Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

CraCKed by ~~~U-Gene~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Mismatched boot person was Milton, hid under a dumpster.

ftfy

ex post facho posted:

I know "suspension of disbelief" and all that, but Rosita was, what, 6-7 feet from Negan, drew and aimed over about 3 seconds, and somehow managed to hit the 3" wide baseball bat instead of any part of Negan?

Meanwhile Negan's girl turns, draws and shoots the provisioner woman through the head when she's standing a good 15-20 feet away, on an elevated porch, in the space of a second, practically over her shoulder.

Why couldn't they at least show Rosita's bullet hitting Lucille? The bat didn't even look damaged for gently caress's sake.

Rick's group has a proven record of being able to headshot quickdraw zombies but fail miserably against humans.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 14, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Tron posted:

If this show is going to go the Dexter route can we actually get him as a character?

Rick walks into a room where Dexter is crouched over the still twitching corpse of someone who was seen alive and well just a few minutes before. A grin on his face, Dexter is repeatedly ramming a knife into their chest

Rick: What the gently caress are you doing?

Dexter stops, worried. His secret is out.

Rick: You should know by now we stab them in the head, not the chest.

Rick shakes his head bemused and walks out

Dexter (inner monologue): That was close, too close. Luckily for now Rick doesn't know my secret. My secret that I kill people. It is good that they do not know my secret that I see them all as...the walking dead.

Dexter continues to thoughtfully kneel by the still twitching body. The camera slowly zooms out to reveal there are dozens of other characters in the room, all too distracted by a can of pudding to notice what is going on

And then Carl nearly kills himself on a treadmill

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah they are ridiculous for wearing whatever protective padding they can find.

I really wish we saw more people in loving armor. I like it every time we see someone wearing protective gear. poo poo, just make it background characters and guards or something, I realize there's only so much armor to go around but the fact nobody does is hilarious.

I saw this Korean zombie not too long ago set on a train and the very first thing the biggest bad rear end does is... begin wrapping thick materials around his arms and chest and rigging up as much anti-bite armor as possible and it was awesome.

ED: You know what else I am surprised the survivors never have? Cell phones. Yeah, I don't mean so they can talk over a dead cell network. I mean because they have to be READILY available as long as you have power to charge them (Alexandria does), and even the most basic models from 2010 or whenever the apocalypse is supposed to have happened (sure hasn't stopped those new cars from rolling out) had stuff like flashlights, sound players, etc.

The sound players in particular you'd think would be a great tool, just record a bunch of "Hey zombie fucks!" screaming on it and set it to go off, instant zombie distraction. Even better if you combine a sound clip with an alarm. Mix it with some flashlight app that throws blinking camera flashes into the mix? Seriously, even a lovely phone would be incredibly helpful.

Oh yeah you could probably use it to take notes, take pictures, etc. without service too.

Lycus posted:

Glenn Rhee and Oberyn Martell attest: always wear your helmet.

Oberyn may also suggest to Negan that overconfidence is a surefire ticket to deadsville.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 14, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Blazing Ownager posted:

I saw this Korean zombie not too long ago set on a train and the very first thing the biggest bad rear end does is... begin wrapping thick materials around his arms and chest and rigging up as much anti-bite armor as possible and it was awesome.

This has always been the thing that confuses me about almost all zombie media. It doesn't take a lot to make you functionally "immune" to bites on easy-to-bite areas. A leather jacket with no major holes in it pretty much entirely prevents your torso from being bitten. Throw on some boots, some heavy work jeans, and a pair of gloves and you're virtually immune to being infected via bite. Sure, can still be injured/bruised, but the teeth aren't going to penetrate your flesh and infect you.

Even if you don't have leather, wrap a sheet thick enough around your exposed parts. Or even duct tape. Anything.

But no, nearly everyone in TWD just wears t-shirts. Or long-sleeve shirts thin enough that they can be bitten through.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Binary Logic posted:

I think it was done to show cosmic irony. If she had been rational, listened to Rick and stayed put she could have had her shot at killing Negan. She left Alexandria right before Negan showed up there.

