Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Vengarr posted:

What did they actually change? TBH, the only thing I noticed is the reduced speed on the torps, and they're still fine considering you're making GBS threads them out every 30 seconds.

I actually haven't noticed the change that much. Torps are a little slower, guns are a little slower, but it still clowns anything at its tier and makes every lovely BB driver utterly exasperated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hazdoc posted:

How many premium consumables are you using? Camo? Those cut into profits very quickly especially without premium. Also, doing 78k damage might still not get you a lot, if that damage was spread over lower tiered BBs and your kills were only last hits. Profits are based on % damage done to enemy ships, kills play a role but a smaller one. Also caps, resets, plane kills, and tanking/spotting earns you additional credits, so if you bluelined the whole match and never got shot at or contested a cap you may not see much money, even if you did a decent amount of damage.

No I hear you but when ammunition costs are close to 20k, that hurts the daily grind. The biggest thing right now for the Bismarck and I right now is when to commit and when to hide. Its like trying to balance two extremes where in the Bayern I felt like I was unstoppable and as long as I had any kind of support with no DDs around I just charged in there and hosed them up. The Gneiseneau was a totally different experience, she wanted to get close but only under totally controlled circumstances, otherwise it was more of a hide and seek BB where you always angle to the point where the rear turret rarely saw action and she was nimble enough to get around the map.

With the Bismarck it feels like the Bayern mixed with the Gnei. The only problem is if you are too skittish to start, it might take you out of action for a good minute or so before you can reposition, if you are too aggressive at the wrong time, there are enough damage out there at T8 to quickly melt you.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MikeC posted:

No I hear you but when ammunition costs are close to 20k, that hurts the daily grind. The biggest thing right now for the Bismarck and I right now is when to commit and when to hide. Its like trying to balance two extremes where in the Bayern I felt like I was unstoppable and as long as I had any kind of support with no DDs around I just charged in there and hosed them up. The Gneiseneau was a totally different experience, she wanted to get close but only under totally controlled circumstances, otherwise it was more of a hide and seek BB where you always angle to the point where the rear turret rarely saw action and she was nimble enough to get around the map.

With the Bismarck it feels like the Bayern mixed with the Gnei. The only problem is if you are too skittish to start, it might take you out of action for a good minute or so before you can reposition, if you are too aggressive at the wrong time, there are enough damage out there at T8 to quickly melt you.

Yeah, at T6 there are lots of potatoes and the torpedo threat usually only comes from IJN DDs, and occasionally IJN CAs. Only in point blank do other nation torps come into the picture. But what worked for the Bayern doesn't work for the Bismarck. While you are a terror at 10km and shorter with your cancer spewing secondaries and turtleback citadel, you still have to be very aware of your surroundings and know when you can brawl with lesser foes or just stick with them. Moving in to brawl too early means you could face the much deadlier torpedoes (and launcher configs... Myokos and Mogamis pack 2 quads on each side compared to their predecessors with as much bite as the DD torps) the IJN ships carry now, along with long ranged torps from the US DDs to boot.

People also know that Bismarcks are big HP pinatas so they attract HE like a magnet, don't go into a brawl outgunned with a smoked up DD or max range Atago able to light up you with impunity while you're occupied with a hostile BB. Its all about that situational awareness and positioning with a purpose. If you're having too much trouble brawling or you prefer outmaneuvering instead of barreling through enemies, the Amagi is a better choice.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 14, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Yubari strikes again. :stonklol:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Any advice vs Tier 10 carriers? Had a game with team comps being 5DD, 2BBs, 2CAs, 1CV (only top tier). Destroyer ran off to do their stuff and me and the other BB just sorta hugged each other while a Tier 10 Japanese carrier obliterated us with Torps and Bombs. I survived 2 waves, he died on the 5th one. We both never really got shots off on anything meaningful.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sailed up the middle on Two Brothers in my new Nagato and promptly blew up the Independence that happened to be crossing in front of the entrance on the enemy side :pwn:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

German dds when? Also premium rn carrier when?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/lookadoggy/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

^ Testers in the comments complaining that the hydro and smoke were nefed, Lo Yang seems secure

I didn't think we'd get German DDs til after the new year, but they have the teaser page up already, so maybe Wednesday next week isn't too far fetched?

