerity + Machinist gives him a pretty good toolkit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Grats dude.

*rubs pincers together* now I'm sure to pull a Balthier relic in the next festival or when his OSB drops

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Zidane's BSB is nice in multiplayer too. Since the BSB has a Mug Attack command rather then just an breakdown copy, you're set for an ATK buff even in in a magical team.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Time to save up orbs for Dash Bite, YoshiofYellow :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I love The Ogre and I'm glad someone else gets to love it too.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Koobes posted:

And the weird part of it is that it gets better with age, mostly due to theives getting that 5* 2x hit wind skill

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Time to save up orbs for Dash Bite, YoshiofYellow :v:

The extra fun part is I have Thancred's Air Knives which are the most perfect thing to use in conjunction with Dash Bite. I'm so ready!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"Atomos is easy"

Screw you guys :mad:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

First try went pretty dang well. Having Vessel of Fate is always helpful, of course, but Penelo's Evanescence meant I could use her as DPS in addition to dancing and Locke's Mirage Phoenix would have been even more impressive if I hadn't mistapped on Terra's default SB instead of Fire Beam (I thought I had it unequipped, oh well).

Actually ended up using Minwu's default Basuna VI a few times since they had a penchant for silencing Terra.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Twelve by Pies posted:

After finishing the Nightmare fights from this round, I noticed I was one Holy Crystal away from Curada, since I wasn't able to master that stupid Guardian fight. Fortunately I went back to some old Nightmares I did back when I was just starting out, and mastered Gi Nattak for a Holy Crystal. Now I have Curada, though I'm not sure what to do with it, since only 4 uses isn't going to be able to replace my R5 Curaja, meaning it's not good enough for longer content, and for shorter content, Curaja works fine anyway.

Kind of off the subject but I actually still have never made curaja and I've done all the content the game has ever thrown at us except Parade Float and the final boss of the first ever event which I think was Rufus. I have had native wall since the first ff14 banner though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

victrix posted:

"Atomos is easy"

Screw you guys :mad:
What do you have available to you? For once the info blurb tells you nearly all that you need:
  • A way to interrupt Atomos (generally Dismissal). I only needed one at R5, but considering how few bosses are immune to it I'll probably craft another one during the next orbfest.
  • A way to slow Atomos, and quickly. Tempo Flurry is your obvious choice, though Slowga will still apparently work without triggering a counter. (In my case I have Elban Dual Wield, which has an impressive 100% chance to slow.)
  • Defeat Atomos before he eats three Amethysts. Ideally you don't want to let him eat any, because the penalty for destroying one (30s Doom) isn't nearly as bad as for him eating at least one (RES-ignoring magic AoE), but if you slow him beforehand then he'll have less chance to munch on any gems in the first place. (Seriously, his speed in the second phase with the gems is a ludicrously low 50.)
  • He's immune to break effects, so don't expect anything from them. (You can still bring them along, like I did, if you're just looking for damage and haven't honed a lot of 5-star abilities.)
  • Having some way to dispel buffs ("It will power itself up during battle by sucking in gemstones...") is nice but not necessary.
About the only thing that the blurb doesn't tell you is that its phase 1 ability list also includes AoE slowga, but you can easily mitigate that either by recasting Haste on an affected party member or simply by outracing it to phase 2 with slow/interrupt. I recommend the second, since the slowga effect is only possible in the first phase to begin with and you should ideally be controlling Atomos already for the mastery conditions. If you do still get slowed, just reload the fight and try again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NGDBSS posted:

[*]He's immune to break effects

Vaan and Noel do not like this. :saddowns:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Dang, Nightmare Atomos just kind of...fell over. I had to cast curaja a total of once, and he only summoned the first wave of gems, didn't even get to eat one before he died. :stare: That was a nice change of pace after the hell that was Necrophobe.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I decided to roll on the Celerity banner since it seems to give so much love. Two Apocalypse's and an Orichalcum Dirk. Awesome! I already have Golden Hairpin too so...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

A way to interrupt Atomos (generally Dismissal). I only needed one at R5, but considering how few bosses are immune to it I'll probably craft another one during the next orbfest.

For the record, Stun is becoming less and less useful in JP. Most of the top-end event bosses and all of the top-end multiplayer bosses are immune to it now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zurai posted:

For the record, Stun is becoming less and less useful in JP. Most of the top-end event bosses and all of the top-end multiplayer bosses are immune to it now.
Well that's kinda dumb; if they don't like having their bosses to be hit with it, why did they even introduce it in the first place? Really, the Final Fantasy model of status effects being either silver bullets or useless becomes more and more baffling considering all the other models out there that are far less binary.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
All FF6 dungeons down. Faris BSB and stacking tons of breaks was the key to U+ and Kefka went down swinging but he was no match for Selphie's magic blink and Celes' Indomitable Blade.

Now to scream and punch holes in walls trying to beat Nightmare dungeons :haw:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Well that's kinda dumb; if they don't like having their bosses to be hit with it, why did they even introduce it in the first place? Really, the Final Fantasy model of status effects being either silver bullets or useless becomes more and more baffling considering all the other models out there that are far less binary.

