Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

My guess is some sort of Jackal.

Note: According to furries, all Jackals are deep black Anubis types.

Probably because it's hard to tell a Jackal from a Fox if it isn't Anubis inspired. Also Anubis is kinda awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

blankd posted:

2. Does anyone else think the shoulderpads look like an Angry Bird?

I did not notice it, but now that I look at it, yes, you're right, those shoulder pads look exactly like an Angry Bird.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's wearing a loving ermine stole too

Black ermine fur with yellow spots.

Kill me

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

He's wearing a loving ermine stole too

Black ermine fur with yellow spots.

Kill me
Shouldn't that be like wearing human skin, given it's furryland?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Well, it could be a horrifying quirk of this particular ruler, Crusader Kings style?

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Everything about this game is something we should never have had to see.
And yet we all clicked on the thread at gunpoint willingly. Sometimes I wish brain bleach was real.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

blankd posted:

2. Does anyone else think the shoulderpads look like an Angry Bird?

Do not mock the royal attire of Immortal God-King Velasquez, Municipal Fuhrer, Autocrat of All Borroughs!

But yeah they totally do.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'll be honest, I'm only really reading the OP's commentary in the updates and the thread reactions. It makes things much more bearable.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Klace has left the building! :woop:

That means -- No, it cant be. It just can't Suddenly everything seems to come crashing down. There would be no more world tour...! Would we be sent back home?

Would we become some sort of media hot-shots? Kila's jaw appears inches away from the floor. I can tell he's fighting off tears with fervent effort.

Everything about this writing is just a pain to read through. Who describes a person fighting off tears with 'fervent effort'? Come to think of it, is there even an instance where using fervent doesn't look weird and wooden as hell?

He seems to be unable to form a coherent sentence. I reach out to comfort him and--

DAMNIT KILA, STOP PARALYZING RABIES WITH YOUR OTAKU VENOM! :argh:

Know what time it is?

Time for a fun romp in t̶h̶e̶ ̶V̶e̶l̶v̶e̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶o̶m̶ Furryspace!

Is this guy gonna be one of those mysterious characters who says mysterious things except the things he says are just basic facts?

Some would hope it's the other way around. To watch your world fade away...Like a small fly being swatted on the wall. Just like that -- someone can die.

If you think nobody's below life, then I have a certain squirrel I want to introduce you to.

I've had enough of his cryptic speeches! I deserve some answers, and I make that very clear. Thankfully, I'm able to move and speak again.

You want answers...? What is an answer exactly? A doorway to more questions, perhaps?

Goddamn this character is ~mysterious~ in the worst possible way.

And no, the writer pointing out that he's being a cryptic shithead doesn't excuse it.

Well, I did promise you answers. But I cannot suspend this place for long. Please come with me to The Ark.

Suspend...?

Does every character in this game have a weird trailing speech tic?

You'll have to grab my hand. A connection is required to do this.

Yeah, what about that plot hole?

That sounds like Rabies might die and we'll all be free from this lovely game. Should I give us the sweet release of death?

And miss out on perfectly good suffering? I think not! :mrgw:

And to give me a power like he implied he did? He had to trust me as well...

Let's all admire Rabies' critical thinking skills here.

:v: That hobo that lives in the alleyway said he granted me the ability to shoot frogs from my dick! Boy, if he gave me a power like that he must really trust me!

This might hurt a little bit.

This game has already hurt me in ways you can't imagine.

Why? Why even bother saying he uses his free hand? A person with third-grade reading comprehension would realize he used his free hand without being told.

Well he's certainly spruced up the place while we were gone. Is that a new nebula? :v:

First and foremost, allow me to apologize. I feel as though you may be overwhelmed. It's not like me to take things so fast. But recently -- matters have become urgent.

Furthermore, I -will- give you answers. I feel like you deserve as much. So I welcome you once more. To the Ark. A place where you can relax and ponder. A place where you can collect yourself.

Can I sic ghosts on people from here?

Boy did you choose wrong.

And you are the first here in a very long time. So you are free to relax. No danger will befall you here. Not as long as you are by my side.

I'm getting second-hand violation of my personal space just from reading this.

So, about these answers you requested. I am willing to provide you with them.

But I'll only answer -one- question. There are more important matters at hand. I would like it if you thought carefully. I will not be vague, or hide the truth. So make sure you ask what you truly want.

