Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I use VATS a lot... But not for attacking. Like I've said I enjoy a stealthy, snipey way of playing, so having an overview of what I'm getting into is really powerful. I'll pop on VATS just to scout the area, see how many enemies there are etc.

I'll also pop it every now and then when I'm walking around the wasteland, to make sure I don't accidentally run right into a yao guai or something, and since it highlights mines it's also great to use as a sort of "trap detector" :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

There are really the two "camps" of players: those that like to use VATS and those that don't. For whatever reason, people on Youtube don't use VATS - I think it's hilariously awesome. If you like VATS....yeeeaaaahhhh....you need to try this. You can even see how ridiculous it is early on. Start out with AGI of 9 so you can take Blitz as your first perk: you'll also be set for sneak, ninja, and sandman. You can find a combat knife very early, but two other really early choices are Big Jim (found), Grognak's Axe (well, you have to go to the city, but it's still early) and General Chao's Revenge (purchased). The smaller knife will just be more AP-efficient when you are better at sneaking and can take advantage of the low AP usage of the smaller knife, but the higher alpha weapons are every bit as devastating against 1-3 enemies at a time.

I don't watch a lot of youtube let's plays but there is a guy I sorta like who did a no guns playthrough of FO4 and did pretty much exactly what you're suggesting starting with 9AGL. it's here if anyone is interested. He starts off a little weak but by the end of the game he's strongly of the opinion that melee builds are better than guns builds, and just watching him I might be inclined to agree. But the thing is he's a very heavy VATS user, almost doesn't play without it, whereas I don't care for VATS and most of the really good melee perks rely super heavily on VATS being used most of the time.

Oh, and for those wondering about killing things like turrets, yeah, you can get by with grenades pretty easily. This guy doesn't use guns and pretty much never has to just not engage in combat. Molotovs knock wall mounted turrets down for an instakill, frag nades can be thrown up to ledges and do an obscene amount of damage with demo expert, and the higher ranks of blitz let you teleport up to higher areas to clear things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I use VATS a lot... But not for attacking. Like I've said I enjoy a stealthy, snipey way of playing, so having an overview of what I'm getting into is really powerful. I'll pop on VATS just to scout the area, see how many enemies there are etc.

I'll also pop it every now and then when I'm walking around the wasteland, to make sure I don't accidentally run right into a yao guai or something, and since it highlights mines it's also great to use as a sort of "trap detector" :3:

That's mostly what we've been using it for (also playing a sniper), but I'll admit it's pretty fun now that we have a VATS-focused character. You really have to frontload the Agility and Perception enough that you either have to sacrifice some early crafting or some settlement stuff, though. It's tough to have a 10 in 2 stats and a 6 in Charisma, even if the Agility bobblehead is basically handed to you in the first Minuteman quest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

but I'll admit it's pretty fun now that we have a VATS-focused character.

Yeah, after all this talk about it I can't not try it! Do all melee weapons count as silent or are the bigger ones noisy? Since I've never used melee in this game I'm having a hard time picking a weapon I'd use.

aniviron posted:

I don't watch a lot of youtube let's plays but there is a guy I sorta like who did a no guns playthrough of FO4 and did pretty much exactly what you're suggesting starting with 9AGL. it's here if anyone is interested.

Thanks, I'm always interested in these for background entertainment :3:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 13, 2016

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

aniviron posted:

I don't watch a lot of youtube let's plays but there is a guy I sorta like who did a no guns playthrough of FO4 and did pretty much exactly what you're suggesting starting with 9AGL. it's here if anyone is interested. He starts off a little weak but by the end of the game he's strongly of the opinion that melee builds are better than guns builds, and just watching him I might be inclined to agree. But the thing is he's a very heavy VATS user, almost doesn't play without it, whereas I don't care for VATS and most of the really good melee perks rely super heavily on VATS being used most of the time.

Oh, and for those wondering about killing things like turrets, yeah, you can get by with grenades pretty easily. This guy doesn't use guns and pretty much never has to just not engage in combat. Molotovs knock wall mounted turrets down for an instakill, frag nades can be thrown up to ledges and do an obscene amount of damage with demo expert, and the higher ranks of blitz let you teleport up to higher areas to clear things.

