Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

gotenks is the big trash and has never been liked by correct people

Goten fading into the background and Trunks being forced to watch his much-cooler alt universe self be a hero is a fitting punishment for those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Team Four Star's been counting down the best DBZ villains, and they released a bonus episode talking about Dragon Ball Super villains!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkweS0l9iLo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I vehemently disagree with them on Zamasu.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dexo posted:

I vehemently disagree with them on Zamasu.

yeah, same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They tend to really, really dislike Super in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

They tend to really, really dislike Super in general.

I never got the impression they dislike Super so much as they are pretty traditional Dragonball fans and that includes a pretty healthy dose of the ol' Power Level Frustration.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They sounded critical, that's not the same as disliking it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The way Kaiser pronounces Goku irks me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"It requires subtlety blah blah for him to not come across as egotistical and one-dimensional"

But that's the point of Zamasu being full ham??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"It requires subtlety blah blah for him to not come across as egotistical and one-dimensional"

But that's the point of Zamasu being full ham??

"Egotistical and one-dimensional" is sort of the point of Zamasu, yes. He's not a deep villain, he's an arrogant shithead who is so in love with himself that he literally teams up with himself and then fuses with himself. Egotism is his defining trait.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Saying he wasn't mocked enough also seems strange to me given they spent a lot of time, yanno, mocking him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And, I mean...have we ever had a deep dragon ball villain, if you don't count reformees? Frieza is "I'm awesome and the strongest and want to rule the world forever." Cell is "I'm awesome and the strongest and want to eat people and destroy the world forever." Buu is "BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!" And they're all good villains!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The way Kaiser pronounces Goku irks me.

Well youu see the courrect Japanese prounounciatioun is Goukuu~~~

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zamasu is a good, fun villain but I thought the fights he was in were kinda meh compared to what you got from previous big bads. tho his powerset being "not even I know what's happening at this point!" was p funny

pushing the characterization angle as his problem is weird to me since I liked him

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I don't see how that came across they don't like it. Apart from how Beerus is a bit more different than super, I think they liked what it had.

Granted yeah I loved Zamasu because he was just full ham ego.

I mean we got literally evil bro hug. That was probably the best part.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. It was fun to see how other characters bounced off of how smug and hilariously self-absorbed he was. That's really all he needed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Zamasu's fights were great because they heavily leaned into him being immortal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Yeah I don't see how that came across they don't like it. Apart from how Beerus is a bit more different than super, I think they liked what it had.

Granted yeah I loved Zamasu because he was just full ham ego.

I mean we got literally evil bro hug. That was probably the best part.

When they feel the need to end the video saying "we know we've dumped all over it but we totally do like Super outside of the movie retllings" it's not really surprising that people can come away from it thinking TFS aren't fans of Super.

I think the BOG and ROF sucks bit almost goes without saying though, it's basically a given to me.

How do they generally feel about Dragonball? If they've said, that is.
(Pre Z, if clarification is needed)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

When they feel the need to end the video saying "we know we've dumped all over it but we totally do like Super outside of the movie retllings" it's not really surprising that people can come away from it thinking TFS aren't fans of Super.

I think the BOG and ROF sucks bit almost goes without saying though, it's basically a given to me.

How do they generally feel about Dragonball? If they've said, that is.
(Pre Z, if clarification is needed)

As far as they said they frigging love Dragonball and frequently rate it super-highly on their various polls and such.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

I never got the impression they dislike Super so much as they are pretty traditional Dragonball fans and that includes a pretty healthy dose of the ol' Power Level Frustration.

I have heard them argue GT is better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Isn't that just the one dude on their team who really likes GT? I remember watching a bit of their Xenoverse 2 playthrough and it was one guy going "you know GT isn't that bad.." and the other two going "lol, yes it is."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't that just the one dude on their team who really likes GT?

No, the other one. The one that looks like taka kinda.

You are thinking of the fat one who is really into Pokémon.

What the gently caress autocorrect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

As far as they said they frigging love Dragonball and frequently rate it super-highly on their various polls and such.

