Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
whats wrong with Perez, last i heard of him he was one of those names that people wanted for VP, up there with one of the Castros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Perez isn't a moderate, he's fairly progressive

the main issue other then not being endorsed by sanders is he literally hasn't run a campaign bigger then a county race

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

If Ellison gets crowded out by The Establishment I guess I'll finally give up on hope that anything will ever improve

Maybe I'm just bummed-out today

He will be, and when he loses I'm un-bookmarking this thread.

Why yes I am a privileged white male.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

good, the sooner this thread learns that the Democratic party must be purged from the Earth the better

we can't even try co-opting it from within?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The main problem the Obama wing has with Ellison is "we didn't pick him and we run barter town"

if that's enough to sink someone in a DNC chair race then what the gently caress is the point of anything I guess

Serf posted:

That's what we're doing now though

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

what is this, someone challenged our appointed leader, it's like the democratic party is bigger than its far left wing or something

hosed up if true

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Serf posted:

idk, try asking leftist organizers from the past 40 years this question and see where they ended up

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Guys I have news from the third way wing of the party about that whole class is identity thing. From what i understand, class cannot be considered identity because identity can only be built around something you are, not something you choose, and since wealthy people can choose not to be wealthy and poor people can choose to move and get a differebt better paying job, class can obviously not be an identity

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

If Ellison gets crowded out by The Establishment I guess I'll finally give up on hope that anything will ever improve

Maybe I'm just bummed-out today

This is a thing to make you feel better.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tiny Deer posted:

Civil rights and economic improvement go so well together that I wonder if I'm the idiot for not fully understanding why they keep being presented as incompatible or somehow in competition.

I mean I know it must be serving some agenda, for somebody, but why do other people accept it?

There's real concerns that broad economic changes will overly benefit whites over minorities, leaving the latter behind once again. It's something to be mindful of (and I think a lot of the folks here are) and to try put in safeguards for.

The problem arises when those concerns are delivered with a "so gently caress economic issues, get that poo poo out of here."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, our confidence must really be shot if "more than one person is competing for the DNC Chair position" is seen as terrifying apocalyptic news.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

UHD posted:

what is this, someone challenged our appointed leader, it's like the democratic party is bigger than its far left wing or something

hosed up if true

Ellison is not far left wing. He is a moderate left winger. Do you want to see far left wing stuff? Some folks in this thread have stuff prepared, they should share it. The far left wing doesnt want Ellison. You may be confusing them with the majority of the party i guess, really easy to do when you arent paying attention to anything

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

docbeard posted:

Man, our confidence must really be shot if "more than one person is competing for the DNC Chair position" is seen as terrifying apocalyptic news.

the establishment is loving US AGAIN AAAAAA

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

whoever said "democrats fall in love republicans fall in line" hit it on the nose

Serf
May 5, 2011

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

idk, try asking leftist organizers from the past 40 years this question and see where they ended up

fair enough. still gonna try tho

docbeard posted:

it's good to see you've woken up from that coma that made you miss 2016. I have so much to tell you

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

It does, but the forums context would make it even better :allears:

docbeard posted:

It's not easy to be a leftist in America, we're super used to disappointment and failure at this point

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

docbeard posted:

More than one person competing is good news, and will help show our candidate is strong. But it is also fair to be worried the weaker candidate will win anyway because power players in the party prefer to remain relevant.

This is a civil war, and it is okay and even important to consider the fact that you might lose even though you have the advantage and to keep fighting.

Like Hillarys campaign should be a nice reminder of that message. I wish she had spent more time worried about the ways in which she might lose

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

gonna lol when the Ellison v Perez for DNC campaigns turn out to be a mirror image of the Sanders v Clinton primary campaigns

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Fun thing I learned when exploring claims that certain D&D posters were being banned or probated just for being black:

Not only did one such poster claim another wasn't even black, they even picked the same exact person zoux there tried it with.

