Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Yeah, whether you keep a paper logbook in parallel, for a professional pilot I'd consider having a digital one essentially mandatory. When you're applying places and start filling out time grids with weird combination categories like "Non-instructor PIC in [particular type]" (actual example from Airlineapps) there's just... no way to put that together from paper.

I was also into the classic aspect of paper logbooks (probably half my time is WWII era airplanes) so I kept them up for a while, but was lucky enough to run digital in parallel from the get-go. A few years ago when the paper started lagging further and further behind (by like a year) they got lost in a move, so now I'm digital only.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The regional I used to work for, flying 5 legs a day, had an exportable schedule that I could then import into Logten Pro with a few clicks and then a look-over to make sure everything was correct. It populated everything, even the name of the rest of the crew I flew with. Took me 30 minutes every few months. Made the decision to switch to digital-only very easy. If you are paranoid, then just print your poo poo every so often. Logten Pro even has a function that formats for printing and attaching to your own binder, and you can even order the prints from them.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
whelp i love my digital logbook.
but my airline just lost 6 E170s so there goes any movement for 3-4 months while attrition catches up with the shrinking size. gently caress. I think I'll still be able to upgrade if they run any classes at all (i bet they still will, but fewer people) but I'll sit junior for longer now on CA rsv. :/

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I use logten pro and a paper logbook out of paranoia/nostalgia but I really don't like logten anymore since they moved to the subscription model for their iOS apps. Unfortunately they seem to be the only game in town when it comes to iOS/mac stuff.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dude just use foreflight

It's awesome and worth every penny

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Animal posted:

The regional I used to work for, flying 5 legs a day, had an exportable schedule that I could then import into Logten Pro with a few clicks and then a look-over to make sure everything was correct. It populated everything, even the name of the rest of the crew I flew with. Took me 30 minutes every few months. Made the decision to switch to digital-only very easy. If you are paranoid, then just print your poo poo every so often. Logten Pro even has a function that formats for printing and attaching to your own binder, and you can even order the prints from them.

Same for me, except replace LogTen Pro with mccPILOTLOG. Works great except when it imports the wrong CRJ variant and then I have to comb through and make sure everything else is correct :argh:

The Slaughter posted:

whelp i love my digital logbook.
but my airline just lost 6 E170s so there goes any movement for 3-4 months while attrition catches up with the shrinking size. gently caress. I think I'll still be able to upgrade if they run any classes at all (i bet they still will, but fewer people) but I'll sit junior for longer now on CA rsv. :/

Meanwhile, I got offered a class date next month but I turned it down because I'd rather not be a captain in Detroit. Two leg commute for flying the 200 in and out of lovely midwest airports? Thanks but no thanks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

I use logten pro and a paper logbook out of paranoia/nostalgia but I really don't like logten anymore since they moved to the subscription model for their iOS apps. Unfortunately they seem to be the only game in town when it comes to iOS/mac stuff.

MyFlightbook has an iOS app and a website

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
I haven't touched my logbook in over 5 years now and it feels great!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I got to touch my logbook tonight, because after two and a half weeks of the shittiest weather (that nonetheless gives you hope, because it's so clear... just terribly windy and/or frigid) and five or six cancelled flights, I finally got a good night for a night cross-country!

I'd have to say my biggest weakness on the flight was not trusting my flight planning enough. I tried to navigate visually toward the end of my first leg, and had I just flown the course I had written on my navlog, I would've been perfect instead of ending up a little bit east of where I ought to have turned final. There were fewer visual landmarks on the second leg to distract me, and I flew the whole leg perfect, and then the final leg I had to deal with Calgary Terminal, so that wasn't really an issue.

And so, PT6A completes the necessary night hours for his night rating. Now to finish up the required instrument/hood time...

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
OP update - passed my CFI-I checkride last night! Got to cap it off by flying the VOR/DME 15 at Martin State as the 3rd approach, first time I've ever actually flown the whole thing.

CFI CFII (KMTN)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
that approach is badass. i used to do it in the sim all the time.
http://www.vatmex.com/charts/MMMY.pdf Look at the VOR approaches here on like page 15+. We do those in the E175. Thankfully it has them in the database...

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 18, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
An arc right in to a straight in, that's badass. I love obscure/unusual approaches.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Passed my final sim for the captain upgrade today!

