Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
I still have to support (read: make sure content is readable) in IE9 so Browserstack is useful. You can open the nested browser's own dev tools so that helps at least though running a VM with the browsers in question is still best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I just ignore ancient IE versions at this point -- I don't even mention them to clients. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, and so far I've had zero complaints in the past five years anyway.

It's been so nice to be able to use things in HTML5 and CSS3 without anyone complaining. I wonder how much of that is because more people are looking at sites on their phones and tablets, which bypass that whole outdated IE problem.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

BJPaskoff posted:

It's been so nice to be able to use things in HTML5 and CSS3 without anyone complaining. I wonder how much of that is because more people are looking at sites on their phones and tablets, which bypass that whole outdated IE problem.

This is a major factor now, yeah. It also means that we're stuck worrying about old versions of Safari on iOS and WebView on Android.

It's amazing having every browser vendor start to keep things up to date. Firefox dev edition just updated to release 52, which adds CSS grid support. Check out that link if you haven't seen what the current spec can do. Both Firefox and Chrome are expected to have implementations released in March. Safari's working on it as well, but hasn't said when it'll be in a stable release. IE and Edge shipped with an earlier version of the spec, and the Edge team has the current standard in their backlog.

"Evergreen" browsers on the desktop are amazing, but we're going to have to deal with out of date mobile devices for a while. For better or worse, those devices often won't last more than five years...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can you guys help me decide between Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer as an OSX alternative to Paint.NET? I've been doing all of my web dev recently on a Macbook Pro thanks to work and so now I can consider software that was previously unavailable to me on Windows. I've heard good things about Sketchapp, too, but that seems more oriented towards UI mockups? I just need something with layers that'll let me quickly crop and save images, add (and edit previously added) text with basic effects like outlines, and draw arrows and stuff for when I'm prepping screenshots for documentation.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IAmKale posted:

Can you guys help me decide between Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer as an OSX alternative to Paint.NET? I've been doing all of my web dev recently on a Macbook Pro thanks to work and so now I can consider software that was previously unavailable to me on Windows. I've heard good things about Sketchapp, too, but that seems more oriented towards UI mockups? I just need something with layers that'll let me quickly crop and save images, add (and edit previously added) text with basic effects like outlines, and draw arrows and stuff for when I'm prepping screenshots for documentation.

Designer is a vector app more like Sketch. Photo is a raster app a la photoshop. If you are getting photoshop files as input, Photo is the winner. If you are just adding things on top of flat images, and need to edit later, any of them will work.

Photo and Designer both have free trials, so try them!

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
So Adobe XD launched a Windows Beta today. Anyone have any experience using it for web design? How does it compare to Photoshop?
Basically I tried Affinity Designer, liked it, but not enough to try to get my team to switch to it and adjust workflows and I want to know if XD might be worth it eventually.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Maleh-Vor posted:

So Adobe XD launched a Windows Beta today. Anyone have any experience using it for web design? How does it compare to Photoshop?
Basically I tried Affinity Designer, liked it, but not enough to try to get my team to switch to it and adjust workflows and I want to know if XD might be worth it eventually.

I've been trying it out today, it's pretty feature bare. No guides, masking, or layers panel.

I will say that it runs amazing, designing it for Windows 10 only was a good move. I'll definitely be switching from Photoshop to it when they've added a few more features in the coming months, but right now it's just kind of annoying to use.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm building a kiosk app for touchscreens. As hard as it is to believe, these devices won't have access to the internet so I've had to make something that works offline. I considered installing LAMP or XAMPP on the individual devices but these are going to be used at an event while I'm on my Christmas holiday so I wanted to avoid the chance of Apache or PHP or something not working.

It's a real simple information thing so I've just made it with local HTML files that Chrome opens fine. The problem is it uses a lot of high resolution imagery and without any kind of server there doesn't seem to be any caching going on at all. There's a large background image for every page and you can see it flash white before the image loads.

Are there any options for improving performance when I'm just loading pages with the file:/// protocol?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

IDK how caching could help since it'd presumably just be reading the files off of the same flash they already live on. You'd probably be better served by compressing the images (since it's a kiosk, no sane person is going to stick their nose in the screen) or making some kind of interstitial loading screen. Yeah, I know the latter is kinda gross, but :shrug:

E: compressing and maybe also making them progressive JPGs since that's basically designed to make something appear as quickly as possible

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 14, 2016

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

some kind of interstitial loading screen

Is that possible on file:// pages? I don't think you can use JS there.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The only limits with file:// and Chrome are inability to use WebWorkers, everything else is fair game.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

IDK how caching could help since it'd presumably just be reading the files off of the same flash they already live on. You'd probably be better served by compressing the images (since it's a kiosk, no sane person is going to stick their nose in the screen) or making some kind of interstitial loading screen. Yeah, I know the latter is kinda gross, but :shrug:

E: compressing and maybe also making them progressive JPGs since that's basically designed to make something appear as quickly as possible

Thanks, I'll look into that. I should have mentioned that the kiosks are 42" touchscreens.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nexus6 posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that. I should have mentioned that the kiosks are 42" touchscreens.