So, this will be important. I want you to sear into your memory that next to last sentence, where he says he's not going to be vague or hide the truth. Trust me, it'll be relevant later on.

I mean if he hadn't of died he probably would have been arrested for indecent exposure and we'd be here all the same.

Unimportant? Well that's an insult, for sure. Especially when someone just lost their life. But it's probably unwise to vocally contest him. Instead, I stop and think of what I should ask. But only one question? That's hardly fair. There was a veritable mountain of them in my mind!

Everything about today was an enigma. And much of it fell into the realm of the supernatural.

For example, this writing is supernaturally bad.

He can't expect me to find closure from one question. Unless that was the point...The ability to bend the reality to my will...? He's testing me. There had to be a way to get all of the answers. And still adhere to his rule of one question. If this power was true, I could easily accomplish that.

Here's the part where I'm almost certain Klace was playing through Undertale and just had to incorporate its metanarrative on saves into his own game. Our power, as little as it's been explained, is evidently the ability to rewind time and go back to an earlier state, which the game expects us to do to ask all four questions.

Where Undertale succeeds, and this game doesn't, is besides the writing quality being galaxies apart, this game doesn't really comment on you reloading at all. Like in Undertale, the game "remembers" that you reset and gives you new dialogue or events accordingly, but as far as I can tell in Major\Minor, not one single character reacts to you reloading a save.

I'll ask what the power is about, but if your curious what his answers are to the other three, here's a brief rundown:

What is the Ark? "You can't understand it."

Who are you exactly? "I'm a prisoner of the Ark, but I'm not gonna tell you my name yet.

What are The Midnight Death? "Iunno lol :v:"

So we're left asking about the supposed "power" he's given us. Buckle up, you're in for a treat.

I think it's just a case that Furry Outsider played Furry Magical Russian Roulette and Rabies happened to lose.

Where did this power come from? I don't think that question has an answer.

Then why the hell did you let me ask it?

It simply moves around from one host to another. Epoch after epoch. No one knows why. We don't know it's origins, either.

Though yes -- I am the current host. I was placed here for containment purposes. In the hope that its spread would stop. But now I'm straying off topic.

The power is...Well, let me think. I have to word my explanation carefully.

There are an infinite number of planes. Each astral plane has many things...It can have similar worlds, or different.

I might have mentioned offhand that this game also incidentally rips off Johnny Five-Aces, but ho-ly poo poo you haven't seen anything yet.

You could call them parallel realities. So yes -- there is more than one Earth. Each having differences, small and large.

Isn't Earth supposed to be not linked to the rest of the worlds or some poo poo?

As well as there being multiple Arks. Even though it shares Earth's physical spot.

I am so lost...

For once I'm not really gonna hound on Rabies for not understanding something. I doubt even Klace knows out this works.

Before we continue, I'd like to preface the next part. I did not photoshop or edit the following sequence in any way, and am presenting it as it happens in-game.

Yes, Klace is using clipart to explain his crazy plot.

They both share the same physical spot. But they exist on different astral planes. They cannot see or interact with each other.

Holy hell, Klace couldn't even bother to get rid of the white border around the little No symbol.

BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!

Each version of the Earth is different...In either very small or very large ways. This can be as minor as what you've eaten...or as large as the governing superpower.

The power I have given to you...It doesn't really "alter" reality. You can travel to the world you desire. Some would call you a slider. You can navigate this layer in many ways. Where others are stuck -- you are free.

A slider...?

And that is why the power is so dangerous. You could repeatedly destroy worlds. It can throw the universe into disarray.

Again, I swear to God in Heaven that I'm not tampering with these images in any way.

Of course, you only have a fraction of this. I was unable to give you my full power.

But now that you're in the Ark? You've broken into another astral plane. There are even more realities to play with. But you're wondering why I chose -you-. As the power grew within me, it evolved. Or perhaps I achieved a greater prowess...

It beckoned to be "gifted" to other people. But not just any other person. I had to choose -very- carefully.

For a moment -- let us lesson our scope. We will focus on only your Earth layer. Push aside everything I have just said.

Is there an agency I can report Klace to for dash abuse?

The universe is vast. A large galactic community is at play. There are many trade routes between worlds.

And now I guess we're ripping off Star Trek?