It wasn't my best performance in the sim (apparently I don't get along well with one specific emergency checklist), but I managed to salvage a terrible first leg with a much better second leg, which is why the check airman passed me.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Butt Reactor posted:

Meanwhile, I got offered a class date next month but I turned it down because I'd rather not be a captain in Detroit. Two leg commute for flying the 200 in and out of lovely midwest airports? Thanks but no thanks.

A lot of people at my airline are in the same situation, including myself. Id much rather have a 30 minute drive and a decent schedule as an FO than a 2 hour flight to the bottom of the RSV list as a captain.

Turns out that when you give a pilot a decent quality of life they tend to hold on to it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Say I want to do an IPC in a Redbird FMX at a local flight school. ACS guidance (page A-11) says you can do everything in an AATD like the Redbird except for circling, Landing, and multi-engine tasks.

I'm trying to figure out the real world implications of this. Do I understand you can fly the entire IPC in the simulator, but then need to actually fly an approach to do the circle and land?

What if I just took off to appropriate height, said I was "now circling" and did a nice an easy .1 landing. Is that kosher? Looking for anecdotal experiences. Not used to mixing simulators into the equations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-faa-investigation-plane-wrong-direction-20161220-story.html

that was pretty bad.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The article? Yes. Numerous mistakes, mixing feet & meters, saying ATC issued a left 180 then showing the flight path as a right 180.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

The article? Yes. Numerous mistakes, mixing feet & meters, saying ATC issued a left 180 then showing the flight path as a right 180.

The flight path starts a left turn from runway heading that ends at a heading around 360, then they turn right to 180.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hobbesmaster posted:

The flight path starts a left turn from runway heading that ends at a heading around 360, then they turn right to 180.

I completely misread that part. Right turn TO 180, not a right hand 180 course reversal. They still mixed up meters and feet :colbert:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Just past 10 hours, 1/4th of the way there!

Forward slips are pretty cool.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

A lot of people at my airline are in the same situation, including myself. Id much rather have a 30 minute drive and a decent schedule as an FO than a 2 hour flight to the bottom of the RSV list as a captain.

Turns out that when you give a pilot a decent quality of life they tend to hold on to it.

My first CFI is now a CVG-based captain for PSA and has no intentions of leaving because he lives just across the river from the airport and shifted from DAY as soon as they opened the base.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

My first CFI is now a CVG-based captain for PSA and has no intentions of leaving because he lives just across the river from the airport and shifted from DAY as soon as they opened the base.

Also, PSA had a scab-like behavior YES vote for concessions in exchange for shiny jets and flow to AA, so all he has to do is hang in there being home based until he gets the call.

A lot of us will never forgive pre 2015 PSA pilots.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Brown streak.

Fingers crossed here at CP that I can get into an upgrade class in Feb or March and not be totally hosed by the loss of airplanes, but I'm probably hosed. Honestly I'm getting 90 hrs w/ 18 off so a few more months like that will be bearable, I just wish we had buddy bidding so I could only fly with my CA buddies. I'm really good friends with several captains and trips with them don't even feel like work, but you get a mouthbreather that's just a miserable gently caress for 3 days and I hate life. Thankfully that's few and far between but still, if I had buddy bidding...

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

Brown streak.

Fingers crossed here at CP that I can get into an upgrade class in Feb or March and not be totally hosed by the loss of airplanes, but I'm probably hosed. Honestly I'm getting 90 hrs w/ 18 off so a few more months like that will be bearable, I just wish we had buddy bidding so I could only fly with my CA buddies. I'm really good friends with several captains and trips with them don't even feel like work, but you get a mouthbreather that's just a miserable gently caress for 3 days and I hate life. Thankfully that's few and far between but still, if I had buddy bidding...

I never had access to avoidance bidding, so take this with a grain of salt. Flying with assholes early in your career helps keep you from becoming one of those assholes.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Been lurking this thread for a while, and I'm not a pilot or anything but I just watched this interesting talk, which is about the failures of automation in airplanes - it's about a half hour long.

Any opinions, actual pilots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi79iJoqe8o&t=88s

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looking into taking the plunge on a private pilot's license. My dad got his when I was 8, has owned a pair of Champs and a Cessna 150 since then, has a half built Hatz in the garage... so I'm not totally unprepared for the expense and time involved. I even have a logbook and flight computer somewhere, although I don't think I'll borrow dad's big box of King training VHSes :)

Anyone in New Mexico? I'm looking for a good instructor with inexpensive rentals who can do tailwheel endorsements (my dream is a Pietenpol, Champ, or Stinson)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It's smarter to do conventional tricycle gear flight training and then after the PPL transition to tailwheel.

