Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Sonata Mused posted:

1999 has a really cool muted color thing going on, which I always liked. New series is really bright, which was off putting at first.

The best part about this is this is due to bad quality DVDs iirc- Original 1999 version apparently wasn't supposed to have that cool muted color and there are versions without it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was such an odd mini-arc, what with how the manga completely abandoned physical training as soon as nen was introduced

Biscuit is still fairly heavy on training Gon and Killua's physical abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Biscuit is still fairly heavy on training Gon and Killua's physical abilities.
Yeah, It'-s a recurring thing every arc for there to be a training period for the main cast. Gon and Killua are always being tested by someone on their side (or at least a neutral party) and then the "final exam" is whoever the arc antagonist is. Only real exception was Chimera Ants only because Gon doesn't really use the sparring he did with Knuckles for anything, it's more to show off what Knuckle can do. Killua does grow from the sparring he did with Shoot though, or at least it helps him identify the needle in part.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
biscuit's training seemed very physical, but once gon and killua got better at nen they breezed through it. but then, killua certainly didn't need any physical training and gon is an enhancer so their results may not have been typical.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I just started re reading this from chapter 1 because I'm bored and I noticed this time: All the guys who fail the hunter exam are fat guys with ponytails.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

EmmyOk posted:

The 2011 makes changes I don't like as well at certain points, nothing major but certainly nigglesome. For example in the manga Gon, Kurapica, and Leorio are individually able to open the gate to the Zoldyck manor whereas in the anime all three have to work together to open even the smallest one. It's clearly a plot point to express unity and teamwork but it's needless when the show does that so well already and takes away from how much the gang improved during their stay.

2011 had a rough start

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Having not read the manga or watched the 1999 anime, I prefer Gon & co having to work together to open the Zoldyck gates. I appreciate the slow and steady power build up as the HxH progresses and being able to move several-ton stone doors so soon after the Hunter exam is kind of jarring to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

I just started re reading this from chapter 1 because I'm bored and I noticed this time: All the guys who fail the hunter exam are fat guys with ponytails.

Nah, there was that fat japanese guy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tonpa may have failed the exam but he saved the day

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The 99 series has a few other baffling changes, like the weird obsession with making Kurapika seem female (like hiding his chest from Leorio), and also making it so the three dudes in Heaven's Arena were just faking being disabled. Like, why?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

The 99 series has a few other baffling changes, like the weird obsession with making Kurapika seem female (like hiding his chest from Leorio), and also making it so the three dudes in Heaven's Arena were just faking being disabled. Like, why?

I've read the team behind the 99 series thought that Kurapika had to be a woman because of how emotional and yada yada he was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He isn't that emotional? I mean Gon is a loving train wreck on that front.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
We're talking about pre-Chimera Ant, and until that point Gon was more hot-blooded than emotional.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kurapika should have been a woman just to even the up the ratio a bit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kurapika is a girl have you not heard his voice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He isn't that emotional? I mean Gon is a loving train wreck on that front.

The 1999 anime also downplayed Gon's weird elements and made him more generic shonen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The 1999 anime also downplayed Gon's weird elements and made him more generic shonen.

well, they weren't really as obvious before the chimera ant arc. there were hints here and there that this kid was seriously hosed in the head, but they weren't ever the focus and you could always just chalk it up to gon being a shounen fighting manga protagonist.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait so what was the reason for the delays? Like I knew he had back problems, did a doctor figure out why?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for most of his career he has worked while laying on his stomach, which destroyed his back.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xun posted:

Wait so what was the reason for the delays? Like I knew he had back problems, did a doctor figure out why?

In college he apparently picked up a habit of laying on his stomach to draw.

With the work schedule of a successful mangaka this would basically destroy his back. He's had various author comments and tweets hinting at various horrible medical problems relating to that for the past several years.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xun posted:

They're doing surgery, physical therapy, and proper rest I guess.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Togashi sacrificed his future to reach his maximum potential now, leaving him without his Nen much like Gon. Now he has been given a second chance and must re-learn how to draw manga again without relying on the power of laying on his tummy

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Just made the mistake of catching up on the manga so that I may wait for an update in a year. Holy poo poo it was worth it though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rumours of HxH's return date from Jump Ryu#21 magazine this month are wrong. No return announced.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hisoka is my friend and told me that hxh will return this spring.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.

Stairmaster posted:

hisoka is my friend and told me that hxh will return this spring.

What did you do to get Hisoka to want to kill you?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

fluffykittys posted:

What did you do to get Hisoka to want to kill you?

Personally I stole the last snack cake from him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
My reaction to the lack of new chapters:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I've been reading Naruto. You might of heard of it - its basically the poor man's Hunter x Hunter.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Its about ninjas and basically they go on an epic adventure to save the world. Check it out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've been watching Jo X Jo*

*TN: Jo means hunter

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

e X posted:

My reaction to the lack of new chapters:

Update trolling like this is poor form.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
On the plus side, the dub on Toonami has finally gotten into Nen in the last few weeks. Also the voice actors seem to be getting more comfortable in their roles, Killua sounds way less like a girl than he did earlier.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TriffTshngo posted:

On the plus side, the dub on Toonami has finally gotten into Nen in the last few weeks. Also the voice actors seem to be getting more comfortable in their roles, Killua sounds way less like a girl than he did earlier.

I almost think that was intentional, trying to make Killua seem more childish and then as he's more honest about his assassin past, he acts like himself more. Either way, way prefer the voice now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Does this mean that when they hit the Chimera Ants arc he's gonna get a deep voice cause that's when he gets super jacked

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Silver2195 posted:

Update trolling like this is poor form.

Yes, how dare I share a funny piece of fanart I liked.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 15, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

e X posted:

Yes, how dare I share a funny piece of fanart I liked.

this, except unironically

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

that, but partially ironically but in a way that people aren't sure if it is or not.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Finished this a few weeks ago. Togashi needs to at least outline things so madhouse can animate the rest of it, if he doesn't plan on making the rest of it in manga form.

As for the chimera ant arc: jesus loving christ, gon. :stare:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i just finished the episode where gon and killua juke nobunaga and decided to take a break cause the next episode is just so balls to the walls (the rest of the arc is i guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

drjuggalo posted:

i just finished the episode where gon and killua juke nobunaga and decided to take a break cause the next episode is just so balls to the walls (the rest of the arc is i guess)

You're entering territory where for me the series went from good to great.