Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

FFXV: Also why is Leviathan the only not-human summon? Like that's a cool idea but it sticks out all the more because of it (I'm sure the answer is because they had that design for forever).

Honestly I think it's kind of interesting and a good interpretive question to ask why they redesigned Bahamut to have human eyes behind a dragon mask rather than being a space dragon. Titan, Ramuh, Leviathan, Shiva, and Ifrit all look pretty much the same as they always do, which means they're all humanoid but Leviathan, but Bahamut is kind of a radical redesign. Is he supposed to be the first king of Lucis or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What's Stardew Valley like without mods because it's out on PS4 now
It's still really good. I have like 250 hours in it unmodded(on PC).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i played until spring year 2 unmodded and it was good. the only part i didn't like is how quickly time passes (including indoors !!)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get my roommate to finish Until Dawn, because I won't have room on my HD to install FFXV until I can delete it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Phantasium posted:

Well I've beaten FFXV now, so it's kind of crazy that there's just a moment when the budget gets turned back on, and it's almost entirely the point after that pointless reveal of Prompto being a robot or something? That was so quick and nothing it may as well not have been. Also why is Leviathan the only not-human summon? Like that's a cool idea but it sticks out all the more because of it (I'm sure the answer is because they had that design for forever). Heard people complaining about the final boss being mostly QTEs and I can kinda see it, but then there's also the two major bosses before him that are pretty bombastic and do require you to try, especially Ravus which I beat with only Gladio and Noct still alive (ran out of Phoenix Downs). More disappointed that at no point does he turn into some gigantic angel/demon.

I did laugh a bunch because I wasn't expecting that final cutscene in CG and accidentally dropped my controller trying to grab it and I hit the home button but thankfully it's just a fluff QTE and waits on you. Also I forgot I saved a few photos from when the ocean in Galdin Quay failed to load it so a bunch of glitchy pictures showed up in the ending.

Glad you finished it. It's pretty easy to fly through after Chap 10, even if 13 takes a while. I'm on a tablet so I'm not going to both discussing things that should be spoilered, but yes that was a weird story bit about Prompto that I don't understand.

Going back and watching the first trailers for FFversusXII and even once it was retired to XV, they all include the line "a fantasy based on reality." I think they hew close to this mark because the consequences of Noctis' actions have more weight than maybe the typical RPG character, even though he's communing with gods in a typical fantasy style. Once you've had time to digest the story as what may have been intended and not necessarily what was presented, I'd like to know if you thought it was good or bad. People get down on it for its lack of explanation and requiring the player to infer too much, but I'd argue that in some cases that makes more sense and they probably would have been better served by getting rid of all the cutscenes that Noctis wouldn't have been able to see. It's more frustrating to have one cutscene of the evil empire than to have none at all and only learn about it through second-hand sources as you travel.

Enjoy the post-game!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Please do not judge the contents of a movie by the marketing and trailers, they are two completely separate parts of the production. There's a reason people generally hate marketing teams.

Having not seen the movie, it sounds pretty lame for the people who just wanted to see some cool robots kick rear end rather than cool robots getting their rear end kicked

Was the pacific rim game any good cause I can imagine a fun versus fighter being made out of that property but I've never heard anything about the actual licensed game, what it is and stuff

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Titanfall 2, The Witcher 3 B&W, Doom, Mafia 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'll probably finish none and play more Bloodborne instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Having not seen the movie, it sounds pretty lame for the people who just wanted to see some cool robots kick rear end rather than cool robots getting their rear end kicked

Was the pacific rim game any good cause I can imagine a fun versus fighter being made out of that property but I've never heard anything about the actual licensed game, what it is and stuff

The movie is really fun. You should watch it.

I heard that the game was not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dead Space 1, Shantae, and the Dishonored 1 DLC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Trying to finish all the mainline Resi games before 7 comes out, I've only got 5 to go but I'm playing with someone who I have to co-ordinate time zones with so it's going a bit slow.
I might try and do the two Revelations too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

The cool robots do kick arse, they just suffer some setbacks along the way. It's no different to every other movie where things go wrong for the good guys part way through (ie every other movie).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My own list is Shovel Knight, Plague of Shadows, The Twilight Princess amiibo cave, and Minish Cap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Pacific Rim game is really loving bad, don't play it.
Rise of the Robots is better than that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm real close to finishing the main story in Pokemon Moon. I'm like currently standing outside the Pokemon League area.
I'm also pretty likely to finish the story in Dragon Ball Fusions by then, too.

