Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so close to the touchdown...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

This snowball mode is the worst thing ever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Odobenidae posted:

This snowball mode is the worst thing ever.

It's definitely no Junkenstein's Revenge.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Odobenidae posted:

This snowball mode is the best thing ever.

Nothing like a 3v1 snowball clutch

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Hanamura B in mystery heroes is the worst when you keep getting two torbs, two junkrats and a symmetra while the defenders have double ana, double zarya and whatever dps. Sometimes it goes the other way around and you can just roll it so I guess it balances out overall, but it's such a lovely map/point to make people play mystery heroes on tbh, would've been cool to get kings row and a koth map.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I can barely make a push in regular solo queue quickplay Hanamura, it's never going to happen with random heroes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I still don't know how Hanamura got through with such a ridiculous chokepoint at the start given how well designed the other maps are on average.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the sad thing is that hanamura a is easier to take than b

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Trip report: attack Symmetra is still no substitute for a support that actually heals.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The payload on Kings Row is Santa's Sleigh!

I forgive Blizzard for the awful Mei Snowbrawl.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?

Manatee Cannon posted:

the sad thing is that hanamura a is easier to take than b

She never lets me take B unless she is drinking.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hopefully next year they'll do Christmas time right and realise that this time of year is hot and miserable

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
900 posts later whats diff

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After a couple more Snowbrawls I can appreciate what they were trying to do, since the one shot before reload mechanic forces some fun tactics like baiting the opponent into firing (and missing) first. Or iceblock for a second, then retaliate. Reloading makes you immobile for the duration which requires smart ice walling. You can also interrupt an opponents recharge by putting a wall on the mount of snow and chase them away.

That being said, 3 vs 3 and best of three would make it tolerable.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

verbal enema posted:

900 posts later whats diff

christmas event, symmetra changed significantly, that's about it

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

On the bright side, my first winter lootbox gave me the elf Tracer skin. Never play her but I should practice offense characters, honestly. Since I usually play tanks I'll probably by Winston's skin if I manage to get 400 gold before the event ends.

I have actually 0 minutes played on Tracer in QP (and comp, obviously), but I've kind of started to like her a bit playing mystery heroes. So I'm actually considering spending 3000 of my 4700 currency on that elf tracer if I fail to get it from boxes, because I think it's the best of these christmas skins, the rest of her skins are bad, and yes I should also try to get better with some DPS hero.

I skipped playing her for like half a year because it felt too much like an ADHD hero and was way too fast-paced for me when I got the game. But once you know the maps and the general gameplay, it starts to make more sense. Just not sure how I should bind my keys with her. Now I have blink on Q and recall on M2, but would it be better if I switched those...or something. Maybe should try the mouse wheel for blink. Tips?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolivar posted:

I have actually 0 minutes played on Tracer in QP (and comp, obviously), but I've kind of started to like her a bit playing mystery heroes. So I'm actually considering spending 3000 of my 4700 currency on that elf tracer if I fail to get it from boxes, because I think it's the best of these christmas skins, the rest of her skins are bad, and yes I should also try to get better with some DPS hero.

I skipped playing her for like half a year because it felt too much like an ADHD hero and was way too fast-paced for me when I got the game. But once you know the maps and the general gameplay, it starts to make more sense. Just not sure how I should bind my keys with her. Now I have blink on Q and recall on M2, but would it be better if I switched those...or something. Maybe should try the mouse wheel for blink. Tips?

Is there something wrong with using Shift for blink? Assuming you're using WASD movement it's in a pretty natural place for you to hit it. I mean I guess you could use mouse wheel for it too. I bought an inexpensive five-button mouse after I got Overwatch and I find it to be pretty helpful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At launch and on my old computer that barely held a stable 60 I didn't get Tracer at all. Now that I'm playing at 144Hz she is probably my favorite DPS.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Is there something wrong with using Shift for blink? Assuming you're using WASD movement it's in a pretty natural place for you to hit it. I mean I guess you could use mouse wheel for it too. I bought an inexpensive five-button mouse after I got Overwatch and I find it to be pretty helpful.

