Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

flosofl posted:

Isn't he doing ClearQAM channels on a cable?

But that aside, I've think I've had to reload my HDHR maybe twice in the last year or so. Make sure you've got the latest firmware loaded.

Yes, I am. Not OTA.

It gets more curious. I uninstalled the plex plugin, and I couldn't get it all to work so I uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest (non-beta) firmware and it still wasn't working. Did a rescan, and now it's working WITH channel names and new channel numbers... Like exactly where I need it.

Now I need to convince the wife that we need an Apple TV more than repairing our garage door which spring broke last night in the cold.

So.... maybe I'll play with Kodi and the Homerun plugin on the FTV for the time being...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought an attic antenna and tested it this morning. My towers are 30 miles away and I still picked up 120 channels in rock solid signal quality

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I just bought an attic antenna and tested it this morning. My towers are 30 miles away and I still picked up 120 channels in rock solid signal quality
162 channels, sucka

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Has DirecTV Now poo poo the bed again tonight? AppleTV nor Fire Stick (molasses gen 1) won't load a thing. Restarted everything, doesn't work. Won't even load the guide, just black space with "All Channels" and "Favorite Channels" listed at the left. Nothing else.

Nice.

Edit: yep, swiping up reveals "Sorry! The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later"

Keep it up shitlords, my $35 is on the line...tick tock :newlol:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 14, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
There is a thread bubbling on Reddit at /r/directvnow that is reporting the same thing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Honestly whenever a new service launches, you should just expect it's going to be on fire for 2-4 weeks. Works well for me!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

162 channels, sucka

Wow. I get roughly 25-30 channels, and I have an amplifier. I'd think about changing the antenna, but it was a huge pain to mount it outside in the first place. One time I ran a scan and picked up New Orleans channels, and there were a lot more subchannels that I never heard of before.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Wow. I get roughly 25-30 channels, and I have an amplifier. I'd think about changing the antenna, but it was a huge pain to mount it outside in the first place. One time I ran a scan and picked up New Orleans channels, and there were a lot more subchannels that I never heard of before.

Depends on your market and how close you are to the source. And of course the landscape you need to contend with, manmade or natural. The higher up your antenna is, the more surface area you have the better, and the more directly the antenna is pointed to the source, the better chance you have of pulling a signal. Amplifiers can help, but it amplifies everything, so the noise floor is raised with the signal. So if the SNR was too low to begin with, amplification doesn't help as much. Usually SNR is good enough that amplification can make a real difference.

This mounted on a mast on your roof and aimed at broadcast sources

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Digital-Outdoor-Antenna-Foldable/dp/B01ET7BGDY

will always be a better solution than this in a window that best faces the right direction

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAW1Y75

I'm about 20 miles as the crow flies out of Chicago and I get about 28 broadcasters with around 70ish channels with one of those little flat antennas on my window. I've thought about getting a mast antenna to put on the roof, but I'm lazy and don't feel like running wire up there.

EDIT: I wanted to link to a site I know I used years ago that, given your street address, would tell the exact angle off of magnetic north the broadcasters in your area are relative to your address. But I can't find it anymore.

EDIT2: My Google-Fu was weak. Here it is: https://www.antennaweb.org

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 14, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I get 19 channels, 39 before I filter out the Jesus channels, shopping channels, and duplicates meant for outlying areas. I'm in a midiszed metro - the kind that tries and fails to get a pro sports team every decade or so.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I get like 9 OTA. My closest ABC tower is 97 miles away so I'll probably never have OTA ABC.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

flosofl posted:

Isn't he doing ClearQAM channels on a cable?

But that aside, I've think I've had to reload my HDHR maybe twice in the last year or so. Make sure you've got the latest firmware loaded.

Ah. Well, then don't be welcomed to OTA :)

It's worth noting that Clear QAM isn't exactly "OTA without the A" though. It can have its own problems and what is worse those are almost always specific to your regional provider, which thanks to Cable franchising in the US is often a total shitshow. Could be hard to troubleshoot (I guarantee the cable franchise, who often don't even care much about paying customers, isn't going to give two shits about how well Clear QAM works beyond "wait, we aren't encrypting that yet?").