But what we've learned is that people who attack Negan become his friend. He might kill or capture/torture someone they know, but not the actual attacker :iiam:
It's the people who try to be nice to Negan that end up dead..
In that last episode, Negan complained to Spencer that 'Rick is out looking for stuff to give me but you're not" - but Spencer had gone out looking and had come back on time. It was Rick who was late to return. That was really hosed up reasoning.

We also learned something about Rick: his best and oldest zombie-fighting buddy Glen was murdered, and Rick was patient. His soldier-at-arms Abraham was murdered, and Rick espoused patience. Daryl was captured and tortured, and Rick was still biding his time.
But when Spencer and what's-her-name were killed, that finally put him into the right frame of mind to fight back. Those were the people who really mattered to Rick, I guess.
Clearly Eugene was the bridge too far

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People went for the leather jackets first thing and now there are no more leather jackets. Then those people were killed by other people for their leather jackets and eventually the leather jacket supply ran dry as they were lost to violence and chaos throughout the world

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The thing that bugs me is that nobody is bothering to actually pick up useful crafting such as, say, tanning and leatherwork. All those deer hides and poo poo could be used for all kinds of stuff, and Hillside started up a loving smithy (which is frankly not something I'd want in my settlement because CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG would draw herds every day). Nobody knows how to build an effective and high-output farm - instead they have a couple tomatoes growing out of truck tires (which are full of poionsous stuff btw, you never wanna use a tire to grow edible food), a tractor that is obviously not being used to till up soil, etc.

I mean you'd think that one single person outside of Eugene would go "man we should raid a library and get a bunch of trade reference manuals and boy scout/army handbooks and stuff about sustainable farming and building techniques. That might be handy to keep around - and we could make the useless people learn at least one skill or move on." Send people out to scavenge old appliances for turbines, and set up windmills and solar, or a solar-powered water heater even would be pretty slick.

I mean you can easily pick up drafting and architecture from books and then build a way nicer wall than Alexandria's corrugated sheet metal wall.

Binary Logic posted:

We also learned something about Rick: his best and oldest zombie-fighting buddy Glen was murdered, and Rick was patient. His soldier-at-arms Abraham was murdered, and Rick espoused patience. Daryl was captured and tortured, and Rick was still biding his time.
But when Spencer and what's-her-name were killed, that finally put him into the right frame of mind to fight back. Those were the people who really mattered to Rick, I guess.
Actually, it was finding out that Carl attacked Negan and almost got himself and/or everyone in Alexandria killed for it, and that Negan had showed up literally the day after taking all their poo poo (when Rick even says eary in "they could even be back tomorrow!", so the saviors being there that quickly was a shock even to his worst-case scenario he was planning for), just to hold his baby daughter and take everything that Rick had just gone through a major struggle and almost got someone killed, to gather. He realized it was futile to try and live with it because the system is too unstable and is bound to break down in a fatal manner for RIck and Alexandria if they don't force a change.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

We can make an educated guess based on coming story beats but that's about it.
No idea about wire-boots, I was hoping it's the daughter from Oceanside watching them and deciding to make contact. It matches their colony's fashion sense the most, imho.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 14, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Instead of them doing cool survivalist poo poo and expanding on how it'd be to actually live in the apocalypse, we get slowwww drrrrawwwnnnn out sssshooootttttsss of peeeopleeeee loooking attttt stuuuuff and doiiinnggg notttthiiiiing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

coyo7e posted:

Actually, it was finding out that Carl attacked Negan and almost got himself and/or everyone in Alexandria killed for it, and that Negan had showed up literally the day after taking all their poo poo (when Rick even says eary in "they could even be back tomorrow!", so the saviors being there that quickly was a shock even to his worst-case scenario he was planning for), just to hold his baby daughter and take everything that Rick had just gone through a major struggle and almost got someone killed, to gather. He realized it was futile to try and live with it because the system is too unstable and is bound to break down in a fatal manner for RIck and Alexandria if they don't force a change.

