Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

<THREAD> Out of love for the truth and from desire to elucidate it, the Reverend Father Martin Luther, Master of Arts and Sacred Theology, and ordinary lecturer therein at Wittenberg, intends to offer some game theory... 1/95

ha ha HA ha ha heh haa heh ghehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I assure you the takeaway at the DNC will be that Trump was such a bad candidate that it lulled the Clinton camp into a false sense of security

you knew drat well he was a snake

before you took him in

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CubsWoo posted:

I assure you the takeaway at the DNC will be that Trump was such a bad candidate that it lulled the Clinton camp into a false sense of security

you knew drat well he was a snake

before you took him in

Well, that probably did happen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Calling him a traveling salesman seems like a dismissive attack to me. Huey was a traveling salesman for a few years after highschool and he learned a lot about the character of different LA communities during that time. He had a genius for sales, but was also a brilliant and principled lawyer.

It could definitely be read that way, but everything I've read about him has described his time as a traveling salesman as a benefit to his future career. He learned to work a crowd and connect with people, which I think really served him well later on. Especially relevant today given that we are soon to be ruled by the modern day equivalent of a traveling salesman.

People can use it as an attack, but that would be pretty stupid imo

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Trump has a signed copy of the Ali tribute book in his penthouse

The ultimate rope-a-dope

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Joementum posted:

<THREAD> Out of love for the truth and from desire to elucidate it, the Reverend Father Martin Luther, Master of Arts and Sacred Theology, and ordinary lecturer therein at Wittenberg, intends to offer some game theory... 1/95

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

nah, then underestimating trump would have ment they would have focused on all the normal states and ignored Arizona and the like. Underestimation makes people do their basic poo poo.

The problem is that the Hillary campaign was arrogant and didn't even do the basic poo poo.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
smug loving assholes

https://twitter.com/b11377/status/809036316168044544

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Agean90 posted:

nah, then underestimating trump would have ment they would have focused on all the normal states and ignored Arizona and the like. Underestimation makes people do their basic poo poo.

The problem is that the Hillary campaign was arrogant and didn't even do the basic poo poo.

I disagree, they wouldn't have taken swing states for granted and swung for the fences on red-leaning states if they didn't underestimate him

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

I disagree, they wouldn't have taken swing states for granted and swung for the fences on red-leaning states if they didn't underestimate him

Yeah your prolly right, the two arnt mutually exclusive and I'm mostly using it as and excuse to talk poo poo about hilldawg

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yo gently caress hillary, she needs to be blacklisted from the party jfc

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

seriously, everyone read that politico article. what the gently caress

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/michigan-hillary-clinton-trump-232547

Everybody could see Hillary Clinton was cooked in Iowa. So when, a week-and-a-half out, the Service Employees International Union started hearing anxiety out of Michigan, union officials decided to reroute their volunteers, giving a desperate team on the ground around Detroit some hope.

They started prepping meals and organizing hotel rooms.

SEIU — which had wanted to go to Michigan from the beginning, but been ordered not to — dialed Clinton’s top campaign aides to tell them about the new plan. According to several people familiar with the call, Brooklyn was furious.

Turn that bus around, the Clinton team ordered SEIU. Those volunteers needed to stay in Iowa to fool Donald Trump into competing there, not drive to Michigan, where the Democrat’s models projected a 5-point win through the morning of Election Day.

Michigan organizers were shocked. It was the latest case of Brooklyn ignoring on-the-ground intel and pleas for help in a race that they felt slipping away at the end.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The Clinton campaign thought they were so in the clear for winning that they could try a bunch of new experimental poo poo to make a sea change in electoral politics and mook and podesta would go down in history as Carville style masterminds.

In addition to and besides this, they also ran a loving stupid campaign for idiots.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Bushiz posted:

they also ran a loving stupid campaign for idiots.

accurate summary

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Joementum posted:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I really hope the hackers got more than the email because I want to see the campaign balance sheets in total.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bushiz posted:

The Clinton campaign thought they were so in the clear for winning that they could try a bunch of new experimental poo poo to make a sea change in electoral politics and mook and podesta would go down in history as Carville style masterminds.

In addition to and besides this, they also ran a loving stupid campaign for idiots.

pretty much yea. I only hope this leads to the 2020 campaigns to all have a large person in the planning room with a wooden spoon that bonks anyone who says 'we have this state on lock, don't worry' over the head.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bushiz posted:

I really hope the hackers got more than the email because I want to see the campaign balance sheets in total.

