Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

mdemone posted:

See this is why I was afraid to say I thought it had great promise (first 100 pages disclaimer).

I'm a moderately-sized snob myself so I figured it wasn't Actually Good and would therefore be another among my guilty pleasures. And goodness knows I can't go about advertising such an opinion to the thread that fucks children.

but for real, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Ta-Nehisi Coates and Julio Cortazar have all written or are even currently writing comics. There's lots of good stuff in the medium and among the writers no matter what an anime avatar says imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
did ta-nehisi coates also write cinderella erotica

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm sure its a great book for what it tries to be I just really have no desire to read what it wants to be

for real it's this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Those guys are varying levels of cool, but I'd much rather read something by them that wasn't a comic book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
if comics were good they would be called manga

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jerusalem sounds like Alan Moore's ego finally overtook his brain to the point where he's decided to write the Ultimate Book encompassing everything every book could ever be about and also being the Final Book, and I dunno if I want t oread that

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mover posted:

but for real, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Ta-Nehisi Coates and Julio Cortazar have all written or are even currently writing comics. There's lots of good stuff in the medium and among the writers no matter what an anime avatar says imo.

Jodorowski is maybe the coolest dude who ever lived, but the comic is pretty weak, even with the kool Moebius stuff.

I think Alan Moore is good & want to read his book, if u think it's literature post about it, don't get too upset if other ppl don't tho! Taking art seriously means developing strong opinions.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do however think its adorable that Europe still tries to pretend writers are intellectuals

Writers are the only people that are intellectuals.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I liked Alan Moore when I was a teenager, but that was over a decade ago and I don't want to invest time in his 1,000+ page book.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
After the disappointment that was Hystopia I'm looking to end my 2016 on a high note. So any opinions on which of the following would make me most happy:

Robert Coover: The Public Burning
Ewa Kuryluk: Century 21
Youval Shimoni: A Room

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's a good book that's been published in the past year - I'm asking for the challenge.

Dodge Rose by Jack Cox. I want to eat that book it's so good.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jerusalem sounds like Alan Moore's ego finally overtook his brain to the point where he's decided to write the Ultimate Book encompassing everything every book could ever be about and also being the Final Book, and I dunno if I want t oread that

This is also what I thought, and potentially still think, minus the last few words. I like to read stuff like that, where an author has the chutzpah to call their shot and swing for the fence.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Watchmen was pretty bad

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

idgaf about anyone's opinions on Alan Moore, but these Flann O'Brien short stories are good. So is the first chapter of Cosmos by Witold Gombrowicz, the man got horny because he saw two mouths near each other and I can strongly relate.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Jerome Agricola posted:

After the disappointment that was Hystopia I'm looking to end my 2016 on a high note. So any opinions on which of the following would make me most happy:

Robert Coover: The Public Burning
Ewa Kuryluk: Century 21
Youval Shimoni: A Room

I haven't read the other two but Public Burning is pretty ridiculous great.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the last time i read anything by alan moore i was 18, had just gotten my wisdom teeth out, was tremendously high on percocet and burned through volumes one through whatever of Swamp Thing

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
dalkey is putting out a new edition of the sotweed factor this month, which means that you should read it, if you have not.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I did not like that because I just assumed Newton and whatever had dicks and hosed, even if they did not write about it, so

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

dalkey is putting out a new edition of the sotweed factor this month, which means that you should read it, if you have not.

Kool, I wanted to read this like a year ago but it was out of print or something stupid. I read a collection of Barth's short stories and I thought they sucked out loud though.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead topped most Best-of 2016 lists: NPR, The New York Times, NBA, Publisher's Weekly... Has anyone in this thread read it yet?

Yeah it was really good imo, but then again it was the first thing I read by Whitehead after Zone One so I'm biased

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Elena Ferrante? This is Elena Ferrante speaking.

