Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love this poo poo!

Can't post that without it's amazing companion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7n3YzDA3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vintersorg posted:

Can't post that without it's amazing companion.

"Darth Maul. I'm gonna check out Darth Maul; he's gonna be the new king."

Oh you poor soul. :(

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

That Concourse whatever article is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on the internet, and it's got nothing to do with what Star Wars movies that person does or doesn't like.
le kinja

https://twitter.com/DinkMagic/status/808817557981581313
https://twitter.com/YourGoodFriendR/status/808821122724597762

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The critic reviews for Rogue One are very positive. There are 24 negative reviews but they all come across as attempts at bad clickbait so they can be tossed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gonz posted:

"Darth Maul. I'm gonna check out Darth Maul; he's gonna be the new king."

Oh you poor soul. :(

It's OK, he got Clone Wars and Rebels now.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/shrekpissslave/status/808736480348749824

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

It's called World of Warcraft for a reason, you nerds :smug:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AV Club gives it a B.

quote:

Rogue One....doesn’t exactly subvert the light-and-dark mythos of that nearly 40-year-old multimedia franchise, but it does find the fatalism buried in its space-opera heroics. It has undeniable weaknesses: an underwritten protagonist, a generic villain, a shortage of interesting personalities. (No knock against the large cast, which is mostly very good, but underused.) But in many other respects, it is a better film than last year’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens: leaner, darker, with a distinct visual style and an actual ending that feels like a denial of blockbuster expectations simply because it shows basic narrative integrity. Returning to the movie influences and more limited color palette of A New Hope, director Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) has created the rare Star Wars property that can be appreciated as a film. And it is about as violent and downbeat as Star Wars gets on the big screen—more downbeat than The Empire Strikes Back, in fact.

quote:

Framing two differently sized objects together to establish scale is such a basic and effective filmmaking tool, and yet so few modern effects-driven blockbusters seem to grasp it. Edwards’ Godzilla did, and so does Rogue One.

quote:

But in a series as clean-cut and populist as Star Wars, it takes some guts to suggest that the heroic Rebellion might make people question its goals. The path to A New Hope is littered with bodies, wreckage, and sacrifice.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Six hours and I'll be in a big dark room full of people nerds watching a new Star Wars movie.

:D

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Just entered the theatre. For some reason the meganerds went Into the 3D version.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

KRENNIC: The power of the Empire cannot be stopped.

JYN: The Dark Side has fooled you, Krennic. Even if we fail today, the Rebellion will never end, because you are corrupt.

KRENNIC: (Turning slowly to face the camera) The real corruption is a leader who fails to divest themselves from their business interests or, even worse, leaves their children in charge of their businesses.

JYN: (Puts her hand on Krennic's shoulder and looks into the camera) Imagine if Darth Vader was running half the galaxy and he left Luke Skywalker in charge of his business.

KRENNIC: Now THAT's a dark side.

JYN: The irony is that white people are the darkest of all.

DARTH VADER: (Stepping up behind them and putting his arms around them both) That's why we have to genocide all whites. Without whites around, this galaxy far, far away will finally be free of war.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/dumpstarwars-reshoots-trump/

Good stuff.

quote:

Poe Dameron and Finn from Force Awakens are visible standing in the background nude and kissing. A droid reminds the audience that technically Poe Dameron is Latino, not white, so he is allowed to live in the perfect future.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jewmanji posted:

The reviews seem pretty tepid so far, with even the most positive ones highlighting the general lack of charm and 2D characters. Oh well.

Just saw it in a packed theater. At 10:30AM in the morning. The reviews don't surprise me. It felt like watching a Star Wars school play that recycled leftover set decoration from other parts of the saga. Bummer.

edit:

Star Destroyers are still cool though. So there's that.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Jack's Flow posted:

Just saw it in a packed theater. At 10:30AM in the morning. The reviews don't surprise me. It felt like watching a Star Wars school play that recycled leftover set decoration from other parts of the saga. Bummer.

edit:

They even managed to make Star Destroyers look like models of the original trilogy.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

edit:

Saw it as well and agree fully. Ah well.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Saw it and loved it. Star Wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

The critic reviews for Rogue One are very positive. There are 24 negative reviews but they all come across as attempts at bad clickbait so they can be tossed.
Do they all have titles like "We Seriously Need to Talk About [the portrayal of a minority] in Rogue One Right Now?"

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jack's Flow posted:

It felt like watching a Star Wars school play that recycled leftover set decoration from other parts of the saga. Bummer.

Just spitballing here, could the leftover set stuff be because they are in locations that have already been depicted in previous SW movies? It wouldn't make much sense if I said, "Darth Vader's costume looks recycled from other parts of the saga."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well that was fun. Great visuals but the music was forgettable other thab the John Williams themes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

drunkill posted:

Well that was fun. Great visuals but the music was forgettable other thab the John Williams themes.

