Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Vernacular posted:

The Nats also did throw more money at Jansen, only to be rebuffed, which is indeed quite :lol:

The Nats deal contained significant deferred money, so it might not have actually been a better deal. Basically all of their big money deals do, my understanding is that the TV money dispute is a big factor in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Your Taint posted:

Who's the worst? Is it me? Please say it's me!

It was actually going to be a setup for the old "link to your own profile" trick but if you want to claim the mantle I'm not gonna stop you

Also hazing is bad in general and stopping ritual humiliation of any kind is a good thing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GeneX posted:

Also hazing is bad in general and stopping ritual humiliation of any kind is a good thing

Yeah I was originally going to make an "all hazing is offensive" quip but Chief Wahoo felt like a cheaper shot. :v:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Who's the one in yellow?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Clearly the solution is to haze rookies by making then dress as Chief Wahoo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

GeneX posted:

It was actually going to be a setup for the old "link to your own profile" trick but if you want to claim the mantle I'm not gonna stop you

Ya but how do you know that your teammates get how to be teammates if you can't have Cal Ripken bearing the making GBS threads out of rookies.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I kind of hate the whole "well they fixed one thing, but this other issue is here so nothing is fixed!" shtick. Hazing was usually bad, and MLB has taken actions to fix it. Yes, Chief Wahoo still exists (which seems to be more the Indians pleading to keep it and MLB saying "eh, gently caress it, fine"), but I'm not going to say progress wasn't made today.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Who's the one in yellow?

Kinda looks like Matt Szczur.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
At least here's one time that the alpha male traditionalists can't respond to a change by crying "put dresses on 'em!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You'd figure the entire minor league experience is hazing enough.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ChiTownEddie posted:

Kinda looks like Matt Szczur.

Ah, thanks. I completely forgot what he looked like.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

I kind of hate the whole "well they fixed one thing, but this other issue is here so nothing is fixed!" shtick. Hazing was usually bad, and MLB has taken actions to fix it. Yes, Chief Wahoo still exists (which seems to be more the Indians pleading to keep it and MLB saying "eh, gently caress it, fine"), but I'm not going to say progress wasn't made today.

I guess it just seems insincere and that the MLB is posturing. Okay, so maybe 5 players on maybe 5 teams once a year have to wear a dress. This is bad metrics for the league. When 162 games a year a team is a loving caricature of a minority that was genocided in that country.

I do agree its a step forward, but it seems there are so much more glaring issues right now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

I guess it just seems insincere and that the MLB is posturing. Okay, so maybe 5 players on maybe 5 teams once a year have to wear a dress. This is bad metrics for the league. When 162 games a year a team is a loving caricature of a minority that was genocided in that country.

I do agree its a step forward, but it seems there are so much more glaring issues right now.

Whelp, better not do any good things ever until chief wahoo is gone.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

GeneX posted:

stopping ritual humiliation of any kind is a good thing

Ritual humiliation is part of the game. See: [Bad Team Name Of Your Choosing]

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

patonthebach posted:

Something I've learned this year especially is that you should be thankful for the small victories while still pushing for the bigger changes you seek.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Police are still getting away with killing minorities with no repercussions? Sorry gay marriage, you'll have to wait until this is righted

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I don't get why costumes became the universal thing, you can haze in more fun (and still traditional!) ways without courting any of the other poo poo. For instance, making rookies go paint the balls on General Sheridan's horse in team colors their first time in Chicago.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
As long as whatever team employs Dan Vogelbach is allowed to do this:

I don't care if he sticks around and has a 15 year career. He should have to dress like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yeah why doesn't MLB hurry up and solve the problems in Syria.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
No longer will MLB players dress up like Pro-Assad forces and launch missiles at East Aleppo.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
You can win over the youth of today with thighs and abs, MLB -- Stop shutting down players wearing clothing that's formfitting or outright pantsless.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

Yeah why doesn't MLB hurry up and solve the problems in Syria.

Next overseas MLB exhibition game confirmed for Syria.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Hey, remember Kevin Youkilis?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Eucilis, the Greek God of False Equivalences

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite Kevin Youkilis moment was his BBREF url.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rand alPaul posted:

My favorite Kevin Youkilis moment was his BBREF url.

:stare:

also going to that page confused me, it felt like his career lasted way longer than it did, when in reality he only played a few "full" seasons, and even in those he sat a lot of games.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Youk's last game:

Last Game: June 13, 2013 (Age 34.090) vs. OAK 7 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB

what a stinker!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I asked a half a dozen women who are parts of my life for various reasons, all of whom are both educated and ranging from very to extremely liberal, if they found the hazing pics posted in this thread thus far offensive. 3 of the six had no opinion and 3 of the 6 found it funny.

I realize this anecdotal and I have no strong opinion about this one way or another but I'm kind of wondering who the target offended audience is.

Also they still use a racist caricature for a team logo thats cool.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

I asked a half a dozen women who are parts of my life for various reasons, all of whom are both educated and ranging from very to extremely liberal, if they found the hazing pics posted in this thread thus far offensive. 3 of the six had no opinion and 3 of the 6 found it funny.

I realize this anecdotal and I have no strong opinion about this one way or another but I'm kind of wondering who the target offended audience is.

Also they still use a racist caricature for a team logo thats cool.
Perhaps it's more about setting a better example for young people (like kids on high school baseball teams) than about any specific appeal to women or any subset of potential fans. The same could be said for the ban on chewing tobacco.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClevelandScene/status/808784341815988229

Cleveland Spiders is the obvious choice

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 14, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For the record I oppose the chewing tobacco ban because it's such a weird holdover from a bygone era that somehow survived this long.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's not that the pics in question are specifically offensive, the offensive part of it is the implication that being a woman would be some kind of punishment

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I want to see Wahoo gone as much as the next guy but most of those logos suck. Just use the block "C" they already have. As for the name how about the Cleavers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I want to see Wahoo gone as much as the next guy but most of those logos suck. Just use the block "C" they already have. As for the name how about the Cleavers.

How about no team name. Just...Cleveland.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

No love for Naps.

I refuse to consider any of these.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Poque posted:

it's not that the pics in question are specifically offensive, the offensive part of it is the implication that being a woman would be some kind of punishment

This right here. There's a ton going on, but this is the core of it.

Edit:

Hell yes sign me up.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The Industrials is a good name even if it is not the best name there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Poque posted:

please don't shame my crossdressing kink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like the look of that Cleveland Inventors logo, except that it's a horrible name.

• Locked thread