Other things in my backlog will last me well into the new year, including, at this point, the remaining ~60% of Metal Gear Solid V, probably like 70% remaining in Witcher 3 (I'm about to depart for Skellige), and the entirety of Just Cause 3, along with whatever else I get distracted into, because my attention span for video games is notoriously fickle.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just got my code for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero on Wii U yesterday so going through that should be easy. I also started Grim Fandango last Sunday and have been enjoying it for the most part, though I get the feeling I'll have to resort to a guide for the more obtuse parts

Maybe I'll see if I can finish my replay of Bayonetta and get in my annual playthrough of Kid Icarus: Uprising before the year is over too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Pillars of Eternity. Although I'm actually trying to finish it by Sunday because I'm going to be flying out for vacation on Monday. It's, uh, probably not going to happen, sadly, but PoE is the kind of game you can put down and pick back up so I'm not too worried about it. I'm close to the end of the critical path of the main game, but I'm barely into White March 2 yet, and I don't really want to rush it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm like 10 hours into FF15 now and I'm pretty dang impressed. Except for the parts where they obviously expect you to watch kingsglaive or whatever lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Every mega man game ever. I finished 1-10 and now in on the X series. X2 is cool but I guess I permanently missed some bosses because they disappeared from my nap

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm like 10 hours into FF15 now and I'm pretty dang impressed. Except for the parts where they obviously expect you to watch kingsglaive or whatever lol

Wait til you get to the later chapters and the cracks really start showing. I enjoyed it mostly but holy hell its a miracle that game even got finished.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like there are probably a lot of mega man games not worth playing

e: there was a pretty ok street fighter/mega man fan game or something a few years ago that I remember being kinda fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

It seems like there are probably a lot of mega man games not worth playing

e: there was a pretty ok street fighter/mega man fan game or something a few years ago that I remember being kinda fun

I've heard the X series post-SNES is largely awful, i have no qualms just dropping a game if it sucks. But I'd like to at least see them all. My bar to clear I "better than Mega Man 7" which, if the X games get worse than that, wow

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Every mega man game ever. I finished 1-10 and now in on the X series. X2 is cool but I guess I permanently missed some bosses because they disappeared from my nap
This is a major reason why I've never been able to replay X2. X1 I can play again in my sleep, but with X2 I always get to the part where the X Hunters show up and get frustrated when I can't beat them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I've heard the X series post-SNES is largely awful, i have no qualms just dropping a game if it sucks. But I'd like to at least see them all. My bar to clear I "better than Mega Man 7" which, if the X games get worse than that, wow

They do

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It will only be possible to finish the Mission Master Mode of Soulcalibur before the year ends and the remaining levels are very hard so I may not accomplish this.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dragon Quest Builders, PokeMoon, Downwell

And yet I just keep coming back to Let It Die, which I'm almost certain I'll never finish. Looks like 2017 is going to be another Year of the Backlog.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

In Training posted:

My bar to clear I "better than Mega Man 7" which, if the X games get worse than that, wow

:unsmigghh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember renting X7(? PS2 one anyway), it was the only MM game I'd played since X1 on the SNES and wow it was so awful I started wondering if they were all that bad and I only had fond memories of the first one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember renting X7(? PS2 one anyway), it was the only MM game I'd played since X1 on the SNES and wow it was so awful I started wondering if they were all that bad and I only had fond memories of the first one.

No worries, X1 is an awesome game. THe air dash is X2 is a great addition but really they should complete the circle and let me dash + jump and then air dash again. Really get this movement cookin.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

No worries, X1 is an awesome game. THe air dash is X2 is a great addition but really they should complete the circle and let me dash + jump and then air dash again. Really get this movement cookin.

Thats mighty no. 9

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I actually thought the movement in mighty no. 9 was pretty fun for the 30 mins I played it (but I've only played like 3 mega man games so I have nothing to compare it to)

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Find a way to play Robot Alchemic Drive on the PS2, if you haven't already. Easily one of the best giant robot games ever made.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's no way I'm gonna be able to play it but that's ok.

I'm usually not big into Mecha stuff anyway. There are exceptions but whatevs. Big O, Xenosaga 1, Front Mission, G Gundam, and probably not fair to count that last one since I barely even watched that show, I just liked the eps I caught.

I dunno if I'd like pacific rim. Even if it is a good movie, I generally don't watch a lot of movies or tv or anything like that. I usually don't do stuff like that unless I'm watching with a group and even then I'll eventually get bored and switch over to something else unless it's something I really really really wanna see.

e: Would transformers count as mecha stuff, even tho they aren't being piloted?

There should have been a super robot wars transformers game instead of the bad SRPG they made a few years back.

ee: I would settle for a transformers dynasty warriors game.

I've gotta try those good transformers games on steam when they get cheap enough

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 14, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Jonas Albrecht posted:

after finishing uncharted 4 i dunno, i'm looking for a thing to play that isn't mmo because i already have one of those

was looking at rise of the tombraider, dishonored 2, watch doggz 2, or something else entirely, something that doesn't really require me to focus a whole lot since i got dental work coming up

maybe ill try and actually finish RE0 or something

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

after getting luck of the irish i want to get the eu4 achievement Auld Alliance Reversed by the end of the year

:scotland:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Beyond Eyes, Suits: A Business RPG, Volume, Armed & Dangerous, some hidden object games

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Mass Effect 2 (again). Also DOOM.

WItcher 3, Skyrim re-master and Tyranny are all waiting. Too many RPGs :saddowns:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really thought Pacific Rim was shockingly bad. Like usually when people like something I don't I can see where they're coming from but with Pacific Rim, I found so little of any merit in there.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should really try to finish Ace Attorney 6 before the end of the year, and I want to try Ori as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

At least X4 is possibly the best game in the series. After that it goes very downhill though with them getting significantly worse with each game until X8 manages to be pretty ok.

• Locked thread