Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I've had to do this a few times so it's finally getting on my nerves enough. When you do a reconciliation and it asks the current balance of your account, is it with or without uncleared items?
Always with cleared items. Uncleared items in YNAB are the same as "pending" transactions and won't yet contribute to the balance you're reconciling to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I usually wait for everything to clear, or I work it in (remove a pending transaction, reconcile, add it back). Though that's uncommon.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
The announcement of the Alexa integration pushed me to try out financier.io. Stuff like that vs adding in missing features really seems to highlight where their priorities are. Seems like nynab will never really catch up to 4

Gonna take me so long to reset everything up though. :emo:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is there a good rundown on what features are there for Financier that aren't there for ynab and vice Versa?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The latest weekly roundup its titled "A Force For Good, Not Guilt (& Why You Should Budget For An Amazon Echo)".

It's just so pathetic...

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
This is making me not want to pull the trigger on free nYMAB for a year as a college student.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
I'm intending to stay in oYNAB (or whatever the old ones called) until they pry it from my cold dead hands. It's too ingrained in my way of working right now to change

I suspect this will be something to do with the dropbox syncing api's stopping working next year, which I heard vaguely about somewhere.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mrchinchin25 posted:

I suspect this will be something to do with the dropbox syncing api's stopping working next year, which I heard vaguely about somewhere.

Are you posting from 2015?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ynab/status/786602838050889728

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread deprecating in this year as opposed to actually turning it off.

How does Financer compare to YNAB4?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Financier is great, $12 a year, syncs and once you get on a roll you won't want to do anything else. I emailed Alex about a password reset issue I had been having and he gingerly made fun of me over the course of two hours while he coded a solution to my problem and fixed it at like 11 PM on a Sunday.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does it have a mobile app? Or only a web view? And is it possible to import my data there from nYNAB?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

cryptoclastic posted:

Does it have a mobile app? Or only a web view? And is it possible to import my data there from nYNAB?

No, yes, I don't know.

It's great though!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Does it have automatic import?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

No, yes, I don't know.

It's great though!

Any idea if there's a way to change how the mobile site looks? This is the transaction page.

It really sorta sucks not having any idea as to what is going where. "....." is not helpful at all. And I usually only input on the phone with YNAB right now.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Is there a graceful way of handling Scheduled Transactions that have variable amounts?

I currently have a monthly transaction for Utilities, which can vary between $90 to $130 or so depending on the month (AC usage and such), and I currently just adjust the amount when I get the actual bill which seems like the most sensible solution.

Obviously I can't expect YNAB to know how much I'll owe, but I can't find information on if there's a specific feature to handle this case, I don't think there is, but I assumed there would be since it's not exactly an uncommon situation for most people.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fano posted:

Is there a graceful way of handling Scheduled Transactions that have variable amounts?

I currently have a monthly transaction for Utilities, which can vary between $90 to $130 or so depending on the month (AC usage and such), and I currently just adjust the amount when I get the actual bill which seems like the most sensible solution.

Obviously I can't expect YNAB to know how much I'll owe, but I can't find information on if there's a specific feature to handle this case, I don't think there is, but I assumed there would be since it's not exactly an uncommon situation for most people.

Assuming you're taking about YNAB4, you can pre-fill open budget columns with the average of the last 3 months. Otherwise switch your utility bill to budget billing or just keep doing what you're doing. You can estimate based on previous years too.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

Assuming you're taking about YNAB4, you can pre-fill open budget columns with the average of the last 3 months. Otherwise switch your utility bill to budget billing or just keep doing what you're doing. You can estimate based on previous years too.

I'm using nYNAB (relatively new user, about 3.5 months in). I like the last-3-months-average idea, which I believe nYNAB supports, I don't know what budget billing is, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Start with 130$ then keep filling it up to that amount each month. You'll actually be topping it up by the amount of your bill each month, yet have a full 130$ budgeted.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Start with 130$ then keep filling it up to that amount each month. You'll actually be topping it up by the amount of your bill each month, yet have a full 130$ budgeted.

Yep if you can afford this do it. I have lots of categories like this, and it has basically made it so that I am buffered an extra month in variable categories, and I never get caught off guard when a bigger expense happens.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

that's an interesting idea.