Oh, I did assume tablets, so there are more options other than web servers if they're running off of full, un-gimped operating systems. You could try setting up an in-memory filesystem to serve the images off of, for example. That'd force them into memory (twice, but RAM is cheap so hopefully you've got headroom).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A few years back, I had a similar problem with IE on a kiosk web site. I was able to fix some image timing problems by making a list of all the images and loading them silently with an XHR on the first page. It's loving stupid, but it forced the images into the browser's cache. Might help your situation, too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IDK if the speed of your storage is your limiting factor, but you might try keeping your files on a RAM drive.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rt4 posted:

A few years back, I had a similar problem with IE on a kiosk web site. I was able to fix some image timing problems by making a list of all the images and loading them silently with an XHR on the first page. It's loving stupid, but it forced the images into the browser's cache. Might help your situation, too.

Just wrap the entire site in a frame and have a frameset keep the images in cache.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

XHR/AJAX doesn't seem to work with file://: I get CORS errors

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

Just wrap the entire site in a frame and have a frameset keep the images in cache.

That's really clever

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

nexus6 posted:

XHR/AJAX doesn't seem to work with file://: I get CORS errors

You can flip that and all sorts of things off by starting Chrome (and other browsers) with flags / switches. Google will learn you how because I forget.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

IAmKale posted:

I use Pixelmator for quick edits like you describe. Sketch is a vector-based tool that is basically _the_ Adobe stack alternative in the design world, but it is absolutely useless for bitmap work.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I'm not sure if this is a script or a css question.

I have a small arrow icon that is horizontal on big screens. The icon is done with a class.

What I'd like to do is make the arrow icon vertical (basically changing the class) when it's on a small screen or resized.

Can i use media queries for that? Or would I have to use jquery to listen to the browser change size and then change the class?

Any help is appreciated.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
You could do it with CSS media queries alone.

If you want to use the same icon and simply rotate it with a transform:

code:
// Style on default ("big") screens
.foo {
	position: relative;
	transform: rotate(0deg);
}

// Style on small screens
@media screen and (max-width: 640px) {
	.foo {
		transform: rotate(90deg);
	}
}
Or, if you want to use a different icon/glyph entirely:

code:
// Style on default ("big") screens
.foo:before {
	content: "\e091";
}

// Style on small screens
@media screen and (max-width: 640px) {
	.foo:before {
		content: "\e092";
	}
}

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

MrMoo posted:

This is old school af, respect!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I'm building a kiosk app for touchscreens. As hard as it is to believe, these devices won't have access to the internet so I've had to make something that works offline. I considered installing LAMP or XAMPP on the individual devices but these are going to be used at an event while I'm on my Christmas holiday so I wanted to avoid the chance of Apache or PHP or something not working.

It's a real simple information thing so I've just made it with local HTML files that Chrome opens fine. The problem is it uses a lot of high resolution imagery and without any kind of server there doesn't seem to be any caching going on at all. There's a large background image for every page and you can see it flash white before the image loads.

Are there any options for improving performance when I'm just loading pages with the file:/// protocol?

<body style="background: {hex colour)">

Near instant load, just pick a similar colour to the image that loads. The other stuff is a better solution, but this is idiot proof.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

well why not posted:

<body style="background: {hex colour)">

Near instant load, just pick a similar colour to the image that loads. The other stuff is a better solution, but this is idiot proof.

"Every time you make something idiot proof, God makes a better idiot."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm remaking my portfolio site, and last time I made it I got into a bit of trouble with linking to sites because my old employer said it "messed up their analytics". That was probably just an excuse for them to not allow me to use the sites I made for them on my portfolio, but I was wondering if there was a way to mask where the links are coming from so a client won't see my portfolio site as the one that directed to their site.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm remaking my portfolio site, and last time I made it I got into a bit of trouble with linking to sites because my old employer said it "messed up their analytics". That was probably just an excuse for them to not allow me to use the sites I made for them on my portfolio, but I was wondering if there was a way to mask where the links are coming from so a client won't see my portfolio site as the one that directed to their site.

