Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
About 5, I think that while yes, he did want part of that, I think the larger goal you're talking about is just a side objective of his. In the last scene in the living world before Noctis goes to sacrifice himself, I think Ardyn and Noct reach an understanding of each other and Noct is even like "yeah, rest in peace dude, you had it rough, but you're still an rear end in a top hat."

As for 1, he's a god. He doesn't really need a reason other than "man, gently caress these humans."

2: It's entirely possible that the corruption he absorbed actually did twist his thoughts and personality to be evil, but considering we never get an unbiased account of what happened all those centuries ago (Bahamut being the closest we have, and even he's like "yeah, this guy was a hero, but gently caress him, he didn't do what he was supposed to do"), his actual state of morality is open to interpretation.

Noctis SPECIFICALLY is the Chosen One. He couldn't get any old king or prince of Lucis to do what he did, it had to specifically be Noctis as ordained by fate/the gods/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
One of the interesting elements of the Fabula Nova Crystallis games and the games that sprung up out of that corpse - Gods, such as they are, but also generally just authority figures, are ineffable, inscrutable, and don't share the morality that the actual people in their stories seem to adhere to. It's less "the gods are evil" or "the gods are good" and more "the gods are completely mysterious and could do anything at any time, because nobody understands how they think or what they actually want." It's actually cool, in my opinion.

Leviathan, for example, is clearly the subject of her own mythos and worship rites - she mentions a capital-F Feeding upon the "specks" until none are left, meaning she (and maybe more stuff like her or that serves her) will straight up devour humanity as a result of being cranky that she was awakened at all. Shiva is helpful in the sense that she aids you and seems to want to see you succeed, but to both her and Bahamut, the idea that the King must die is non-negotiable - "the blood price must be paid." There is very little sense of mortal fairness or justice in what happens through FFXV and what I played of FFXIII and Type-0 - the Gods do what they do and if you don't like it or understand it, well, too bad.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's weird because the plot point about the Izunia overthrowing Ardyn is the last sliver that remains from the Versus XIII concept that Noctis' family was supposed to be mafia-like and not necessarily good guys but because nothing else in the game hints toward such it just feels odd and is hard to believe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

It's weird because the plot point about the Izunia overthrowing Ardyn is the last sliver that remains from the Versus XIII concept that Noctis' family was supposed to be mafia-like and not necessarily good guys but because nothing else in the game hints toward such it just feels odd and is hard to believe.

When that plot twist first happened my initial thought was actually different.

I thought he was saying that HE was the former king and Izunia was the name of the healer, and in penance for demonizing what amounts to Jesus he became a cursed being and sought to wipe out his own family line as penance, taking on the name of the healer to show his dedication. Obviously that ins't how it turned out to be but I admit I sort of liked what my initial thought was more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

Eh, I don't really think so. It's not like "My ancestor was an rear end in a top hat" is something you need some big setup for to make it believable, it's practically a given. Insomnia and the "mafia" didn't exist at that point. It's not like his actions in screwing over Ardyn would particularly reflect on his family or line at large, especially since he was basically promoted to King of the Hill right afterwards. We can't say much about VS13 or how much it would differ storywise from XV, but here's one thing I'm certain of: when Nomura wanted to make Insomnia and the Lucian line more "mafia-like", it was only because that was cool.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I don't think Nomura knew what he wanted to do with Versus XIII anyway. Who knows how long the mafia thing actually stuck around in development.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, honestly who knows what "more mafia-like" meant. The furthest that thought got might have been "the kings of Lucis wear tailored suits instead of armor and cloaks".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Royal Arms are just increasingly illegal guns. The final one is just a switch that when pressed fires a nuke at your enemy from orbit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, honestly who knows what "more mafia-like" meant. The furthest that thought got might have been "the kings of Lucis wear tailored suits instead of armor and cloaks".

Dino's voice actor playing Noctis?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Dino replaces Ignis as the fourth member of his goon squad. Nothing changes except all of Ignis' lines are voiced with Dino's voice.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Gologle posted:

Dino replaces Ignis as the fourth member of his goon squad. Nothing changes except all of Ignis' lines are voiced with Dino's voice.

the worst change that could possibly happen

ignis 4 life

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
"eyy, i've come a up with a newa recipie! momma mia!"

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"eyy, i've come a up with a newa recipie! momma mia!"