Their response when the poster posted a similar image was to call them a race traitor instead

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

There's real concerns that broad economic changes will overly benefit whites over minorities, leaving the latter behind once again. It's something to be mindful of (and I think a lot of the folks here are) and to try put in safeguards for.

The problem arises when those concerns are delivered with a "so gently caress economic issues, get that poo poo out of here."

Except check out those graphs that sheng ji yang posted recently, and it will show you that since the 80s the wealth gap between whites and other races has ONLY INCREASED, while conditions massively improved for minorities (who were only 10% of the country at the time) during the keynesian spending/great society of the middle 20th century.

ID politics is nothing but a shell game to keep the masses distracted while the wealth is hoovered up by the actually mostly white, mostly male elite!!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Perez may or may not be a good person.

Obama looking to weigh in on who should lead the DNC going forward is a problem, because he's an idiot and a ghoul.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

truthfully, i would much rather Perez run for governor of Maryland like he was planning

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

identity politics is a dumb phrase because the only people who don't think their politics are at least partly rooted in identity are libertarians who consider themselves ~~rational decesion makers~~

and libertarians are only libertarians because they're all privileged fuckbois so that's more identity based than most

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
theres a lot of non-privileged libertarians so i think the uniting factor about the ideology is that theyre all stupid dipshits

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

whats wrong with Perez, last i heard of him he was one of those names that people wanted for VP, up there with one of the Castros

Theres not much evidence he would make a good chair, ellison beats him on every relevant front except that perez is considered an ally to the Obama and Clinton wing of the party and those supporting him seem to be doing it mostly in the hopes they will remain relevant and those people are largly people we shouldnt want remaining relevant.

At least as i understand the situation

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ay gurl

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

docbeard posted:

For me it's that he's Obama's choice, the choice of a man who burned the Democrats to cinders. Also he's internalized the "inevitability" of free trade as it's currently defined and his career has mostly been an attempt to ameliorate, rather than effectively respond to such a doctrine. Has he done great things? Yes. Has he won anything larger than a city council race? No. Ellison has all the correct positions, good fundraising ability, and experience creating a grassroots organization. Perez was appointed to all his notable positions.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah, there could definitely be issues with programs disproportionately benefiting white people, but refusing to help anyone because of that seems like a great example of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

Or it's a great way to avoid having to actually spend money on poor people regardless of color, I guess.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

He's still the Libertarian Candidate of my heart

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im of the opinion we should want the obamas to remain relevant because theyre the best surrogates available to the party at the moment

this does not necessarily extend to putting Perez in charge of the DNC mind you

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Deer posted:

Yeah, there could definitely be issues with programs disproportionately benefiting white people, but refusing to help anyone because of that seems like a great example of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

Or it's a great way to avoid having to actually spend money on poor people regardless of color, I guess.

This is pretty much it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I guess that explains why the HRC campaign wasn't worried about Michigan, the fix was in! But it still wasn't enough to overcome the terrible candidate that terrible people still support.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Isn't Detroit shrinking though?

I dunno. I've gotten so used to VOTER FRAUD wolf-cries that I wait until I see a conviction before I believe anything.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

im of the opinion we should want the obamas to remain relevant because theyre the best surrogates available to the party at the moment

Haha the Dems are doomed then.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
iirc perez is actually a good pro-labor guy and while im not the biggest obama fan rn ill take this over some neoliberal shitheel

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Haha the Dems are doomed then.

okay cool i guess we're pretending the Obamas are not great orators then

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Eh, but freed of the shackles of the Republicans, in abstract his positions suck. So he's a surrogate for poo poo causes. Also the remaining Hilary people will use him to buoy themselves and they need to drown.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
we need real surrogates, like some Jacobin twitter fuckboi

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

okay cool i guess we're pretending the Obamas are not great orators then

The greatest orator in the history of the United States is Bernie Sanders, as is evidenced by the one speech he was able to remember for the entire campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zegermans posted:

The greatest orator in the history of the United States is Bernie Sanders, as is evidenced by the one speech he was able to remember for the entire campaign.

He's remembered it a lot longer than that!

• Locked thread