Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The townsfolk episodes are unable to reach the heights of the gem episodes, but this is mostly because every gem is deeply connected to the premise of the show, while Beach Citizens other than Greg are just fun bystanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The problem is how the show increasingly separates the townies and the gems. Townies were fine when the gems had to deal with magic problems around beach city.

By season 4 there's virtually no interaction between the interesting characters (other than steven or greg) and the people of beach city, so the parts of the show we're actually invested in get put on hold to remind us that they're still there. It tends to lower your opinions on the townsfolk even if they're alright characters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tetracube posted:

The problem is how the show increasingly separates the townies and the gems. Townies were fine when the gems had to deal with magic problems around beach city.

By season 4 there's virtually no interaction between the interesting characters (other than steven or greg) and the people of beach city, so the parts of the show we're actually invested in get put on hold to remind us that they're still there. It tends to lower your opinions on the townsfolk even if they're alright characters.

By this point I was hoping it would be the opposite and we'd be seeing more interactions between the Gems and various humans around town instead of basically none. There's a very wide gap between the human characters and the Gem characters and it doesn't look like that'll be changing unless something shakes up the status quo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
just you wait until homeworld attacks and the gems are down but Steven saves them by remembering all the humans he's met along the way.... and fusing with them, like just fusing with the populace of the entire town of Beach City, even onion

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is why I'm glad for the existence of S. Pearl has a reason to start interacting with humans now which was something she never had any need or intention of before, because she finally has a crush on someone. Garnet is too closed off, not just to humans but to other gems to an extent due to Ruby and Sapphire having each other. There are a few exceptions but it seems she preferrs going solo mainly and has no reason to change that. Amethyst enjoys hanging with Vidalia and eating food from the stalls at least, but even then that's all she really does if noones there to take her places.

S may be the excuse that they need to branch out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clearly Peridot and Lapis need to start hanging out in town.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

MikeJF posted:

Clearly Peridot and Lapis need to start hanging out in town.
They need to make friends with Vidalia, and by proxy the Beach City art meepmorp scene.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tupperwarez posted:

They need to make friends with Vidalia, and by proxy the Beach City art meepmorp scene.

See, this is the kind of townie episode we need.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Just have the main characters other than Steven interact with the town more. You don't have to expand the lore, or move the plot every time, if you can still provide quality character moments.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I feel like comparing Townee episodes with gem episodes is unfair. Its almost like there is 2 entirely different shows in SU.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Attestant posted:

Just have the main characters other than Steven interact with the town more. You don't have to expand the lore, or move the plot every time, if you can still provide quality character moments.

The problem is that Steven will have to be there anyway, since the show has been pretty rigorous about making sure we see what he sees.

Going back over the series though, I do hope there's an episode where someone finally calls out Steven for his manipulative behavior without the show taking Steven's side on things. The New Lars is probably the best example of this, but Steven's been having a problem with making decisions FOR people, with Barn Mates, Mr. Greg, and Beach City Drift as notable occasions. Maybe Garnet sits him down one episode and points out this stuff and says "Hey, I know things usually turn out okay :c00l:, but making decisions for people is lovely, and it's what made your mom a lovely gem. Plus the Diamonds decided our entire lives for us before we were even born but that's getting into some pretty heavy poo poo."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The issue is the show wants to be a lot of things but is in a slow moving 10 minute an episode format. It wants to be a magical girl show with Steven coming to terms with himself and his powers, a larger epic story of rebellion against an evil empire that is shown both in the past through flashbacks and the current timeline, a magical girlfriend anime involving Greg and Rose, and a slice of life show where the incidental characters are given episodes to expand on their issues (which often never come up again). It's very stretched thin and while I think it's doing a good job overall they only have so much time to devote to every one of those ideas and it feels weird when there's the looming disaster and Steven is taking time to be a wishing arcade machine or something.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
*Checks graph of show ratings for SU*

*Sees that Say Uncle is the lowest rated*

Yyyyyeah, I would take all those ratings with a grain of salt because IMDB apparently doesn't have a sense of humor. :colbert:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Yyyyyeah, I would take all those ratings with a grain of salt because IMDB apparently doesn't have a sense of humor. :colbert:

