Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Witcher 3 is going to be my first purchase for PS4. The PS4 that is coming will come with Final Fantasy XV and Until Dawn (the latter because a bunch of people want to watch my reactions when I play it, I guess). I'll probably pick up Witcher 3 at like end of January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

PLAY WITCHER 3

This a thousand times. You'll definitely be getting your money's worth, and a drat good time sink.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Witcher 3 and GTA 5 if you didn't already play it last gen are great games and worth the money

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, just read some quick primer on the world and plot of the previous two games. It doesn't spend much time explaining who and what everything is which is why I think some people bounce off of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got distracted by a different game about 7 or 8 hours into the witcher 3 but I think I spent more of that playing gwent than the actual game

I need to go back at some point

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all you need to know is geralt got amnesia and triss told him they were definitely dating but then geralt got his memory back and now he's meeting up with his notwife (but pretty much his wife) so they can find their adopted daughter (who's the emperor's daughter)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bounced off Witcher 3 too, I think ultimately because I chased after every side quest and most points of interest on the map. Next time I try it, I think I'll just stick to the main plot for the most part. Hopefully doing so doesn't cause you to be under-levelled.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i want to play... a good witcher mod for eu4. but there's only like six nations in the witcher that i would recognize

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I think I bounced off The Witcher 3 three or four times. Not because any of it was bad, but just because it's so dense. Every new area seems to open up at least one new multi quest plotline that could potentially be the main quest in some other RPG. While they're all interesting and complex, it's easy to feel overwhelmed.

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 14, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

plz dont pull out posted:

I think I bounced off The Witcher 3 three or four times. Not because any of it was bad, but just because it's so dense. Every new area seems to open up at least one new multi quest plotline that could potentially be the main quest in some other RPG. While they're all interesting and complex, it's easy to feel overwhelmed.

This sounds like it is extremely my poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I look forward to disappearing into this for weeks and doing literally every quest like a huge idiot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jay Rust posted:

I bounced off Witcher 3 too, I think ultimately because I chased after every side quest and most points of interest on the map. Next time I try it, I think I'll just stick to the main plot for the most part. Hopefully doing so doesn't cause you to be under-levelled.
The game is designed to level you up from just doing the main quest, yeah. The xp you get from side quests is minimal, you only do anything in the game for stories and flavor anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are there any missable quests?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is the plague tower stuff near the beginning skippable ??

that's pretty involved but it's worth it

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I just wish the combat was a little more challenging in W3 once you actually understand all the mechanics. It seems like at some point after the initial release they massively increased the invincibility on the dodge and roll, to the point where it's hard to even get hit by stuff anymore.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bicyclops posted:

There's a temporary point of no return that is outright announced in-game before which you should finish side-quests involving main NPCs. You can still do everything else (so like 95% of the game) after you finish the main quest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

i dunno but are (were??) missable gwent cards if you're into achievements. when i found out about the missable cards at the party i decided to power through the matches with a trash deck. but luckily gwent is actually pretty easy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

An easy game with hundreds of hours of exploring big sidequest lines? I should have gotten this instead of Final Fantasy XV

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also per the conversation last night, my wife decided to start playing the Wii Harvest Moon again to collect the two fish she is missing and stayed up until 4 AM by mistake.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You can also miss some stuff because of your decisions but that's like the name of the game.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I look forward to disappearing into this for weeks and doing literally every quest like a huge idiot.

While there's less opportunity to customize your character and roleplay, what The Witcher 3 does much better than Bethesda is injecting every sidequest with actual intrigue and character. You kinda see this excuse for Skyrim having somewhat flat characters and storylines being a necessity due to the game and quest being so sprawling. The idea that to create an ocean you can only have it be an inch deep. The Witcher 3 on the other hand defies that. Small sidequests in bumfuck nowhere still have tons of personality and interesting twists and turns.

Plus making Geralt a more defined character gives you much more room to have a main quest that explores his relationships with other people in a meaningful way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The combat in the witcher 3 is comically incompetent but other than that it's a better-than-good game in almost every aspect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

congrats to yen on winning character of the year this year as well

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I really thought Pacific Rim was shockingly bad. Like usually when people like something I don't I can see where they're coming from but with Pacific Rim, I found so little of any merit in there.

People who think Live Action Rei Ayanami is a good character must be from some other loving planet.

At least X4 is possibly the best game in the series.

Ahahahahahahaha.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The first X is the best but I will accept 2 as an answer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Ahahahahahahaha.

The gameplay is fun and smooth, the animation and graphics are great, the levels are well designed, the abilities are cool, it's the first time you got to play the whole game as Zero and in general it was just a solid game in the series. It's not like I said X5-7 or Command Mission were the best

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

plz dont pull out posted:

I didnt get a chance to mention it when we were talking about episodic content, but witcher 3 does it really well with the dlc, where it starts you at an appropriate level for the dlc which is nicely self-contained. I highly recommend doing hearts of stone if the main quest and area has you feeling lost like this.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lost Odyssey is free on Xbox atm, go download it because it's a cool Final Fantasy style game with good music and well written short stories.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The combat in the witcher 3 is comically incompetent but other than that it's a better-than-good game in almost every aspect.

Yeah I don't like the Witcher games at all because it they each play like different kinds of crap.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I checked out Let It Die and the aesthetic and systems seem cool but the combat is too stiff and simple for me to really sink a lot of time into it I think.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i like megaman 8 a lot and in fact it is my favorite outside of the battle network games, even though objectively it is more flawed

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Lost Odyssey is free on Xbox atm, go download it because it's a cool Final Fantasy style game with good music and well written short stories.

the only regret i have for not owning a xbox is this game, god it's so good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Last Guardian reviews I'm seeing are really harsh. Is this game bad? :ohdear:

The gameplay is fun and smooth, the animation and graphics are great, the levels are well designed, the abilities are cool, it's the first time you got to play the whole game as Zero and in general it was just a solid game in the series. It's not like I said X5-7 or Command Mission were the best

The PSX games look like garbage. X4 is the 4th best X game and it'd be a lot lower if the sequels were as good as the SNES games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What the gently caress are you guys talking about?

The best X game is obviously X3: Albion Prelude

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The Last Guardian reviews I'm seeing are really harsh. Is this game bad? :ohdear

apparently it's old. the whole thing's you know. just not "new" really. it's old

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The PSX games look like garbage. X4 is the 4th best X game and it'd be a lot lower if the sequels were as good as the SNES games.

I think it looks fine and plays really well so I don't even really know what you're on about.

Oh and TLG is good...if your willing to put up with the type of game it is. It is an odd game to be as hyped as it was because even more so than the other Team Ico games, it really isn't for everyone. You really have to enjoy interacting with a giant cat and be willing to bear with it when it goes and acts like a giant cat.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
X4 is definitely the best iteration of playing as Zero in the X games, if you're into that

2's the best and 5's where the big downturn starts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

In Training posted:

Yeah I don't like the Witcher games at all because it they each play like different kinds of crap.

I don't really get the critiques of The Witcher 3's combat. I absolutely get it with 1 and 2, but 3 seems fine to me. It's not the deepest combat system, but I always thought it felt good and didn't get in the way (especially once I remembered how punishing it is to get hit in the back). It could've done with some more depth and better encounter design, especially towards the end, but I don't think I'd call it truly bad, just "okay."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its like arkham asylum combat, but after so many games that use it everyone hates that style now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's nothing like Arkham combat, Batman is always precise, Geralt just pirouettes all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Witcher 3 combat works just fine. It's actually too easy and you have too much invuln and your tools are way, way too good for what the enemies can deal with.

• Locked thread