I.e. this could be a tough one. If you are lucky a reboot and/or update will fix things. I wouldn't get too attached to Clear QAM though; it's going to fade out like CableCard will over the years. Fortunately OTA will still continue to be a thing for probably our lifetimes, although whether everyone gears up and goes through the same process they went through in the 90's for 1080i to support 4k in the future is anyone's guess.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Correction, looks like I'm up to 172 now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ixian posted:

Ah. Well, then don't be welcomed to OTA :)

It's worth noting that Clear QAM isn't exactly "OTA without the A" though. It can have its own problems and what is worse those are almost always specific to your regional provider, which thanks to Cable franchising in the US is often a total shitshow. Could be hard to troubleshoot (I guarantee the cable franchise, who often don't even care much about paying customers, isn't going to give two shits about how well Clear QAM works beyond "wait, we aren't encrypting that yet?").

I.e. this could be a tough one. If you are lucky a reboot and/or update will fix things. I wouldn't get too attached to Clear QAM though; it's going to fade out like CableCard will over the years. Fortunately OTA will still continue to be a thing for probably our lifetimes, although whether everyone gears up and goes through the same process they went through in the 90's for 1080i to support 4k in the future is anyone's guess.

I'm not getting attached but will ride it out for as long as I can. OTA only interests me so far as beyond ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX I don't believe any of the other channels provide any value. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I get Spanish,Chinese,Vietnamese, and Indian language stations. One of the Spanish stations plays a bunch of lucha libre, and my TiVo dutifully records and suggests it to me every single time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The only tower that I can access that isn't obscured by multiple masses of land (re: Seattle hills) is across a large bay and only gives me FOX. There is no reason for me to get an antenna. Thanks thread.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I'm not getting attached but will ride it out for as long as I can. OTA only interests me so far as beyond ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX I don't believe any of the other channels provide any value. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Value is in the eye of the beholder but you are generally correct. The 4 major networks and their mostly-useless subchannels, PBS, and depending on where you are and your antenna, superstations like WGN (which carries the WOW channel and others - classic sitcoms, mostly) and The CW (which is carried by many regional affilates OTA) are going to be your options. Particularly when it comes to HD broadcasts. There's also a ton of Spanish programming if you are in to that.

Broadly speaking, in the US when we talk about cord-cutting and OTA we mean getting solid signal from the 4 majors + PBS because having those completes the offerings from streaming providers, where even if they do carry the 3 letters are generally limited in one form or another. Plus you get local news and more sports that way.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ixian posted:

Value is in the eye of the beholder but you are generally correct. The 4 major networks and their mostly-useless subchannels, PBS, and depending on where you are and your antenna, superstations like WGN (which carries the WOW channel and others - classic sitcoms, mostly) and The CW (which is carried by many regional affilates OTA) are going to be your options. Particularly when it comes to HD broadcasts. There's also a ton of Spanish programming if you are in to that.

Broadly speaking, in the US when we talk about cord-cutting and OTA we mean getting solid signal from the 4 majors + PBS because having those completes the offerings from streaming providers, where even if they do carry the 3 letters are generally limited in one form or another. Plus you get local news and more sports that way.

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense. Can get your Sunday football and either purchase TV shows not on Netflix or get Vue, DTVN, or Sling. I had a hard wrapping my head around getting excited for 124 OTA stations. But I've also migrated away from channel surfing so I know which channels I need live and when.

tngffl
May 6, 2008
Is there a general consensus of best indoor antenna? I have been poking around with cutting the cord and went out and picked up the eclipse indoor 50 mile amped antenna. I got amped due to others in my area struggling to get CBS (I am in northwest Indiana). With this I am still struggling to get CBS. It has detected 61 channels. Would something like the mohu leaf 50 mile work better?

This is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dir...1WGGMDE2M0NXTCP

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense. Can get your Sunday football and either purchase TV shows not on Netflix or get Vue, DTVN, or Sling. I had a hard wrapping my head around getting excited for 124 OTA stations. But I've also migrated away from channel surfing so I know which channels I need live and when.

Sports are tricky, particularly US Football. Generally, if you get your local affiliates, you'll get your local team games, subject to blackouts/etc. (which is rare for football but apparently still a thing for some baseball and hockey teams). Plus whatever else one of the 3-letters has negotiated, like Monday Night Football, etc.

For even more sports, as well as all of the big non-broadcast channels (like TNT, CNN, USA, AMC, etc. etc.) you'll need to go the streaming route. There's lots of discussion in this thread on which offers what but when it comes down to channels they can be, as Scott2k likes to say, ephemeral - deals expire, producers play games of brinkmanship with providers, etc. Viacom for example is doing that right now with Vue. So there's no guarantees but generally speaking you can get a lot of the decent non-OTA channels through Vue, Sling, or DTV Now, plus some region sports networks like SEC, and ESPN for more national sports coverage.