I love how you just magically appear near people with Blitz. :allears:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

BY FAR. Add pickpocket - which is just as hilarious as it is in Skyrim, except this time you have grenades - and the possibilities are endless. Picking fusion cores out of Brotherhood knights never gets old.

You're kidding O_O I have to take pickpocket for the first time in a Fallout game now.

Unrelated, have any of you ever done a full heavy power armor in Survival? How does is compare to the usual sneaky shenanigans?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It also leads to a lot of "Psychic blast" situations where the game thinks you should be able to teleport somewhere but can't for whatever reason, so you just swing your knife and kill someone from 20 feet away.

e:

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Unrelated, have any of you ever done a full heavy power armor in Survival? How does is compare to the usual sneaky shenanigans?

No reason you can't do both. The AI is, uh, not exactly perceptive:

that screenshot is obvs not from survival since I have 99+ cores on me, but I can't see any reason PA wouldn't work in survival. Carrying 10 cores with you at any given time should be more than enough (especially if you invest in nuclear physicist) and weighs about the same as a normal set of armor anyway. Plus you're afforded extra carry capacity from being in PA, and buying cores is a decent proposition as long as you sell back your depleted cores.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 13, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

You're kidding O_O I have to take pickpocket for the first time in a Fallout game now.

Pickpocket has been one of my "must have" perks in this game since at rank 4 you can pickpocket someone's clothes straight off their back, and there are several pieces of clothing you can only get this way.

I know it's ungrateful, but the first thing I did when I met Old Longfellow and he ran ahead to guide me into the fog was to sneak up behind him and take his coat. It's a nice coat :dva:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I remember having a lot of fun with pickpocket in Fallout 3 (what do I do with all these useless suits of outcast power armor? I bet the entire town of megaton, children included, would like some...) but really I just have a hard time justifying putting four ranks into a perk when there are so many useful things competing for my attention.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OH!
If you like power armor, try it with an Unarmed build. The armor gets bonus mods for unarmed damage. Kinda makes you feel like a Space Marine with nothing to lose but the love FOR THE EMPEROR!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't like power armor, but does unarmed work with the stealth blitz build? Might be hilarious to sneak around and punch everyone to death in a flurry of sneak attacks :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Computer posted:

I don't like power armor, but does unarmed work with the stealth blitz build? Might be hilarious to sneak around and punch everyone to death in a flurry of sneak attacks :allears:

Yes, it should.
Make some bladed brass knuckles and be Wasteland Wolverine.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
The pain train perk is the cherry on top of a melee/unarmed power armor build. It seems stupid and useless at first, but you'd be surprised how satisfying it is to send raiders flying off the tops of buildings, fire escapes, catwalks, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PA has sneak penalties, doesn't it? I mean, I remained mostly undetected as a stealth character, and the Stealth boy mod seemed mostly superfluous, but going plainsclothes is more silent, iirc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Yes, it should.
Make some bladed brass knuckles and be Wasteland Wolverine.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy would I be if I now want to try playing Horizon as a stealthy punchmans?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Computer posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy would I be if I now want to try playing Horizon as a stealthy punchmans?

I know nothing of that but Sneaky Punchmans is so loving OP that it ought to be viable. It's be a lovely mod to make some builds unusable.

I also suggest picking up all rank in the Scrounger perk. You find LOADS of ammo and sell every one. You'll punch your way to the top of Cap Mountain.

Edit: Wow, I just read through that whole post for Horizon and I'm downloading it the second I get home. Does anyone know if there are conflicts with an alternate start mod?

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 13, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
"Shaun. . . I think Mommy has some things she needs to share, too. She's been - aah. . . Shaun, have you heard of a place called Nuka World?"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rinkles posted:

PA has sneak penalties, doesn't it? I mean, I remained mostly undetected as a stealth character, and the Stealth boy mod seemed mostly superfluous, but going plainsclothes is more silent, iirc.

Remember that one of the perks in the stealth tree is silent running, and I believe that is the only penalty to sneaking in power armor. If there are others, they are largely ineffective. See my post above, and the following:

This is something that happens literally every time I play. I'm just standing within 5m of an enemy who is looking just barely away from me and running while crouched in power armor. It's like everything you fight is blind. This is with all stealth perks and about half of the US Covert Ops books.

