Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

??

i'd love to see you defend this, since you can literally recompile windows apps from source targeted to arm and have them run on windows rt. the only restriction is microsoft's code signing check, which was bypassed on windows 8 rt and allowed you to do exactly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fishmech posted:

steve jobs also described magic fruit diets as a way to treat cancer successfully, and html5 on an EDGE connection as a good thing to use instead of native applications, i don't trust steve jobs to describe things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUIxyE2Ns8&t=502s

lol turns out jobs was even more explicit about it than i remembered. not that you need the word of jobs to know that actually, osx and ios are deeply related

you're just like trump, fishmech: no matter how obviously wrong the thing you said is, you think the worst thing in the world is to admit you were wrong, so you never do, and you get more angry about it the more wrong you're proven to be

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
it's hard to tell the various operating systems apart.

much like facial expressions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

lol turns out jobs was even more explicit about it than i remembered. not that you need the word of jobs to know that actually, osx and ios are deeply related

you're just like trump, fishmech: no matter how obviously wrong the thing you said is, you think the worst thing in the world is to admit you were wrong, so you never do, and you get more angry about it the more wrong you're proven to be

Related to OS X does not mean is OS X. And jobs is still an idiot. It is obviously wrong to say iOS is OS X.

infernal machines posted:

??

i'd love to see you defend this, since you can literally recompile windows apps from source targeted to arm and have them run on windows rt. the only restriction is microsoft's code signing check, which was bypassed on windows 8 rt and allowed you to do exactly that

Windows RT is only "just recompile." for a small selection of applications. You must do way more extensive modifications for most Win32 applications that run perfectly fine in desktop windows 8 and 10. In many products it would require a full rewrite.

Unless you're talking about the partial x86 emulator shim used to run the first office for rt versions which also brought in support for most of the normal windows app? But at that point you're doing things where you could say windows runs OS X apps with enough recompiling and intermediate shims.

But all that aside, Windows RT is already dead. It received its last updates last year and stayed on an 8.1 related code base. The only thing equivalent to it in active sale is Windows Phone, which requires even more extensive recompilation of normal windows programs to run on it, as well as specially crafted programs that can run on it, real windows 10 and Xbox One branched Windows 10.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
anything using base win32 libraries can be recompiled to run on windows rt, things that use custom x86 libraries will need them re-compiled for arm.

the solution for that, if you couldn't re-compile the custom libraries, was to use wine style emulation.

it's windows as much as windows for ia64 and power pc was windows

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

never thought my sacred blackberry deathwatch thread would get fishmeched

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

who won the blackberries anyway

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

if we're calling it on Sep 28th but disregarding the year it was probably me because I usually guess my birthday for this stuff

don't really care if I get a bby ever tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

we all did (by not getting them)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i ate a little box of blackberries yesterday, they were good and i felt like a winner

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

FMguru posted:

apple made $53.4 bn in profit last year almost entirely by selling ... iphone

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BobHoward posted:

I hope fishmech gets a cabinet position

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

anything using base win32 libraries can be recompiled to run on windows rt, things that use custom x86 libraries will need them re-compiled for arm.

the solution for that, if you couldn't re-compile the custom libraries, was to use wine style emulation.

it's windows as much as windows for ia64 and power pc was windows

in other words, practically nothing runs without serious recompilation and refactoring, or heavy intermediary programs. see again for instance how full microsoft office only ran on windows rt through a partial x86 emulation layer at launch of the system.

if you're going to use that as the standard for "same operating system" then os x, linux, windows, os/2, amiga os, TOS and VMS are all "the same operating system"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
keep loving that chicken fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

keep loving that chicken fishmech

yes i understand you apple morons are mad os x has always been a dead useless operating system

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I love my dead gay useless operating system

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

yes i understand you apple morons are mad os x has always been a dead useless operating system

dude it's actually super popular

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

dude it's actually super popular

no it is not, and it has never ever been.

