Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So I just beat the game, and the ending was pretty good. Can't imagine just how impactful it would have been had the story gotten the much needed development and fleshing out that it wanted and needed.

So was that supposed to be Noct and Luna able to be together in the afterlife or an alternate timeline or what? I didn't really get that part.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Augus posted:

Oh dear, just got to chapter 9. The development cycle was not kind to Altissia, huh?

I thought it was really impressive designing that whole fancy city, when you're only going to be there for such a brief time. If anything, while unexpected that you didn't hang out there and do more side-quests (would you boat to a nearby island for that or something?), it's something that seems like it had more time put into it than would be expected, proportionally.

bewilderment posted:

Unlike Kingsglaive, Brotherhood is good and worth watching. Makes Noctis seem like a dick to Ignis for a bit, though.

I think Kingsglaive is pretty cool, was a tense thriller in some ways, knowing the inevitable conclusion. Plus then there's a bonus crazy action movie after that conclusion.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 14, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heavy Metal posted:

I thought it was really impressive designing that whole fancy city, when you're only going to be there for such a brief time. If anything, while unexpected that you didn't hang out there and do more side-quests (would you boat to a nearby island for that or something?), it's something that seems like it had more time put into it than would be expected, proportionally.

The first thing I noticed, after the gate being beautiful, was that Cid's boat was bigger than most of the buildings. The scale was totally borked

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Augus posted:

The first thing I noticed, after the gate being beautiful, was that Cid's boat was bigger than most of the buildings. The scale was totally borked

In classic JRPGs the houses are bigger on the inside, maybe scale borking is something we could use more of in games today. I thought it was fun to jump around this kooky little city anyway.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
So I'm coming up on the end of chapter 13, and decided to go back and clean up side missions, hunts, and try to just get all the weapons in general.

And then I found out that after chapter 2 I never got the Circular Saw from that boss. And everything I've read says that the only way to get that weapon is a 100% drop rate from that one boss fight. Welp. Hopefully they patch in NG+ soon!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FAUXTON posted:

Same terrace as the goonlord photo quest guy in Lestallum, but out towards the gas station/hotel side of town. There's some picnic tables and a couple popcorn stand looking things, and if you creep around there you'll notice someone eating it and Specs will get it.

Just making sure you know that Goonlord is a hot Hollywood actor from the show Lost, who was also on the cover of a Weezer album

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So while fighting a losing battle against a lvl 50 optional boss, a summon comes in and deals enough damage for Noct to finish it off with a single warp strike. That was unexpected.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Does weapon switching mid-combo actually accomplish anything other than looking cool like a damage boost or something? It feels weird to me there's an accessory for automatic weapon swaps when there's rarely an incentive to do so, at least in my playstyle

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

Does weapon switching mid-combo actually accomplish anything other than looking cool like a damage boost or something? It feels weird to me there's an accessory for automatic weapon swaps when there's rarely an incentive to do so, at least in my playstyle

It's easier to pull off some attacks. For example, the 360 sweep with the great sword that happens if you attack with the GS right as the weapon fades away as you stop attacking. If you use the GS, then you need to deal with its animations. If you use the normal sword but switch to the GS and attack again before Noct puts the sword away, which has a much shorter animation, he'll still do the sweep.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Oh yeah I did do that early on. But ever since I got Ultima Blade I haven't found any other weapon types other than royal arms worth using

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Type-F is a lot of fun, even if landing is crazy dangerous.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished chapter 9.

It's me I'm the anime

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was having trouble beating the Malbodoom, until I realised I could just stand on a rock and cast Blizzaga then smack it around while the Vesperpool was frozen solid. If only I could have ordered my bros to do the same, it would have gone a lot quicker...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This games story made a lot more sense to me when I realized I was playing Xenogears 2 without the giant robots.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I was having trouble beating the Malbodoom, until I realised I could just stand on a rock and cast Blizzaga then smack it around while the Vesperpool was frozen solid. If only I could have ordered my bros to do the same, it would have gone a lot quicker...