I guess nothing wrong with shift, I just re-bound those once and left it there... you're probably right. I have two side buttons on my mouse but they are for melee and push-to-talk.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolivar posted:

I guess nothing wrong with shift, I just re-bound those once and left it there... you're probably right. I have two side buttons on my mouse but they are for melee and push-to-talk.

I'm pretty boring with my setups, I have side buttons set to melee and whatever character ability isn't set to Shift, I use mousewheel for ult, and the I actually found PTT worked well set to left alt. It works as a good default setup for most characters but there were some I simply had to reconfigure past that...for some reason I could not stop loving up with Ana until I rebound her grenade to shift and sleep dart to one of the side buttons and I rebound Zenyatta's controls so that discord is right-click and charge shot is a side button.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
both of my snipers zoom in using shift and sleepdart/spidermine is M2

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kai Tave posted:

Trip report: attack Symmetra is still no substitute for a support that actually heals.

An extra 75 regenerating HP on six people might as well be a mini Lucio.

Your attack Sym isn't doing her job if the shield gen isn't up in the first minute of the match. She gets ult for free on offense because defenders can't help themselves from stacking on top of each other in the choke and eating her balls.

Well, unless you're on Gibraltar. The worst map in the game doesn't even have a choke Sym can abuse before the bridge on the final checkpoint.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Donnerberg posted:

An extra 75 regenerating HP on six people might as well be a mini Lucio.

An extra 75 health doesn't really help when the red team has a Mercy and an Ana keeping their tanks topped off and there's no one on your own team to do the same, is the problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you'd drop a dps or a tank for symmetra, not a healer imo. 3 tank/support could work. I could also see the torb/symmetra gimmick where you run them with 2 healers/tanks and give everyone 150 extra health. you wouldn't do as much damage or be as mobile tho so this isn't really viable outside of the first part of hybrid maps or 2cp. if she becomes popular enough, it could be the boost sombra needs to be more competitive at least

also the shield generator may be like a permanent mini sound barrier, but symmetra herself is not capable of healing or boosting speed so she isn't nearly as valuable as lucio

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kai Tave posted:

An extra 75 health doesn't really help when the red team has a Mercy and an Ana keeping their tanks topped off and there's no one on your own team to do the same, is the problem.

Buffer health is for diving or surviving dives. It's not going to do a whole lot if both teams are just taking pot shots.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Donnerberg posted:

Buffer health is for diving or surviving dives. It's not going to do a whole lot if both teams are just taking pot shots.

Maybe, but right now a lot more people are using comps that cheeky flankers and diving aren't as useful against, so in a lot of cases I'd actually rather have a Mercy than a Symmetra.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you'd drop a dps or a tank for symmetra, not a healer imo.

Tell that to everyone I've played with today.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Yeah I don't get why people wanna play the new thing all the time while not in a group with other people, really confuses me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Zarya's legendary emote is amazing. All three of them.

e: vvvvv gently caress youuuuuu vvvvv

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 14, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got the Zarya emote in my first box and the Roadhog skin in my second.

Is the game telling me I need to play more tanks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You should, because tanks are fun as hell.

Too bad it's kind of coinciding with the rest of playerbase also discovering this and lots of games are 3+ tanks on each team.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you are repeatedly losing games in this simple-rear end 1 shot kill snowball mode, the problem is not with the game mode

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I won that one shot gamemode on my third attempt. I think the main problem people have is that the mode is loving boring.

Like really loving boring.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

The snowbrawl is really disappointing considering how good the Junkenstein event was, once I get the loot box I pretty much won't look at it again.

As a huge fan of mystery heroes I'm sad that going to be sick of Hanamura by January since I quite liked the map before.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Snowbrawl is amazing and without 6v6 how would you get sextuple kills??

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Why didn't they just make snowballs best of 1 jesus christ.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you're losing 10 snowball fights in a row you might be part of the problem

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I won my second game. The problem isn't me, it's that it's an unfun game mode to do more than once.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been having a blast with snow mode

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The only problem with snow mode is the inherent quarter second delay making it rather difficult to actually dodge successfully.

Rainbow six siege suffers from a similar problem and it's become baked into the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
The best part of the snowball fight is when everyone starts making mei puns. The worst part is actually playing it.