maybe you're thinking of windows? the os that is actually popular and run by billions of people on over 90% of computers? or maybe android which is run by billions of people on their phones, somewhere around 85% of them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I hope fishmech gets a cabinet position

Secretary of Actually

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sagebrush posted:

Secretary of Actually

judging from trump's current picks, it would be secretary of i agree.

actually.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

no it is not, and it has never ever been.

maybe you're thinking of windows? the os that is actually popular and run by billions of people on over 90% of computers? or maybe android which is run by billions of people on their phones, somewhere around 85% of them?

at least a billion iPhones are in active use, OS X is loving everywhere

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

at least a billion iPhones are in active use, OS X is loving everywhere

iphones don't run os x. and they've sold less than 300 million total macs in the history of apple computer. and tons of those that were sold are too old to run any form of os x.

so no, os x is pretty much nowhere, since apple is a failure at computers and os x is so bad that tons of macs end up running windows exclusively

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
it's literally everywhere you big dumb idiot. posting from my OS X phone right now. suck it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mishaq posted:

never thought my sacred blackberry deathwatch thread would get fishmeched

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i went to college and i saw a lot of macs book there, and also macs in the labs

couldn't get away from the things

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i went to college and i saw a lot of macs book there, and also macs in the labs

couldn't get away from the things

hmm... thinking.... its almost like macs are incredibly popular...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Fishmech operates in extremes, so if you aren't the most popular you aren't popular, etc. Items that fall into any sort of grey area don't exist.

The spots that overlap on a Venn diagram also don't exist.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

it's literally everywhere you big dumb idiot. posting from my OS X phone right now. suck it

lol no it isnt. you do not have an os x phone, you have an ios phone.

sorry that your brain broke from using your bad phone?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Fishmech operates in extremes, so if you aren't the most popular you aren't popular, etc. Items that fall into any sort of grey area don't exist.

there's no grey area, macs have sold like poo poo every year since 1984. in their best years during the 80s they never cracked 20% of the market.

if you think macs are popular, you might as well claim blackberry is currently a successful company

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

osx is everywhere fishmech, deal with it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

osx is everywhere fishmech, deal with it

i wouldn't call not being present on the list proof of being "everywhere"

sorry that you're an idiot that doesn't know what os x is?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the true face of assburgers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is why you don't tell your kids how smart they are all the time

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

i wouldn't call not being present on the list proof of being "everywhere"

sorry that you're an idiot that doesn't know what os x is?

aRE you BLIND?? IOS IS CLEARLY visible

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

the true face of assburgers

yep that sure is you.

Maximum Leader posted:

aRE you BLIND?? IOS IS CLEARLY visible

ios, a thing that is not os x.

why's this so hard for you to understand?

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

The Management posted:

I love my dead gay useless operating system

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
there is no os but OS X and Stebe its prophet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

there is no os but OS X and Stebe its prophet

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

apparently losing saved chat history is a known issue when updating blackberry messenger. the blackberry support team will be happy notify you when and if a fix is issued.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if only blackberry made bb messenger cross platform 5 years ago they could have been bought by facebook for significantly more than their present market cap

they could have used them to make their stupid failed facebook phone too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fishmech posted:

so no, os x is pretty much nowhere, since apple is a failure at computers and os x is so bad that tons of macs end up running windows exclusively

I know we're all being fishmech'd (about Macs in the blackberry thread of all places) but really where are these mythical macs running windows

like, I've probably seen hundreds if not thousands of macs on people's desks in the past few years. a very small percentage have Linux installed. I don't think I've seen one that boots windows by preference period

I guess my sample size is skewed as they're almost exclusively being used by engineers; but my current place is a ~200 head count, the majority in non-tech operations/sales, mac-only shop. part of employee orientation is a mac 101 class (here's how you print, here's how you use Preview.app to sign docs, isn't that neat).

• Locked thread