Noctis: *switches weapon while out of combat*
Ignis: HEY, I'M WALKIN' HERE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frankly this is sounding like a straight buff to Ignis.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
First off I'll leave this here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49sZhHgtaY One of these days SE will wise up and release a Cooking with Ignis Cookbook for me to buy.

Second I just got to Chapter 13 after spending way too much time in chapter 1-8. A couple thoughts as I go into the long haul of the end.

-Up to this point this game has been a blast running around doing stuff in the open world and connecting with my bros has been great. Especially all the misadventures where I wander into places I have no business being in but being too stubborn to turn back.
- As far as the story goes, I feel like Chaperts 10-12 could have been used to do what they started out doing, by going and getting the rest of the royal weapons. With Ardyn loving with Nocts head the entire time. Also normally I don't ask for these but I would rather get exposition dumps in CGI scenes instead of "Several days later" or "several weeks later" like just a little to show what the hell is going on would be nice.
-Also those chapters really feel like they are rushed to get you into Noct's head. You don't have to time to react to the crazy because the main character isn't given the time to process it either which makes his actions a little more frantic as those chapters move on. I feel like the direction is supposed to make you the user feel as confused and lost as Noct feels as his world falls down around him. That's how I read it anyway, that doesn't make it "good" per say but i definitely empathize with Noct because he's losing his mind and all I can do is keep pushing him forward.

All in all this game is fantastic and I'll be a sucker for that season pass.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That cooking video is amazing. I want to make stew now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
A-are those brussel sprouts in that stew because that looks amazing!

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

ImpAtom posted:

Frankly this is sounding like a straight buff to Ignis.

I can never decide how I feel about Ignis. When he's yelling at me to turn my fishing rod towards the fish I'm like 'aye good shout Ignis you loving weapon, I'm not a retard' then he got hurt and I swore an oath to avenge him no matter what :qq:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

One of these days SE will wise up and release a Cooking with Ignis Cookbook for me to buy.

I would totally buy one. I want my friend Ignis to teach me how to cook!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't dislike Ignis but he's honestly genuinely barely a character. He's just sort of there to cook and clean and drive you around and he basically fails to express any emotion that isn't A NEW RECIPIE for most of the game while also lacking any sort of backstory or history or anything of the sort. Even when he gets injured it is mostly to have Gladio and Noct react to it, he just kind of stubbornly soldiers on and gets over it.

He has some great lines but he's not really a character so much as a walking Smart One archetype.

On the other hand I still like him better than Gladio.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Concerning one of the dumbest endgame twists, I'd have been way less surprised if it had actually been Ignis who was artificially developed in an underground government lab.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ImpAtom posted:

I don't dislike Ignis but he's honestly genuinely barely a character. He's just sort of there to cook and clean and drive you around and he basically fails to express any emotion that isn't A NEW RECIPIE for most of the game while also lacking any sort of backstory or history or anything of the sort. Even when he gets injured it is mostly to have Gladio and Noct react to it, he just kind of stubbornly soldiers on and gets over it.

He has some great lines but he's not really a character so much as a walking Smart One archetype.

The only thing Gladio is good for is being a wall of HP and being part of Iris' tech

So what we need to do is have Iris, Daemon Hunter Extraordinaire, replace Gladio.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ImpAtom posted:

The character's interactions and genuine sense of friendship are endearing and the game's biggest strength. The characters themselves are paper thin stereotypes with nothing interesting going on beneath the surface. The fact they still pull off the roadtrip/friendship part of the story is a testament to how good the banter is between them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Concerning one of the dumbest endgame twists, I'd have been way less surprised if it had actually been Ignis who was artificially developed in an underground government lab.

Yeah, to be my perfect husband

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Pyroi posted:

So what we need to do is have Iris, Daemon Hunter Extraordinaire, replace Gladio.

Replace the whole crew with Iris, Aranea, Biggs & Wedge.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Megasabin posted:

The fact they still pull off the roadtrip/friendship part of the story is a testament to how good the banter is between them.

This is definitely the thing they get very right in the game. I don't think even the ending would have hit so well if the banter didn't make me like these characters a lot. It's a real shame none of this was fleshed out, because this game could have really been something special.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Agreed.

Those guys are great.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I liked the fight with Aranea and wish I could have fought her again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aranea was a fun character and I wish she was getting a DLC instead.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Aranea was a fun character and I wish she was getting a DLC instead.

