Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Knormal posted:

Try throwing multiple 40 gallon+ terrariums into the mix. drat reptiles.

I took care of a Bearded Dragon over the summer for my mom's school and I've thought of getting one since. They're cool little creatures but their poo poo is the most vile smelling crap ever.

Also I'd always be afraid that the dogs would try and eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I took care of a Bearded Dragon over the summer for my mom's school and I've thought of getting one since. They're cool little creatures but their poo poo is the most vile smelling crap ever.

Also I'd always be afraid that the dogs would try and eat them.

Bearded dragon poo poo smells exactly like the reptile house at any zoo I've ever been to and has grown inoffensive to me, which is fortunate because a good chunk of my transformers currently live on top of my vivarium.

Vivariums make nice shelves for people who are bad at putting up shelves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The art in Lost Light was terrible.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The third one has some decent stretches to accompany Deep Wang; it's better than the second movie and there are a lot of explosions and Chicago is in it... for a while. (When a movie has a large city that's isn't stupid New York or Los Angeles, it makes me happy. Plus I've lived in Chicago most of my life.) There are a lot of good parts in that movie equaled by the kind of dumb.

In Age Of Extinction, all the Transformers you care about are murdered offscreen and then there's statutory rape evasion on a technicality, Marky Mark assures us constantly that he's a scientist, and The Largest City (it's in China, shockingly) is mentioned several thousand times while Megatron is remade out of Lego (living on THROUGH THIS ARM or something) and Evil Red Bumblebee is an actual character because gently caress using an Interesting established character when another mute fella will do. Real Bumblebee is STILL a mute Rodimus stand-in. There is a fat ballerina (Hound,) a terrible Japanese honoraburu samurai stereotype (Drift,) and an rear end in a top hat loosely based on Mirage (Crosshairs.) And a guy with a gun for a face.

Also there's Dinobots for a little bit.

Don't worry I know the plots (more or less) and watched any clips with actual robots doing stuff in them so I wouldn't have to waddle through the insanely boring human parts. It's weird that only by the fourth movie the robots finally get any sort of (very basic) personality and say some stuff and interact with each other, even if they're mostly assholes. I guess Megatron and Sentinel in the third had at least the potential to be very interesting.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of think that ROTF had the best designs. Some of the Decepticons were so loving bizarre and off the wall and impressive.

Hell yes, Ravage and most of the constructicons are legit cool (Devastator not so much). Mixmaster is still one of my favorite designs both onscreen and with the incredible toy. DOTM megatron and Shockwave are genuinely neat designs onscreen too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Onmi posted:

I liked... Optimus Prime more than Lost Light. And I think I'm a little wavy on both issues. They just feel like weaker outputs than I was hoping for.

The same for me, but Lost Light was loving abysmal to the point it felt like a circle jerk. I hope it gets better

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Swolewave.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

one odd thing is that the original "bayformer" design was to make the robots look like they really transformed from cars, they are made of car parts. they are alien car robots.
they got away from the alien part - making them into metal humans, like sentinal prime has facial hair millions of years before the first human and aoe's cast is a bunch of robots each sporting their own human culture stuff - and now they're getting further away from the part where they look like they came from an alt mode
I like to think of it as a progression of the robots' relationship with humans.
In the first ones, the Autobots are trying to resemble something familiar to humans, but only really get it "close enough" and basically end up looking like skeletons that are wearing car parts .
The decepticons don't care about interacting with humanity for the most part, so end up with weirder shapes.
By the time the 4th movie redesign comes around, the robots have been around long enough to have a better idea of how to interpret Earth's visual language.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Onmi posted:

I liked... Optimus Prime more than Lost Light.
Yeah, me too.

But to be frank the LL "cliffhanger" just made me sigh. I don't give a gently caress about that, and there's nothing compelling about spending time there. It's going to full on edgelord and meh. I mean, to put into perspective, it was over two years ago that Skids crossed the portal. That was an interesting cliffhanger. Did we tie that up yet? Oh, no, Skids is a corpse.