At least they didn't gently caress that up too then.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kaiser despises GT and I think everyone there sees its potential, but dislike how much it hosed up. They definitely like Super more, but it's not without its criticisms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They also presumably made these videos before the Yamcha baseball episode proved unarguably that at very least Super > GT.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I heard them say that the worst parts of Super are worse than GT, which isn't necessarily wrong. I don't think they've ever at all said that GT is flat-out better.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I definitely agree with their criticisms on the villains and the series, but I do feel Zamasu, flaws and all, is genuinely one of the better villains the franchise has had. Black especially is leagues better than all three of the GT villains that actually did anything from sheer imposing presence and effectiveness alone, and I'm pretty sure they'd agree with that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Call me controversial, but it does not matter to me, what team four star think of dragonball super.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Namtab posted:

Call me controversial, but it does not matter to me, what team four star think of dragonball super.

drop some more controversial opinions please

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

drop some more controversial opinions please

Goku is a good dad

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

No, the other one. The one that looks like taka kinda.

You are thinking of the fat one who is really into Pokémon.

What the gently caress autocorrect.

Kieran, Kaiser's husband I think. He's mentioned that he's a "GT apologist".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, I disagree with them more about Beerus than I do Zamasu. That we didn't see the "dirty" part of his job was, in my opinion, to BoG's detriment. In the movies, all of the more unsavory aspects of his character are strictly informed, and not shown.

Beerus should be like a dangerous animal, restrained by his own whims and selfishness, and I think Super has a better handle on that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gt had good ideas but it very much came across as having been written by dragonball z fans who didn't quite get dragonball z

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Augus posted:

I heard them say that the worst parts of Super are worse than GT, which isn't necessarily wrong. I don't think they've ever at all said that GT is flat-out better.

Eh the worst part of Super is at most bland.

I have also heard them say the manga adaptation is better which is just hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly, I disagree with them more about Beerus than I do Zamasu. That we didn't see the "dirty" part of his job was, in my opinion, to BoG's detriment. In the movies, all of the more unsavory aspects of his character are strictly informed, and not shown.

Beerus should be like a dangerous animal, restrained by his own whims and selfishness, and I think Super has a better handle on that.

Yeah, Beerus is supposed to be scary and funny at the same time. He isn't a serious real threat like a Frieza or Cell but part of the joke with him IS that he's absurdly insanely dangerous and sometimes that needs to play off.

I'd say "it's hard to make a mass murderer into a funny character" but uh half of DBZ's cast.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I wish they stuck with it being like BoG where it's more or less a job to him but yeah, if he's pissed off he can bump your world up a few thousand in the queue.

E: Also Super is heavily flawed, moreso than DB and Z already were, and everyone watching either knows that and is willing to look past it or is deluding themselves about it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well yea, the entirety of the first 2 arcs were just rehashes of some movies. the second movie wasn't even that good in the first place! its also had a history of issues with the animation. I don't think anyone is gonna say that super never had problems

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super isn't more heavily flawed than Z or original that is crazy.

Super does have similar flaws as Z which as an adult you might notice more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Also Super is heavily flawed, moreso than DB and Z already were, and everyone watching either knows that and is willing to look past it or is deluding themselves about it.

Eh.

I don't really agree, no. Super is flawed but I think the dislike of the first two arcs is a bit overblown and mostly boils down to "the movies existed and I don't want to see the same thing twice!" The first two arcs are the weakest of the show by far but not unwatchable and I genuinely think Super RoF is better than RoF film.

Beyond that I think Super is about on-par with the DB/Z anime. I don't think it is as good as the DB manga was but that is because the DB manga was wonderfully paced and drawn whereas the anime always overdrew things out to me.In fact one thing I like about Super is that, aside from the first arc, it doesn't feel as overly drawn out. There are places they could have cut but still.

The animation is occasionally quite poo poo but the animation was occasionally quite poo poo in Dragonball Z so again, it's mostly a case of "this is the same flaw I was expecting" rather than "this is noticeably worse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Super is doing as well as it can without yhe good villains like Cell and Super Janemba imo

• Locked thread