New-media providers like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. are in a different category since you can get them independently anyway no matter if you have a cable/satellite sub or not. It's difficult to impossible to completely replicate existing cable/satellite service by going OTA + streaming. There are going to be channels you simply can't get, or are limited in some form.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tngffl posted:

Is there a general consensus of best indoor antenna? I have been poking around with cutting the cord and went out and picked up the eclipse indoor 50 mile amped antenna. I got amped due to others in my area struggling to get CBS (I am in northwest Indiana). With this I am still struggling to get CBS. It has detected 61 channels. Would something like the mohu leaf 50 mile work better?

This is the one I got.

It might, but it might be just a lovely/noisy signal from CBS.

CBS out of Chicago is the worst (if that's who you're going for). They have the weakest signal out of all the transmitters. I'm about 20-23 miles from the major network transmitters (they're all concentrated downtown) and the back wall of my house is almost due west (I'm about 5% off). Every station rocks a solid signal *but* CBS unless I put the leaf antenna on the window, and even then I still get interrupted broadcasts. I'm starting to think there's a skyscraper in the way or something.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ixian posted:

It's difficult to impossible to completely replicate existing cable/satellite service by going OTA + streaming.

Honestly my experience has gone way up since I cord cut. Had I known I would enjoy watching TV better than before I would have done it sooner and not for the cost savings. Sure cable/satellite gives you an easy to use package but man, I hardly ever watch a commercial anymore and having everything essentially on demand is just way better than a DVR IMHO. My only bitch is that Jeopardy doesn't have any content online. That's why I'm looking at that HDHomerun thing. Now that I've got my antenna worked out I get all of my football between that and the ESPN app which was my biggest concern.

Please someone correct me on the Jeopardy thing. I'd love to get it without spending any more cash on a device that is evolving so quickly it's probably best to wait a year or two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ixian posted:

Sports are tricky

Sports are specifically designed to spread content across as many channels as possible to collect as much money on carriage agreements as possible. It's a huge racket.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Syndicated shows like Jeopardy tend not to put their actual content on the web. Their business model is a little different than traditional TV. The episodes have a short shelf life and they're not trying to give you a reason not to watch it on your local station, who is their customer.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Zero One posted:

I got a indoor 35 mile rated antenna a few weeks ago (Amazon had a sale). It works pretty well but I had to put it in my window to pickup the most of the major channels since I guess they are just a little too weak around me.

Would I be more likely to get a better result if a bought a 50 mile rated antenna or is my house location/construction going to limit my results no matter the antenna size?

edit: My house is about 25 miles from the broadcast antennas.

edit2: Maybe an attic antenna pointing at the source (they are all pretty much the same direction from me). I'd have to see if there is a good place to mount it in there and figure out how to run cable to my TV.
From my experience with that distance, an outdoor antenna is way better than an indoor antenna.

We're about 35 miles from our towers too and the indoor was just too finicky with placement. And since our TV isn't near a window, it wasn't inconspicuous.

Our outdoor antenna is good but I didn't place it high enough (only about 12ft high) so under some weather conditions channel reception isn't great. Come spring I'm going to raise it and probably add an amplifier. I might even test in the attic for a week.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TraderStav posted:

I think if you are getting 100+ channels OTA some are going to be overlaps (like multiple NBCs).

I tried moving my little antenna around last night. Moving it higher have me a much better signal for CBS, NBC, and FOX but a much worse (to the point of no signal) ABC. Very annoying. In Orlando all those antennas are in the same general place.

I might try a better antenna at some point.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 14, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Syndicated shows like Jeopardy tend not to put their actual content on the web. Their business model is a little different than traditional TV. The episodes have a short shelf life and they're not trying to give you a reason not to watch it on your local station, who is their customer.

That said, to his question, if he has an OTA solution he'll be able to get stuff like Jeopardy. As you say it is local TV's bread and butter, along with soap operas and (less so) local news. And they have carriage agreements with their corporate network overlords so a certain amount of local sports gets broadcast through them as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tngffl posted:

This is the one I got.

flosofl posted:

It might, but it might be just a lovely/noisy signal from CBS.

CBS out of Chicago is the worst (if that's who you're going for). They have the weakest signal out of all the transmitters. I'm about 20-23 miles from the major network transmitters (they're all concentrated downtown) and the back wall of my house is almost due west (I'm about 5% off). Every station rocks a solid signal *but* CBS unless I put the leaf antenna on the window, and even then I still get interrupted broadcasts. I'm starting to think there's a skyscraper in the way or something.

