Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i'm gonna get that big pig award

edit: oh poo poo snype. john hodgman is (as usual) fantastic on the show this week

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The guests were spectacular. I'm a huge Hayes fanboy, but they both brought a bunch of energy.

I'm excited for the Patreon-based, ad-free Best Show. Dude used to make hundreds and hundreds of thousands for WFMU. I'll definitely sign up.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ManoliIsFat posted:

The guests were spectacular. I'm a huge Hayes fanboy, but they both brought a bunch of energy.

I'm excited for the Patreon-based, ad-free Best Show. Dude used to make hundreds and hundreds of thousands for WFMU. I'll definitely sign up.

I'm glad it's going ad-free. That's how it should be

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I think going donation-only will do incredibly well, but I could also see it falling flat with Tom providing plenty of frustrated commentary. Either way, it feels right for the show.

I wonder if there are plans to build a full podcast network. The Best Show would be a tentpole show again. It'd be like Earwolf minus the funding and focus on musicals.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I am loving the Rocky outro's.

It's no "Tuesday has become Wednesday..." but it'll do.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Man, this is no Four Loko Christmas Spectacular.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I've missed Gary the Squirrel. The shrimp connec-centric Christmas pageant was wonderful.
(Also great to catch up with LDP)

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I think that guy who was calling for Jon Daly was loving around and did not actually mistake him for 3 other people. Makes for a better show if he did, though, I guess.

Also, there will never be another Four Loko Christmas show as that almost killed Tom.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bayonne Christmas was great.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What year was the Four Loko Christmas, 2010?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The original Four Loko incident where Tom was completely out of it before the end of the show was during the Holiday Party of 2010, and the story of the Four Loko Carol was acted out during the Holiday Party of 2012.

I was listening to some old shows recently, and Tom banned a caller named Todd from The Best Show for 11 years. The call was some time around 2006-2008. I wonder if Todd will call when his sentence is up.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I think I'm going to make the 2010 Four Loko episodes an annual listening tradition. The contrast of a sane, sedate Hodgman and an unhinged Tom/Mike is so good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WrathOfBlade posted:

I think I'm going to make the 2010 Four Loko episodes an annual listening tradition. The contrast of a sane, sedate Hodgman and an unhinged Tom/Mike is so good.

I just listened to that episode for the first time myself this week and yeah, I'll put that in my annual rotation.

"I think I'm gonna do the show like this every week! I'm done with the old show, this is the new show!"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 26, 2016

HarlequinRatDance
Dec 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
hi i'm dare

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Okay. You should call Tom Scharpling next Tuesday (January Third) between 9 and Midnight eastern time at 201-332-3484 to talk about that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What the hell?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hey dude

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
And now I'll be able to put on my tombstone that I was the second person to support The Best Show's Patreon (after @sparkiepop).

https://www.patreon.com/TheBestShow/

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The Bunk posted:

And now I'll be able to put on my tombstone that I was the second person to support The Best Show's Patreon (after @sparkiepop).

https://www.patreon.com/TheBestShow/

Just saw this. Can't wait for what the exclusive audio content might be.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Binowru posted:

Just saw this. Can't wait for what the exclusive audio content might be.

More episodes of Gary the Squirrels Broadcaating Boot Camp

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

More episodes of Gary the Squirrels Broadcaating Boot Camp

Maybe the other guys will do stuff. Dudio could put out a "Greatest Distracting Laughs from the Next Room" mix supercut.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Bobby Joe, the afro-having toilet driver who tells you to never pay attention

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Looks like the Patreon is going well. I wonder how big the bump will be after the first new show.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/TheBestShow

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
14 grand a month is a pretty nice chunk of change, that's gotta be way more than Tom was making with ads.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's probably a little bit in shock and kicking himself in the butt for not making a patreon earlier. I wonder if he makes enough he could just get rid of the ads. I'm sure both he and his fans would like that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

veni veni veni posted:

He's probably a little bit in shock and kicking himself in the butt for not making a patreon earlier. I wonder if he makes enough he could just get rid of the ads. I'm sure both he and his fans would like that.