I agree that the stealth boy mod is superfluous, but only because you can sneak just fine without it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Power armor really shouldn't let you sneak, if only for balance purposes. It should be the equivalent of putting the suppressor on the anti-material rifle in New Vegas; it just makes it a little bit less ridiculously loud.

But balance isn't really a thing in Beth games so :shrug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd love a mod that lets me just equip PA hands and feet so I can be a 90s edgy cartoon character.

gently caress, I would need black hair with purple bangs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I'd love a mod that lets me just equip PA hands and feet so I can be a 90s edgy cartoon character.

gently caress, I would need black hair with purple bangs.

It's not exactly the same, but I enjoy CROSS Pre-War Cybernetics as an alternative to power armor when I want to get silly with things. Instead of a suit of armor, you get an exoskeleton and you can install different armor and upgrades on it :dva:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Your Computer posted:

It's not exactly the same, but I enjoy CROSS Pre-War Cybernetics as an alternative to power armor when I want to get silly with things. Instead of a suit of armor, you get an exoskeleton and you can install different armor and upgrades on it :dva:
I love how open and cool that dude is about his perversions. Good stuff.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Not quite Awful/Awesome mods thread material, but getting close.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maxed out Blitz sneaking is pretty crazy. You don't so much dash around as just... appear behind people holding a knife. You're pretty much a horror movie monster.

(One of the reasons it's so crazy is that if you vatsstab one person then other people see you do it and you won't get the sneak attack bonus when you stab them next. But if you queue up attacks against 8 different people as part of a single VATS session then you will backstab each and every one of them)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Not quite Awful/Awesome mods thread material, but getting close.

Yeah it's... certainly something. He makes some pretty great mods too, like the cybernetics, jetpack and PlasRail.

The rest like the, uh.. tactical swimsuit and vaultsuit (?????) are more nexus.jpg territory.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Maxed out Blitz sneaking is pretty crazy. You don't so much dash around as just... appear behind people holding a knife. You're pretty much a horror movie monster.

(One of the reasons it's so crazy is that if you vatsstab one person then other people see you do it and you won't get the sneak attack bonus when you stab them next. But if you queue up attacks against 8 different people as part of a single VATS session then you will backstab each and every one of them)

Also the damage increase from Blitz is calculated from your original position so you'll get the full damage bonus on all enemies in the same sequence even if they're standing right next to each other.

Also also as you stand still when attacking in VATS the damage increase from Rooted is also applied :black101:

e: Melee is p good as everything stacks with everything!

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Last night, I was doing the Battle of Bunker Hill bit; I decided to see what would happen if I just went there and murdered every BOS and Synth in sight rather than going to warn either BOS or Railroad first. Of course, it makes no difference how you play it, because Bethesda.

But, Doc Weathers happened to be at Bunker Hill. Doc Weathers is not a Bunker Hill resident that is scripted to run and hide in the corner, like the residents do. And Doc Weathers was PISSED OFF.

He picked up a minigun dropped by a random BOS and immediately murdered every single Railroad heavy on the Bunker Hill grounds in about 15 seconds, Jesse Ventura style. And now, every time I run into him sitting around a campfire at some settlement. . .oh, County Crossing, for example. . . or maybe The Slog, or any of the other couple of settlements that always seem to have some nonsense going down in the vicinity that makes everyone around go apeshit, I'll remember that he's going to be packing that minigun.

Edit: fun fact: one of the terminals in The Institute has a list of Institute informants, and most (if not all) of the NPC caravan traders are on that list. Whether or not this is in any way implemented in the game at all is another question - I don't think it is - but it's funny that Weathers slaughtered the Railroad guys in particular. They may have been the targets of opportunity left standing after I blitz-butchered everything else within 100 yards; but still. . .

In the end, I think its this kind of thing that keeps me playing FO4. I haven't really been able to figure out, for at least a month or so now, why I still play this game. And this was the answer - ridiculous, random, unscripted chaos.

By the way, I highly recommend this for one of your settlements with a lot of open space:

Build a 6x6 space surrounded by concrete fence wall, and inside this space put about 10 gunner cages so that the doors face inward. The cages will open, but all the gunners will spill out into the middle 4x4 space. On top of the gunner cages, put about 10 rocket launcher turrets. Then, for the best part, use the switch with the bullseye target on it as the device to open up the cages. Wait for about 2 in-game days, and then grab a scoped gun of some kind and shoot the target from about 50-60 yards away, so that you have a nice, unobstructed view - because when you shoot the target and those turrets go off, a few of those gunners are actually going to be launched a good 4-5 stories into the air. It's great.

