Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

how would she have generated positive news?

I dunno. Held a press conference? Held a few more town halls with people who weren't rich donors? Found ways to communicate her ideas that didn't involve referencing her website or a two minute long wonkfest? Difficult work for a candidate to be sure, but going total recluse mode and spurning the press because of her bad history with them is not how you want to be doing things in a presidential election.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i still don't understand why "intersectionality" never applied to poors in d&d

Being poor is an identity white people can claim, and white people are always bad, so its not one they give any thought to.

Or, being poor is a choice, and a choice is not an identity.

Ed: Balls.

Am I doing this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

yeah great theres a disagreement about DNC leadership and the contest is between a guy who is good and a guy who is acceptable. its not like hes pushing Chuck Schumer or something. this is not really indicative of a guy who wants to drag the party backwards.

and once hes not president its not going to be his job to reach across the aisle and i presume hes not going to be doing a lot of outreach to conservatives, so why bother freaking out about that? he will probably be a moderate voice in the room, but its not like hes some iron-clad ideologue in any particular respect. if the party shifts, he will probably follow.
yeah, i'm kind of hopeful for when he hands the keys to trump (hilarious as that phrase sounds, i know), in the "maybe he'll actually finally show some political muscle" respect

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Oh Snapple! posted:

such selfishness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYn58KepdM&t=37s

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Obama said on a donor call that he was going to be on the ground fighting against Trump after the inauguration. The guy was a community organizer and all

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fiction posted:

Obama said on a donor call that he was going to be on the ground fighting against Trump after the inauguration. The guy was a community organizer and all

he was a community organizer for like2 years lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Not a Step posted:

Being poor is an identity white people can claim, and white people are always bad, so its not one they give any thought to.

Or, being poor is a choice, and a choice is not an identity.
considering the group that pushes that sort of philosophy i'm inclined to believe it is always something as stupid as this

also I have heard the latter, great i love it when people apply homophobia logic to class :ironicat:

ps you are doing it right but i like to put ed balls in random places myself

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Fiction posted:

Will this be the ground at the Andrews golf course or the ground at his Hawaii retirement home

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im skeptical of how much headway Holder and Obamas anti-voter suppression project can make under a Trump administration but im they're at least trying

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

CubsWoo posted:

Will this be the ground at the Andrews golf course or the ground at his Hawaii retirement home

gently caress if i know but he'll probably be useful somehow

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

More than you bitch!!!!!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

drat, thats some fake rear end fake news lyin media gently caress them lamo

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Her Policy was poo poo, and her accomplishments were riding coattails.

It's funny to me that Hillary didn't want to marry Bill because she thought it was a bad career move, and in some kind of gay black Hitler universe, she's was probably right.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

More than you bitch!!!!!

nope!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

poo poo!

(Neat)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Not a Step posted:

I dunno. Held a press conference?

She had a fuckton but they didn't get covered very well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Popular past Presidents are great but lets remember that both Bill and Barack couldn't drag Hillary across the finish line.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
in retrospect, the real take-away from Bills convention speech is that Hillary really, really should have stuck to her guns in college and told his sketchy rear end to take a freaking hike

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bushiz posted:

It's funny to me that Hillary didn't want to marry Bill because she thought it was a bad career move, and in some kind of gay black Hitler universe, she's was probably right.

Now I'm imagining the parallel universe where lifelong activist lawyer Hillary Rodham runs against Trump.

Though I'm thinking more of the other parallel universe where Nobel Peace Prize winner Hillary Clinton and beloved philanthropist Donald J. Trump take one look at our timeline, destroy the Einstein-Rosen Bridge, and vow never to speak of it again.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

poo poo!

(Neat)
a neat poo poo: a turd mountain sculpted into the form of a pulitzer prize (because that's how much it's gonna be worth now)

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Obama did work for Gamaliel though who are pretty dope

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

Wow only two years as an organizer and only eight in his last job? Yeah we need to kick this unqualified clown outta here!

Can we just not cannibalize one leader on our side for at least a few years? Can we have just one positive symbolic figure that people can rally around even if he is, in fact, imperfect and sometimes Bad or even Wrong?

Or we could burn everything down, I guess.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There are some very talented leaders in the Democratic Party, but they have been suppressed by the current DNC. Once we get the current leaders pushed to the background, the talented ones will emerge.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tiny Deer posted:

Can we just not cannibalize one leader on our side for at least a few years? Can we have just one positive symbolic figure that people can rally around even if he is, in fact, imperfect and sometimes Bad or even Wrong?

Sure. Bernie Sanders. :twisted:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Tiny Deer posted:

Wow only two years as an organizer and only eight in his last job? Yeah we need to kick this unqualified clown outta here!