Meanwhile the OP cliffhanger was interesting since they're still pretty unexplained but it could just be a stolen ship. I think Wheelie stole one of those years ago.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Lost Light read like someone had grabbed all of the back issues of MtMtE and attempted to copy the style without any of the wit, charm, brevity or warmth the original had. It was all re-hashed story beats: mysterious new arrivals with mysterious back stories but this time it's Anode and The Other Bot instead of Skids! It's the functionists! Again! Look, I wrote these characters into an unwinnable situation so I'm going to use the most Deus Ex Machina reason to get out of it! Again!

I mean, the poo poo with the Geobomb... gently caress I guess it might have something to do with what happened to Rung & Drift, but saying it just sort of fizzled out is the worst kind of cop out

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Prime's groupies in OP #1. I'd try to buy the entire team if Roulette weren't an absurdly expensive exclusive.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Anyone had issues getting stuff from Anime Export? I've been on the lookout for MP Inferno for a couple weeks now. I've never had any problems with them in the past.

This is what tracking shows:

Here is what my MP Rodimus tracking looked like:

Should I be worried?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

TheDK posted:

Anyone had issues getting stuff from Anime Export? I've been on the lookout for MP Inferno for a couple weeks now. I've never had any problems with them in the past.

This is what tracking shows:

Here is what my MP Rodimus tracking looked like:

Should I be worried?

Did you get cheap shipping? It will show up in two weeks with no updates to tracking.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It will show up as I am leaving your house for the airport with no explanation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe I'm a childish fool hooked on 80s cartoon black and white morality, but man, I'm tired as gently caress of all the human conflict in the IDW series. Everyone is all 'grr we hate aliens" and when they do team up it's a miserable through gritted teeth experience. Bad enough when superheroes are constantly fighting each other.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

It depends which Transformers and humans are teaming up though (I'd kill for a Thundercracker spin off mini)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
UK Peeps! A1 Toys have an absolute bargain for sale!

SDCC FortMax for £99!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean

The Transformers mostly showed up and wrecked their planet.

And then the supposedly good one teamed up with one of the Decepticons that did it.

And then they more or less annexed the place.

I think they're justified being peeved. This isn't "Superman doesn't like Batman's way of doing things, grrr", this is "wow, these aliens keep loving with us why should we trust them?"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thundercracker is the best thing to come out of the Shane/Costa/Barber flow of ideas, it's so strange and good.

I hope they nominate him as the councilmember for Earth and just have a mini of him interacting with Starscream. Also Brawn can be there, and be like, remember that time I put you flat on your rear end King Starscream?

WickedHate posted:

Maybe I'm a childish fool hooked on 80s cartoon black and white morality, but man, I'm tired as gently caress of all the human conflict in the IDW series. Everyone is all 'grr we hate aliens" and when they do team up it's a miserable through gritted teeth experience. Bad enough when superheroes are constantly fighting each other.
The IDW stuff is pretty complicated, a lot of the initial stories were very pleasant and then following the Shanepocalypse where Megatrong rained death on the Earth because reasons it has been a tense matter. Personally I don't think the massacre of half the Earth's population is the sort of thing they should casually retcon away so I accept it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Thundercracker is the best thing to come out of the Shane/Costa/Barber flow of ideas, it's so strange and good.

A mini with Thundercracker, Buster, DOC and Bob would be the best thing. Just the four of them having adventures

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think they're justified being peeved. This isn't "Superman doesn't like Batman's way of doing things, grrr", this is "wow, these aliens keep loving with us why should we trust them?"