It's so stupid that Rick was actually going along with it. I'm sure everyone is tired of comparisons to the comics at this point, but the show keeps making these small changes that make the story so much worse. In the comics Rick was just pretending to go along with Negan until he'd come up with a plan and got the other communities to work together. The idea that Rick actually decided to work for Negan is so stupid and damaging to the character.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The show is not a zombie apocalypse simulator.

Most time people wear armor it has symbolic meaning

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well after 7 seasons it'd be nice with a zombie apocalypse simulator instead of entire hour long episodes about Tara finding a village and then stumbling onto teleporting sand zombies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like that Tara episode

I hope now that the shows in its mature stage they do more episodic ones like that that are only tangentially connected to the "ARC"

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Binary Logic posted:

But what we've learned is that people who attack Negan become his friend. He might kill or capture/torture someone they know, but not the actual attacker :iiam:
It's the people who try to be nice to Negan that end up dead..
In that last episode, Negan complained to Spencer that 'Rick is out looking for stuff to give me but you're not" - but Spencer had gone out looking and had come back on time. It was Rick who was late to return. That was really hosed up reasoning.

Here is the way I see it: It's not Negan's actions that made Rick realize that compliance wasn't going to work. It was the actions of the dipshits he's in charge of.
Between Carl, Michonne, and Rosita all going rogue with their own plans and Spencer trying to usurp him, it's become impossible for Rick to prevent the inevitable.
They're going to have to fight because Rick cannot maintain control over his people any other way.

And it's exactly what Negan wants even if he doesn't realize it. Negan has been lying to himself. He thinks he wants order and obedience and power because that's what being in charge means, but in reality he's bored out of his loving mind. That's why he's so fascinated with Rick and Carl, and with the Alexandrians in general.

He's knows how dangerous these people are and that he's only subdued them to a certain degree. The logical thing to do at that point would be to either ease off on them a bit or to flat out kill them all. So what does he do? He provokes them. He has put them in this impossible situation and provokes them to see how these violent, resourceful people will find a way out of it. Hell, deep down in some sick way, he's probably hoping they'll succeed. That's why he kills Spencer. That's why he doesn't kill Carl. He's not a tyrant. He's an agent of chaos, an avatar for the writers, and a metaphor for the Devil.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This thread is smarter than the show and that, frankly, should be a badge of shame for both parties.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

coyo7e posted:

The thing that bugs me is that nobody is bothering to actually pick up useful crafting such as, say, tanning and leatherwork. All those deer hides and poo poo could be used for all kinds of stuff, and Hillside started up a loving smithy (which is frankly not something I'd want in my settlement because CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG would draw herds every day). Nobody knows how to build an effective and high-output farm - instead they have a couple tomatoes growing out of truck tires (which are full of poionsous stuff btw, you never wanna use a tire to grow edible food), a tractor that is obviously not being used to till up soil, etc.

I mean you'd think that one single person outside of Eugene would go "man we should raid a library and get a bunch of trade reference manuals and boy scout/army handbooks and stuff about sustainable farming and building techniques. That might be handy to keep around - and we could make the useless people learn at least one skill or move on." Send people out to scavenge old appliances for turbines, and set up windmills and solar, or a solar-powered water heater even would be pretty slick.

There's a really great post-apocalyptic book, Lucifer's Hammer, that has a character literally do just this/. He vacuum seals a bunch of really important books like "How Things Work Vol X!" and then sticks them in his motherfucking septic tank so motherfuckers won't find it.

But, this is TWD on AMC, I doubt any of them have ever consumed a scrap of good post-apocalyptic fiction. Ever.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Hades indeed complied with the request, but first he tricked her, giving her some pomegranate seeds to eat. Persephone was released by Hermes, who had been sent to retrieve her, but because she had tasted food in the underworld, she was obliged to spend a third of each year (the winter months) there, and the remaining part of the year with the gods above.[76] With the later writers Ovid and Hyginus, Persephone's time in the underworld becomes half the year.

ughhh carol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just had a shower thought, Carol and Daryl have swapped characters since the first season.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Stop with all the logic and water your tire tomato

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Carol's turned into a megabitch now, every time we see her she's either bitching someone out or putting someone in danger.