Yeah I figured that out after freezing everyone, including myself, for like 30 loving seconds.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm having some trouble figuring out the movesets...

Does each weapon have a unique moveset depending on if you're holding towards a locked on enemy, away from a locked on enemy, or just pressing O? What about in the air?

I'm used to playing a lot of action games and the combat in this is simplified enough that you don't need to know what you're doing but I'd like to

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does each weapon have a unique moveset depending on if you're holding towards a locked on enemy, away from a locked on enemy, or just pressing O? What about in the air?

I'm used to playing a lot of action games and the combat in this is simplified enough that you don't need to know what you're doing but I'd like to

The moves are:

Forward + O This is usually a variation of the regular combo that's faster. For Polearms it launches you into the air.
Backwards + O This is usually a charged attack(Hold the stick back)
Pause after an attack then press O This is usually a strong attack that breaks and staggers enemies easily. For Greatsword it's an AoE.

A few weapons have Sideways + O as well. Daggers do a sidestep and Polearms do a horizontal swipe combo.

In the air pushing a direction + O does an air jump(if you have it from the skill tree), though only Swords and Polearms can use it.

As far as I know there are no weapons with unique moves besides the Royal Arms, Machinery, and a specific gun.

This Guy's Videos show off the movesets for most of the weapon types.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 14, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Neutral combo, left/right combo, backwards combo, air combo. I think that's about it. There's also a 'just' combo, where you can trigger special moves by waiting to press O til just around when Noct starts to put away his weapon I think. Notably for greatswords it means a sweep that's great for AoE.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I just beat the Bennu, and promptly fell through the world. :five:

About 30 seconds later:
Gladio: Real nice here.
Noct: Yeah.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Heavy Metal posted:

Just making sure you know that Goonlord is a hot Hollywood actor from the show Lost, who was also on the cover of a Weezer album

Hurley was a goonlord on Lost and holy poo poo Weezer didn't just disintegrate and fade into the breeze after that god awful sweater song?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I started a second playthrough because I got tired of being overleveled. It's actually REALLY fun taking out monsters over twice your level WAY before you're supposed to (and getting poo poo EXP for it). So far I've managed to take out an Lv. 30 Iron Giant alongside two waves of Bombs at level 10 and the Lv. 54 Midgardsormr at level 20. Hilariously, Gladio and Ignis went down early against the Midgardsormr so it was just Noctis and Prompto picking on a snake and chugging potions until the sun set.

Basically what I'm saying is fighting single enemies is really fun guys.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

So was that supposed to be Noct and Luna able to be together in the afterlife or an alternate timeline or what? I didn't really get that part.

I interpreted it as the afterlife, yeah. The exact nature of that afterlife - whether it's a god-ruled heaven or the inside of the crystal or whatever - doesn't really matter. To save the world and beat the Empire Noctis has to dissolve the monarchy, so it's necessary for the line of Lucis to end, which makes him a heroic martyr. Afterlifes exist to convince us that there's justice for people like that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I tend to find almost all video games stories ignore-able at best, but I do like action RPG's and RPG systems and have enjoyed past Final Fantasy games, especially 12 -- I liked setting up elaborate If->Then action chains with the gambit system. Would FFXV be a good game for me?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I tend to find almost all video games stories ignore-able at best, but I do like action RPG's and RPG systems and have enjoyed past Final Fantasy games, especially 12 -- I liked setting up elaborate If->Then action chains with the gambit system. Would FFXV be a good game for me?