It saves everyone involved a lot of money if you do it the *regular* way and then move to tailwheel (read:insurance premiums)

Where exactly in NM are you?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

It's smarter to do conventional tricycle gear flight training and then after the PPL transition to tailwheel.

It saves everyone involved a lot of money if you do it the *regular* way and then move to tailwheel (read:insurance premiums)

Where exactly in NM are you?

Ok, so you're saying I should just find a tricycle instructor first, then find somebody else to do the tail wheel endorsement after I get my license? I actually think that's how my dad did it, or something along that line.

I'm in Albuquerque.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, so you're saying I should just find a tricycle instructor first, then find somebody else to do the tail wheel endorsement after I get my license? I actually think that's how my dad did it, or something along that line.

I'm in Albuquerque.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend doing it that way. You'll have enough poo poo to deal with when you're just starting out without the added issues that flying a taildragger can cause.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Disagree with all of the above. If you have access to a tailwheel airplane and an tailwheel instructor, and insurance that'll let you solo it, absolutely learn to fly in the taildragger! Might as well learn it right the first time.

Also in aviation "conventional gear" means tailwheel, counter to the dictionary definition.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah ABQ will have a lot of options. Double Eagles in the west side will be the easy target for GA stuff. Los Alamos might even have some regular tailwheel guys.

What would be awesome is to go to Raton and do some gliding. That's been on my list for a few years.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Well, the pa-28 140 I normally fly for my lessons is in for its 100 hour inspection, so tomorrow morning I get to fly the 180!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Nevermind I was thinking the 182 I don't think I've ever been in a 180. Still, have fun!

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 28, 2016

simble
May 11, 2004

The PA-28-180 (Cherokee) and PA-28-235 (Dakota) make up my short list of airplanes I'm looking to buy right now.

The problem is that I _know_ I can afford the 180 and I'm only "pretty sure" I can afford a 235. A total brain vs heart decision and heart is currently winning.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

simble posted:

The PA-28-180 (Cherokee) and PA-28-235 (Dakota) make up my short list of airplanes I'm looking to buy right now.

The problem is that I _know_ I can afford the 180 and I'm only "pretty sure" I can afford a 235. A total brain vs heart decision and heart is currently winning.

Density altitude is a major consideration in your part of the world. I think the 235 is a good choice for you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

Yeah ABQ will have a lot of options. Double Eagles in the west side will be the easy target for GA stuff. Los Alamos might even have some regular tailwheel guys.

What would be awesome is to go to Raton and do some gliding. That's been on my list for a few years.

Thanks! I've driven up to Double Eagle a few times to ogle the planes, maybe I'll just stop in and ask around. Los Alamos is a trip but if it's just for tailwheel training that would be doable (by that time I could probably be getting solo hours in too by flying up there in a rental, taking tailwheel lessons, and flying back...)

Have you flown in ABQ? The elevation plus the hot summers makes me wonder how a little 65hp plane will do... I haven't been in a small plane in New Mexico at all.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Pham Nuwen posted:

Have you flown in ABQ? The elevation plus the hot summers makes me wonder how a little 65hp plane will do... I haven't been in a small plane in New Mexico at all.

I've flown all over New Mexico. Almost overheated my Mooney climbing out of Double Eagle. Combination of leaning mixture for the high heat and high density altitude with the low airspeed climb which resulted in not enough cooling into the cowling.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'd also say if you can find a tailwheel instructor happy for you to your ppl in straight off go for it. It may take marginally longer to learn, but you won't pick up the bad habit of lazy feet and you'll think about taxiing much more. It also opens up a world of much more interesting aircraft.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Hello goons, I'm building a Rans S20. I purchased the entire kit, and thus far only the wings are complete. If anyone wants to talk about kit planes, I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

rldmoto posted:

Hello goons, I'm building a Rans S20. I purchased the entire kit, and thus far only the wings are complete. If anyone wants to talk about kit planes, I'm down.

Don't forget to check out the home built thread also, though it's not very active.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474976

• Locked thread