He's been quite explicit that "just getting rid of the ads" is the whole point of going this route.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

24/7 is live. And yeah there won't be any more ads at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh that's excellent. It's not even that ads bug me, he just clearly hates them so much and it didn't mesh with the spirit of the show.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It's weird, I said a long time ago he should've went the kickstarter/patreon route (did patreon exist then?) when he was relaunching the show and running into all those difficulties but he seemed too proud to try that. I could be wrong about his motivations as to why he didn't use crowdfunding but It seemed like a layup to me. Podcast ads suck and they don't gel with his show at all and from what little I know I'm pretty sure they pay a lot worse if you're not part of a podcast network. He has a dedicated fanbase who obviously would pay to support the podcast. He could've avoided a lot of the headaches by setting this up earlier but that's his choice. I hope that if he makes some decent money off of the Patreon he'll cut in Mike on some of it. Mike is a big part of the show to me and he didn't seem to be doing so hot financially recently according to one of those half hour of powers.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mike said on twitter that supporting through Patreon will get him some cash:

https://twitter.com/APMike/status/815037349998592004

I assume Tom is going to pay himself, Jason, Mike, Pat etc. with the Patreon money.

http://thebestshow.net/247/
I probably could have posted that link when I said it was live but oh well here you go

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Someone should make a new thread. The op is dead and gay and he died in a car crash from a homo sucking how dick

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?

Seltzer posted:

It's weird, I said a long time ago he should've went the kickstarter/patreon route (did patreon exist then?) when he was relaunching the show and running into all those difficulties but he seemed too proud to try that. I could be wrong about his motivations as to why he didn't use crowdfunding but It seemed like a layup to me. Podcast ads suck and they don't gel with his show at all and from what little I know I'm pretty sure they pay a lot worse if you're not part of a podcast network. He has a dedicated fanbase who obviously would pay to support the podcast. He could've avoided a lot of the headaches by setting this up earlier but that's his choice. I hope that if he makes some decent money off of the Patreon he'll cut in Mike on some of it. Mike is a big part of the show to me and he didn't seem to be doing so hot financially recently according to one of those half hour of powers.

As soon as people start paying for something, though, their relationship with it changes. Hopefully donors don't start expecting preferential treatment on the phone or getting pissed when Tom needs a week off.

Edit: is there an app for the 24/7 stream? I want to play it on my phone while while still, you know, being able to do phone stuff.

Doughy Fresh fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 2, 2017

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Doughy Fresh posted:

Edit: is there an app for the 24/7 stream? I want to play it on my phone while while still, you know, being able to do phone stuff.

Chrome on the iPhone will keep the stream open in the background while you're using other apps.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Doughy Fresh posted:

As soon as people start paying for something, though, their relationship with it changes. Hopefully donors don't start expecting preferential treatment on the phone or getting pissed when Tom needs a week off.

I guess that could happen, but the Best Show has a well-established fan base and a culture that respects him, rather than a bunch of lovely internet randos that want their spaceships and titty statues now.

Unrelated question: do the 24/7 stream or the Patreon make it possible that we'll get an officially supported archives any time?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Doughy Fresh posted:

Man, even when a podcast is completely free people get pissed off about stuff. I hope Tom is in a decent financial situation now so even if donations aren't as high as expected the show can still go on. That reminds me though of a recent episode where Tom was remarking on a tweet he read. "Oh someone on twitter asks, 'You don't have any more of that Monk money?' Let me answer that for you.... NO." I thought that was pretty funny.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Doughy Fresh posted:

Paying for a Patreon doesn't owe you anything. It's supporting a service that's free and you can cancel any month you want. The same ratio of people will complain whether it's free or not and if he loses 5% of his patreon support because he won't talk to them or whatever it won't matter.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
SPIKE!!!!!!

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Holy poo poo Spike is back

This is the biggest upset return caller short of PFT

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Good lord are this week's callers an exercise in contrasts. Starting the year off with a whole lotta drippy dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Good lord are this week's callers an exercise in contrasts. Starting the year off with a whole lotta drippy dudes.

After the back-to-back Bad Company-ings so early in the show, I started to wonder if it was the beginning of a prepared bit.