:same:

But in the interest of fairness, I'm eagerly awaiting the RNC release.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

:same:

But in the interest of fairness, I'm eagerly awaiting the RNC release.

lol that's not gonna come

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
We can accuse them of being Carville style masterminds, but Carville was the one who coined the phrase "it's the economy, stupid".

This was a severe case of the Democrats refusing to listen to their own electoral success stories.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I have gone from laughing at the hackers to cheering for them

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

lol that's not gonna come

I still have hope, dammit!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

We can accuse them of being Carville style masterminds, but Carville was the one who coined the phrase "it's the economy, stupid".

This was a severe case of the Democrats refusing to listen to their own electoral success stories.

point of important clarity, they WANTED to be Carville style masterminds. No one is claiming they WERE.

Carville on election night was one of my faves, looking back, if only because he was probably one of the first dems to start saying 'haha yea man she's gonna lose this with these states going red'. Just like, perfect Carville style of 'yea this fuckin sucks but let's not pretend it's not happening.'

We should have listened.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

point of important clarity, they WANTED to be Carville style masterminds. No one is claiming they WERE.

Carville on election night was one of my faves, looking back, if only because he was probably one of the first dems to start saying 'haha yea man she's gonna lose this with these states going red'. Just like, perfect Carville style of 'yea this fuckin sucks but let's not pretend it's not happening.'

We should have listened.

yeah carville was worth keeping an eye on rewtaching election night msnbc
he gets into what id say is a cold panic or something
elveryone else is dazed

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Serf posted:

I have gone from laughing at the hackers to cheering for them

seeing liberals go apoplectic over the emails has been lol

pre-election: pff the emails aren't a big deal, they are one Nothing Burger
post-election: let's go to war over this poo poo

Serf
May 5, 2011

LinYutang posted:

seeing liberals go apoplectic over the emails has been lol

pre-election: pff the emails aren't a big deal, they are one Nothing Burger
post-election: let's go to war over this poo poo

I'm still unconvinced they had any impact on her numbers, but now they provide a valuable window into the complete and utter failure that her campaign really was

and now seeing that this was caused by a lame phishing email and a typo from some intern has made it all much more hilarious. I hope they got tons more and dump it all, because that's where we're gonna get any insights about this failure from

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Joementum posted:

:lol: The thing was run by D&D posters.

Lawn signs are pretty lovely, but how can they claim that canvassing isn't effective?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Lawn signs are pretty lovely, but how can they claim that canvassing isn't effective?

This election has taught me lawn signs make excellent idiot traps.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

bill mitchell believed in the power of lawn signs and look what happened

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Serf posted:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lawn signs are pointless and do very little for you but you don't sell yard signs because yard signs work, you sell yard signs so, ya know, when some old lady in Flint calls you asking for one you can happily send over some campaign worker to bring her a sign and talk about how great it is she's helping out and ask if there's anything else she needs. Signs themselves are useless but they're incredibly powerful canvassing tools and lol @ the woman who's husband ran the most powerful ground game in modern elections not seeming to get that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Serf posted:

I'm actually open to the idea of the hats being a genius idea. It turns you into a mobile campaign side with a human face, ready to engage in one-on-one discussion anywhere.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A reminder that we all (correctly, but still) made fun of folks for 'facebanking'.

I feel like even spamming peoples' facebook feeds would have been better than the Clinton campaign strategy of doing literally nothing at all.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

MizPiz posted:

This election has taught me lawn signs make excellent idiot traps.

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Ohana/status/795436627665518592

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYdi2lIWCI

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm actually open to the idea of the hats being a genius idea. It turns you into a mobile campaign side with a human face, ready to engage in one-on-one discussion anywhere.

yeah, the hats were 'powerful'
ever worn a redhat? in public? in canada? in liberal vancuckver?
thats power.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

you can make fun of the trump campaign for a lot of things but i don't think there's much argument that the hats and slogan weren't a great idea

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

A reminder that we all (correctly, but still) made fun of folks for 'facebanking'.

I feel like even spamming peoples' facebook feeds would have been better than the Clinton campaign strategy of doing literally nothing at all.

Probably yea. Facebanking was stupid and did almost nothing, but 'almost nothing' is better than 'literal nothing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
if lawn signs didn't do anything they wouldn't be valuable

by acting as a display of ideological leaning, if you get enough people to display it, it normalizes it

so tl;dr when an old lady asks for a lawn sign you drat well give her one

• Locked thread