Any other ideas like that? I'd love to screw around with that kind of thing.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 13, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Battle of Bunker Hill is the most disappointing mission I've played in the game, I think. It feels like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too, so no matter which way you play it, you feel like you're betraying every faction, and there aren't a ton of real consequences to any side being slaughtered. Plus it's sort of annoying and glitchy as a settlement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Battle of bunker hill or assault on fortification hill?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

Pickpocket has been one of my "must have" perks in this game since at rank 4 you can pickpocket someone's clothes straight off their back, and there are several pieces of clothing you can only get this way.

I know it's ungrateful, but the first thing I did when I met Old Longfellow and he ran ahead to guide me into the fog was to sneak up behind him and take his coat. It's a nice coat :dva:

That's something I never tried in Skyrim either, I'll have to give it a shot for sure.

aniviron posted:

that screenshot is obvs not from survival since I have 99+ cores on me, but I can't see any reason PA wouldn't work in survival. Carrying 10 cores with you at any given time should be more than enough (especially if you invest in nuclear physicist) and weighs about the same as a normal set of armor anyway. Plus you're afforded extra carry capacity from being in PA, and buying cores is a decent proposition as long as you sell back your depleted cores.

I mostly always take Nuclear recently because the PlasRail needs it :p I also really like the X-01's design visually. X-02 (mod) looks too edgy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I got a-thinkin'. Remember that ARG from... 3(?) years back? It was some Fallout website with an embedded Van Dyke Parks song, with a bunch of coded stuff about an 'Institute' and a vault in Boston. It turned out to be a hoax, but at least a few elements from it seem to have been spot-on, like the sealed-off Institute with creepy humanoid dudes walking around and the Boston location. Was that actually just some guy pulling an elaborate hoax, or Bethesda testing to see what kind of response the FO4 setting might get?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Either or.

MIT is world renown though, I could see two people coming up with similar Fallout stories involving it completely coincidentally. It just lends itself to that kind of thing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The institute and Boston were known about ever since they had a cameo in FO3.

They sounded a hell of a lot better there, of course, but ehh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The institute and Boston were known about ever since they had a cameo in FO3.

Hey come on, people knew about our city before then. We had... Cheers, and like, a bunch of movies about Whitey Bulger. :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Hey come on, people knew about our city before then. We had... Cheers, and like, a bunch of movies about Whitey Bulger. :smith:
My ex and I actually went. I actually walked the Freedom Trail myself. Kinda wish they'd have gone with the African American Patriot one tbh, it was way better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My ex and I actually went. I actually walked the Freedom Trail myself. Kinda wish they'd have gone with the African American Patriot one tbh, it was way better.

I live here so, of course, I have never actually walked the Freedom Trail.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

You walked the Freedom Trail? By yourself?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always enjoy using the tiny silenced pistol with power armor because your giant ham-finger couldn't possibly pull the trigger. :v:

Ofaloaf posted:

So I got a-thinkin'. Remember that ARG from... 3(?) years back? It was some Fallout website with an embedded Van Dyke Parks song, with a bunch of coded stuff about an 'Institute' and a vault in Boston. It turned out to be a hoax, but at least a few elements from it seem to have been spot-on, like the sealed-off Institute with creepy humanoid dudes walking around and the Boston location. Was that actually just some guy pulling an elaborate hoax, or Bethesda testing to see what kind of response the FO4 setting might get?

The Institute and the replicants were in FO3 (briefly) and the big hint about 4, so probably just a really good educated guess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

You walked the Freedom Trail? By yourself?
Nah, there was a guide who was doing a gimmick of being the wife of the guy who isn't Paul Revere but also rode a horse. Ex was there as well, it was a decent walk.

You could do it yourself I guess, it's not very hard, but ehh. Was kinda irritated the graveyard wasn't modeled properly because it wouldn't have been terribly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My favorite thing about the Freedom Trail is how many tourists are like "Excuse me, sir, where's the Freedom Trail?" because there's no real way to say "Yah standin' on it" without sounding like an rear end in a top hat. Like, I know they mean "Where's the tour?" but there are too many different answers, it's not something you can direct somebody to.

• Locked thread