Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a godsend to a guy who hasn't been able to drive because of US citizenship issues his whole life.

You don't need to be a citizen to drive, do you? I had a California license for years, and I'm not a citizen. Is New York different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've spent a lot of time there and I love it, but that's probably because I never go anywhere near Trump Tower. I think I love it so much because it's really easy to get to interesting places like good restaurants, museums, bars, parks, etc. without needing a car or even a driver's license. It's a godsend to a guy who hasn't been able to drive because of US citizenship issues his whole life.

Man, I feel like anyone, myself included, that comes from a big city that doesn't have good mass transit (especially a subway system) I get really jealous every time I visit those that do. DC, Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto, getting around all of them is so drat convenient and I don't have to deal with driving myself and finding/paying for parking. I'm sure all those systems have their own problems and can be an inconvenience but I would sell my soul for a decent transit system in Detroit.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

Man, I feel like anyone, myself included, that comes from a big city that doesn't have good mass transit (especially a subway system) I get really jealous every time I visit those that do. DC, Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto, getting around all of them is so drat convenient and I don't have to deal with driving myself and finding/paying for parking. I'm sure all those systems have their own problems and can be an inconvenience but I would sell my soul for a decent transit system in Detroit.

I don't know the last time you were in DC but the metro system is more or less gone to poo poo because trains and tracks kept catching on fire, and the trains are full of puke most of the time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was in DC recently and one of those 3 story tall escalators broke down and everyone stopped and didn't know what to do

I will say DC was better about the "keep to the right if you're a lazy rear end in a top hat" rule but there were definitely still tourists

Also it was cool that buying a subway ticket would give you dollar coins for change but the machine actually didn't accept them as currency for new tickets

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

im pooping! posted:

I don't know the last time you were in DC but the metro system is more or less gone to poo poo because trains and tracks kept catching on fire, and the trains are full of puke most of the time.

All public transit has its moments. I once saw a homeless man take a "shower" on the Chicago red line by pouring the contents (didn't really smell like water) of a two liter bottle onto his head and then shake off like a dog. I didn't get wet, but there were an awful lot of angry people on that train.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Well, that escalated quickly.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Munich has an amazing transit system, but I guess it's pretty easy to put together a nice rail system when your city has two standing buildings in 1945.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Some of these are probably fake, funny regardless.

https://trumpgrets.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/trumpbigregrets

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Tale of Smith

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

You don't need to be a citizen to drive, do you? I had a California license for years, and I'm not a citizen. Is New York different?

I don't, but it's only a year-long license and I have to provide proof of residency. When I went, I ended up having to get a manager involved because the DMV clerk tried refusing to accept my paperwork. I can't get a proper license with a long expiration until I have my citizenship, and a long story involving my dad renouncing his citizenship means I've been waiting for years. I can drive and had to do so illegally for a week while my mom was hospitalized, but I legally cannot be behind the wheel of anything bigger than a bicycle.

When I visit NYC (I live in Florida), it's a breath of fresh air, no pun about New York air quality intended. I just buy a MetroCard and I can roam all over the city freely. It may not be as fast at crossing distances as a car on the highway, but it doesn't require anything but a card and my feet.

This is also why I'm a big proponent of Uber and Lyft, which have been an absolute godsend for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

a long story involving my dad renouncing his citizenship

Holy poo poo. What a mess that must be.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

Strangely enough the girl who got booted was surprisingly level-headed about the incident, said she had too much to drink and she took way to long to do what she was trying to do and she doesn't blame the guy for pushing her off.

:canada:

anyway re. quebec chat the quebecois are generally very nice people unless you walk up to them and start blathering in English like they're supposed to understand. Nearly all of them do, but it's obviously kind of insulting. Try to speak a few words of French and show you're making an effort, and they'll switch to English if it's obvious you're struggling and be pleasant about it.

Quebec drivers, though, hooooo boy

"I's true in Montréal you cannot turn right on de red light...but tabarnac, I can go right troo it!!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

"I's true in Montréal you cannot turn right on de red light...but tabarnac, I can go right troo it!!"

In Montréal, I forget where, there is a sign that reads "wait for green light before proceeding". Just as a reminder I guess.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I know he's probably just going to the sidewalk to make sure he's okay but I want to imagine the biker was just "welp gently caress it I'm a pedestrian now."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sagebrush posted:

:canada:

anyway re. quebec chat the quebecois are generally very nice people unless you walk up to them and start blathering in English like they're supposed to understand. Nearly all of them do, but it's obviously kind of insulting. Try to speak a few words of French and show you're making an effort, and they'll switch to English if it's obvious you're struggling and be pleasant about it.