Maybe? You're in direct control of all actions unlike FFXII, but you have a lot of open world exploration for optional content and quests and grinding (if you want it) like FFXII. The story is just kind of there but does get interesting in bursts. I'm having a absolute blast with the game, I'm at like 80 hours near the end of the game. The combat is super-kinetic and probably the most fun I've had with an action RPG in ages. Warpstrike erryday

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

XV seems tailor made to your tastes - the action is great and the story is bad but very easy to ignore. Not a lot is keeping you from reaching lv. 50 in chapter 3.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're not able to influence your allies in any way besides calling on them to do special attacks.

That being said, combat is super fun, especially when you compare it to the slog that is XII. And since you tend to ignore the story, you'll probably like this game a lot, since the best part about this game is questing and road tripping with your bros.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
So I've beaten the game and cleared all of the optional quests I know how to acquire. I'm level 80, I think. I've beaten the Chapter 15 sidequests and Pitioss, and I have the platinum trophy for the game, so I'd say it was a pretty complete experience in terms of developing a fully-formed opinion. Not that you need credentials to offer opinions I guess.

FFXV is probably the most fun mainline Final Fantasy I've ever played. Mechanically it's just a treat. There are issues that get sadly highlighted in some of the game's key encounters, but the combat system is both engaging and enjoyable and sustained my interest for over 70 hours. Fighting large groups of enemies or fighting a singular giant enemy, the nuts and bolts of combat are just really fun. It's nice. The Adamantoise battle is undercut by the scale of that fight working against the actual battle system in every conceivable way, which sucks. Also, the anime power-up that Noctis gets for Leviathan and for Ardyn's second phase is a novelty that quickly wears out its welcome considering how time-consuming those battles are, particularly Leviathan. The toughest enemy I fought, a level 120 Naglfar, was, on the other hand, an excellent challenge and a fun battle, as were most of the battles and hunts present in the game.

The presentation could use some work, with menu bloat and an obnoxious prompt to BLOCK!! being the two most notable offenders; the menu has its own music (?) and it's own fully-realized environment for the models of the characters to hang out in (???), which is... cool? I guess? Some things are just really strange, like trying to back out of Elemancy (you can't unless you empty all the elements you had been loving around with back into your mana pool or whatever) or fast traveling (which has too many steps, all in service of a car that most people forget exists until it can fly). The initial load time is relatively long, but I haven't had problems with load times otherwise, and even on startup it's not like it's a two minute affair. (I play on a PS4 that I bought with the Uncharted Collection, but isn't the Uncharted PS4? It still has buttons you can push in to power it on/eject discs instead of just the touch/swipe thing. It's also not a PS4 Pro. I'm not sure how helpful if at all this has been.)

Graphically the game is incredible. There's very little to say beyond praise. The aesthetic of Lucis's disparate parts was interesting and thoughtful. Insomnia's urban citadel produced people who looked like mafiosos who fell through a clothing rack in a trendy Shibuya shop, which tends to be Nomura's default setting. The women of Lestallum generally wear their heat suits and comfortable nonsense otherwise. Cid looks like a genuine mechanic. Weskham, and Altissian citizens in general, are very much the ritzy republicans that their architecture would suggest they are. The environments are expansive without being overwhelming. I actually really liked the balance they struck from Chapter 3 onwards, where the game is big but not too big; I find games like The Witcher 3 and most Elder Scrolls/latter-day Fallout games to be distracting in their size instead of being excited to do all the stuff there is to do.

So questing sucks. There are a whole lot of pointless fetching quests, and you as the player are encouraged to keep Repair Kits, Potions, and Antidotes on you at all times not for yourself but to insta-complete scavenger-hunt busywork that feels bad to complete and is vastly over-rewarding. Doing any side content at all will drastically over-level you, as well, which I think is or has been addressed with the ability to cap yourself on EXP? I didn't play the game that way so perhaps it improves on a second go. The story and the main quest chain are to my mind actually really good until the conclusion of Chapter 9, which was fine in itself. Everything after that is a mess of incompleteness and haphazard delivery, very obviously the part of the game they were loving around with until Tabata showed up and shipped the drat game. It has redeeming qualities, but in general the back half of FFXV's story quest is unsatisfying and uninteresting.