Well to be fair Say Uncle is a bad episode. :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IronSaber posted:

Don't you know? Real Cool Adults can only consume media if they can convince themselves that it's very serious and meaningful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radish posted:

The issue is the show wants to be a lot of things but is in a slow moving 10 minute an episode format. It wants to be a magical girl show with Steven coming to terms with himself and his powers, a larger epic story of rebellion against an evil empire that is shown both in the past through flashbacks and the current timeline, a magical girlfriend anime involving Greg and Rose, and a slice of life show where the incidental characters are given episodes to expand on their issues (which often never come up again). It's very stretched thin and while I think it's doing a good job overall they only have so much time to devote to every one of those ideas and it feels weird when there's the looming disaster and Steven is taking time to be a wishing arcade machine or something.

I think SU will look different in retrospect than when it's being watched live. The extremely slow release schedule seems to be a CN thing rather than an inherent flaw of the show, so you end up waiting months for a minor townie episode that doesn't advance the overarching plot. It felt very balanced when I was binging for the first time, watching everything up until "Say Uncle" over the course of a few weeks. Starting with "Love Letters', however, I've had to wait along with everyone else.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hihohe posted:

I feel like comparing Townee episodes with gem episodes is unfair. Its almost like there is 2 entirely different shows in SU.

Yeah and one's bad

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i liked the uncle episode, it was a fun diversion and the reactions of the gems were priceless

why do people hate it, breaks the tone too much?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RottenK posted:

i liked the uncle episode, it was a fun diversion and the reactions of the gems were priceless

I just really don't like the characters in UG :shrug: which is a shame, because yeah, the gem reactions are awesome

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Triskelli posted:

The problem is that Steven will have to be there anyway, since the show has been pretty rigorous about making sure we see what he sees.

Going back over the series though, I do hope there's an episode where someone finally calls out Steven for his manipulative behavior without the show taking Steven's side on things. The New Lars is probably the best example of this, but Steven's been having a problem with making decisions FOR people, with Barn Mates, Mr. Greg, and Beach City Drift as notable occasions. Maybe Garnet sits him down one episode and points out this stuff and says "Hey, I know things usually turn out okay :c00l:, but making decisions for people is lovely, and it's what made your mom a lovely gem. Plus the Diamonds decided our entire lives for us before we were even born but that's getting into some pretty heavy poo poo."

I think after New Lars Steven did understand he was loving it up. I mean, in "Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service" he immediately apologizes to Kiki when he realizes he was in her dreams. After that episode I don't remember Steven making decisions for people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RottenK posted:

Some people can't stand Uncle Grandpa or its style of humor, but it's probably because it was a non-canon April Fool's episode instead of a deep, emotional storyline like the show is famous for.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't understand why people are so defensive about liking dogshit episode "Say Uncle" but there is no need for some special explanation for why other people are able to correctly discern that it's garbage.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

hangedman1984 posted:

Well to be fair Say Uncle is a bad episode. :colbert:

Counterpoint: Say Uncle had a head cannon sinking a ship, which was a lot of self aware humor for a show.

I doubt that episode would work after recent seasons though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah and one's bad

If you say so...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fanmade gif but spoilered for people who haven't gotten to the "Know Your Fusion" episode yet.

http://giffing-su.tumblr.com/post/154469428102

GunnerJ posted:

I don't understand why people are so defensive about liking dogshit episode "Say Uncle" but there is no need for some special explanation for why other people are able to correctly discern that it's garbage.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I just want more Deweys. Mayor Dewey has barely been a character lately, and even Buck has been scarce.I hope that Sugar and Co. can pry Joel away from the production of new MST3K long enough to get some more Dewey.

Episode titles: Major Dewey. Dewey or Dewey Not. A Buck and his dog. Mayor Dewey vs. Homeworld. The Good, the Bad, and the Dewey.

