Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

The TV show being referenced is "Incomplete Life", a very popular office drama that was running a couple of years ago. It's based off of an equally popular webcomic, if that's not nerdy enough for you.

I've always found the South Korean obsession with negative international statistics to be fascinating. They feature all the time on news shows, and are constantly invoked as the justification for some political policy or other, which almost always has the side effect of loving up some other random statistic for people to complain about later. I contrast this to my own country, which has our own collection of horrible statistics that we never talk about, and any time someone does the response from the talking heads is just "duh American exceptionalism dumb-rear end clearly this problem is unsolvable". And that's assuming they'll even acknowledge a problem exists at all.

Like, I did not realize we are the worst country in the world for auto accidents until I saw a graphic where Koreans were panicking about being number three. It's just surreal. Especially when idiot expats repurpose these statistics in an attempt to claim the country is some sort of monstrous hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

The TV show being referenced is "Incomplete Life", a very popular office drama that was running a couple of years ago. It's based off of an equally popular webcomic, if that's not nerdy enough for you.

You made me look it up, and now I'm a little irked that the company I work for wasn't able to license Incomplete Life (but we did spend too much money for Goblin!).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (December 16, 1969)

Funky WinkerNOIR

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (February 5-6, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 2, 1930)

Peanuts: Year Five (September 5-7, 1955)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I swear to god if I had the photoshop skills time and talent I would add Popeye to every single strip threatening every dumb character to get on with it lest he twisks their neck

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Takeshobo is their publisher :eng101:

Honey Come Chatka

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PTE is definitely the more comprehensible of the two.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The cockroach heard the beautiful music of Honey Come Chatka and became a real girl.

Also that PTE is one of my favorites.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Synthbuttrange posted:

PTE is definitely the more comprehensible of the two.

It varies day to day but imo it's the other way around most of the time. I think it's because Honey Come Chatka's premise keeps it focused while PTE is a lot more open ended.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honey Come Chatka makes perfect sense once you realize it's the j-pop equivalent of Metalocalypse.

Side A is what's happening to the band, Side B is their crazy fans who think they're gods whose music can heal the sick and perform reverse kafkas.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 5-6, 1930)

If I knew what the thing hanging off the table was supposed to be, would I get this one? Or am I just dumb?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CaptainCaveman posted:

If I knew what the thing hanging off the table was supposed to be, would I get this one? Or am I just dumb?

I think maybe it's a belt, and he's really late getting home so his dinner's waiting for him but also he's going to be beaten for not being on time?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I believe it is a leather strap designed for conditioning a shaving razor but being put into service for implying some imminent punishment child abuse

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Perhaps, but guess where you are.

Kennel posted:

Are you ready for a Christmas Miracle?!

Is that a Pikachu?

Nenonen posted:

Yes, there's a cat, a dog and a goldfish. And they're the worst in this cartoon, right after Jesus, Viet Nam Vets and old timey rock'n'roll nostalgy.

and a giant bobble-head on a woman's body that likes music older than my parents (and I'm 35).

WickedHate posted:

Pop Team Epic

Takeshobo is their publisher :eng101:

Honey Come Chatka

From the descriptions, i thought I would hate this comic and not "get" it, but I'm loving it so far! As RandomFerret said above, it's a Metalocalypse-level parody of Japanese Pop-Idol worship. Please keep posting it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mastersord posted:

Is that a Pikachu?

I would support a Nancy reboot set in the Pokemon universe. With a different author.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RandomPauI posted:

I would support a Nancy reboot. With a different author.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkerNOIR

Really looks like we're heading for a suicide.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set watches what they eat so it won't fall off the fork.

Working Daze is always embarrassing when it tries to be topical.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix finds a loophole.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

And you thought that the floors in movie theaters were sticky.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord posted:

I do want to see that movie, it looks like delightful '60's camp, even if it's a really bad Modesty Blaise adaptation. There was also that '80's TV pilot that someone posted in here that I haven't finished watching, and My Name is Modesty, which is apparently decent? I haven't seen that either, but Peter O'Donnell was apparently a consultant on it.

You're in luck! It's not hard to find posted in its entirety on YouTube.

Luann

Ok, firstly, aside from the fact that she got Brad's name wrong, she seems awesome. Secondly, a tip for a happy marriage: don't poo poo on your (for all intents and purposes) mother-in-law at your wedding reception after knowing her for all of three seconds.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Phimosissy posted:

I believe it is a leather strap designed for conditioning a shaving razor but being put into service for implying some imminent punishment child abuse

Yep, it's a razor strop, a common way back then to punish children.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/370702502693?clk_rvr_id=1139351977010&vectorid=229508&item=370702502693&rmvSB=true

My dad was born in 1923, and felt one up his backside from his mother occasionally (my grandfather, from all accounts, was a gentle man and not the one to be feared in that family -- by the time I came along in the 1960s, grandmother was threatening the grandchildren and great-grandchildren with a strip of tin).

