Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jealous of the copper hammers. :(

In other news, Sears has a good Gearwrench deal again -- Metric and Standard 20 piece set for $45. If you don't have this set, or its equivalent, you should.

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20pc-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-sae-mm/p-00935720000P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

In other news, Sears has a good Gearwrench deal again -- Metric and Standard 20 piece set for $45. If you don't have this set, or its equivalent, you should.

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20pc-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-sae-mm/p-00935720000P

I have had this set for two years now with regular abuse and they are more than worth it. Can't even get 20 of the horror freight ones for the price. I have only had 1 lock up but a whack on something solid freed it up. It was also my 5/16 which I rarely use ever.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Seminal Flu posted:

Forget that, they're got the metric and sae 7 piece ratcheting flex heads on sale for 27$ again

Combine with arbitrary shop your way coupon rewards and I got mine for 17$ a set.

*side note to save frustration, sears coupon codes work on literally nothing in the store. 10 off 25 for all tools excludes, well, all loving tools

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's comforting to know that, despite my girlfriend's protests otherwise, I'm not the only person out there with an entire drawer full of various hammers and pry bars

And fire!

(That's everyones favourite drawer).

((Label your stuff if you want to have friends over to wrench so you don't spend the whole time answering "where's your screwdrivers?")).

------

TWSS posted:

that amazon price is bonkers, they're on sale at princess auto (canada's harbour freight) for 65 snow pesos starting this tuesday

Yea, despite my love of it, I wouldn't pay more than the PA price for a hammer that is designed to be more deformable than what you're hammering against.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

GrantC posted:

(That's everyones favourite drawer).

((Label your stuff if you want to have friends over to wrench so you don't spend the whole time answering "where's your screwdrivers?")).

Checkmate. That and the magnetic paper towel holder are some of my best HF investments.

So I lent my brother my router the other day. Like clockwork, he dropped it and the thing quit working. Well, I tore it apart, and turns out one of the motor brushes was just cracked, so electricity isn't getting to the commutator bars.

No problem, easy fix, right? Brushes are a universal wear and tear item, right? Nope! In the 15th largest city in America, I can't buy a loving set of replacement brushes directly from sears or any of their three local repair stores, I have to order them and have them shipped. Saddest part is that the brushes alone cost 15$ on a router I paid less than 90$ for. I could have bought a router table/router combo, and the extra cost for the router alone (vs the table sold separately) would set me back the whole cost of the replacement brushes I just bought.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh well, I should count my blessings I can even still get the part since sears is circling the drain anyways.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
hit up ereplacementparts or similar next time instead of ordering parts from sears.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gently caress Sears and their lovely overpriced low quality tools. Good riddance.

(Although I took compete advantage of their appliance price matching and had them beat a Lowe's advertised sale price on a w/d set by, I think, 10%. It's me, I'm the reason they can't make money)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

GrantC posted:

The answer is: "loving everywhere. I've got screwdrivers in my kitchen, in the living room (no joke), and in the drawers near my computer. There's a few in the Jeep too if you can't find one."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

EightBit posted:

The answer is: "loving everywhere. I've got screwdrivers in my kitchen, in the living room (no joke), and in the drawers near my computer. There's a few in the Jeep too if you can't find one."

In AI the follow up question is usually "which jeep?"

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
If you dig a little in the ground anywhere on the farm you can probably find vise grips and screwdrivers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's comforting to know that, despite my girlfriend's protests otherwise, I'm not the only person out there with an entire drawer full of various hammers and pry bars

I have one.
It's called "The problem Solver Drawer"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh well, I should count my blessings I can even still get the part since sears is circling the drain anyways.

I knew it was bad but I didn't know it'd gotten that bad. It's a shame, Amazon has effectively come to a modern version of what the original Sears was, but decades of poor management have left Sears completely unable to react in a meaningful way.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I knew it was bad but I didn't know it'd gotten that bad. It's a shame, Amazon has effectively come to a modern version of what the original Sears was, but decades of poor management have left Sears completely unable to react in a meaningful way.

Yeah, it's bad... The CEO is largely to blame. Sears is planning on selling off the iconic craftsman, kenmore, and die hard brands, and the CEO sold all the store's real estate holdings to his own hedge fund to rent back to the stores, and is responsible for scalping the customer service and tool quality that made the store such a beloved institution.

Basically, all the worthwile assets are being sold out from under the store, with zero reinvestment for anything to improve the brand or make them competitive again.

Hope nobody needs to take advantage of that sweet lifetime warranty!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yeah, it's bad... The CEO is largely to blame. Sears is planning on selling off the iconic craftsman, kenmore, and die hard brands, and the CEO sold all the store's real estate holdings to his own hedge fund to rent back to the stores, and is responsible for scalping the customer service and tool quality that made the store such a beloved institution.

Basically, all the worthwile assets are being sold out from under the store, with zero reinvestment for anything to improve the brand or make them competitive again.

How long until he has a cabinet position with Trump?

Craftsman getting sold off might be a net positive for that brand with what has happened with it over the past few years. In old Craftsman news, I finally got to look at the tools my grandma wants me to have. Pretty much all old Craftsman stuff with a lot of it dating back to the '50's or '60's.

Everything in this box:

and then everything you see here:

Some old corded drills and stuff in those cases. No clue if they work.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

While Eddie Lambert is definitely the source of a lot of Sears current financial woes, They still totally missed the E-commerce boat by several years. Even without his randian crap, Sears would still be hurting.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

fknlo posted:

How long until he has a cabinet position with Trump?

Craftsman getting sold off might be a net positive for that brand with what has happened with it over the past few years. In old Craftsman news, I finally got to look at the tools my grandma wants me to have. Pretty much all old Craftsman stuff with a lot of it dating back to the '50's or '60's.

Everything in this box:

and then everything you see here:

Some old corded drills and stuff in those cases. No clue if they work.

I will no joke buy that tool chest combo off you. I've been wanting that combo for years

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MRC48B posted:

While Eddie Lambert is definitely the source of a lot of Sears current financial woes, They still totally missed the E-commerce boat by several years. Even without his randian crap, Sears would still be hurting.

yeah, his antics have certainly made things a lot worse, but missing ecommerce and/or completely loving it up is what killed Radio Shack and Sears, IMO.

Whatever, now I have Digikey, Mouser, Jameco, Allied, Newark, and Amazon. Innovate or die.

e: who wants to buy some Craftsman tools before my lifetime warranty expires? :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
First Montgomery Ward's, now Sears, this is a disturbing trend. Why can't America be great again so that businesses thrive no matter how badly they are run.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

I will no joke buy that tool chest combo off you. I've been wanting that combo for years

It won't be going anywhere due to the sentimental value. Hopefully I can find a spot for it in my garage...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wormil posted:

Why can't America be great again so that businesses thrive no matter how badly they are run.

If you read up on how the current CEO has run Sears it's a miracle they're still just circling the drain instead of long since down it. When you pit your business units against each other like some kind of libertarian thunderdome it doesn't matter how good the economy is.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

If you read up on how the current CEO has run Sears it's a miracle they're still just circling the drain instead of long since down it. When you pit your business units against each other like some kind of libertarian thunderdome it doesn't matter how good the economy is.

Two business enter one business leave. These are the rules of thundadome.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

kastein posted:

e: who wants to buy some Craftsman tools before my lifetime warranty expires? :v:

That remaining lifetime warranty is already garbage. I took two ratchets in (I've had them 17 years now) because the internal gears had broken. I got replacements out of a dingy box under the register with rebuilt, used ratchets.
They don't match each other and they don't match what I brought in. And they're dingy and used.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the build quality of Craftsman has been poo poo for a long time.

My mom bought me a low-end Craftsman tool chest ages ago when I got my own place - probably because as a kid I'd always ogled them, and back then they had been good. I'm pretty sure a sizable portion of her father's tools had been Craftsman, so she bought off of the name and reputation.

