Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xarn posted:

I am ok with the first time... who knew that it would wear off in couple of seconds? The second time though, they already knew the de-speeding doesn't hold for long and should've just loving shot him. Especially since one of the two was Mike, who knows how bad fighting a speedster is and is a psycho killer -- he really shouldn't have moral problems with just frying him while he can.

I was really disappointed because we know that even without superspeed Eobard is an Oliver-level hand to hand badass and he should've had a trick or two up his sleeve for just this occasion, dude's a four-quadrant threat.

e: I rewatched the fight vs. Flash/Ollie/Firestorm and Oliver has the upper hand but Wells gets some licks in and definitely isn't dunked on, it would've been more satisfying if he pulled a few moves on them instead of "evil wins because good is dumb".

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I was really disappointed because we know that even without superspeed Eobard is an Oliver-level hand to hand badass and he should've had a trick or two up his sleeve for just this occasion, dude's a four-quadrant threat.

e: I rewatched the fight vs. Flash/Ollie/Firestorm and Oliver has the upper hand but Wells gets some licks in and definitely isn't dunked on, it would've been more satisfying if he pulled a few moves on them instead of "evil wins because good is dumb".

What if Eobard also had a gun? My god he could be unstoppable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What if he had

and I know this is crazy but hear me out

What if he had TWO guns.

One for each hand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Knowing Eobard. He would threaten someone with the gun, shoot said gun, and then run ahead of the bullets and speed-punch whoever he shot at so they go flying violently across the room and have more damage done to them than if the bullets hit them anyway.

Because Eobard is a dick like that.

e: also, I cannot wait to see how pissed Stein gets when he realizes they've been dealing with the Reverse Flash this whole time. That is going to be amazing. Because if there's one thing Alias taught me it's that Victor Garber does smouldering, murderous anger really drat well :allears:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 11, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Garber says he hopes they never do a Titanic episode, but I hope they do.

I hope they do. :getin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Garber says he hopes they never do a Titanic episode, but I hope they do.

I hope they do. :getin:

:v: Yo, Gray! That dude totally looks like you!
:what: That 'dude' is Thomas Andrews, the designer of the Titanic, and no he does not, Jefferson!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I love the way that they totally forget about the link between Firestorm.
Professor getting tortured - no effect on the other half.
Stien walks in, Jefferson totally doesn't realize that there is no connection between the guy that is standing in front of him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

What if he had

and I know this is crazy but hear me out

What if he had TWO guns.

One for each hand.

:psyboom:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
But if he had two guns then he wouldn't have a free hand to phase through anyone's heart.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Mr Beens posted:

Stien walks in, Jefferson totally doesn't realize that there is no connection between the guy that is standing in front of him.

They'll remember when Jax is hitting on Lily.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ApeHawk posted:

But if he had two guns then he wouldn't have a free hand to phase through anyone's heart.

Yes he would, he is really, really fast.

e: also he could totally phase the gun into someone and then shoot them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mr Beens posted:

Not really, Jax kind of had a puzzled look on his face before the camera cut but I guess have zero fucks probably because some assholes were messing up his cargo hold again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they are a point of Jax being weirded out by Fake Stein and I took that as him not feeling the link. It's just kind of an emotional state of being thing and not mind reading so I could buy that it was just a weird feeling.

Of course they didn't do anything with it since Jax just saw him speeding on the security camera. But I thought they paid the necessary lip service to the psychic connection thing.

The whole thing was a little weird since they didn't show the viewer what Thawne was doing but instead relied on people remembering what he did to Wells in Flash S1. It's like they wanted it to be a shocker or Easter egg but then rushed the reveal in a very undramatic way. It was odd.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think in general, the producers make the show with some expectations that all viewers will be a fan of at least one show and have at least a passing knowledge of the other, between Arrow and Flash. Like they don't really bother explaining who Damien or Malcolm are, and the latter has been a big part of Arrow's supporting cast since season 1 (granted his importance to the narrative diminishes with each season, which I guess is why he's on LOT this season instead.) Anyone who hasn't at least read up on Arrow will have no idea the significance of his conversation with Sara in this episode.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

teamcharlie posted:

Jax: Check it out everybody, we've got a gun that maybe sorta stops speedsters for about ten seconds and reloads way slower than that! Lucky we have it, otherwise we'd have absolutely no weapons whatsoever that were specifically designed to stop or kill speedsters and work way better than this one.

