Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
Where/when did Caro resurface? Last I heard of him, some Syrian dissident witnessed him being tortured in an Assad dungeon?

edit: found it

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/04/08/473508318/syrian-government-releases-american-held-for-four-years

I'm pretty happy about this, even mentally ill insurgent-wannabes don't deserve a dungeon death.

Look! A Horse! has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

George H.W. oval office posted:

Seriously Caro needs to update his blog

Caro got placed into detainment by the loving CIA, there is a 100% chance that he is in a psych facility and not allowed to use a computer or make phonecalls as part of his treatment. Like, it'd be pretty interesting if he started posting again, but the guy has serious mental health problems that require constant medication and care and he also certainly has PTSD from being kept in what is generally agreed upon to be one of the worst prisons outside of North Korea. The rest of that guys life is going to be hell. He suffers from several mental illnesses that lead to him going into prolonged delusional and manic states, once he gets on a concrete drug regimen he's going to have to face the things that he did in those states and it's not exactly the kind of poo poo people normally do (IE buy a car or gamble a lot).

Look! A Horse! posted:

Where/when did Caro resurface? Last I heard of him, some Syrian dissident witnessed him being tortured in an Assad dungeon?

He got traded back in a prisoner exchange with the CIA a while ago.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Caro got placed into detainment by the loving CIA, there is a 100% chance that he is in a psych facility and not allowed to use a computer or make phonecalls as part of his treatment. Like, it'd be pretty interesting if he started posting again, but the guy has serious mental health problems that require constant medication and care and he also certainly has PTSD from being kept in what is generally agreed upon to be one of the worst prisons outside of North Korea. The rest of that guys life is going to be hell. He suffers from several mental illnesses that lead to him going into prolonged delusional and manic states, once he gets on a concrete drug regimen he's going to have to face the things that he did in those states and it's not exactly the kind of poo poo people normally do (IE buy a car or gamble a lot).

I don't know about how much stock I'd put in that prediction - we have underestimated Caro before.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
oh god, I watched the sunburnt_aphid story go down in real time, but re-reading it is just awful.

After FYAD comes into the heroin thread with some drat good care-posting, Hondarider271 (the loving mod of TCC at the time) posts this:

quote:

I don't know that there are any useful suggestions anyone could possibly give you about getting clean. Rehab is such a loving joke I can't even mention it without the disclaimer that it's really not going to work at all. I know it's probably a lovely thing to say since for many people it is a last resort before death, but if anything will drive you to drug use it is rehab. Try to take a bunch of LSD or something, poo poo, just get off the drat heroin.

So basically the mod of TCC discouraged her from trying rehab and advised her to uhh..take some LSD maybe?? For those who don't know, HondaRider was demodded shortly (for something unrelated, I believe) after and hosed off to one of the offsite forums to bitch constantly about how unfair and fat Ozma is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987795&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=88

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
its about ethics in burnout subforums

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

heh, classic caro

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Look! A Horse! posted:

oh god, I watched the sunburnt_aphid story go down in real time, but re-reading it is just awful.

After FYAD comes into the heroin thread with some drat good care-posting, Hondarider271 (the loving mod of TCC at the time) posts this:

So basically the mod of TCC discouraged her from trying rehab and advised her to uhh..take some LSD maybe?? For those who don't know, HondaRider was demodded shortly (for something unrelated, I believe) after and hosed off to one of the offsite forums to bitch constantly about how unfair and fat Ozma is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987795&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=88

*shakes skeleton madly by the shoulder*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

To be fair, heroin and LSD are very fun drugs. Though I can't imagine how horrible dosing during withdrawal would be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At least Aphid probably died doing what she enjoyed, shooting heroin into her muscles.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Did Caro kill people? I don't think I ever heard about what he actually did over there. Fro what I recall didn't he pretend to be a medic or something?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

OldTennisCourt posted:

Did Caro kill people? I don't think I ever heard about what he actually did over there. Fro what I recall didn't he pretend to be a medic or something?

He had a sniper rifle with him. Who knows if he ever hit anyone.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

He definitely fired at people, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be-QXSTOLx4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Look! A Horse! posted:

So basically the mod of TCC discouraged her from trying rehab and advised her to uhh..take some LSD maybe?? For those who don't know, HondaRider was demodded shortly (for something unrelated, I believe)

I don't know if that's what the admins claimed but he was definitely demodded for the LSD thing. He went on a big anti-authoritarian rant in QCS and then disappeared in a cloud of meth fumes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Ah, Caro. It's always fun and games with him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

He got traded back in a prisoner exchange with the CIA a while ago.

Pretty sure I saw someone post a link to his latest blog posts in GIP a while back, but after he got out.

Can't find them tho.

E: found it : https://steemit.com/syria/@kpatrickdawes/glasshouse-a-true-story-of-the-arab-spring-part-1

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Dec 14, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like how aware he is that even before he hit Syria he had developed a reputation as a loving loony who no serious fighter on either side wanted anything to do with

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still like how Caro is trotting the 'freelance photographer' line even in that blog post. I don't think I've ever seen any photos he's taken, just that video blog where he was moving between medic and sniper, scaring everyone around him. He probably caused more damage as a medic, as a sort of accidental Mengele.

Still love the complete naïveté as to why everyone who recognized him being full of panic, and that he thinks everyone is a spy. Never change.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

naïveté

I know what you're trying to say here but holy poo poo how did the formatting get so hosed up on that

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still like how Caro is trotting the 'freelance photographer' line even in that blog post. I don't think I've ever seen any photos he's taken, just that video blog where he was moving between medic and sniper, scaring everyone around him. He probably caused more damage as a medic, as a sort of accidental Mengele.

Still love the complete naïveté as to why everyone who recognized him being full of panic, and that he thinks everyone is a spy. Never change.

Didn't he learn the whole 'medic' thing by watching youtube videos then going out to the warzone?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Caro probably accidentally sniped the wrong guys as an amateur sniper, probably accidentally got wounded people killed as an amateur nurse, and probably got people killed by putting a dangerous terrorist back on the streets as a result of having been swapped by the CIA rescue team. One might conclude that Caro's kill count is probably higher than any other goons, no small feat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kelp Me! posted:

I know what you're trying to say here but holy poo poo how did the formatting get so hosed up on that

Yeah that took an asskicking! I saw some others in the SA iPhone app thread say it was struggling with some non-alphabetical characters.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

Caro probably accidentally sniped the wrong guys as an amateur sniper, probably accidentally got wounded people killed as an amateur nurse, and probably got people killed by putting a dangerous terrorist back on the streets as a result of having been swapped by the CIA rescue team. One might conclude that Caro's kill count is probably higher than any other goons, no small feat.

Given that GiP exists and some of those guys have done actual tours, uh nope

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bradzilla posted:

Given that GiP exists and some of those guys have done actual tours, uh nope

I think it's different when that's your actual purpose. Sounds like Caro just decided to go to war one day

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Len posted:

I think it's different when that's your actual purpose. Sounds like Caro just decided to go to war one day

Well it was a long, slow build up of nutty-rear end delusions but yea, he did decide to go off to war. He's certainly seen more poo poo than probably anybody else on here, Goons in Platoons possibly included in that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Len posted:

Yeah it's different, he went to be a hero.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Pretty sure I saw someone post a link to his latest blog posts in GIP a while back, but after he got out.

Can't find them tho.

E: found it : https://steemit.com/syria/@kpatrickdawes/glasshouse-a-true-story-of-the-arab-spring-part-1

He sounds just as crazy and delusional here as he did when he still posted on the forums. I guess it's good that being in a Syrian torture prison didn't totally break him but I figured he would've gotten some sort of psychiatric help afterwards

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Rough Lobster posted:

No, no. He'd insist that he's a marksman not a sniper. :grin:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
To be fair to Caro, he did say the CIA were going to get him, so sometimes he's right.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The thing that bothers me about TCC and their dumb-assed version of harm reduction is that it gives actual harm reduction, where you do things like offer safe injection sites for people who use intravenous drugs, or offer them clean needles and have nurses on hand to monitor them in case of an OD, or offer them free drug counseling programs so that they can slowly wean themselves off of the drug a bad name. Needle exchange programs have helped significantly in North American cities and Scandinavian countries that have adopted them. I'd hope people on the forums can differentiate between the idea of a hardcore drug addict's distorted idea of what harm reduction is and what it actually is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean if you look at the statements "use a needle exchange so you don't get HIV and if available go to a safe site so you don't die alone of an overdose in your apartment" and "try LSD to deal with your addiction" and can't tell which one is legitimate advice and which one is loving insane I dunno what to tell you, even if you are a heroin addict.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

I mean if you look at the statements "use a needle exchange so you don't get HIV and if available go to a safe site so you don't die alone of an overdose in your apartment" and "try LSD to deal with your addiction" and can't tell which one is legitimate advice and which one is loving insane I dunno what to tell you, even if you are a heroin addict.

Yeah, everyone knows safe sites are just a way for the cops to bust you later on.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I lust for TCC addict threads. But 90% of it is the most boring circular drug talk. "Gonna buttslam 8cc of dope. Can't wait sooo psyched."

"Dude jealous all I've got is nasty tar I've been eating"

"Eating it is the worst method you need to rear end slam it."

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
They also talk about it like it's an amazing experience, when the goal is to be "nodding hard" on a couch like an invalid until it's over.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Solice Kirsk posted:

To be fair, heroin and LSD are very fun drugs. Though I can't imagine how horrible dosing during withdrawal would be.

"My nigga have you tried LSD" is an excellent catchphrase we have now, thanks to that whole debacle.

Trying LSD to combat heroin withdrawal sounds like hell but It would've been fine (if subpar) advice had it come from any other normal TCC poster. Once you're made a mod, however, your words get held to a much higher standard than before: you've been made the arbitrary-yet-almighty voice of authority on an online forum dedicated exclusively to discussing addictive psychoactive substances.
It was only a matter of time before some late-stage crack addict would follow the second-hand advice of a bored college sophomore with a star next to his name and die as a result, all the while reassuring themselves they were receiving good druggie-to-druggie counseling.

If you're reading this, please hydrate!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Using LSD to treat PTSD is really just TCC invading GiP.

gently caress that's a lot of abbreviations

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

Some of the Sheep posted:

They also talk about it like it's an amazing experience, when the goal is to be "nodding hard" on a couch like an invalid until it's over.

my nigga have you tried nodding out?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

He sounds just as crazy and delusional here as he did when he still posted on the forums. I guess it's good that being in a Syrian torture prison didn't totally break him but I figured he would've gotten some sort of psychiatric help afterwards

I mean his family is delusional, and not naming names, but years back several different goons got in touch with members of his family to try and get him help and the ones who actually cared weren't directly related enough to him to be able to legally do anything that we hadn't already done. His parents were very much stuck on the "Oh he's just a poor boy who's been misunderstood, he got good grades that means he can't be crazy!" line even when presented with evidence that he thought his neighbor was a spy and had actively come up with plans to kill him if he ever tried to make a move against him (which, god knows what that means when you're suffering from delusional psychosis so...). If they handed him back to them then I take back everything I previously said, he's not getting any of the help he needs and will probably go back to doing the same old poo poo as before but now with added PTSD.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Wasn't there a time a few years ago where, after being pointed out by posters from FYAD, an admin had to specifically request that posters in GiP not post pictures of dismembered corpses?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

RFC2324 posted:

It really baffles me that FYAD are the ones who keep coming into these stories and saving lives that everyone else is mocking or enabling, when the forum as a whole sees them as irredeemable trolls and useless assholes(or something like that, I don't really GET FYAD).

if you got fyad you would schizophrenic tendencies though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also FYAD didn't give a poo poo about the dudes girlfriend, it was only Ozma. The other posters were just laughing along.