Quebec drivers, though, hooooo boy

Can you (or anyone else who drives in Quebec on a regular basis) explain something for me? Back in September I drove from Burlington VT to Montreal at night, and several times drivers behind me would flash their high beams before passing. Bear in mind, I was in the right-hand lane and not the passing lane when I noticed this (also, I was driving pretty much right at the speed limit since it was dark and I was in unfamiliar territory). I thought maybe it was because I was driving an American rental car for whatever reason, but I noticed it happen to other cars as well. So was I just not speeding fast enough to make the native drivers happy, or what?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://twitter.com/MorganSvobodny/status/806921235863060480

Probably certainly fake, but still funny.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
High beams are also known as 'passing lights' which people flash to get your attention before pulling into opposite traffic and overtaking you.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jeff Sichoe posted:

High beams are also known as 'passing lights' which people flash to get your attention before pulling into opposite traffic and overtaking you.

not in the united states

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
actually looking it up it's more a Motorcycle thing than a car thing anyway

Perhaps these Canadians flashing were simply propositioning you

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Moose posted:

not in the united states

Yeah in the US if someone flashes their lights at you they're gonna shoot you as part of their gang initiation, everyone knows that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The high-beam switch used to be described as having a flash-to-pass feature in some Canadian car manuals.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Subjunctive posted:

The high-beam switch used to be described as having a flash-to-pass feature in some Canadian car manuals.

What the stupid gently caress? I can see they're passing because they indicate and pull past me.

I can't see if some dickhead blinds me through the rearview mirror with his highbeams. There's a reason you're not supposed to use them when behind or in front of someone.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Parts Kit posted:

I know he's probably just going to the sidewalk to make sure he's okay but I want to imagine the biker was just "welp gently caress it I'm a pedestrian now."

He had to catch up with his soul that was still moving. If he was going any faster his soul would have reached escape velocity and he would have died.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

People protest a seal fur products store in St. John's, Newfoundland. Business booms as a result:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/natural-boutique-anti-seal-protest-1.3892553

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Outrail posted:

What the stupid gently caress? I can see they're passing because they indicate and pull past me.

I can't see if some dickhead blinds me through the rearview mirror with his highbeams. There's a reason you're not supposed to use them when behind or in front of someone.

But, but what about when you can see the axe murderer in the back seat of the car in front of you? :ohdear:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've seen some people flick their highbeams to indicate 'hey turn down your high beams I'm going blind here' but I don't know if that's universal or just Mom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YggiDee posted:

I've seen some people flick their highbeams to indicate 'hey turn down your high beams I'm going blind here' but I don't know if that's universal or just Mom.

Sometimes people do that to me, except that my high‐beams aren’t on. I’m tempted to flash them to say “THESE ARE MY ACTUAL HIGH BEAMS”.

My headlights are stock, adjusted correctly, and mounted pretty low, so IDGI. I think it’s an old person thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When will we just get night vision windshields?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

YggiDee posted:

I've seen some people flick their highbeams in an effort to get better tips

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I liked the only time I was in new york but to me, I felt random strangers in the street had some kind of a very ''sad'' vibe. People I legit met though were fine. Is it just me?

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Way back when I was getting my license my driver's manual said you are actually supposed to honk your horn before passing someone.Why would anyone want you to do this? It would panic the poo poo out of me every time if they did.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Odddzy posted:

I liked the only time I was in new york but to me, I felt random strangers in the street had some kind of a very ''sad'' vibe. People I legit met though were fine. Is it just me?

We're nice. We're just in a hurry and we don't generally make small talk with strangers, and you were probably in the way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Holy poo poo. What a mess that must be.

Yeah, turns out the US government doesn't like it very much when you write down "Yeah, both my parents totally have US citizenship" and your divorced, now deceased dad decided he had enough of America and renounced his citizenship to live in a cabin in New Brunswick without telling anyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Content: A Brazilian robber gets hit by the karma train faster than anyone else, dying of a heart attack in the middle of the robbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKGLuE5EJo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, turns out the US government doesn't like it very much when you write down "Yeah, both my parents totally have US citizenship" and your divorced, now deceased dad decided he had enough of America and renounced his citizenship to live in a cabin in New Brunswick without telling anyone.

Isn’t one U.S. parent enough anyway?

I guess they think that TERRISTS live in cabins in New Brunswick.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One famous terrorist did live in a remote cabin

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t one U.S. parent enough anyway?

The US government does not appreciate it when people lie on their citizenship papers, even if they don't know they're lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oldpainless posted:

One famous terrorist did live in a remote cabin

The U.S. government should keep chitoryu12 close so they can run manifestos by him and see if he recognises the prose.