I just find both Deweys hillarious. The townie episodes are worthwhile for them if nothing else.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Say Uncle has only one redeeming quality, which is the freakouts that the crystal gems have when their heads reattach.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One of Steven's core character traits is that he's the bridge between the Gem world and the Human world, with strong ties to both but not fully existing in either. The townies need to exist to explore this, it can't all be expressed through his relationship with his Dad. The best townie ep is Joy Ride, IMO. The Cool Kids are fun to hang out with, it's equal parts fun and emotional, and it has one of the most direct meetings of the two worlds with the escape pod shenannigans.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tetracube posted:

I think this essentially gets to the heart of the matter. The show, ostensibly, is supposed to be about how this half-human, half-spacerock child interacts with his world with the opera as a backdrop. But over the past... while... (I don't know when seasons split anymore and I don't really care) the gems have stayed off in the temple or farm and the humans have been in town and there's been zero interaction. Seeing how the gems/gem stuff is forced to fit into society (like the beach volleyball vs. the Pizza family episode or Frybo) is entertaining. Low-key conflict resolution (Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service), not so much.

Beach City needs the gems and all their weirdness to be an engaging landscape. What I'm saying is KEEP BEACH CITY WEIRD!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TwoPair posted:

I think this essentially gets to the heart of the matter. The show, ostensibly, is supposed to be about how this half-human, half-spacerock child interacts with his world with the opera as a backdrop. But over the past... while... (I don't know when seasons split anymore and I don't really care) the gems have stayed off in the temple or farm and the humans have been in town and there's been zero interaction. Seeing how the gems/gem stuff is forced to fit into society (like the beach volleyball vs. the Pizza family episode or Frybo) is entertaining. Low-key conflict resolution (Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service), not so much.

Beach City needs the gems and all their weirdness to be an engaging landscape. What I'm saying is KEEP BEACH CITY WEIRD!

Ronaldo hasn't updated http://keepbeachcityweird.tumblr.com/ since July. :(

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

It's probably cause of that girlfriend of his.

Ugh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The gems have mostly stayed in their temple or in the vicinity if a warp pad in some old gem ruin for the bulk of the last 5,000 years, there hasn't really been much of a reason for them to interact with the rest of the town. Even during the Homeworld invasion, they knocked out power and prompted an evacuation, but they never ventured far enough from the temple to actually encounter the rest of Beach City. Even when the townsfolk seek out the gems, it's always Steven who answers the door; he's their buffer between them and the rest of human civilization, and it seems like he's mostly grown out of trying to treat the gems like humans and show them the glories of terrestrial living.

Maybe Peridot and Lapis might need to venture out for supplies or Amethyst will go off the reservation again, but other than that, I don't see much reason for the two worlds to collide again.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The gems have mostly stayed in their temple or in the vicinity if a warp pad in some old gem ruin for the bulk of the last 5,000 years, there hasn't really been much of a reason for them to interact with the rest of the town. Even during the Homeworld invasion, they knocked out power and prompted an evacuation, but they never ventured far enough from the temple to actually encounter the rest of Beach City. Even when the townsfolk seek out the gems, it's always Steven who answers the door; he's their buffer between them and the rest of human civilization, and it seems like he's mostly grown out of trying to treat the gems like humans and show them the glories of terrestrial living.

Maybe Peridot and Lapis might need to venture out for supplies or Amethyst will go off the reservation again, but other than that, I don't see much reason for the two worlds to collide again.

Hmm, the amount of time Amethyst spends out doing stuff in Beach City these days is one of those unknowns, like we hope she continued to keep up with Vidalia after reconnecting with her, she presumably still wrestles since she mentions it again in Back to the Barn, other than that we're just not sure

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's about time that we got a new Tiger Millionaire episode.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Rhonne posted:

One of the confirmed episode titles is Tiger Philanthropist.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Neopie posted:

One of the confirmed episode titles is Tiger Philanthropist.

it's literally the only remaining confirmed episode title (though I don't see it being the next episode, given that the few season 4 titles that got leaked weren't in order and skipped a few)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rhonne posted:

It was about time right after Tiger Millionaire aired.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I could totally rave to another Sour Cream episode.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 15, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like to see him in the background fishing with his stepdad. Yellowtail is accepting of his career path so SC compromises and goes fishing with him every now and then as a bonding exercise :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think there are any bad episodes, just some significantly less good than others.