I really like Out Our Way and as well as The Gay Thirties and the vintage They'll do It Every time (thanks, posters who post them!!!) because they fall right into the era when my parents (and grandfather) were the ages of the kids/young people featured in them. Once school ends for the semester, I'll have to dig out some of the pictures I have of my dad and grandfather from those eras because on the one hand they look just like the ragamuffin hell raising kids in Out our Way and on the other, my dad really did look like one of those weird 'adult-children' as young men and women are depicted in The Gay Thirties

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkerNOIR

The lead actress of a major motion picture is going to kill herself because a single tabloid once said she was in a relationship with her co-star? Am I following this right? I'm only half-reading these.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is always embarrassing when it tries to be topical.

So she's the boss and all but just wears a tanktop under her suit jacket? Unless that's just a coloring error.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nancy

Kennel fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 14, 2016

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Working Daze is like a little bratty kid who says stuff to people like "Good idea... for a DUMB IDIOT!" and thinks he laid some kind of sick burn on you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nancy

[/quote]

Judging by that lightning bolt on the forehead, that kitten might be Harry Potter.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

How does EB White raise spiders in a barn in Maine located in NYC? Am I reading this wrong?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bean_shadow posted:

How does EB White raise spiders in a barn in Maine located in NYC? Am I reading this wrong?

They were found in a Maine barn, but reared in NYC.

mastersord posted:

From the descriptions, i thought I would hate this comic and not "get" it, but I'm loving it so far! As RandomFerret said above, it's a Metalocalypse-level parody of Japanese Pop-Idol worship. Please keep posting it.

I shall! :blush:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bean_shadow posted:

I have been asked to tell how I came to write "Charlotte's Web". Well, I like animals, and it would be odd if I failed to write about them. Animals are a weakness with me, and when I got a place in the country I was quite sure animals would appear, and they did.

A farm is a peculiar problem for a man who likes animals, because the fate of most livestock is that they are murdered by their benefactors. The creatures may live serenely but they end violently, and the odor of doom hangs about them always. I have kept several pigs, starting them in spring as weanlings and carrying trays to them all through the summer and fall. The relationship bothered me. Day by day I became better acquainted with my pig, and he with me, and the fact that the whole adventure pointed toward an eventual place of double-dealing on my part lent an eerie quality to this thing. I do not like to betray a person or a creature, and I tend to agree with Mr. E.M. Forster that in these times the duty of a man, above all else, is to be reliable. It used to be clear to me, slopping a pig, that as far as the pig was concerned I could not be counted on, and this, as I say, troubled me. Anyway, the theme of "Charlotte's Web" is that a pig shall be saved, and I have an idea somewhere deep inside me there was a wish to that effect.

As for Charlotte herself, I had never paid much attention to spiders until a few years ago. Once you being watching spiders, you haven't time for much else --- the world is really loaded with them. I do not find them repulsive or revolting, any more than I find anything in nature repulsive or revolting, and I think it is too bad that children are often corrupted by their elders in this hate campaign. Spiders are skilful, amusing, and useful, and only in rare instances has anybody ever come to grief because of a spider.

One cold October evening I was lucky enough to see Aranea Cavatica spin her egg sac and deposit her eggs. (I did not know her name at the time, but I admired her, and later Mr. Willie J. Gertach of the American Museum of Natural History told me her name.) When I saw that she was fixing to be a mother, I got a stepladder and an extension light and had an excellent view of the whole business. A few days later, when it was time to return to New York, not wishing to part with my spider, I took a razor blade, cut the sac adrift from the underside of the shed roof, put spider and sac in a candy box, and carried them to town. I tossed the box on my dresser. Some weeks later I was surprised and pleased to find that Charlotte's daughters were emerging from the air holes in the cover of the box. They strung tiny lines from my comb to my brush, from my brush to my mirror, and from my mirror to my nail scissors. They were very busy and almost invisible, they were so small. We all lived together happily for a couple of weeks, then somebody whose duty it was to dust my dresser balked, and I broke up the show.

At the present time, three of Charlotte's granddaughters are trapping at the foot of the stairs in my barn cellar, where the morning light, coming through the east window, illuminates their embroidery and makes it seem even more wonderful than it is.

I haven't told why I wrote the book, but I haven't told why I sneeze, either. A book is a sneeze.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 5, 1994)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

I love what this comic has come to.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CaptainCaveman posted:

It's obviously a cow tool.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

If he had said "it's a sheep in wolf's clothing" this might have almost been considered a joke

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Batman and Robin

Merry Christmas, criminals!

Calvin and Hobbes

I've yawned both all four times I read this one this morning. Further news as it develops.

Ripley's

Helpfully omitted: any mention of whether either of them lived in the vicinity of New Orleans.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I've yawned both all four times I read this one this morning. Further news as it develops.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (November, 1915, click for big)

Illustrated Comical Joke (1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (August, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1956, click for big)

This is ahh... poor cropping job.

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Illustrated Comical Joke is on its way out, so I'm bringing back an old favorite. Most of these have probably been posted, but it was over three years ago, so I think it's okay. Some strips I have are in the original language, so if one of the many Swedish speakers here could get in touch, I'd appreciate it. Or, you know, google translate.

Pyton (click for bigger)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pyton! :kimchi:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Phimosissy posted:

The prevalence of spanking in older comics always kind of creeps me out. Especially in "Wee Pals" since it seems to appear so often. "Out Our Way" I usually enjoy so this is a bit jarring.

Alright - I admit I laughed at this one.

• Locked thread