The soundtrack is among the best of any Final Fantasy ever. The separate battle themes in Leide, Duscae, and Cleigne are all great, and you'll hear them a lot. The title theme is great. The various leitmotifs you hear are all great. I'm not even going to include the options to listen to iconic tracks from every other mainline FF on your portable MP3 player or in your car, but those options bear mention. The sound design is generally without fault - effects have satisfying oomph and weight behind them, with clashing noises and impact noises that translate well into the rest of the experience. The English voice acting is serviceable in some cases and outstanding in others - most of Noctis's voice work in particular stands out as being very good without being intrusive, and Ardyn, Cid, Lunafreya, and Prompto also shine.

It's weird how FFXV feels like more than the sum of its parts. A game with a clunky interface, bad questing, and narrative problems throughout what should be the climax sounds like the definition, or at least a good recipe (recipey?) for a bad goddamn game, but FFXV nails a lot of the little details that make it work even when it should not. I'm not giving this game a free pass just for existing and being a not-poo poo mainline FF that isn't an MMO; if anything I like to approach things I like critically. Final Fantasy XV is a great game that borders on truly excellent when it is firing on all cylinders, and merely good game at the times where it is not. I'd give it a solid A-.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 14, 2016

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm of the same opinion really. I can see a lot of the flaws of this game, but when it comes down to it, I've had the most fun with this one out of any mainline Final Fantasy since probably 9. It was a super fun experience to play.

Also, it might be too late for you, but I think you can back out of the elemency menu with the triangle button. I think I found out accidentally trying to back out of that stupid thing and basically button mashing. Super counter intuitive but hey, I guess I'll take it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A good review which is pretty much where I stand on the game. The only other comment I'd add is the massive gulf between the five main characters and pretty much every other character in the game. I probably cared about the bros more than any other Final Fantasy character ever and Ardyn was one of the better villains but Jesus loving Christ the rest of the cast were almost comically pointless. Who the hell was Loqi and why did he get a name? Why was everyone so excited about running errand for Talcott? Who is the guy with glasses at Cape Caem who snuck his way into my group photo? Why did I risk my life attacking an imperial base to avenge some old guy?

Aranea, Biggs and Wedge were pretty cool though and I would have liked to see more of them. Hopefully we get some DLC set in the World of Ruin where we get to spend more time with them.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Who was the scheming rear end old dude in one of the first cutscenes?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Emron posted:

Iedolas maybe? Emperor of Niflheim

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Emron posted:

This guy?

His name is Verstael. He is the guy who built the original MTs and is Niff's top researcher.

According to a guide, he is also Prompto's biological dad.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Iris was awesome and I hope there is more DLC involving her and Aranea going on adventures!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Camping guitar\piano theme is easily my favorite of any in the series.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Only on chapter 7 but the thread has mentioned numerous times about a cutscene later on (10? 13?) where the audio mixing is really poorly done. With that in mind how do people have their audio levels set up?

I will say even though I soured on this game pretty quickly, it's gotten me to consider giving XII a second fifth chance. Another game with open areas and hunting sidequests I semi-enjoyed and also was eternally poor in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My audio mixing is that I have subtitles on.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terper posted:

My audio mixing is that I have subtitles on.

yeah, I couldn't operate without them

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Just took a trip on a boat and now understand why there isn't a point of no return. My question is... do you only return to the open world through that mechanic for the rest of the game now?

melodicwaffle posted:

I will say even though I soured on this game pretty quickly, it's gotten me to consider giving XII a second fifth chance. Another game with open areas and hunting sidequests I semi-enjoyed and also was eternally poor in.

There's a remaster next year (which you may already have been aware of)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Controversial opinion: I like 13's story and characters better than 15 :colbert:

Like I'm getting into chapter 13 and I have no loving clue what's going on.

• Locked thread