Ray: That's so cool! Hmm. Cool...Cold...What am I forgetting? Eh, not important.

[Five minutes later]

Ray: Oh yeah! Thanks for letting me borrow your dead best friend's gun, Mick! After I took out all the science crap that thing made for a wicked bong.

I'm assuming the Cold gun no longer works after he took it apart a few episodes ago.

Clearly he could fix it, but I'm sure that won't come up until later in the season when it winds up being a plot point.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 12, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

I liked that when it happened, because I can take or leave superhuman characters being completely useless when they lose their powers.

I like that one episode of JLU where Superman gets sent to the future and doesn't have his powers, so he loads up a car with petrol and starts driving toward where their HQ should be, then after he has to continue on foot and gets attacked by some wolves, he escapes and forges a machete and kills the leader of the pack, and the rest of the wolves become loyal to him. I liked that one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked that when it happened, because I can take or leave superhuman characters being completely useless when they lose their powers.

I like that one episode of JLU where Superman gets sent to the future and doesn't have his powers, so he loads up a car with petrol and starts driving toward where their HQ should be, then after he has to continue on foot and gets attacked by some wolves, he escapes and forges a machete and kills the leader of the pack, and the rest of the wolves become loyal to him. I liked that one.

That was also the best vandal savage portrayal. (Linking it back to this thread)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hughlander posted:

That was also the best vandal savage portrayal. (Linking it back to this thread)

"jfc I killed everyone and now I'm bored out of my skull, please fix this"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lotus circle posted:

I think in general, the producers make the show with some expectations that all viewers will be a fan of at least one show and have at least a passing knowledge of the other, between Arrow and Flash. Like they don't really bother explaining who Damien or Malcolm are, and the latter has been a big part of Arrow's supporting cast since season 1 (granted his importance to the narrative diminishes with each season, which I guess is why he's on LOT this season instead.) Anyone who hasn't at least read up on Arrow will have no idea the significance of his conversation with Sara in this episode.

Sure, you're absolutely right. They obviously work under the idea that there's next to no one who is watching Legends without previously being a fan of Flash or Arrow. And that's probably a safe bet. Because yeah, half of Legends is basically coy references to the other shows and characters popping in with little explanation.

But I just thought Thawne pulling out his identity stealing device was probably a deep enough detail to Flash that a lot of people who were otherwise familiar with Thawne might have missed it. It just sort of played like an easter egg where you were supposed to think Thawne was torturing Stein unless you remembered back to that, but then that made the reveal kind of clunky since if you did remember you wouldn't have been very surprised by a more dramatic reveal on the Waverider.

It just felt like that Comic Book thing where some writer references something from some other book and years ago and is really proud of it but realistically only half his audience gets it so he can't really do anything truly coy or creative with it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I completely forgot Thawne had access to one of those Fringe shapeshifter devices.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm sure a lot of people did since the "how" of Thawne taking Wells' identity was never really made a thing beyond 1 or 2 episodes.

Its like reading a comic book when a character references something and there's an asterisk that leads down to a box at the bottom of the page telling you what random comic book from years ago you have to read to get the reference.

Comic books love being vaguely masturbatory about the self referencing and that felt like Legends getting there too. Which is fine with me since I just want Legends to keep leaning in and just start pulling people from Supergirl and random alternate dimensions the Flash creates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My favorite thing about the shape changing device was that he was able to conveniently modify it to be non-fatal for "reasons."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess it helped that Stein hadn't been in a car crash that killed his wife? I dunno. I'd have to re-read that issue to remember exactly how that worked.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wait is Steins wife dead in flashpoint?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Wait is Steins wife dead in flashpoint?

No, Stein wasn't affected by Flashpoint. They're talking about what happened to the Original Harrison Wells when Thawne stole his identity. Thawne engineered a car crash as a cover story, stole the OG Wells' face and killed him, then killed his wife to silence the only other potential witness, claiming she died in the crash while he "survived".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry, I was just trying to be cute with my confusing the show with a comic book thing. It got confusing. My bad.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

No, Stein wasn't affected by Flashpoint. They're talking about what happened to the Original Harrison Wells when Thawne stole his identity. Thawne engineered a car crash as a cover story, stole the OG Wells' face and killed him, then killed his wife to silence the only other potential witness, claiming she died in the crash while he "survived".