Wasn't aware they were working on a RN carrier premium.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

It is inevitable.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh look, yet another German ship that magically gets naval AA more powerful than anyone else - despite them historically having absolute poo poo in that category. Z-53 is also moderately faster than Gearing, if I'm interpreting that correctly. "Automatic AA mounts" yeah, sure.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 14, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Wonderful since the patch that just updated today for me the game crashes immediately on launch. Keep daring me to uninstall forever WG, your plan is working.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

Any advice vs Tier 10 carriers? Had a game with team comps being 5DD, 2BBs, 2CAs, 1CV (only top tier). Destroyer ran off to do their stuff and me and the other BB just sorta hugged each other while a Tier 10 Japanese carrier obliterated us with Torps and Bombs. I survived 2 waves, he died on the 5th one. We both never really got shots off on anything meaningful.

This happened to me yesterday in an FDG, looked up the enemy CV after the game and the guy is a pro in a Hakuryu. It seems like there's been a resurgence of CVs in my games lately, not sure if that's everyone's experience.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Forward torp mounts on the T4? sounds like a new seal clubber, if that means I can go bow-on against a BB and still fire torps at them!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's really nothing you can do in BBs if your own team's carrier is poo poo and your CAs abandon you. Which sucks rear end, but, also carriers are there to munch BBs anyhow, so working as intended I guess?

It's not like the top tier BBs have lovely AA, either, even the NC can max out it's AAA rating, but without defensive fire to scatter bombs and torps you'll just eat too many.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Wasn't aware they were working on a RN carrier premium.

Ark Royal (92) is the obvious choice for a premium RN Carrier. 36 Fairey Swordfish and 18 Fairey Fulmers as it's aircraft compliment is accurate but it was designed to hold 72 Aircraft so wonder what they would go for.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

They will release it as a premium before the line, like the tirpitz was.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, the nerfed Minekaze is irredeemable garbage now. They went overboard on nerfs for a ship that was arguably only a little strong for its tier. Now its a ship that can get pummeled by even ships a tier below it. Quite sad.

In other news... ALL PLANES MUST DIE

Hazdoc, do you run DE or AFT on your high tier US cruisers? I have AFT, but am thinking about switching. Did you break 2000 base xp with that game?

I had a similar one yesterday in my NO in a Tier X match.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aramoro posted:

Ark Royal (92) is the obvious choice for a premium RN Carrier. 36 Fairey Swordfish and 18 Fairey Fulmers as it's aircraft compliment is accurate but it was designed to hold 72 Aircraft so wonder what they would go for.

They need to seriously overhaul carrier gameplay before introducing more premium carriers.

Ark Royal, Kaga, Enterprise and Graf Zeppelin are all candidates for premium carriers, but right now I have no idea how they would make them fun and interesting without being insanely overpowered like Saipan (which they threw into the game with barely any thought because they already had the model from Beta).

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

AP bombs.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Gimmick for germans could be that the bombs are accurate. Gimmick for RN torp bombers could be that the torps suck so bad nobody would ever want to use them.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Gimmick for RN torp bombers could be that the torps suck so bad nobody would ever want to use them.

Unless you hit a Bismarck, then they have a 100% chance of disabling the steering gears.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'd give Enterprise a few charges of Repair Party but it's not like carriers take a lot of damage anyway. They won't add AP bombs because it would predominately impact battleships and we can't have that.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Actually the gimmick for german carriers would be not having any planes for them at all, wouldn't it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Some sort of deck-mounted trebuchet, maybe.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

They need to seriously overhaul carrier gameplay before introducing more premium carriers.

Ark Royal, Kaga, Enterprise and Graf Zeppelin are all candidates for premium carriers, but right now I have no idea how they would make them fun and interesting without being insanely overpowered like Saipan (which they threw into the game with barely any thought because they already had the model from Beta).