I still have it and use it, but I've never had the heart to tell her it's a pile of poo poo compared to either the no-name Costco chest I have, or any of the mid-range+ HF chests.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad got me a Craftsman grinder, drill press and shop vac as housewarming gifts(he's generous as hell). They all seem to be working fine, but the build quality definitely feels more harbor freight than craftsman.

The Craftsman mower, however, started leaking oil as soon as I got it. Some goon at the factory tapped a hole in the wrong spot and punctured the engine casing. Took that piece of poo poo back in for a refund and managed to score a FWD Toro for free on a buy-nothing group.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Funny you mention them being similar to HF build quality. Electrical tools maybe, but HF's ratchets are far above Craftsman's these days when it comes to quality. I've completely switched over to their extendable ratchets for everything except my 1/4 drive stuff because HF's ratchet pawls have far more precise action and also are somehow far more durable. The Craftsman ratchets pretty much just sit in one corner of my toolbag as backups in case the HF one breaks at an inopportune moment.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Geoj posted:

They closed Sears here a long time ago and I thought they were going out of business then. I guess they were, it just wasn't official yet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Im looking to get a set of metric drill bits. 14mm needs to be one of the bits. Any recommendations for ones that don't suck rear end? Preferably that don't cost a car payment as well.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Milwakee

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I worked at Sears 20 years ago. Walmart was just starting to eat their lunch but it was still a race. A lot of the old guard were there still. They could see the writing on the wall and were just waiting to get their time in to retire. It was still an ok place to work when I was there if you disregard the pay rates... There were crises here and there but by and large one day was like the rest, you did your thing just like you always did. Which is a portion of why Sears blew it. They were complacent. It think they thought they were so intertwined with the American consumer, they would always shop there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

One of the saddest things I see if I go to sears is walking by the appliance area and seeing the commission sales guy standing there, desperately waiting for someone to stop and look. :smith:

I was actually looking for a new fridge for work a couple weeks ago and happened to be in sears. Saw a model I was interested in but instead of a price, it had a label that said "SEE ASSOCIATE FOR PRICE" like I was planing on buying a $40,000 car or something.

I did a cursory look for a salesperson, nobody was there so gently caress that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys two tool questions.

First, I'm building a library for my wife, the idea is to get some pre-assembled cabinets and drawers underneath, a simple counter on top, with bookshelves set back against the wall going to the ceiling. I have no woodworking tools, aside from drill bits. I'm thinking I should get circular saw, something to shape/sand the wood, and???? The last wood working I've done was twenty something years ago in seventh and eighth grade. I have a friend who's done under the table contracting and handiwork, so he has some experience. It doesn't seem to difficult to do, according to YouTube, but I want to make sure I start right.

Second, are there Bluetooth OBDII sensors that let me look at real-time data?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

Guys two tool questions.

First, I'm building a library for my wife, the idea is to get some pre-assembled cabinets and drawers underneath, a simple counter on top, with bookshelves set back against the wall going to the ceiling. I have no woodworking tools, aside from drill bits. I'm thinking I should get circular saw, something to shape/sand the wood, and???? The last wood working I've done was twenty something years ago in seventh and eighth grade. I have a friend who's done under the table contracting and handiwork, so he has some experience. It doesn't seem to difficult to do, according to YouTube, but I want to make sure I start right.

Second, are there Bluetooth OBDII sensors that let me look at real-time data?

Yup! try this thing plus torque app. I wouldn't bother with cheaper obdII readers, there's a good chance they straight up won't work quite right and you'll have to wind up buying that one anyways.

This might be better suited discussion for the other tools thread in creative convention, but I just recently did basically the thing you're talking about with a few cabinets my workplace was getting rid of and a few weekends:

Still need to stain and poly it, but there's power and an an ethernet switch inside, and I'm going to put overhanging lights pointing at the shelves on top. I spent about 350$ on hardwood plywood and miscellaneous stuff, and I had some scrap pieces I routed for the trim.

If you're looking to do something like that, you only need a few tools. I would highly highly highly recommend buying several kreg jigs.