She has a real personality despite her little screentime. She's sassy and has a sense of justice. Not deep, but likeable.

Her fight was also baller AF

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

:yeah:

Ignis is worth it just for the puns. And his line after you beat Adamantoise

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

To anyone putting off Adamantoise because they think it will take 2 hours: Just Do It. The fight is a complete joke difficulty wise. He will hardly ever damage you. Eat golden tail soup and wail on his flipper for a while. I just spammed the warp-strike for Trident of the Oracle and healed after every 2 or so . I think I was around level 65 at the time and it took make 12-15 minutes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It wasn't until the credits rolled that I fully realized why Blind isn't a status effect in this game :v:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Maybe I completely missed it, but was it ever addressed in game why kid Noctis has a wheelchair?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It wasn't until the credits rolled that I fully realized why Blind isn't a status effect in this game :v:

Hahahaha, gently caress.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

kaempfer0080 posted:

To anyone putting off Adamantoise because they think it will take 2 hours: Just Do It. The fight is a complete joke difficulty wise. He will hardly ever damage you. Eat golden tail soup and wail on his flipper for a while. I just spammed the warp-strike for Trident of the Oracle and healed after every 2 or so . I think I was around level 65 at the time and it took make 12-15 minutes.

I must've done something wrong because I was level 100 and it still took me an hour. Couldn't get into a decent groove because no matter where I locked onto its flipper Noctis just didn't want to string a combo together. Didn't help that it kept moving all over the place either.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Maybe I completely missed it, but was it ever addressed in game why kid Noctis has a wheelchair?

No, it's kind of covered in Brotherhood, though. When Noctis was a kid he was attacked by a Naga daemon that left him injured. He was sent to Tenebrae to recover there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

He was injured as a kid and went to Tenebrae to heal, which is when he got close to Luna. That's also when the Niflheim attack happened and Luna and Ravus' mother was killed.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I know Justice Monsters has some cool rewards for playing it, but after less then 10 minutes playing it I can't stand it. Its pinball with 1 giant flipper and is not fun. Ill probably look at a YouTube guide and cheese it for the rewards.

If it was any good there would have been posts here about it. It sucks. :argh: I'm hoping DLC will add a card game or the traditional poker/blackjack.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Shoren posted:

I must've done something wrong because I was level 100 and it still took me an hour. Couldn't get into a decent groove because no matter where I locked onto its flipper Noctis just didn't want to string a combo together. Didn't help that it kept moving all over the place either.

No, it's kind of covered in Brotherhood, though. When Noctis was a kid he was attacked by a Naga daemon that left him injured. He was sent to Tenebrae to recover there.

The hitboxes are kind of weird on the flippers, you can lock on to one far away and warp strike to it, but you'll hit one closer to you and still do 9999 damage. Or your warp strike won't connect and you do no damage.

I didn't have any problems using the Trident because the warp strike throws you up in the air first. I also stood in between two of the flipper-claws. That's correct turtle anatomy I think?

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I know Justice Monsters has some cool rewards for playing it, but after less then 10 minutes playing it I can't stand it. Its pinball with 1 giant flipper and is not fun. Ill probably look at a YouTube guide and cheese it for the rewards.

If it was any good there would have been posts here about it. It sucks. :argh: I'm hoping DLC will add a card game or the traditional poker/blackjack.

What are the rewards? I spent about 45 minutes straight playing it waiting to get a game over because I was afraid there was some trophy I was almost about to get. I collected like 45 treasure boxes or whatever expecting something cool to happen when I was finished, but it just went back to FFXV. Can you actually get things from this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Naglfar is a bad superboss.

Like, what, actually, the hell. I felt like I had to be missing something, like some timing sequence for when exactly to dodge his various attacks or an order to them so I can get away from the one thing he does where he launches the spines all around himself that doesn't seem to be dodgeable at all, and best as I can tell, nope, he really does seem to just be a check to see if you've bought like fifty potions and a bunch of phoenix downs for you to chug while you wail on him solo because none of the AIs can dodge his lasers. Like I'm sure all of his moves can be dealt with somehow - I'm pretty sure I managed to somehow dodge the bullshit spine thing at least once - but it feels completely unreliable. Also the fight went on for an eternity and not a peep from Ramuh.

• Locked thread