Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a mod to decrease the frequency of AI raiding? Maybe changing the "can't raid you" malus Vikings receive if they get their rear end kicked from 5 to 10 or even 15 years?

I want to rule Europe from Brugges, but the Vikings will not leave me alone even though I must have killed hundreds of thousands of them over the last 200 years.

e: Also, is there a list of worthwhile mods anywhere? I'm done with Ironman so I'm done with achievements, so I might as well mod out the rear end.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vengarr posted:

Is there a mod to decrease the frequency of AI raiding? Maybe changing the "can't raid you" malus Vikings receive if they get their rear end kicked from 5 to 10 or even 15 years?

I want to rule Europe from Brugges, but the Vikings will not leave me alone even though I must have killed hundreds of thousands of them over the last 200 years.

e: Also, is there a list of worthwhile mods anywhere? I'm done with Ironman so I'm done with achievements, so I might as well mod out the rear end.
Yeah if you are doing well and your lands are flush with cash they raid the gently caress out of you and it is annoying as hell. When I was playing as a Berber country and raiding the med constantly I would either just pull my raiders back to crush the Viking raiders that sailed to Algeria, or raise my demense levies, but there are just so drat many of them that I have been trying to find ways to invade Scandanavia so I can kill all of them in their homes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vengarr posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah if you are doing well and your lands are flush with cash they raid the gently caress out of you and it is annoying as hell. When I was playing as a Berber country and raiding the med constantly I would either just pull my raiders back to crush the Viking raiders that sailed to Algeria, or raise my demense levies, but there are just so drat many of them that I have been trying to find ways to invade Scandanavia so I can kill all of them in their homes.

I keep wanting to turn on the "everyone can raid" option, because everyone did, but my nightmares are haunted by visions of the post-apocalyptic hellscape that result. A plain of ash and char from sea to sea and the dozen survivors playing pass the parcel with the three coppers and half a mouldy apple that's all that remains of the world's wealth, on and on until the sun burns out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vengarr posted:

When you start a new game, one of the options is to disable raiding for everyone.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
On the topic of cultural retinues, since the post said to ignore the archer retinue.

Is the longbow cultural retinue no longer completely broken? You used to just be able to roll around with a bunch of them and a culturally appropriate commander and just win every battle in the first skirmish phase.
Plus you could use them to assault holdings down superfast.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Torrannor posted:

When you start a new game, one of the options is to disable raiding for everyone.

Oh, I didn't see that! That works, thanks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

On the topic of cultural retinues, since the post said to ignore the archer retinue.

Is the longbow cultural retinue no longer completely broken? You used to just be able to roll around with a bunch of them and a culturally appropriate commander and just win every battle in the first skirmish phase.
I heard that this got nerfed into the ground, yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

Nerfed to the ground. Units now have siege strength. In the past, only the number of soldiers mattered to get faster sieges, now each archer is worth only a fraction of heavy infantry. And they were similarly nerfed in combat, each archer has much lower offensive power than before. Even the Massive Longbow Volley can't save this.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Thats too bad. It was hilariously broken.
I remember doing a Hæsteinn game where I went Wales and culture shifted so I could be Norse religion with Longbow cultural retinue and also have tanistry succession.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

MrBling posted:

culturally appropriate commander

longbows are culture not costume :wales:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Playing Vikings almost feels like cheating to me. The only slightly-tricky part is reforming Norse Paganism so you can get Primogeniture, and even that is just a matter of "wait till Europe is distracted, then put out a war call for free troops and SKOL"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think I missed my chance to reform paganism in my Sweden start. France has two of my holy sites and I'm sitting at 30ish percent moral authority. Should I just restart? I hate gavelkind.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

tuyop posted:

I think I missed my chance to reform paganism in my Sweden start. France has two of my holy sites and I'm sitting at 30ish percent moral authority. Should I just restart? I hate gavelkind.

As long as you have/can easily get 3 Holy Sites that is enough. You just need to get to 50% moral authority (if I remember correctly) and you should be able to get that somewhat easily by razing a bunch of churches. Sailing down to Rome and sacking it whenever you can will help up your moral authority fast. Plus there are some other counties in that area with churches as the main holding. Plus you have 2 in northern germany as well.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

catlord posted:

I don't know if you can keep raiding if you're Catholic, but you definitely can if you're Muslim, so maybe think about popping over the Iberia or something and picking up a concubine.
You can raid as Catholic, provided you're either Norse/Altaic/Magyar/Berber culture or Nomadic/Tribal government. Note that's specifically Norse culture, not Danish/Norwegian/Swedish.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

tuyop posted:

If your start date is 769 Francia has a good chance of going into a lot of civil war/temporarily independent kingdoms. If for some reason they get super solid you're kind of hosed. The other early start date is a bit easier because the karlings are more manageable because they get into a lot of fights and you get your opportunities.

Like the man said you can up your moral authority with raiding but having holy sites is no small thing either. The dangerous thing with moral authority is all the other people loving up holy wars and dragging moral authority down.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

tuyop posted:

Looting a church holding gives 1% moral authority for 10(?) years.

Go set the British Isles on fire, friend

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Sacrificing the head of another religion in a blot will give you some too now, head to Rome.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Sacrificing the head of another religion in a blot will give you some too now, head to Rome.
That's just good advice in general, as it has lots of churches, usually not a lot of troops and yeah, you get the chance of nabbin' tha pope.

If only the same could be said for the Caliph or Patriarch

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

tuyop posted:

You should be able to grab all three Scandinavian sites, and then bum around Ireland for a few years burning churches. I just did this with 2 groups of approximately 1000 troops each, and you can shoot your moral authority up pretty fast. Just keep circling them around Ireland sieging whatever gets repaired. Don't forget the inland sieges as well. You can't get raid money from them, but you can still burn them down and get hostages. If the Franks burned Irminsul, you'll also be at a penalty that may be expiring soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

darthbob88 posted:

You can raid as Catholic, provided you're either Norse/Altaic/Magyar/Berber culture or Nomadic/Tribal government. Note that's specifically Norse culture, not Danish/Norwegian/Swedish.

Now that you say that, it does sound familiar, I just don't play raiders very often and forgot. Maybe I should convert to Orthodoxy and join the Byzantines. I would certainly feel safer not having to worry about the Byzantines deciding they wanted Crete back.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

Now that you say that, it does sound familiar, I just don't play raiders very often and forgot. Maybe I should convert to Orthodoxy and join the Byzantines. I would certainly feel safer not having to worry about the Byzantines deciding they wanted Crete back.
Until they revoke your duchies and you can't do anything about it.

Never become a Byzantine vassal with less than a kingdom, I say.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Until they revoke your duchies and you can't do anything about it.

Never become a Byzantine vassal with less than a kingdom, I say.

Will the AI do that if you're Orthodox? Usually I find that so long as I have the same religion as an AI liege they'll leave my titles alone (unless I'm sitting on a lot of them).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Similarly, please give the Zoroastrians and/or appropriate Muslim dynasties the Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegār.

What other legendary things are floating around? The Byzantine Emperor could potentially have Longinus or the Holy Lance, though they're only one of a couple people who claimed to have it during the middle ages. Charlemagne obviously has Joyeuse, and there's a couple of other famous swords floating around at this point, such as that of Boleslav III of Poland. Maybe the Iron Crown of Lombardy? Several of the major kingdoms have their own crown jewels or end up with them during the game's time period, so I imagine a lot of them will have generic crown jewels rather than unique ones.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The important question is of course, who owns Jesus' foreskin?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Crown of St. Stephen is a big one. The Shroud of Turin pops up during the game's time period too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I hope my cynical characters can fabricate holy relics and then pawn them off to others.

"hhmmm, yes, this is totally a branch of the world tree Yggdrasill my good man, yours for only a 100 gold!"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hey Darkrenown, if you're still looking at bug fixes, it's possible for your Court Physician to think you have the bubonic plague before the Black Death has emerged for the first time.

Unless it's not a bug and he's the guy who started it :aaaaa:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Quorum posted:

What other legendary things are floating around? The Byzantine Emperor could potentially have Longinus or the Holy Lance, though they're only one of a couple people who claimed to have it during the middle ages. Charlemagne obviously has Joyeuse, and there's a couple of other famous swords floating around at this point, such as that of Boleslav III of Poland. Maybe the Iron Crown of Lombardy? Several of the major kingdoms have their own crown jewels or end up with them during the game's time period, so I imagine a lot of them will have generic crown jewels rather than unique ones.

Pieces of the True Cross, of course. The Ark of the Covenant. Various bits and pieces of the Buddha (there was a tooth of his in India). The Sacred Cloak of the Prophet Mohammed. The Sword of Mars (Attila the Hun).

e: Tizona and Colada, the swords of El Cid.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 14, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Vengarr posted:

e: Tizona and Colada, the swords of El Cid.

I think Tizona got lost at one point but not to worry, you can forge a replacement out of bright gold and name it Pina

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The important question is of course, who owns Jesus' foreskin?

Which one?

kingturnip posted:

Hey Darkrenown, if you're still looking at bug fixes, it's possible for your Court Physician to think you have the bubonic plague before the Black Death has emerged for the first time.

It's not exactly a bug, the Plague or similar had ravaged Europe before so educated people would know of it and could fear its return as it eventually does. Maybe from a player PoV you know he's wrong because the outbreak hasn't started yet though...but when the map is covered in Measles and he thinks you have the Flu you can also guess he's a bit off.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 14, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Which one?

Not the one around Saturn, obviously.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Quorum posted:

I think Tizona got lost at one point but not to worry, you can forge a replacement out of bright gold and name it Pina

Colada was the one that was lost, but it was during the Ck2 time period. The name apparently refers to how it was made and not the drink El Cid preferred to buttchug.

Also just thought of all the Greek and Roman stuff, like the Altar of Victory.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Finally there might a good place for a 5 dolla mini dlc called "The Swag of the Medieval Period" or something

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Finally there might a good place for a 5 dolla mini dlc called "The Swag of the Medieval Period" or something

Crusader Bling II.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a diplomatic action to tell people we already got one?

e: Or maybe that should be a siege event...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prism posted:

Crusader Bling II.

Is this the long-awaited hip-hop version of the main theme?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Prism posted:

Crusader Bling II.

But then people would start asking about where Crusader Bling I DLC went.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

karmicknight posted:

But then people would start asking about where Crusader Bling I DLC went.

Oh yeah I think they ended up calling that one The Republic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a diplomatic action to tell people we already got one?

e: Or maybe that should be a siege event...

Requires French or Norman culture.

I think the last DLC for CK2 will cost $20 and have no content apart from enabling playable Hellenic Pagans. It will also be released the day before CK3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Prism posted:

Crusader Bling II.

Crusader Bling II: A solid Gold Throne from which I rule

• Locked thread