Many planets open themselves to immigration. Many planets are hostile. Many planets are friendly.

But the heart of the matter is this: Every planet is connected in some way.

Except for Earth. You inhabit an "untouched" planet.

The way 'untouched' is in quotations makes me very uncomfortable.

I hope this doesn't offend you...But if you were to go rogue with the power? Only Earth would suffer. Only that layer.

So much for Rabies' campaign to wipe clean the slate of life in the universe.

I had to choose a resident of Earth. It would contain any possible damage. Kind of like The Ark does for me.

A resident of any other planet...? Well, the damage would be substantial. So Earth is lucky in that regard. But it is also special in its loneliness.

Klace, it's probably not the best idea to admit to the reader that even you don't know what's going on.

If you chose Rabies, you have questionable standards! :v:

I hope that you can master this power. Many words [sic] will want to seek your aid. We can cave them -- and their realities. We can guide them away from disaster. Guide them towards the "true history".

This guy could have refused to say anything and we'd actually have learned more than that pointless infodump he just dropped on us.

What truth? His explanation made no drat sense. If anything he only got vaguer!

The reason why I brought you to the Ark? It's quite simple, really...

Another world wants to take you. By means of an ominous ritual. They've been trying to summon you for days.

How is a ritual ominous? Unless of course they're just reciting the Steam store page of this game, which is enough to fill anyone with existential dread.

Why can't you just let me purge? :black101:

Just kill them? You're basically a god from what you've told us.

I didn't want them to take you. At least, not until I knew why. Does this make sense to you at all?

Barely...

Rabies McFutts, Savior of Worlds everybody.

Good.

Another theme that's going to be running throughout this game is that nobody is very good at their jobs. This guy has apparently let the universe burn down once before, and you'll see what I mean with Konrad and Endymion. Don't worry, there's others, but I want them to be a surprise.

That makes more sense. He takes a loot at his surroundings. I see a hint of regret and remorse on his face. Jade would be in heaven right now at all of this stuff!

But the more I interrupt their ritual. The more I realize I'll never know...I can't figure out why they want you.

So, this time? I'll let them succeed. I wanted to keep you on Earth. For observation purposes, of course. But now that will not be possible.

Many worlds are going to want you. Your power can save them or destroy them. You'll be caught up in many affairs...We must hope they seek your power for good. Many would use it to nefarious ends.

Perhaps after helping this world; We can do good for other worlds as well.

Let the record state that I'm still on board for Rabies to burn the earth, salt the earth, then salt the salt.

Wait! He's sending me to another world? Just like that? That's not right!

Am I even able to survive on another planet? His explanation only puts more questions in my head!

Do not worry. I'll still watch over you. If anything traumatic happens, just relax. I'll bring you back in the face of danger. Remember, that you are cared for. I will not let any harm befall you. I consider you a ray of hope. My agent of fate.

What exactly has Rabies done to make him at all trustworthy? About our only demonstrated power is to attract the worst kind of people.

This is probably just me, but if I was an immortal omnipotent entity, I'd whisk people away by headbutting them.

Rabies starting to sound like a panicked XCOM Rookie here.

I'm finally pushed over the edge, and start to panic.

Klace was dead...I was cursed with a power I didn't ask for. A power that could either save or destroy worlds!

This was--

Before I could continue, my entire body feels pain. Like the first time I was here, on a much larger scale.

Why does Rabies have breathing exercises? Did I miss some part of the story where it's established he suffers from migraines and panic attacks? :psyduck:

How does the writer keep finding new ways to write this terribly? A level less than molecular? Why the gently caress not just say 'torn apart at the atomic level'?

Terra, here we come! :suicide:

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I swear this guy made a better Randomly Chosen One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HseAXv2wAiE

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I've never seen so much written amount to so little.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Blarghalt suggested poorly-cropped hyena in a suit for Furry Outsider.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Klace is dead, Furry Outsider is back, and we're getting clip art explanations of Zybourne Clock type concepts.

This last update was way better than that slog through the Tokyo arcade.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course I can't help but appreciate every time the text says so-and-so looks at you with a horror-stricken expression or tears streaming down his face or something, while according to the art he's going :iamafag: or ;-*

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I just noticed the cog pendant Furry Outsider is wearing. Also that his muzzle is twisting at an angle while the rest of his face isn't

Grizzwold posted:

I'll be honest, I'm only really reading the OP's commentary in the updates and the thread reactions. It makes things much more bearable.