I do utilities by getting the bill on the 18th, immediately budgeting that amount of money for next month, then waiting until the 1st to pay it. This is of course not automatic in any way but it keeps the line clean and lets me see the cost trends

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
How are people doing Venmo transactions? Are you treating Venmo as a separate account, and transferring money from the real bank account? It seems like extra steps but I do want to keep track of my category spending, and if I let venmo transactions aggregate over time I won't know.

I don't do a lot of Venmo transactions but I'll pay my friend for my share of drinks at trivia or my coworkers will pay me if I bought a get well gift for our boss, that sort of thing.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Defenestration posted:

How are people doing Venmo transactions? Are you treating Venmo as a separate account, and transferring money from the real bank account? It seems like extra steps but I do want to keep track of my category spending, and if I let venmo transactions aggregate over time I won't know.

I don't do a lot of Venmo transactions but I'll pay my friend for my share of drinks at trivia or my coworkers will pay me if I bought a get well gift for our boss, that sort of thing.

I don't ever keep a balance on Venmo, so every time I pay or get paid, it records as a transaction on my checking and I treat it as such. If you keep a balance, you should have it as a separate account.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I tried migrating to nYNAB last night for shits and giggles, it said I had like -$23,000 yet-to-be-assigned this month and then after reshuffling the obvious category fuckups I was somehow overspent by $900, basically (but not quite!) the equivalent outstanding balance on my one active credit card. I don't even have a credit card payment line for that account, somehow, either, so, who the hell knows. I don't want to redo my entire budget, and lose my happy bar graph of fun net worth increases just to make this work.

Basically gently caress nYNAB, YNAB4 4 lyfe.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 14, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/financier_io/status/800211893705056256

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
The converter worked perfectly for me, so I look forward to using financier in the future. I'm not quite ready to switch away from ynab4 but I'll definitely be recommending financier to my friends who never bought ynab in the first place as it looks quite nice and I'm not liking where nynab is headed.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

God drat it. I just finished remaking my budget in financier.

Except I can't figure out how to clear my existing credit card balances. Put in the initial balance, and then entered the transfer to the cc account when I actually paid it, but now I have the pre-financier debt categories which it wants me to pay again.

Can't figure out how to move the money to the cc debt category instead of a transfer to the cc account.

Edit: Does financier support recurring transactions like ynab4 does?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 20, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Edit: Does financier support recurring transactions like ynab4 does?

Not yet, but it's in the to do-list

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah it worked flawlessly for me, too. I'll play around with it and maybe make the switch from YNAB4 at some point.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Signed up with financier! Honestly I would have been happy to give YNAB my money as well, but $12/year is a lot easier to stomach when you've already bought YNAB4. I honestly think they'd be making more money with a lower ask, but I guess they're a lot larger too.

I'm going to maintain both for a while but my wife seems to not care which we use and aside from the mobile experience not being great, I have no real complaints otherwise yet.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
What's the advantage of Financier over YNAB4? It seems like it's just the same thing in a browser window at a better asking price than nYNAB.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

What's the advantage of Financier over YNAB4? It seems like it's just the same thing in a browser window at a better asking price than nYNAB.

well it's actively being worked on by a responsive dev while development on YNAB4 is all but abandoned, for one.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

well it's actively being worked on by a responsive dev while development on YNAB4 is all but abandoned, for one.

Eh. While I agree, the dude who's been building the nYNAB plugin has fixed their broken product for them.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Is there an option to import bank data (ofx file) into Financier?

Edit:

Doesn't look like it's supported at this time, but the dev is working on it. So far it's looking really good, it managed to import my YNAB4 budget without any issues. As soon as Financier hits feature parity (or at least ofx import + mobile) then I'll be leaving YNAB behind.

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 26, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Anybody having issues with YNAB4 not syncing with the cloud? It's just been over the past couple days or so, but I haven't changed any settings.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah mine isn't working with Dropbox either, at least not the iPad version.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Working fine for me with Dropbox/Android/desktop

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:D

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

great job hoss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

I am trying to do this but I include my outstanding mortgage balance in YNAB. :hardmode: