Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

This worked, thanks.

It is reliable too, I always use it to vassal feed these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the major downside for taking Admin as the Ottos is that it's eventually overkill thanks to admin efficiency. At ADM 23 you'll hit the coring cost reduction cap of 10%. At ADM 27 the bonus from Admin ideas becomes useless.
Other people have said but yeah, I am not going to not take Admin in 1460 or whatever because in 1700 it becomes useless. I could drop it for another mil idea or Humanist or something useful at the time if I continue to be flush with Monarch Points when I hit ADM 23 or 27. Even in 1580 I keep having to develop because I cannot conquer land to core fast enough to spend all of my admin points. I have four armies of 16/4/8 and two navies of 20 Heavies/30 Cogs (one in the Med, one in the Indian) and at times have had two wars going against smaller targets and just cant conquer fast enough. Other times I have had to spend a few years at peace because of the nasty web of alliances in Europe + truce times, but I am about to break into the Sahel and India so I will have even more targets soon.

I am even using your "gently caress buildings - hire more mercs" method and it is working well. Each of my armies has 4 std Infantry and 12 merc infantry - I dont lose manpower pretty much ever (I imagine I will in hellwars in Europe one day, or if I dive into India head first). I rarely have a huge surplus but when I do I build a few buildings here and there where they will help the most.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am even using your "gently caress buildings - hire more mercs" method and it is working well. Each of my armies has 4 std Infantry and 12 merc infantry -

I'd like to see the present merc system go away and maybe make ai countries more willing to rent condottieri.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I'd like to see the present merc system go away and maybe make ai countries more willing to rent condottieri.
I think the present merc system is hilariously a-historical (I love reading up on history but I am no expert so I could just be full of poo poo) so any change to it would be cool in my book. I just take advantage of as it is it because it works.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how poison increased coring cost gets removed? I am playing a game in India right now and I noticed that Gujarat popped out of Mewar, all of Gujarat's provinces did have the plus coring cost when Mewar had them, but now they don't. Did they get released in war or something, does that remove the coring cost?

I posted earlier that I inherited Delhi's march when their last province defected to my vassal, and not only that I inherited their negative modifiers with the march, like forced religion. If anyone has any info about that, maybe it's always worked that way. I just haven't seen it before.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Tsyni posted:

Does anyone know how poison increased coring cost gets removed? I am playing a game in India right now and I noticed that Gujarat popped out of Mewar, all of Gujarat's provinces did have the plus coring cost when Mewar had them, but now they don't. Did they get released in war or something, does that remove the coring cost?

I posted earlier that I inherited Delhi's march when their last province defected to my vassal, and not only that I inherited their negative modifiers with the march, like forced religion. If anyone has any info about that, maybe it's always worked that way. I just haven't seen it before.

If Mewar lost their cores on those provinces then the +coring cost modfier goes away. That is, as far as I know, the only way that will happen.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I think the present merc system is hilariously a-historical (I love reading up on history but I am no expert so I could just be full of poo poo) so any change to it would be cool in my book. I just take advantage of as it is it because it works.

I actually wonder if removing/modding out the preset merc system would cripple the AI. I sort of suspect they might be dependent on being able to pull infinite mercs out of their rear end.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

If Mewar lost their cores on those provinces then the +coring cost modfier goes away. That is, as far as I know, the only way that will happen.

Duh, of course. Makes perfect sense, ok, thank you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I actually wonder if removing/modding out the preset merc system would cripple the AI. I sort of suspect they might be dependent on being able to pull infinite mercs out of their rear end.
I would love it if they pulled it out and expanded the Condotierre system. They could then make Manpower more interesting instead of just plain numbers (e.g. once you get below a certain threshold you can continue to recruit soldiers but it will cause unrest or other negative modifiers; if your manpower is high you get cheaper maintenance or something). Wars were often determined by a country's will to fight, which was determined by their money and their manpower. In EU4 money is easy to come by and manpower is limitless because of mercs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I think the present merc system is hilariously a-historical (I love reading up on history but I am no expert so I could just be full of poo poo) so any change to it would be cool in my book.

How so? Most of the armies (in Europe) were mercenaries, often not tied to a single state, until well into the later parts of the game.

I agree they're borderline ruining the game since their overhaul though, and people have been complaining about that on the Paradox forums for months so I reckon the devs are planning on fixing that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mercs coming out of an infinite manpower pool is a little weird

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah that's true. I like them being in the game though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

I agree they're borderline ruining the game since their overhaul though, and people have been complaining about that on the Paradox forums for months so I reckon the devs are planning on fixing that.

What overhaul? I don't remember any changes other than when they made them auto-update as you tech up.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Elman posted:

What overhaul? I don't remember any changes other than when they made them auto-update as you tech up.

They also added a mercenary force limit and removed the limit on how many mercs you can recruit at a time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

How so? Most of the armies (in Europe) were mercenaries, often not tied to a single state, until well into the later parts of the game.

Part of my problem is the "In Europe" part - the game allows you to viably play anyone on the planet now more than ever. I find it "hilariously a-historical" because:
  • They are infinite
  • They regen their numbers anywhere on earth and will go anywhere, with you paying them the same amount
  • As, say, Brunei, I could end up in a war with an enemy in Iraq/Mesopotamia. If I occupy land I can recruit from said infinite merc pool via occupied provinces.
  • Mercs would not have sat there and waiting for an outsider army to stroll by, occupy some land, then say "sure foreigner, we will join you in fighting our brothers who did get recruited by by our lord" for the same price as that same foreigner would have paid for the equivalent amount of men recruited in their homeland.
  • The Condottiere system, to my knowledge, better represents how it worked historically.
  • The system as is, is not how it worked globally.

It is just really janky to me. Its an archaic system and because they are infinite it negatively affects how the game plays.

PleasingFungus posted:

They also added a mercenary force limit and removed the limit on how many mercs you can recruit at a time.
I have not played the game a ton and have not gotten into many hellwars lately, but this change has had zero impact to my ability to recruit entire armies of mercs, and definitely has not stopped the AI from recruiting endless amounts (that then die, so they recruit more).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 14, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

early on in my eu4 playtime i was fighting korea as burgundy and after stomping their main army it was like, "oh i can just get a ton of mercs from here" and it was pretty weird

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

[*]The majority of the mercs hired by a state would not have sat there and waiting for an outsider army to stroll by, occupy some land, then say "sure foreigner, we will join you in fighting our brothers who did get recruited by by our lord" for the same price as that same foreigner would have paid for the equivalent amount of men recruited in their homeland.

this actually did sort of happen, mercs taken prisoner in the 30YW would often end up getting recruited by the other side

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Other people have said but yeah, I am not going to not take Admin in 1460 or whatever because in 1700 it becomes useless. I could drop it for another mil idea or Humanist or something useful at the time if I continue to be flush with Monarch Points when I hit ADM 23 or 27. Even in 1580 I keep having to develop because I cannot conquer land to core fast enough to spend all of my admin points. I have four armies of 16/4/8 and two navies of 20 Heavies/30 Cogs (one in the Med, one in the Indian) and at times have had two wars going against smaller targets and just cant conquer fast enough. Other times I have had to spend a few years at peace because of the nasty web of alliances in Europe + truce times, but I am about to break into the Sahel and India so I will have even more targets soon.

I am even using your "gently caress buildings - hire more mercs" method and it is working well. Each of my armies has 4 std Infantry and 12 merc infantry - I dont lose manpower pretty much ever (I imagine I will in hellwars in Europe one day, or if I dive into India head first). I rarely have a huge surplus but when I do I build a few buildings here and there where they will help the most.

Yeah that's what I mean by overkill. If you can't conquer fast enough, the coring cost reduction just translates to more admin development. Admin is still a top-tier idea group though, even if the coring cost reduction isn't as useful if you get constrained by other factors.

If there was any other idea group I'd take in place of Admin it would be Religious for the CB, although Ottos don't really need that in the early game for all the claims they get from missions. Admin and then Religious, with Diplo or Influence and at least one military idea in between, is a pretty solid choice.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I totally agree with you about the infinite part, and if they add a cap then it'd make sense to add local pools so having a 30yw in Europe wouldn't suddenly mean you're finding yourself short of mercs in Indonesia.

quote:

• As, say, Brunei, I could end up in a war with an enemy in Iraq/Mesopotamia. If I occupy land I can recruit from said merc pool via occupied provinces.
  • "sure foreigner, we will join you in fighting our brothers who did get recruited by by our lord" for the same price as that same foreigner would have paid for the equivalent amount of men recruited in their homeland.
No, this is pretty much how it worked actually. Nationalism in that sense hasn't been around all that long, people (especially mercenaries) weren't really that squeamish about fighting their "countrymen" in plenty of instances as long as there was pay.

quote:

• The Condottiere system, to my knowledge, better represents how it worked historically.
Not really no. Mercenaries mostly weren't tied to a state.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

while we're at it how historical is it that lategame armies are composed of 50-40% artillery corps

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

The Condottiere system, to my knowledge, better represents how it worked historically.
The condotierre system seems like it best models a few, exceptional cases, e.g. 18th-century Hesse-Kassel. As i understand it, most mercenaries (notably including the condotierres themselves) didn't fall under any sort of national control; they were non-state actors. For most of EU4's period, the closest thing to EU4's Condotierre in real life were Swiss mercenaries, but the Swiss Confederacy was not really a functioning state in the way EU4 describes it, so the relevance is perhaps limited.

As I see it, the importance of the mercenary system is that it allows you to fight considerably more wars and makes them much more expensive. Wars were, in the period, both very common and ruinously expensive, so that's very helpful for the historicity of the game. As other people noted, the mercenary system also helps the AI not fall over completely once it loses an army or two.

I'd appreciate if someone explained how they're "ruining the game", as Koramei put it; I sincerely haven't noticed any major problems with them in my own play.

I have not played the game a ton and have not gotten into many hellwars lately, but this change has had zero impact to my ability to recruit entire armies of mercs, and definitely has not stopped the AI from recruiting endless amounts (that then die, so they recruit more).

Yeah, the mercenary force limit hasn't been relevant at any point since it was introduced, but people were asking for changes :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

while we're at it how historical is it that lategame armies are composed of 50-40% artillery corps

with 1000 men each!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

PleasingFungus posted:

I'd appreciate if someone explained how they're "ruining the game", as Koramei put it; I sincerely haven't noticed any major problems with them in my own play.

It turns every war into a doomwar and basically makes manpower meaningless (for the AI) since it won't hesitate to hire out endless mercenaries. "Ruining the game" was hyperbolic but it's definitely a flawed system right now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Koramei posted:

It turns every war into a doomwar and basically makes manpower meaningless (for the AI) since it won't hesitate to hire out endless mercenaries. "Ruining the game" was hyperbolic but it's definitely a flawed system right now.

The reason every war is a doomwar is because the costs of a war (battles) are front-loaded and the benefits (occupation warscore) are backloaded. That strongly encourages you to fight every war to 100%. Mercenaries reduce this effect, if anything, by extending the cost of battles.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

with 1000 men each!

Those are 1000 cannons. I can just imagine the thunder as 24,000 cannons fire in unison on the Iberian plains.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's true for the early game and when you're beating up on someone whose armies you can crush easily, but by the later game with bigger nations, when it's much harder to actually finish off the armies and so get to the occupation phase, mercenaries mean otherwise exhausted empires can and will keep chugging along indefinitely.

They're also really not actually that expensive right now especially for the big guys. If that was an actual factor maybe it'd solve the issue too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

No, this is pretty much how it worked actually. Nationalism in that sense hasn't been around all that long, people (especially mercenaries) weren't really that squeamish about fighting their "countrymen" in plenty of instances as long as there was pay.
I mean it in more of a sense of that the price and convenience. Mercenaries are this magical infinite pool that you can pull from, from anywhere, for the same price, at any time, pretty much as often as you would like. I am not saying that I think I should not be able to recruit mercs in foreign lands as is there is historical precedent for that happening, however, there should be more to it. I dont want to encourage tedium, but again, infinite pool I can access from anywhere I have occupied land is a bit silly.

If there were limited pools based on the development of a state-size area, and the owner of that state did not recruit all of those mercs and I occupy land in that state, I should be able to recruit a limited number mercs from the local pool from that area. Maybe they would cost more and/or leave my employ if I all of a sudden ship them from the Baltic area to India.

Koramei posted:

Not really no. Mercenaries mostly weren't tied to a state.
Yeah I did not elaborate well enough on why I like the Condottiere system - you are correct and they are not tied to a country, however the infinite pool I can access from anywhere ect ect. I dont like that you do not have to recruit merc cav or artillery, because mercs would not be exact lots of 1k men. They would be who they were and you could hire them if you needed the men, rather than an infinite pool of infantry.

PleasingFungus posted:

The condotierre system seems like it best models a few, exceptional cases, e.g. 18th-century Hesse-Kassel. As i understand it, most mercenaries (notably including the condotierres themselves) didn't fall under any sort of national control; they were non-state actors. For most of EU4's period, the closest thing to EU4's Condotierre in real life were Swiss mercenaries, but the Swiss Confederacy was not really a functioning state in the way EU4 describes it, so the relevance is perhaps limited.

As I see it, the importance of the mercenary system is that it allows you to fight considerably more wars and makes them much more expensive. Wars were, in the period, both very common and ruinously expensive, so that's very helpful for the historicity of the game. As other people noted, the mercenary system also helps the AI not fall over completely once it loses an army or two.

Re: Condottiere system: As I alluded to above - I like that with Condottiere you get what you are offered, take it or leave it. You cant just get whatever you want whenever you want. If a king needs men he will hire the men available for hire - there was not something going on where he could say 'I need exactly x infantry, and no never hire cavalry this way, it is too expensive". I know it is not directly tied to nations, but the thought behind hiring x Infantry, Y Cav, and Z Artillery for # per month is more palatable than infinite.

re: "ruining the game" - what Koramei said. Its dumb and annoying that the AI will send itself into a crazy amount of debt to try to keep fighting a hell war that it is losing badly(and each war in EU4 is a hellwar). If they did not have an infinite pool of mercenaries to pull from, they could not keep "fighting" by recruiting 5 stacks of infantry to send to their deaths against enemy doomstacks. The average Paradox poster wants the game to be easier and thus want this to go away. I do not want the game to be more easy, but I want the every-war-is-a-hell-war thing to go away and fixing mercs would go a long way towards that. This would however require updating the manpower system and other changes.

edit: to keep this long post going longer,

Koramei posted:

They're also really not actually that expensive right now especially for the big guys. If that was an actual factor maybe it'd solve the issue too.
This is part of the problem - as others have said, historically, wars were ruinously expensive. In EU4, they are not. Full Stop. So if that issue was addressed (which may be hard to make it fun gameplay for the human player) it would fix the problem.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 14, 2016

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It would be a good system to rework in eu5 but changing it in eu4 would make it a significantly different game and I personally wouldn't really like that

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
There is a mod which make armies and wars hugely expensive. Quite fun to try out but not for any longer amount of time.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking in the wiki/ledger, but is there any list of total development for each cultural group?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Tsyni posted:

I've been looking in the wiki/ledger, but is there any list of total development for each cultural group?

Closest I've seen is total development of cultural groups belonging to states in your empire, which you can get by mousing over the group name in the 'promote culture' pane.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

Closest I've seen is total development of cultural groups belonging to states in your empire, which you can get by mousing over the group name in the 'promote culture' pane.

Yeah, there a few lists of top groups on reddit etc, found using the custom nation designer, but I don't think they are quite up to date. They gave me a rough idea though. Was debating between Hindustani versus Iranian and it looks like Iranian wins handily.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They should nuke the current system of mercs and instead have independent condottieri just like the CKII merc system. So instead of hiring infinite mercs from the Merc Zone, Europe has a dozen or two bands of roving mercs like the 'Band of the Red Hand' or the 'White Company' or whatever, and they're pre-made, just like condottieri armies, so you're hiring a 6i, 3c, 4a army for X money. So if all the Mercs get hired up in the Wars of Religion and have their manpower depleted you're own your own for a bit.

Also Espionage ideas lets you unlock the ability to (maybe) bribe free companies away from your enemy based off your prestige/dip rep/mountain of cash (and the ai can do the same to you). Mercs help, but aren't always.... dependable.

If you really want to get funky, each company could have their own morale/discipline rating instead of using yours, so you could literally hire elite units for ~mad cash~ or go for the cheaper ones.

Current merc system sucks and they literally have the foundation for something WAY better fully functioning in game right now.

EDIT: Also, this would let your hire local African/Indian mercs groups in your trade companies/colonies which would cost you less to maintain but fight more on par with the locals because they'd have the local tech group average and your cool elite euro troops would just be the support for them which would be cool.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 14, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

They should nuke the current system of mercs and instead have independent condottieri just like the CKII merc system. So instead of hiring infinite mercs from the Merc Zone, Europe has a dozen or two bands of roving mercs like the 'Band of the Red Hand' or the 'White Company' or whatever, and they're pre-made, just like condottieri armies, so you're hiring a 6i, 3c, 4a army for X money. So if all the Mercs get hired up in the Wars of Religion and have their manpower depleted you're own your own for a bit.

Also Espionage ideas lets you unlock the ability to (maybe) bribe free companies away from your enemy based off your prestige/dip rep/mountain of cash (and the ai can do the same to you).

If you really want to get funky, each company could have their own morale/discipline rating instead of using yours, so you could literally hire elite units for ~mad cash~ or go for the cheaper ones.

Current merc system sucks and they literally have the foundation for something WAY better fully functioning in game right now.

EDIT: Also, this would let your hire local African/Indian mercs groups in your trade companies/colonies which would cost you less to maintain but fight more on par with the locals because they'd have the local tech group average and your cool elite euro troops would just be the support for them which would be cool.
This sounds great. Could add a layer of complexity but at first glance I think it would be more fun to deal with in place of limitless merc spam. I think this is sorta what I was thinking I just didnt put it all together.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you have mercenaries in your army, any loot that the army takes should be penalized by the % of mercenaries that you're running in that army. The province loot bar still shrinks normally, you just get fewer of the ducats because you're running mercs

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

If you have mercenaries in your army, any loot that the army takes should be penalized by the % of mercenaries that you're running in that army. The province loot bar still shrinks normally, you just get fewer of the ducats because you're running mercs

That's kind of already what's happening, since you have to pay the mercs more than regular troops anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

This sounds great. Could add a layer of complexity but at first glance I think it would be more fun to deal with in place of limitless merc spam. I think this is sorta what I was thinking I just didnt put it all together.

It would also be fun to have a war where the "Company of the Purple Turtle" really saves your bacon and helps win your war, and a few years later France has hired them to beat the poo poo out of you.

I'd be all sad I had to kill those cool dudes who helped me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

StashAugustine posted:

Not very but Napoleon definitely would have approved.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

One day I will remember during a war that the loot bar exists in every province, and make sure to loot every province that I occupy. One day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

One day I will remember during a war that the loot bar exists in every province, and make sure to loot every province that I occupy. One day.

There's a loot map mode you can use for that.

• Locked thread