I think that crazy ice and sawdust carrier would make a nice premium. It'd be slow as gently caress but that fits the pubbie meta of not moving their carrier until a DD starts shooting at them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I got chat banned for "complaints" last night doing a fake recruitment for Pansy in chat.

ZombieLenin posted:

Pansy, Wargamings's only all LGBTQ clan, is recruiting for our fabulous clan.

Must be a lesbian, gay, bi or queer and have access to TS.

If I wasn't trolling I'd use this as evidence as to why the automatic chat ban function was a terrible idea.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

El Disco posted:

I think that crazy ice and sawdust carrier would make a nice premium.

It's a bit of an aside but the fact that 1: people were willing to try building this and 2: that it's not actually impossible to build really says a lot about how both we as a species and the universe as a whole are loving crazy.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I can't wait to make some borderline insane Z-52 gimmick AA build nonsense.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Make more use of CV command and control abilities, marking targets (maybe giving out a dispersion buff to marked targets to ships in a certain range) , spotting which displays targets speed and heading to everyone.

Maybe something like that? No real idea though.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Actually the gimmick for german carriers would be not having any planes for them at all, wouldn't it.

The planes are operated by Luftwaffe loaner crews and attack friendly German DDs.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

Oh look, yet another German ship that magically gets naval AA more powerful than anyone else - despite them historically having absolute poo poo in that category. Z-53 is also moderately faster than Gearing, if I'm interpreting that correctly. "Automatic AA mounts" yeah, sure.

Okay, that's not fair. German AA wasn't absolute poo poo (look at how long Tirpitz lived), it just wasn't nearly as good as either British or American ship borne AAA.

Edit

A premium Japanese carrier makes way more sense as a first step since, unlike the American tree, the Japanese tree does not have a good trainer.

After that, you know when both nations with actual carrier lines have a premium carrier, they can worry about revamping carrier play or making new premiums from non-carrier tree nations.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 14, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Apparently the secret to me doing well in the Cleveland was to play trap house music at obscene levels. How weird.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZombieLenin posted:

A premium Japanese carrier makes way more sense as a first step since, unlike the American tree, the Japanese tree does not have a good trainer.

After that, you know when both nations with actual carrier lines have a premium carrier, they can worry about revamping carrier play or making new premiums from non-carrier tree nations.

I feel like Kaga's gimmick should either be fighters that get a bonus to dogfighting or planes that aren't panicked by Defensive Fire.

Not sure why you feel another premium carrier should come before making carriers fun though. It doesn't make sense to make a new premium when you might be changing the whole system dramatically and upending everything.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
It seems strange to me that Fighters still can't strafe ships and do damage to them in any way. That'd be useful for finishing off low HP ships.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

But they'll have really strong secondaries. 15km secondaries. :colbert:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OSad posted:

It seems strange to me that Fighters still can't strafe ships and do damage to them in any way. That'd be useful for finishing off low HP ships.

That wouldn't exactly be fun for low HP ships.

If strafing just knocked out AA guns, that might be interesting.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Strafing should suppress/damage AA guns on a ship and maybe reduce rudder shift due to the crew diving for cover in the bridge. The AA stuff would only really work on the open guns, the turret mounts wouldn't be affected I guess.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MoraleHazard posted:

Hazdoc, do you run DE or AFT on your high tier US cruisers? I have AFT, but am thinking about switching. Did you break 2000 base xp with that game?

I had a similar one yesterday in my NO in a Tier X match.

AFT/MAA, actually. I don't take Concealment Expert. I may go 3x4 with my 18th point once I get there, tbh, since having demo expert would be nice too, but I can also go BFT + Vigilance instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CitizenKain posted:

Strafing should suppress/damage AA guns on a ship and maybe reduce rudder shift due to the crew diving for cover in the bridge. The AA stuff would only really work on the open guns, the turret mounts wouldn't be affected I guess.

WG has mentioned they plan to implement fighter strafing on ships next year.