I'm not saying it isn't realistic but it's a tiring story beat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So... what? They should gloss over it? Pretend it didn't happen?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No she just wants to complain about it and that's fair?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

A mini with Thundercracker, Buster, DOC and Bob would be the best thing. Just the four of them having adventures
I now have the idea of drawing a comic of Jetfire explaining how Buster wouldn't be the first dog in space to Thundercracker

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TFRazorsaw posted:

I did like that in OP #1 the President has to exasperatedly explain to Optimus that she's just the head of one country, not the entire planet. I could just imagine her rolling her eyes off-panel when Prime sarcastically asks for permission to deal with that thing in the Alps, which is still not in America.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My ideal alternative would be not having done it in the first place, and the series immediately after All Hail Megatron being trash garbage validates that point, I feel. I don't have a problem with Transformer stories on Earth in theory but it's all been distrust and misunderstood fighting between nominal good guys. After a certain point of grittiness, it's hard to care.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lost Light is a slow start to a new story arc, because the last arc left so much garbage to clean up, but who knows? Maybe it'll turn out well after this. James Roberts is going to have to work his way back into my good graces, but Megatron wreaking havoc all across the functionist-ruled alternate Cybertron is a good place to start.

Optimus Prime is real good though. Maybe a little too on the nose of current events (or maybe not, considering how the fact that there is a very real threat to their society being posed by a certain warlord who slaughtered the entire previous regime really changes the context). I can't help but draw comparisons between that and the time Jazz killed a guy the last time he was on Earth.

I get that the way that human society is normally written in these books can get grating at times, but I'm tentatively hopeful. Maybe Optimus's efforts will finally pay off. Either way, it looks like we're in for another piece being added to the picture: the quintessons, I think?.

What's the state of the rest of the comics right now anyways? I've kind of lost track of all the series. There's got to still be a book on Cybertron dealing with Starscream, Windblade, and Sentinel Prime, is that and these two books all the series going right now?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think my primary complaint about Lost Light, and I've been having a discussion on twitter about it, is that it ends going back to Robert's baby of a functionist universe, which has been seeded all over MtMtE... but is really bad as a stepping on point for new readers. This is especially galling as there is a 5 page "recap" attached which kind of defeats the point of "jumping on point"

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the state of the rest of the comics right now anyways? I've kind of lost track of all the series. There's got to still be a book on Cybertron dealing with Starscream, Windblade, and Sentinel Prime, is that and these two books all the series going right now?

Optimus Prime is dealing solely with Earth, Lost Light is MtMtE part 2, Til All Are One is dealing with Cybertron

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly at this point I think I'd prefer they just reboot the setting(and they definitely should have not used the old IDW GI Joe continuity for this or tied ROM so heavily into GI Joe's current situation), as there's little benefit from continuing on with this one as there is little room to cover without getting heavily redundant for pretty much any of the post Revolution series except maybe Micronauts(and even that one feels like a redundant GOTG knockoff)

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's Transformers: Till All Are One, and yeah it's the same three as before with two new names (I feel like they should have just kept Windblade running for the extra five months so it could be a clean sweep).

It's really blowing my mind that the post-Revolution relaunch version of the no-subtitle Transformers ongoing straight up does not have Transformers in the title. I mean, sure, Optimus Prime is enough in pop culture that nobody is going to be even remotely confused, but this may be the first time the word just isn't on the cover of any entry of this franchise. Lost Light's trade dress actually makes Lost Light way bigger than Transformers too, unlike Till All Are One or any of the pre-Revolution books.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think my primary complaint about Lost Light, and I've been having a discussion on twitter about it, is that it ends going back to Robert's baby of a functionist universe, which has been seeded all over MtMtE... but is really bad as a stepping on point for new readers.
The ship sailed on that one. From the perspective of a new reader:
  • A book called Lost Light isn't spending its first arc actually looking for, you know, the Lost Light
  • Megatron is an Autobot with very little explanation, even though there's a loving story reason to do so
  • The Necrobot saving the sassy ladybot thing is a completely bizarre way to open a new story
  • As much as I liked the new bots, isn't a colonist from Caminus hanging out on Luna-2 being chased by a Decepticon 500 years ago kind of a complete canon trainwreck?
  • Also the Necrobot is dead. Who?
  • Also Skids is dead. Who? Carwash?
  • Rung and Nightbeat emerge from the ground with little explanation
  • And then suddenly we're in gimpbot land with no real explanation

It's a middling issue for MTMTE, but for a new jumping on point? I feel like this wasn't planned as such.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Transformers: James Roberts is exactly the writer we deserve

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, I was confused about whether Robots in Disguise was still trucking along somewhere, or if Windblade was still going, or if there was some new miniseries sprouting out of nowhere.