The rip cut guide for cutting down sheets of plywood:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2675-Rip-Cut/dp/B007K5HIFS

The shelf pin guide for installing the shelves:

https://www.amazon.com/KREG-KMA3200-Shelf-Pin-Drilling/dp/B005FKX6D8

Pocket hole jig system and screws for building the shelf carcasses:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Pocket-System-Pocket-Hole-Screw/dp/B00ZVE8Q2Y/

And you'll want either a power miter saw or the kreg cross cut guide for mitering boards to length with the circular saw:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2600-Square-Cut/dp/B003ARSYQM/

I wouldn't recommend a router and shaping trip, it's a bitch without a proper router table, and you can buy trim pieces to hide the edges of the plywood pretty cheap at the home despot.

For tools, I'd just recommend buying into an 18v lithium battery tool system, either Makita or Milwaukee, or DeWalt if you want to save a few bucks and don't need a bazillion different battery tools like a string trimmer or floodlight. Either Makita or Milwaukee are top notch choices. You can do the whole project with just this set:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT505-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo/dp/B01L8O0CRC

Oh, and a pneumatic pin nailer and small air compressor are what you need for the trim pieces. Basically, nothing is going to be 100% perfectly flush, especially if you're buying pre-built cabinets to put in, and you'll need the trim pieces to hide the small gaps between the uneven walls/floors, plus it makes everything look nicer. If you're doing shelves, just buy decent plywood, and build them with the kreg pocket screws and kreg shelf pin jig. It'll make the whole project 1000x easier and better. Lumber is expensive, you don't want to gently caress up something that could be easily done with these kinds of tools.

I'd also recommend paint over staining, since you can get away with cheaper lumber and lots of mistakes. And if you're cutting plywood, invest in a good diablo carbide tooth plywood blade (higher tooth count) otherwise you'll gently caress up the veneer pretty bad. But the 18v cordless circular saw and a two 3 amp hour batteries are plenty for the whole project, and much easier/more useful than a table saw. You could spend a lot more and get a track saw, but I don't think that's necessary for your first project, try it with a less expensive investment and see how you like it.

You'll also need the usual suspects like tape measure, combination square, carpenters pencil, wood glue, headless pin nails, good self drilling torx/roberts construction screws, stud finders to secure the cabinets and shelves, safety squints etc. If you don't have a good workshop, a piece of plywood reinforced with dimensional lumber over some plastic sawhorses and a few clamps for your work pieces make a great workbench. That's probably the minimum set of tools I'd recommend for this project. Oh, and a good high power headlamp and floodlight help out tremendously.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That's exactly what I hope to achieve! My wall is bigger 10.5 x 9 ft but overall same concept and execution.

Thanks for the tips.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
What is the default pair of automatic wire strippers? I was hoping I could get one made in the US but that appears out of the question these days.

Edit: These bad boys seem like they tick all the boxes. Anyone use them?

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 17, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

El Jebus posted:

What is the default pair of automatic wire strippers? I was hoping I could get one made in the US but that appears out of the question these days.

These should fit the bill nicely

I've tried three different automatic wire strippers and they all equally sucked, but I've never had an issue with decent regular ones. I can't really think of a situation that automatic ones would be really all that much better in either.

Maybe you might have better luck, but I don't have much faith in the idea after being let down so many times.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

El Jebus posted:

That style works fine but I've found them to be a bit fiddly. I like this style better
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OQ21CA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482007594&sr=8-1

Harbor freight has the 44" top box on sale for $249. The normal coupon price is $279 and the current Super coupon price is $259. I now have a few empty drawers again and might just make it through 2017 without having to buy a second tool chest.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I love me some Ideal Stripmasters, personally.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got a cheap-rear end POWERFIST right angle stripper that has never let me down.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/self-adjusting-wire-stripper-with-cutter/A-p8259848e

i would imagine harblfreight would have something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Powershift posted:

I've got a cheap-rear end POWERFIST right angle stripper that has never let me down.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/self-adjusting-wire-stripper-with-cutter/A-p8259848e

i would imagine harblfreight would have something similar.

Mine says Matco on it and I paid like 40. Fml. They do work really well ...

Also sears is selling craftsman supposedly.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 18, 2016