Use a URL shortening service. Also, unless you had a terrible employee contract with them, you're well within your rights to link to a public site on the internet from your portfolio.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, tell them to show you where your contract says you can't link to a site on the internet. Aside from that you could maybe use nofollow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow if you care about the analytics for a company you don't work for, for some reason. I'd tell them to suck it and that they're welcome for the free pagerank.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's probably just some SEO doofus making things up and pitching a fit about it because that's most of their job in my experience

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No offense but how much traffic could you really be sending them? Are they THAT low traffic?

Also linking to live sites is the devil anyway.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm sure it has everything to do with the employer not wanting "their work in someone else's portfolio," because I've seen it happen dozens of times and each time the company in question would invent some idiotic justification.

IMO give the company credit in your portfolio (eg. "Produced during my employment with [company name]"), and link to the site if you want. They probably won't do anything. The worst that could happen is that their lawyer might send you a takedown request, but no one is getting sued over putting public links in their portfolio. e: Unless you signed some draconian employee agreement that prevents you from using work in your portfolio.

rt4 posted:

Yeah it's probably just some SEO doofus making things up and pitching a fit about it because that's most of their job in my experience

https://www.stilldrinking.org/trolling-marketers-for-profit-and-pleasure

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I ignored them for months until they called me using a number I didn't recognize and I foolishly picked up, and my old boss threatened to sic a lawyer on me. At that point I'd already found a new job and didn't care enough to fight them, and had found a bunch of legal-looking things online that I thought said any work I did for them was their property and they could ask me to take it down. I did at one point sign a non-compete agreement that had already expired years beforehand. Now it's years later and my design skills have improved immensely, so I wouldn't even put those sites on my portfolio anymore. Besides, they've since lost almost all the clients they had from when I was working for them, whether I worked on the projects or not.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

BJPaskoff posted:

I ignored them for months until they called me using a number I didn't recognize and I foolishly picked up, and my old boss threatened to sic a lawyer on me. At that point I'd already found a new job and didn't care enough to fight them, and had found a bunch of legal-looking things online that I thought said any work I did for them was their property and they could ask me to take it down. I did at one point sign a non-compete agreement that had already expired years beforehand. Now it's years later and my design skills have improved immensely, so I wouldn't even put those sites on my portfolio anymore. Besides, they've since lost almost all the clients they had from when I was working for them, whether I worked on the projects or not.

Did you leave that job under good terms? Or are they just generally pissed at you for something?

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.
edit: fixed!

UGAmazing fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 17, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb-assed question that for the life of me I can't find any straight answers about. For HTML5 number inputs, how do you specify the way the field renders commas and decimal points? We want to display "fancy" input fields where numbers look like 1,000.00 instead of straight 1000, and we couldn't figure out a way to do that with anything other than text inputs. There's some posts out there involving the step attribute and what language the element is set to, but none of those seem to work for me. Anyone have a better solution?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Pollyanna posted:

Dumb-assed question that for the life of me I can't find any straight answers about. For HTML5 number inputs, how do you specify the way the field renders commas and decimal points? We want to display "fancy" input fields where numbers look like 1,000.00 instead of straight 1000, and we couldn't figure out a way to do that with anything other than text inputs. There's some posts out there involving the step attribute and what language the element is set to, but none of those seem to work for me. Anyone have a better solution?
What code do you have where it isn't working? Also, what OS and Broswer are you testing these in (and need it to work in)?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
To be fair, the landsscape is pretty lovely for the number type: https://www.slightfuture.com/webdev/html5-input-number-localization - things may improve but only towards interchangeable decimal punctuation, not 'pretty' number rendering. My conclusion in other places I've done this is you're out of luck if you need to use the number input type.

You CAN use a text field with the 'pattern' attribute (check https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input) to restrict a text field to the desired characters though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just curious what you guys like better: Bootstrap layout (fixed or fluid) or just using flexbox?

I've been trying to dive deeper into Bootstrap design and it's a pain in my loving rear end. Flexbox is just easy to me.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Grump posted:

Just curious what you guys like better: Bootstrap layout (fixed or fluid) or just using flexbox?

I've been trying to dive deeper into Bootstrap design and it's a pain in my loving rear end. Flexbox is just easy to me.

Doesn't Bootstrap 4.x make use of Flexbox? Might be worth having a look at that. I do agree that Flexbox is a hell of a lot easier all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
Bootstrap is my go-to grid system because it's super easy to get a responsive site up but you have to explicitly set all of those different column classes for different browser widths like, class="col-sm-12 co-md-push-3 col-md-6 col-lg-12" and classes become ugly and bloated. For real sites/apps I would use sass/susy or whatever preprocessor and bake that stuff into your nicely named classes. So I guess if you're struggling with bootstrap and flexbox makes sense to you just use flexbox- you'll avoid the ugly bloated class names thing too.