I have been trying to follow the actual in-game writing but it is just so much to say so little that my eyes end up sliding off it and ignoring it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Black Mage Knight posted:

I have been trying to follow the actual in-game writing but it is just so much to say so little that my eyes end up sliding off it and ignoring it.

That's a defense mechanism, don't fight it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I made a crappy attempt to rewrite this shitpile of a scene. I don't know why. I guess it's my way of finding catharsis.

Figured it would work better if Furry Stranger was panicked and stressed out, more Kyle Reese than Morpheus.

quote:

Listen: there are endless worlds out there. My world. Your world. An infinity of others. Some like ours; others with -- with *terrible* things.

And across all these worlds, to some people, the universe gives a power. Nobody knows where it comes from. Nobody knows why it picks them. But these people can move between worlds, any world, as easy as snapping a finger.

I have this power. It's how you got here. And you have it too.

So what? I'm some sort of god now?

His tension vanishes for a second as he chuckles, grimly.

Sure, I guess you could put it like that. You can bend spacetime. You can destroy worlds, or save them. I guess that qualifies.

Now pay attention. You're only now finding out about this power you have. But I've known about you for some time. I sensed you. And I'm not the only one.

There are going to be people who'll try to *use* you -- try to manipulate you into using your power for their own ends.

You *cannot* let that happen. When a power like ours is misused, the consequences can be catastrophic. I've ... seen it before. I won't again.

There's a world that's trying to summon you right now. They've been using some sort of ritual to pull you across the barrier.

I've tried to stop these people -- tried to learn more about them, find out who they are, what they want. Tried to stall them. I've sent others in your place, but they keep zeroing in on you, getting closer --

What the hell do you mean, "sent others in my place"? What did you do?

Wait a minute -- the Midnight Murders. Is that you? Do you have something to do with that?

The what? No. LISTEN TO ME! We're running out of time! They could be trying again right now, don't you understand?

I start to feel lightheaded. Am I dizzy from the flood of information? Or is it something else?

This may be my last chance to warn you. I can't leave this place, and I don't know how much help I can give.

I'll do what I can, but wherever they're trying to bring you, when you get there, it's going to be up to *you*. Do you understand?

There's a sense of vertigo. The ground feels like it's dropping away, like I'm becoming detached from the world. Something's pulling at me.

He doesn't seem to notice.

Don't trust anybody. Be careful not to overuse your power.

And above all, *whatever* you do, remember --

Whatever he says next is lost as the world wrenches around me. This isn't like how it felt coming to this place. This is crude, forceful.

Painful.

The last thing I see is his face turning to shock as he realizes what's happening.

And I'm gone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You gave Rabies dialogue and a personality, that's a cardinal sin

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So...

what, exactly, have we accomplished?
E:Other than making a She-Garfield cry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So...

Klace is dead, that's a positive.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Not a goddamned thing.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Night10194 posted:

Klace is dead, that's a positive.

Yeah but we didn't do that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're in shock.

The bad writing has given you whiplash, and the concussion has made you delirious.

This game seems like a very compelling argument for nihilism because nothing that happens in the main character's vicinity will ever matter.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I don't care what happens to these people.

I mean, contrast this with P4, where early on you're also faced with the murder of a character you barely knew. So instead P4 gave you another character, Yosuke, who cared about the victim a great deal, and you become invested in Saki's death because you know it matters to him.

Furry Panic here expects you to care about Klace because he's the developer's author avatar, I mean how could you not be all broken up about his death.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Come now, dont tell me it didn't bring a tear to your eye when you saw how devastating this news was to our good buddy Kila.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh no
Klace the super popular super idol is dead
And you should care so so much
You actually care so much that im going to make your PC care for you

Such a tragedy has befallen this furry world, oh the animality of it all

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Do not mock the royal attire of Immortal God-King Velasquez, Municipal Fuhrer, Autocrat of All Borroughs!

Man, the King of Town has REALLY gone off the rails.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think you mean "Autocrat of All Burrows"

:ironicat:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no
Klace the super popular super idol is dead
And you should care so so much
You actually care so much that im going to make your PC care for you

Such a tragedy has befallen this furry world, oh the animality of it all

B-but our protagonist's all expenses paid trip to Tokyo may be cut short! :ohdear:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've said this in the context of ~other fictional properties~, but I think it would be fun to see a story from the POV of someone who is not the Chosen One, but who is his friend or something.