Is Darth Vader a really badass scary monster?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder how many of these movies will be made before we get one that stands out as especially bad or especially good. It seems like, predictably, Rogue One will be another moderately entertaining, yet ultimately forgettable entry.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder how many of these movies will be made before we get one that stands out as especially bad or especially good. It seems like, predictably, Rogue One will be another moderately entertaining, yet ultimately forgettable entry.

Eh that's just how big budget movies work now.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I think the best hope is someone completely nailing their own style within the disney confines as much as possible

Like the Russo Brothers and Winter Soldier

I'm pretty bummed that after being so disappointed with TFA I'm now living a reality where I'm not mega hype for anything Star Wars--my 12 year old self would be so ashamed but like drat how much safer and lame can these movies get yeeesh

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
It definitely isn't like fanfiiction or 'a school play'. It's a great film with a great story, it's just the tone is very very very different from the other films (plus the different music).

Goreld fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 14, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

Is Darth Vader a really badass scary monster?

http://i.imgur.com/YbtnKU4.gifv
x10 (and it is in the dark)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 14, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goreld posted:

It definitely isn't like fanfiiction or 'a school play'. It's a great film with a great story, it's just the tone is very very very different from the other films (plus the different music).

I don't think fan fiction is really an appropriate criticism, and I haven't seen the movie yet so I'm just going by the reviews/spoilers I've read, but a better way to put that complaint would probably be that the movie feels very focus grouped. Its exactly what you'd expect from the story of the Death Star plans, with each story beat designed to tick the boxes that fans want while also getting the plot to its inevitable and very predictable end.

Like, am I supposed to be surprised that there's a scene where Vader decimates a bunch of rebels in a badass way? Of course that happens, we all knew it was going to happen. Its a problem that was even more inherent to this movie than usual because it covers events that have already been partially solidified in fans minds for years. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy that scene, because I am a Star Wars fan, but if given a choice I'd take something a little more surprising and unpredictable.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

people who have seen it, please tell me whether someone says "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's not that different from the prequels. We all knew the outcome and we just watched the story unfold at a glacial pace. I can't believe I paid to see all three of those in the theater

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Super Fan posted:

It's not that different from the prequels. We all knew the outcome and we just watched the story unfold at a glacial pace. I can't believe I paid to see all three of those in the theater

why does it matter how rogue one compares to the prequels?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

why does it matter how rogue one compares to the prequels?

I just want the new movies to be better than the prequels because I didn't like them. I'm pleased so far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So does the new movie good or bad?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As someone who thought TFA was just okay, is Rogue One worth the trouble of opening night?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Guys, you're making this complicated. It's not complicated. For the last loving time: Donnie Yen's in it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Guys, you're making this complicated. It's not complicated. For the last loving time: Donnie Yen's in it.
But the last special effect spectacular that Donnie Yen starred in was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCj-XP5cjOY

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish Donnie Yen would just realize like Takeshi Kitano did that Hollywood is never going to properly utilize his talents. Just keep making kick rear end martial arts movies in Hong Kong.

phanter04
Apr 28, 2008
Is this worth watching on IMAX 3d?

I haven't been to an IMAX theatre since Interstellar and I did not enjoy having to transition between IMAX shot scenes and the more common aspect ratio.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I wish Donnie Yen would just realize like Takeshi Kitano did that Hollywood is never going to properly utilize his talents. Just keep making kick rear end martial arts movies in Hong Kong.

Beat Takeshi is in a Hollywood film coming out in like 3 months though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Beat Takeshi is in a Hollywood film coming out in like 3 months though.

Interesting, he swore off Hollywood and actually stuck to it for over a decade but I guess everyone has a price. Maybe he just meant he'd never direct another Hollywood movie, not appear in one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Saw it last night and there are some New Hope characters they insert with CG faces and it's the most distracting thing ever.
Even if they didn't look that close, I'd still far prefer lookalikes.

e: Didn't think the movie was all that either.

Waffles Inc. posted:

people who have seen it, please tell me whether someone says "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Yup.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Or maybe you should just toss all of the reviews, because the vast majority of reviews are totally worthless, and just make up your own mind about the movie once you see it. This should go for everyone.

For example, just because Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are both certified Fresh on RottenTomatoes doesn't mean you're obligated to think they're good movies. Most of those positive reviews are just as worthless as any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

Or maybe you should just toss all of the reviews, because the vast majority of reviews are totally worthless, and just make up your own mind about the movie once you see it. This should go for everyone.

For example, just because Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are both certified Fresh on RottenTomatoes doesn't mean you're obligated to think they're good movies. Most of those positive reviews are just as worthless as any others.

Most people are perfectly capable of seeing a movie and deciding whether or not they personally liked it, and then separately from that, keeping tabs on various reviews out of curiosity about how the public at large is responding to it.

• Locked thread