Yeah, if there's one thing I've always loved about the Etrian Odyssey series, it's that status effects are only slightly less useful for the player than they are for the enemy, and that instant death attacks and the like are viable both because regular fights are deadly enough to make them a plus and FOEs and Bosses are not always (or even often) immune to them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Thanks to all the recent BSBs I've pulled in recent months, I was able to go back and master every nightmare dungeon I failed to master before. Between Beatrix, Onion Knight, and in the case of the Reraise/Curada dungeons, Minwu and Aerith's BSBs, the power creep is real.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If stun becomes totally useless, does Celerity at least get some cool new toys eventually? It's already a super shallow pool with like, 2 useable skills that aren't 5 or 6 star.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Is there a RM that boosts combat abilities? I have both Lightning and Tidus with their BSBs as PowerCharge machines and I want to make their numbers go up.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Mercury Crusader posted:

Thanks to all the recent BSBs I've pulled in recent months, I was able to go back and master every nightmare dungeon I failed to master before. Between Beatrix, Onion Knight, and in the case of the Reraise/Curada dungeons, Minwu and Aerith's BSBs, the power creep is real.

Ohh yeah, getting Aerith's BSB recently made me grateful that I hadn't bothered killed Evrae until then. That BSB completely trivialized the lense bullshit.

Anyway, finally done with the FF6 bonus battles. That Ultimate was horseshit when I went in with the physical A-team, but trying again with TERROR and Rinoa casting lightning summons was definitely the way to go. Ultimate+ was a bit of a slog, and I got a little worried when I saw that cannon timer start counting down... but TERROR saved the day with a doublecast Chain Thundaga, attagirl. Ultimate++ was a little scary with the Slave Crowns being thrown around, but luckily Celes already had Indomitable Blade up when she got hit by one. Just having Indomitable Blade + Pencil BSB trivialized it in general of course. Now on to the Ultimates I still haven't bothered to clear...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If stun becomes totally useless, does Celerity at least get some cool new toys eventually? It's already a super shallow pool with like, 2 useable skills that aren't 5 or 6 star.

Nope! This is why I was confused that it was a Nightmare school at all.

Adel posted:

Is there a RM that boosts combat abilities? I have both Lightning and Tidus with their BSBs as PowerCharge machines and I want to make their numbers go up.

Also nope! At least not until Global gets the Legend Materia system; Cloud's previewed Legend Materia appears to be Doublecast Combat.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Celerity gets a +35% damage RM(Locke 99), so for people who have Celerity commands on their BSB (Zack, OK so far) can get a bump that way

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Adel posted:

Best way to do that is +damage% RMs for their weapon types.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zurai posted:

Nope! This is why I was confused that it was a Nightmare school at all.

That's just weird. Surely it can't be that hard to come up with some new celerity tools that aren't either overpowered or total garbage. And if it is, why not just roll them into a different skillset so that celerity users aren't gimped? If dismissal becomes worthless that literally leaves tempo flurry, northern cross, and powerchain as the only skills ever worth using, and one of those is a 6-star that most people probably couldn't even hone once. Hell, half of the good characters who have celerity can't even use 5 and 6-star abilities.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 14, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
The lack of a +combat RM is dumb; they have one for dragoons, thieves, and knights, why not combat?? :argh:

Thanks for the replies, though, I'll stick with +weapon materia then.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Adel posted:

The lack of a +combat RM is dumb; they have one for dragoons, thieves, and knights, why not combat?? :argh:
Because combat is insanely common and like 90% of physical BSB commands count as it :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That's just weird. Surely it can't be that hard to come up with some new celerity tools that aren't either overpowered or total garbage. And if it is, why not just roll them into a different skillset so that celerity users aren't gimped? If dismissal becomes worthless that literally leaves tempo flurry, northern cross, and powerchain as the only skills ever worth using, and one of those is a 6-star that most people probably couldn't even hone once. Hell, half of the good characters who have celerity can't even use 5 and 6-star abilities.

Celerity, Bard, and any new skillsets added post-Machinist have just kind of been :effort: in general, honestly. Darkness keeps rehashing the doom timer gimmick at this point, Sharpshooter might as well be named "Super Soaker" with how determined it is to be nothing more than a high-powered squirt gun, and Witch... Witch is just sort of a mess, reminding me of that one ancient forum post equating #-of-hits directly to the actual worth of a SB. They're weaker than -ajas at 5* and weaker than -agas at 4*, but they're multi-hit! As if that influences anything. Sure we're getting more stacking Faith effects, but we need those Faith effects to stay competitive with how quickly boss RES ramps up. More hits doesn't matter unless you're leaning towards a damage cap.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hell, half of the good characters who have celerity can't even use 5 and 6-star abilities.

I'm not even sure what his means; fortunately, outside of Fran (who is a support 5 for whom celerity access is basically gravy) and Edge (who is sadly bad unless you go really super heavy all in on a weird ninja Mage plan for him that is not worth what you'll spend on it), every Celerity 5 user is either also Combat 5 (I.e. They can PC/FC, at which point, it doesn't really matter if they have access to anything else - they're above the floor for Good and Useful Character), or they have Thief 5, and two hits of Northern Cross or a Powerchain to feed into a SB is a solid second slot filler in many cases.

• Locked thread