Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Dodoman posted:

this why they did it? what does 85% mean in real time hours and not apple percentage time?

they don't know or they would have left it in. same reason your car doesn't tell you how many days you have until you need to fill up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
thankfully the best os, windows 10, still lets me know how much estimated time i have left on my laptop battery.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

THC posted:

it depends on what you are doing with the computer. some tasks consume more energy than others.

possibly in a way which would be calculated and expressed in some sort of number format

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

then improve the estimate to use a rolling average of power consumption over the last 2-10 minutes or something.

seems the real issue is that the OS is running a bunch of background processes while on battery which are sucking down battery. seems the the time estimate was properly indicating how long it would last on battery but maybe not properly considering the expected time of completion of those tasks.
the background processes named in the article like indexing and photo analysis don;t happen on battery. even a rolling average could be pretty far off if you spend 10 mins reading an article with 27 tracking libraries and 2 flash ads and an autoplaying video

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
everyone was talking about qc35s a couple pages ago and as much as i like my sennheiser HD595s i don't like how they don't block any sound at all so i got the qc35s and i am v impressed. they almost block out tiny bug intern. also,

Vintersorg posted:

apple removed time left from macOS in the latest update so it'll be anyones guess

http://www.macworld.com/article/3149732/macs/apple-macos-sierra-update-macbook-pro-battery-life.html

mega lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Watching one of the world's biggest companies commit suicide in realtime sure is something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
daringthisisfineball https://twitter.com/daringfireball/status/808753364897005569

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Citizen Tayne posted:

The scene: the iOS 11 keynote. Tim introduces the new killer feature: comic sans system font. Beautifully rendered. They've done it again.

like 20 years ago brohiem

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I got a brand new last gen 13" Macbook Pro today, the last good 13" ever made.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I haven't opened it because I can't plug anything into it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
on my old mac i had a button on the side i could press and lights would light up to let me know how charged the battery was, this was extremely helpful when i was packing my bags or deciding what to charge in an airport i want it back

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

yippee cahier posted:

they don't know or they would have left it in. same reason your car doesn't tell you how many days you have until you need to fill up.

But my car does give me estimated milage until empty?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

US$180 for a pair of lovely broken earbuds lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you should see what they paid for the lovely broken phone

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

maniacdevnull posted:

But my car does give me estimated milage until empty?

actually this is wrong, sorry. if apple couldn't do it no one can.

anyway check out this sick air pod

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

I got a brand new last gen 13" Macbook Pro today, the last good 13" ever made.

good choice, im loving mine that i got a few weeks ago

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have never loved a computer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

then you've never truly loved

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stop complaining or they will remove the battery indicator completely in the next update

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

then you've never truly loved

:smith:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/13/watchos-3-1-1-pulled-bricking-complaints/

I don't think Tim Cook is going to make it through 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
see thing is he could pull his head in. but will
he

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

he's rich as gently caress don't give two fucks

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
watchos doing the best possible thing to the worst apple item

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

even a bricked iwatch tells battery time remaining correctly twice a day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

on my old mac i had a button on the side i could press and lights would light up to let me know how charged the battery was, this was extremely helpful when i was packing my bags or deciding what to charge in an airport i want it back

my xps 15 has this. its nice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

watchos doing the best possible thing to the worst apple item

<-----
agreed

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I don't gently caress my computer and cum inside it, we make love

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

my xps 15 has this. its nice

my xps 13 also has this. its neat.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maniacdevnull posted:

I don't gently caress my computer and cum inside it, we make love

in a love maker space?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

He ruined Apple

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was playing with an xps 15 at best buy and it was unsurprisingly made I'd cheap creaky plastic. the hinge was so tight that if you try to open it with one hand, you just lift the whole laptop off the table. I don't know if this is better or worse than other laptops where it lifts partway before the bottom finally drops down slamming on the table. but I guess that's intentional since they didn't bother to design a lip into the front to actually grab it by, so you have to shove your fingernails in between the tiny gap to actually open it. the actual surprising thing is that anyone would recommend a Dell. I assume shaggar is just trolling at the point. even a surface book isn't that bad.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Now that Radeon Pro WX cards are coming out very soon and the Xeon E5 v4 family have overkill cache, do you think next year Apple will finally make a mac trash bin that doesn't perform like rear end?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pierogi posted:

even a bricked iwatch tells battery time remaining correctly twice a day

<!> Apple corp. Critical Failure <!>
help/watch?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
oh, i definitely want to watch the failure of apple :munch:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I was playing with an xps 15 at best buy and it was unsurprisingly made I'd cheap creaky plastic. the hinge was so tight that if you try to open it with one hand, you just lift the whole laptop off the table. I don't know if this is better or worse than other laptops where it lifts partway before the bottom finally drops down slamming on the table. but I guess that's intentional since they didn't bother to design a lip into the front to actually grab it by, so you have to shove your fingernails in between the tiny gap to actually open it. the actual surprising thing is that anyone would recommend a Dell. I assume shaggar is just trolling at the point. even a surface book isn't that bad.

i have an xps 13 and it's cool and good and is made of aluminum and carbon fiber and is easy to open if your hands aren't hamburger-helper cartoon mittens

tl;dr: you're holding it wrong

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how bad are the new iOS and macOS updates should i not install them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bump_fn posted:

how bad are the new iOS and macOS updates should i not install them

never update

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

akadajet posted:

never update

akadajet posted:

never update

akadajet posted:

never update

akadajet posted:

never update

akadajet posted:

never update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Junior Jr. posted:

Now that Radeon Pro WX cards are coming out very soon and the Xeon E5 v4 family have overkill cache, do you think next year Apple will finally make a mac trash bin that doesn't perform like rear end?

no

• Locked thread