Oh come on you didn't replace man with woman

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

generation P is extremely strange y'all

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it starts out relatively lucid and then it just sort of escalates

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
How does this thread feel about 1Q84? All of my friends who don't read for pleasure have actually read this book, and can't stop raving about it. However, I don't trust their opinions nearly as much as I trust nerds on the internet. Is it worth deviating from my to-read list?

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
generation p is good and funny and the movie is bad. i also enjoyed "the clay machine gun"/chapayev + void or whatever its called by that guy, recommended if you like gen p

i enjoyed the goat boy but it was 300p too long for me. i loved mason & dixon. SW factor recommended?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
sot-ewed factor is always recommended

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Earnestly posted:

How does this thread feel about 1Q84? All of my friends who don't read for pleasure have actually read this book, and can't stop raving about it. However, I don't trust their opinions nearly as much as I trust nerds on the internet. Is it worth deviating from my to-read list?

murakami is really basic and boring

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Earnestly posted:

I liked it. Not my favorite but it had a nice style and was fun to read. Didn't bog down anywhere.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

chernobyl kinsman posted:

typical elites just can't sympathize with the common working man's experience of living in a mansion over a magical cave in a threeway relationship and worshipping a roman snake god

tbh if I was a millionaire from a working class background, this is exactly what I'd do too.

Class is both and economic and social entity. Moore may not be economically working class anymore, but growing up as one is the sort of thing that sticks with you for life.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Earnestly posted:

I thought it was the weakest of his books that I've read. If you haven't read anything by Murakami, I would at least read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle before 1Q84.

A human heart posted:

murakami is really basic and boring

He does some things very well, but he also has the same set of tropes and metaphors that he repeats in everything he writes and I got tired of it and never finished reading through his bibliography.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I thought Norwegian wood was really boring and never finished it thanks for reading my murakami story thanks

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zamboni Jesus posted:

I thought it was the weakest of his books that I've read. If you haven't read anything by Murakami, I would at least read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle before 1Q84.

Yeah agreed. 1Q84 also had the issue that they translated it in sections so the third volume had a different translator than the first 2 which I remember giving it a tonal shift. I don't know if they ever fixed that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rush Limbo posted:

tbh if I was a millionaire from a working class background, this is exactly what I'd do too.

Class is both and economic and social entity. Moore may not be economically working class anymore, but growing up as one is the sort of thing that sticks with you for life.

i'm just taking the piss mate, it's cool

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Officer Sandvich posted:

sot-ewed factor is always recommended

yes the part where the women are repeatedly raped is very cool, and good

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
whoever mentioned hob broun a few pages back, thanks. Inner Tube was great. I think there's at least one fantastic line/image per page, it's almost exhausting.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

whoever mentioned hob broun a few pages back, thanks. Inner Tube was great. I think there's at least one fantastic line/image per page, it's almost exhausting.

It gets even cooler when you find out that he wrote most of it while he was paralysed from the neck down by blowing through a tube that was connected to a computer.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yeah I knew that from the start. I think of the way I write, insanely typing out sentences and erasing parts of them endlessly, and the idea of writing a book one agonizing letter at a time is inconceivable.

I'm reading The Manuscript Found at Saragossa now, which is pretty bizarre in its own right.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Chamberk posted:

yes the part where the women are repeatedly raped is very cool, and good

putting this on my list now ty

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Is Edward Docx any good? I just read a couple of his articles in The Guardian and they were alright, but I don't know it that translates to novel-writing talent.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

going back and reading the first page of this thread reminded me of the time in my high school British Lit class when the teacher (who was Irish) said "okay technically we're supposed to read The Faerie Queen next but Edmund Spenser hated the Irish so we're skipping that poo poo"

And then years later by some stroke of luck I had the exact same teacher for the exact same class in college and she did the same thing again

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Ryu is the better murakami. Read Coin Locker Babies instead and tell your friends that they're useless and then go do some crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solitair posted:

Is Edward Docx any good? I just read a couple of his articles in The Guardian and they were alright, but I don't know it that translates to novel-writing talent.

Generally if someone writes for the guardian, or indeed any so called news media, that means they're bad