Welcome to attempting to get CBS turned in around the Chicago area 101. CBS Chicago (WBBM), while they have a UHF repeater that's super low powered, is one of only (I think) three two broadcasters still mainly using VHF to broadcast. VHF is terrible at penetrating walls/floors so the only way you can get it is really an attic or roof antenna. Enjoy!

Your antenna may pick up CBS Chicago but you'll need it as high and as close to outside as possible.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ixian posted:

That said, to his question, if he has an OTA solution he'll be able to get stuff like Jeopardy. As you say it is local TV's bread and butter, along with soap operas and (less so) local news. And they have carriage agreements with their corporate network overlords so a certain amount of local sports gets broadcast through them as well.

Yeah I do I'm just not one to sit down and watch TV at a given set time. That's why I was hoping for a streaming solution rather than buying an HDHomerun.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm so glad NYC is pretty decent for an antenna, even on the 4th floor of a 16 story tower surrounded by similar or taller buildings.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

I'm so glad NYC is pretty decent for an antenna, even on the 4th floor of a 16 story tower surrounded by similar or taller buildings.

I live in Jersey near NYC and I got about ten or fifteen channels of NYC traffic camera feeds.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Correction, looks like I'm up to 172 now.

I'm genuinely curious as to what all those channels are. How many ABCs? NBCs? Grit? Laff?

172 channels of OTA channels/subchannels is crazy, even if there is overlap from other cities.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what all those channels are. How many ABCs? NBCs? Grit? Laff?
It's mostly foreign language channels, I think. The notable repeats that I can think of are multiple QVC/HSN channels. Otherwise I don't think the major networks have repeats beyond HD and SD versions.

I'll take a picture of the screen that lets me hide channels (lists everything) tonight.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
DirecTV Now isn't a available provider for the ABC app on Apple TV. But it is on ABC's iOS app which I can then use to cast to my Apple TV.

:psyduck:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero One posted:

DirecTV Now isn't a available provider for the ABC app on Apple TV. But it is on ABC's iOS app which I can then use to cast to my Apple TV.

:psyduck:

Yep. They really hosed up their licensing deals.

No live NBC at all on TV connected devices either.

This poo poo is starting to escape online forums now and getting reported in the media now (well, at least on Ars)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/atts-directv-now-plagued-with-outages-and-sports-blackouts/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think you must have missed the nonstop parade of "DirecTV Now is poo poo" articles on day 2 of the launch.

I'll give them my 90 days and if they don't improve then I'm jumping to Vue.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Exactly the same for me. I was really pleased with how Vue worked, lack of Viacom is really an issue for Southpark (big deal) and my kiddos Nick stuff, but he has his iPad with some Nick apps already and Youtube/Youtube Kids has a lot of that anyway.

It will suck not being able to get all the Vue stuff I want for the $35 price, but $60ish is better than the $120 I pay now at DirecTV.

And I really like how Vue did online DVR.

If DTVN can add more VOD content, actually make the 72 hour rewind work on all channels and mirror or be better than Vue on DVR services then they will have a winner!

Edit=Just checked Vue to get the pricing again, they are doing a sale on the Ultra package, $55 until Jan 5.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man the channels app is loving great.

Also the PS4 sees the HDHomeRun as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's mostly foreign language channels, I think. The notable repeats that I can think of are multiple QVC/HSN channels. Otherwise I don't think the major networks have repeats beyond HD and SD versions.

I'll take a picture of the screen that lets me hide channels (lists everything) tonight.
Delayed update:

All of those channel 63 sub-channels are actually distinct despite having the same name. There really are very few repeats, and I don't think any are overlaps from other cities. It's all LA stuff, since I don't think I can get San Diego here. I don't actually care to receive this many channels, but I use it as a crude benchmark when evaluating different antenna performance and placement for my apartment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh yeah... LA probably has a few more channels than most markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Delayed update:

All of those channel 63 sub-channels are actually distinct despite having the same name. There really are very few repeats, and I don't think any are overlaps from other cities. It's all LA stuff, since I don't think I can get San Diego here. I don't actually care to receive this many channels, but I use it as a crude benchmark when evaluating different antenna performance and placement for my apartment.

Great googly moogly. You really don't need cable at all with all those free OTA channels. That's impressive.