Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

well you see according to The West Wing S04E11...

Season 4 focuses on schools!

Sheeeeeeeeittt Ed Balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

which is the more Voxy thing - using The West Wing or Game of Thrones to explain politics

Parks and Recreation

Serf
May 5, 2011

Not a Step posted:

I have a bottle of Xanax I was prescribed without asking, which I think is the height of whiteness.

pretty fuckin much

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:lol: just wanted to quote this beauty again

corruption among unions is vanishingly small, mostly due to the absolute insane amount of regulation and hurdles we have to go through, including quarterly audits, LM reports, etc. we're also continuously, and I mean continuously, monitored and hosed with by various anti-union organizations. it's only 'a problem' because people like you google 'union corruption' and then paste the first few links you find into a something awful post and then say 'WELL ANY CORRUPTION AT ALL IS BAD BECAUSE IT MAKES UNIONS LOOK BAD.'

here's a pro tip: literally everything we do makes us look bad to certain parts of the population, including organizing (or "coercion," as they like to frame it), card checks (or "intimidation", as they put it), and strikes (or "union muscle/intimidation")

despite being one of the most obnoxiously dumb posters ITT, you sure manage to buy hook-line-and-sinker Chamber of Commerce talking points :thumbsup:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's not that identity politics is bad per se, it's just that in practice identity politics rhetoric has evolved into antagonistic, impenetrable, off-putting, us-vs-them, zero sum, echo-chamber bullshit that is, in practice, somewhere between useless and counter-productive because creating appealing rhetoric is super important. If practitioners of identity politics could be trusted to talk to normal people in a way that would get normal people to nod their heads they can go right ahead, but instead it's a garbage fire of blathering about white fragility and other assorted stupid poo poo and lol at anyone who thinks that helps minorities or anyone in any sort of practical sense.

(IMO)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nonsense posted:

All I want for Christmas is Mook

goddamnit Mariah Carey

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

corruption among unions is vanishingly small, mostly due to the absolute insane amount of regulation and hurdles we have to go through, including quarterly audits, LM reports, etc. we're also continuously, and I mean continuously, monitored and hosed with by various anti-union organizations. it's only 'a problem' because people like you google 'union corruption' and then paste the first few links you find into a something awful post and then say 'WELL ANY CORRUPTION AT ALL IS BAD BECAUSE IT MAKES UNIONS LOOK BAD.'

here's a pro tip: literally everything we do makes us look bad to certain parts of the population, including organizing (or "coercion," as they like to frame it), card checks (or "intimidation", as they put it), and strikes (or "union muscle/intimidation")

despite being one of the most obnoxiously dumb posters ITT, you sure manage to buy hook-line-and-sinker Chamber of Commerce talking points :thumbsup:

me: "any amount of corruption at all is bad no matter how 'vanishingly small' it is"
you: LALALALALALA NO U

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

turns out we should have be referencing Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia...

"The gang elects more corporate millionaires and loses forever."
*theme song plays*

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Heh, you silly peeps suspicious of the dems are pretty crazy, screwed in the head :smug:

*just lived under 8 years of weak, compromised lovely dem leadership and lost what was supposed to be an unloseable election*

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

me: "any amount of corruption at all is bad no matter how 'vanishingly small' it is"
you: LALALALALALA NO U

no amount of corruption is as bad as You're Posts

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is someone in the fuckin democratic party thread saying unions are bad i skipped posts cause y'all post too much

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nonsense posted:

Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation is total fiction because it has a Libertarian in it who's likable and can actually do things

Serf
May 5, 2011

bump_fn posted:

is someone in the fuckin democratic party thread saying unions are bad i skipped posts cause y'all post too much

hahaha you know it

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

which is the more Voxy thing - using The West Wing or Game of Thrones to explain politics

both at the same time

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm starting to think Mr. Sexman is trolling. Also I doubt he's really a professional.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bump_fn posted:

yeah we're alll corrupt, and i have just the 4 google links to prove it!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bump_fn posted:

yes "any amount of corruption is bad" somehow equals "unions are bad" according to this thread

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
all corruption is bad but pretending that any organization can exist without any corruption at all ever is retarded, and talking about corruptions and unions has been a massive hit-job against not just unions but the idea of unions, to weaken workers and the negotiating power

the fact that supposed 'progressives' have fallen for this pretty obvious piece of agitprop is evidence of the sad state of america

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

resar posted:

both at the same time

mm, thats a powerful technique...