Lost Light is definitely the most gratuitously mired in continuity of the three for now, which is weird, considering MTME's roots in having a mostly fresh start going off in a whole new direction that people were really comfortable in recommending for new fans.

And why does Swerve need to put Skids's memorial on his crotch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He REALLY liked Skids.

EDIT - I'm not reading LL, but I looked at some of the stuff regarding Anode, and... Is it just me or does Roberts not really seem to GET Caminus or its society? Don't get me wrong, I love Nautica, but everyone he writes from that colony doesn't seem to fit with the society as portrayed by Scott and Barber.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 15, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

EDIT - I'm not reading LL, but I looked at some of the stuff regarding Anode, and... Is it just me or does Roberts not really seem to GET Caminus or its society? Don't get me wrong, I love Nautica, but everyone he writes from that colony doesn't seem to fit with the society as portrayed by Scott and Barber.
He absolutely does not give a gently caress about other people's portrayal of Caminus, no. Go back and read the arc about how Camien passive-aggressive "art first" friendship works and compare that to the Windblade/Chromia relationship.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Rhyno posted:

Still watching Masterforce and realized one of my cats was missing. He's my most social and loving cat, if I'm sitting down he has to be in my lap. I found him curled up in a closet, picked him up and went back to the couch. He stayed there with me for about 10 minutes and then he got up and left. I found him back in the closet.

So I figure my cat doesn't like the sound of Japanese and is a huge racist.

My dog is the same way. Something about it makes her uneasy. She also dislikes the Japanese faction flip scene change, but is fine with the U.S. one. Go figure...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

He absolutely does not give a gently caress about other people's portrayal of Caminus, no. Go back and read the arc about how Camien passive-aggressive "art first" friendship works and compare that to the Windblade/Chromia relationship.

The whole "everyone acts like a 'live free and have fun' forward thinking liberal arts college student" doesn't really gel with the whole "pious, religiously-focused society barely clinging to dwindling energy reserves", either.

Which yanno, isn't a bad trait for a character to have, but it doesn't fit with the rest of what's been written about Caminus.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 15, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AzraelNewtype posted:

That's Transformers: Till All Are One, and yeah it's the same three as before with two new names (I feel like they should have just kept Windblade running for the extra five months so it could be a clean sweep).

It's really blowing my mind that the post-Revolution relaunch version of the no-subtitle Transformers ongoing straight up does not have Transformers in the title. I mean, sure, Optimus Prime is enough in pop culture that nobody is going to be even remotely confused, but this may be the first time the word just isn't on the cover of any entry of this franchise. Lost Light's trade dress actually makes Lost Light way bigger than Transformers too, unlike Till All Are One or any of the pre-Revolution books.

Till All Are One replaced Windblade.

Gotta save the precious Brand Recognition for the bad cartoons and name those Transformers. At least they're not cancelling the good IDW continuity.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I liked this panel a lot haha

But yea, Lost Light seems like it's going to to..places I guess? Optimus seems like it has the better start out the gate though for sure.

I think TAAO is my current favorite though because Cybertron poo poo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The worst part of the new Optimus Prime book is that I'd have to pay a ton of money to get all of Prime's groupies for display.

Roulette (and her sister) alone is over 100 dollars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Add me to the luke warm feel of LL. I have read it a couple of times, but since it is the start of a new story arch I am reserving judgement for the moment. I'd much prefer that the Rodimus team were chasing down the LL and opening a can of whoopass on it, rather than go to different dimensions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I understand Hot Rod is purple now. What's up with that?