My reading comprehension is bad :cripes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lotus circle posted:

Honestly I would watch a whole show just about Eobard, Darhk and Malcolm being assholes across the timeline.
Add Mick and Sara and have the "legends of tomorrow" be legendary time travelling criminals. Better show than this one.

Senerio posted:

I really liked the episode. I loved Eobard's reaction to Malcolm saying something stupid right after he called Malcolm more than just a pretty face.
Honestly, they've all been beaten by people way weaker and dumber than them, so none of them really have room to criticise. Although I'm not sure what exactly Malcolm brings to the table since his thing is just that he's an assassin and Dhahrhkh is already an assassin and a wizard. I guess he used to be Ra's al Ghul.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they are a point of Jax being weirded out by Fake Stein and I took that as him not feeling the link. It's just kind of an emotional state of being thing and not mind reading
It's like a lot of things in these shows, really inconsistent. In some episodes it's practically mind reading, in others it barely exists.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
In Eobard's defense, the first time was Eddie getting in a surprise fatal move and then the second time Eobard was implied to be a significantly earlier version who even Barry was as fast as. The other two have no excuse though, especially not Damien with his bullshit magic powers.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Has Damien even used his powers while on LoT?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
He doesn't have them yet at the time period he's pulled from, if I'm understanding right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty sure he used them a couple of times early on. I just don't think he's as juiced up as he was in Arrow because he hasnt powered up or something.

Every time hed have a reason to use them he just says "you or me?" and Thawne does it. Because I guess speedster effects are easier at this stage than anything else.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I kind of want Darhk to pull out the telekinesis again

it's a cheap power to do on camera and even if it's only a fragment of the power, it could have some serious application.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lotus circle posted:

In Eobard's defense, the first time was Eddie getting in a surprise fatal move and then the second time Eobard was implied to be a significantly earlier version who even Barry was as fast as.
This also has to be Thawne pre-killing Barry's mom, because that's where his story ends. He lives in that timeline for 10 years and then dies. So this Thawne is a ~~~time remnant~~~.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

FactsAreUseless posted:

This also has to be Thawne pre-killing Barry's mom, because that's where his story ends. He lives in that timeline for 10 years and then dies. So this Thawne is a ~~~time remnant~~~.

After the crossover I decided to give the next episode of this a shot, they last me really early in the first season, I gotta say I like season 2 so far, it is really fun. My wife and I lost our poo poo when Sara winked at the "corrupted women" of Salem.

That said, this season feels like it is leading to Thawne getting Gideon. But then something broke my brain in the last episode. The face swapper thing that he used to kill the real Wells being nonlethal when used on Stein. In order for this to make sense this has to be a younger Thawne than the one that was the villain of season 1 Flash, sooooo why did the face stealing thing kill Wells?

I guess it wouldn't be a thing if I'm just forgetting Thawne stealing real Well's face before vibrohanding him. But I'm pretty sure I remember the face thing turning wells into a dried out corpse.

Fun show though!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FactsAreUseless posted:

After Thawne killed Barry's mom (again) didn't he drop Barry off in the un-Flashpointed present and then gently caress off? He's not a time remnant he's an ~*aberration*~

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
My theory is that he is now dr stein's great x10 grandson by way of stein's new daughter, which is why he didn't kill him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Writh posted:

After the crossover I decided to give the next episode of this a shot, they last me really early in the first season, I gotta say I like season 2 so far, it is really fun. My wife and I lost our poo poo when Sara winked at the "corrupted women" of Salem.

That said, this season feels like it is leading to Thawne getting Gideon. But then something broke my brain in the last episode. The face swapper thing that he used to kill the real Wells being nonlethal when used on Stein. In order for this to make sense this has to be a younger Thawne than the one that was the villain of season 1 Flash, sooooo why did the face stealing thing kill Wells?

I guess it wouldn't be a thing if I'm just forgetting Thawne stealing real Well's face before vibrohanding him. But I'm pretty sure I remember the face thing turning wells into a dried out corpse.

Fun show though!

Thawne specifically said he'd modified it not to kill.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Writh posted:

Fun show though!

It's plot convenience, but I can explain it away if you like.

Thawne only nibbled on Stein because he wanted a shoddy shapeshift he could shake off to restore his real face. The Wells shapeshift had to stick for the rest of his life, so he sucked OG Wells dry for a full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's a bunch of possible hand waves like "he didn't use it at full power because he only needed to be Stein for a little while", "he made adjustments to the tech", or "Well's injuries from the car crash made it harsher."

• Locked thread