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yes "any amount of corruption is bad" somehow equals "unions are bad" according to this thread

Any amount of voter fraud is grounds for Voter ID laws and the closing of all DMVs in majority black neighborhoods imo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it was only by the grace of my union bothering to actually threaten to strike that i had health insurance for most of my 20s

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Clearly you are just asking honest questions and not using allegations of corruption to undermine one of the last bulwarks of popular power.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All corruption is bad and that's why I'm going to go live in the woods.

They have WiFi and central heating in the woods, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rudatron posted:

all corruption is bad but pretending that any organization can exist without any corruption at all ever is retarded, and talking about corruptions and unions has been a massive hit-job against not just unions but the idea of unions, to weaken workers and the negotiating power

it's almost like that isn't my point at all

if you respond to someone saying "here's an actual documented case of a corrupt union official that's was in the newspaper and everything" with "the amount of corruption in unions is vanishingly small so this effectively never happened" people are not going to take you seriously

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bump_fn posted:

I will take a bold, but principled stance and say the Police and Correction Officer Unions are BAD.

I will also take an equally "crazy" stance and say that criticism of specific aspects of unions, is actually GOOD.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"I saw a guy from the resistance steal a pack of cigarettes once, maybe they are not all that better than the nazis?"

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Literal fact: Republicans are better at identity politics than Democrats. Their version of identity politics at least isn't loaded with academic gibberish and they're generally better at framing the off-putting part of their identity politics into more subtle and deniable dog whistles. Think about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

Clearly you are just asking honest questions and not using allegations of corruption to undermine one of the last bulwarks of popular power.

I'm trying to get union supporters to make better arguments, which will increase their effectiveness and strengthen the labor movement in this country

this obviously means I hate unions and want to see them destroyed

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

"I saw a guy from the resistance steal a pack of cigarettes once, maybe they are not all that better than the nazis?"

liberals.txt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

it's almost like that isn't my point at all

if you respond to someone saying "here's an actual documented case of a corrupt union official that's was in the newspaper and everything" with "the amount of corruption in unions is vanishingly small so this effectively never happened" people are not going to take you seriously

I'm not trying to make a point that unions are bad, but let me hold unions to an impossibly high standards and make a big scene out of each one of their slip ups.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bump_fn posted:

it was only by the grace of my union bothering to actually threaten to strike that i had health insurance for most of my 20s

sorry, gotta scrap the whole thing now

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Was he a leader of the resistance stealing the pack of cigarettes from other members of the resistance and then telling them if they don't like it they can go join the nazis?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
y'all are literally making the "it's just a few bad apples" arguments that copfuckers do except you're doing it for corrupt union officials, no matter how rare a breed those officials might be

this. is. a. bad. thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm trying to get union supporters to make better arguments, which will increase their effectiveness and strengthen the labor movement in this country

Ahh, we need less solidarity, more political messaging. Fits in with your broader theory of the case that the "lowest common denominator" will catch on if we say "economic democracy" or whatever.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Let's all sit in a circle in a park so I can tell you about a movement more concerned with process than actually accruing political power called Occupy Wall Street. We'll call a lot of things problematic

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

Ahh, we need less solidarity, more political messaging. Fits in with your broader theory of the case that the rubes will catch on if we say "economic democracy" or whatever.

We need solidarity and better messaging. Don't be disingenuous.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You are trying to get union supporters to spend all their energy on defending a potentially infinite number of inconsequential minutae of local office politics, while the very institution of organized labour is being viciously attacked from all sides, including the supposed progressive left.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this messaging is making me thirsty

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

y'all are literally making the "it's just a few bad apples" arguments that copfuckers do except you're doing it for corrupt union officials, no matter how rare a breed those officials might be

this. is. a. bad. thing.

except something tells me there's a bit of a difference between cops and union officials

you're making lovely tired arguments and then backpeddling and claiming devils advocate when people point that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

You are trying to get union supporters to spend all their energy on defending a potentially infinite number of inconsequential minutae of local office politics, while the very institution of organized labour is being viciously attacked from all sides, including the supposed progressive left.
No. Just having them acknowledge that sometimes The Union doesn't care about the workers and their leaders have become part of The Problem. The correct response is to discuss accountability and how to empower the worker to deal with that type of situation which 100% exists as the few high-profile cases from this year demonstrate.

• Locked thread