Or we could burn everything down, I guess.

or maybe we can have one president who doesn't get steamrolled his entire presidency because he falsely assumes the GOP will play nice

really, uh, makes u think

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/media/clinton-presser/ posted:

Hillary Clinton finally holds a press conference
Hillary Clinton gave her first formal press conference in more than nine months on Thursday [September 8th, 2016] and, all things considered, it was a non-event.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

or maybe we can have one president who doesn't get steamrolled his entire presidency because he falsely assumes the GOP will play nice

really, uh, makes u think

We had two! They were FDR and Johnson, and they were dirty as gently caress.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Like, actual real press conferences where reporters asked unvetted questions and she gave answers, or staged events where she gave non-answers and constantly referred people to her website?

Cause I can see why no one would cover the later.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Employee Rights Act posted:

1. Secret Ballot Elections
2. Union re-certification - once a place of employment hits 50% turnover from the original union ballot, an automatic union recertification vote is triggered
3. Opt-in (rather than opt-out) for union political contributions
4. Require a majority of all affected employees (including management!) rather than a majority of those who voted for certification elections
5. Employees will not be required to disclose their information to union organizers (even after a shop is organized!)
6. "Decertification coercion prevention"
7. Require all union votes, even to strike, be via secret ballot
8. Criminalize union threats (lol, they already are, but whatever)

expected to be one of the first bills introduced this January, also expected to pass :smugdon:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Aurubin posted:

We had two! They were FDR and Johnson, and they were dirty as gently caress.

Please lets have more dirty as gently caress problematic hate machines as President so things get done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i think the thread will think much better of him if/when he starts promoting the progressives instead of give indications that he's paranoid about them loving up because they're going to lose the nonexistant reaganite vote

is Perez not progressive?

There seems to be a lot of anger from some people at him running but really that just turns the race from 'a progressive runs uncontested' to 'two progressive people run for a seat they both can do good in', no one's been actually able to articulate the problem other than he's 'establishment' with no real definition.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

I still think the campaign was horribly mismanaged, HOWEVER:

CNN was airing trump rallies live and unedited for over a year, THE on;y way Hillary could even get a second of positive screentime was to mention trump or burn him somehow. The media were not interested at all in talking about policy or accomplishments, just loving emails. Obama had so much help sowing his change narrative as the first black president, but the media had already blown their load on that in the 08 primary, so they all just went to SCANDALWATCH THREAT LEVEL OMEGA. Almost no media outlets even explained what the podesta emails were or where they came from, they just said MORE HILLARY EMAILS and everybody just assumed it was an extension of her being sneaky and untrustworthy
nice false narrative

clinton has poo poo policies
clinton has poo poo accomplishments

clinton couldn't hold any large rallies without katy perry headlining because she generates zero enthusiasm for her bland platform

clinton spent the campaign attacking trump instead of pushing any progressive platform. clinton's ad buys were overwhelmingly negative. clinton had a way higher proportion of negative attack ads than trump.

much of the media coverage of trump was negative

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

jeez man i mean i just dont understand the benefits of keeping this guy aroudn
yeah just ask trayvon martin or eric garner or anybody in flint

republicans: "a black man was elected president, so racism is over! that means you're not allowed to talk about race anymore!"
democrats: "a black man was elected president, but racism didn't end immediately! that means you're not allowed to talk about race anymore!

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

loquacius posted:

Sure. Bernie Sanders. :twisted:

:( why you gotta mess with me like that, I like Bernie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not a Step posted:

Like, actual real press conferences where reporters asked unvetted questions and she gave answers, or staged events where she gave non-answers and constantly referred people to her website?

Cause I can see why no one would cover the later.

she had a lot of conferences dude, the reason there was 'controversy' was because she did poo poo like have one that was mostly with minority news outlets and we got to hear Very Serious Journalists explain how that's not a REAL press conference without saying 'those people'.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There seems to be a lot of anger from some people at him running but really that just turns the race from 'a progressive runs uncontested' to 'two progressive people run for a seat they both can do good in', no one's been actually able to articulate the problem other than he's 'establishment' with no real definition.
he is a progressive union guy but his realpolitik positions like being pro-TPP and pro-DAPL are not helpful and promoting compromise is no longer an option in congress these days

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

he is a progressive union guy but his realpolitik positions like being pro-TPP and pro-DAPL are not helpful and promoting compromise is no longer an option in congress these days
is it possible to be a progressive union guy and pro-TPP

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have said repeatedly that my main objection to Perez is that he hasn't had electoral experience since the Montgomery County Council and a Maryland DA run he was disqualified from. Ellison has been elected with increasing margins and vote shares, is a good fundraiser, and has the correct positions.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

in retrospect, the real take-away from Bills convention speech is that Hillary really, really should have stuck to her guns in college and told his sketchy rear end to take a freaking hike

I legit wouldn't be surprised if this was the decision that ultimately held her back from being president.

Serf
May 5, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

is it possible to be a progressive union guy and pro-TPP

sure, if you're also pro-eating the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'll grant he was in a gross squishy place with TPP but what has he said/done about DAPL?

• Locked thread