Kila should be the one dealing with Furry Outsider and we should be trying to solve a whodunit in Tokyo is what I'm saying

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Data Graham posted:

I've said this in the context of ~other fictional properties~, but I think it would be fun to see a story from the POV of someone who is not the Chosen One, but who is his friend or something.

Kila should be the one dealing with Furry Outsider killed and we should be trying to solve a whodunit in Tokyo leave this terrible world is what I'm saying

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

After 10 updates (12 if you include the crying garfield cafe), we're still in the first chapter, a shitton of words have been vomited out at us, and absolutely nothing of any real consequence has happened, other than Klace (the self-insert) is dead, and we're being sent to some lovely world.

This story seriously needs an editor. A good 90% of this could be shortened by a lot or cut entirely.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I wouldn't expect it to be this soon, but does the title get explained at any point?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

I wouldn't expect it to be this soon, but does the title get explained at any point?

Nope! :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A part of me wants to say that there's no way an author would have spent so much effort on Rook, Kila, and... and bird-girl to simply drop them here, but then again I shouldn't put it past Klace to put so much effort into being utterly loving pointless.

But still, it looks like the plot takes place with Tiger Trump and God King Velasquez so why not start the plot there? What have we learned in Tokyo that actually matters?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Seyser Koze posted:

I think you mean "Autocrat of All Burrows"

:ironicat:

Is there a term for when you chuckle and wince at the same time because that's what I did there.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Blarghalt posted:

Can I just point out how Kila's tail doesn't even remotely look like one? It's just a vortex of blue fur.

I'm a children's' book illustrator who specializes in animals, and my professional opinion is that every single character design in this thing is a loving disaster. I might do an effort post about the specific reasons why they're disastrous later (besides the obvious, "look at this poo poo"), but for now good God-drat these tails! I look at Kila's floof tornado and my eyes water. Learn anatomy!

As far as the lovely writing and story, I can't be the only one having flashbacks of Twisted. I'm linking to the Let's Read thread because it was a hell of an experience to be in on the ground floor for. I also cannot, in good conscious, make anyone read it without the commentary. See, Twisted is the tale of a man who learns he's really the chosen one of another world destined to return there, shed his lousy human disguise and transform back into a badass red dragon roller-coaster train with all kinds of rear end-pull powers and a cool leather coat and magic sword, defeat his evil counterpart, and save the universe. So far Major/Minor is starting to give it serious competition in the :magical: department.

E:

Night10194 posted:

This is actually still less awful than Twisted so far just because there's less enormous murdering being done by the ostensible protagonist.

I was going to agree with you but then remembered that we don't know who/what is responsible for the Spooky Midnight Deaths yet! (Though there's pretty much no doubt that lovely Mentor Hyena is behind them, right?)

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 15, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is actually still less awful than Twisted so far just because there's less enormous murdering being done by the ostensible protagonist.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Rahonavis posted:

I'm a children's' book illustrator who specializes in animals, and my professional opinion is that every single character design in this thing is a loving disaster. I might do an effort post about the specific reasons why they're disastrous later (besides the obvious, "look at this poo poo"), but for now good God-drat these tails! I look at Kila's floof tornado and my eyes water. Learn anatomy!

As far as the lovely writing and story, I can't be the only one having flashbacks of Twisted. I'm linking to the Let's Read thread because it was a hell of an experience to be in on the ground floor for. I also cannot, in good conscious, make anyone read it without the commentary. See, Twisted is the tale of a man who learns he's really the chosen one of another world destined to return there, shed his lousy human disguise and transform back into a badass red dragon roller-coaster train with all kinds of rear end-pull powers and a cool leather coat and magic sword, defeat his evil counterpart, and save the universe. So far Major/Minor is starting to give it serious competition in the :magical: department.

I had completely forgotten about Twisted, nor did I recognize the name until you mentioned the roller-coaster dragon. Thanks for digging up memories of that abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I never read the Twisted thread, but I do remember Heroes Rise, the thread that lead to it.

I still can't believe that game just devolved into a superhero sex fantasy and that the Choice of Games folks actually chose to publish it.

• Locked thread