'Hey Carol I bought you some fresh tomatoes'
'Just leave me alooooooone!'

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

I still like Carol. I hope she turns down Rick and Co's call of action.

"Carol, come fight Negan with us!"
"Nah I'm good"

Didn't TV-Carol take over Andrea's storyline in the comics? I never read them but I remember earlier spoilers saying somebody hooks up with Ezekial or something

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

UnculturedSwine posted:

I still like Carol. I hope she turns down Rick and Co's call of action.

"Carol, come fight Negan with us!"
"Nah I'm good"

Didn't TV-Carol take over Andrea's storyline in the comics? I never read them but I remember earlier spoilers saying somebody hooks up with Ezekial or something

Carol and Michonne have absorbed a lot of Andrea's storyline, but they've also traded with each other. Andrea had the relationship with Rick, and Michonne was the one who was pursued by Ezekiel.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

Carol's turned into a megabitch now, every time we see her she's either bitching someone out or putting someone in danger.

'Hey Carol I bought you some fresh tomatoes'
'Just leave me alooooooone!'

I can only hope so she can have the action movie cliche of Saviors invading her house, not knowing how they are loving with, followed by her strapping up with weapons and obliterating an entire Negan base herself.

She's a nuclear weapon if they'd stop wrecking her character. Does anyone have that joke gif from last year where she's shooting that uzi and crying and just murdering everyone?

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This has always been the thing that confuses me about almost all zombie media. It doesn't take a lot to make you functionally "immune" to bites on easy-to-bite areas. A leather jacket with no major holes in it pretty much entirely prevents your torso from being bitten. Throw on some boots, some heavy work jeans, and a pair of gloves and you're virtually immune to being infected via bite. Sure, can still be injured/bruised, but the teeth aren't going to penetrate your flesh and infect you.

Because they were stupid and forgot that zombies could use pummeling weapons, it'd make them OP I guess, except that they can pull a loving horse apart with their Goddamn fingers (and Dale, for that matter) which is so hilariously stupid.

That said it'd still be nice if they'd try. The Kingdom using sporting goods style armor is smart. gently caress, Mad Max football armor would be absolutely insanely good for fighting zombies. Get some heavy gloves for a Quarterback outfit and you'd pretty much be able to wade through hordes.

I mean poo poo, I love how they had to make Glenn trade his armor away because the writers were too incompetent to come up with a way to threaten him otherwise. It makes the character look like an idiot, doubly so after he literally walked through a thick horde of zombies without a scratch because of it. Seriously gently caress guns and stuff, riot armor is worth it's weight in gold in Apocalypse and it's far less common than guns in the USA too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 15, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Binary Logic posted:

They might have missed half of that line, or I wasn't paying attention because "they're doing the thing!"

At least in the comics, Negan admires that Rick hates his guts and still he's out gathering for him, while Spencer is a worm. Also there is no Judith in the comics so that part wasn't there, no spaghetti, no dead fat lady, Carl was already home. All that was supposed to happen was Rick not being there, and Negan waiting for him until Spencer talks to him. They don't play pool in the middle of the street either, instead he leaves dead Spencer to find the pool table while he waits. Less is so much more in this case, why not throw in a wompa claw too.

edit: and no spartacus bullet poo poo wtf. Carl shoots Lucille while aiming at Negan, from much farther away.

edit2: vvv Sorta agree but seeing it after seeing without, it felt more genuine and serious. As if Negan was legitimately insulted that Spencer would betray Rick, and not playing with his food.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 15, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pool on the middle of the street was nice visual story telling that kirkman probably would have put in if he througt it up for the graphic novel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm seeing it with and without and I'm shrugging. Don't see a problem with putting more movement in a TV show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

pookerbug posted:

Here is the way I see it: It's not Negan's actions that made Rick realize that compliance wasn't going to work. It was the actions of the dipshits he's in charge of.
Between Carl, Michonne, and Rosita all going rogue with their own plans and Spencer trying to usurp him, it's become impossible for Rick to prevent the inevitable.
They're going to have to fight because Rick cannot maintain control over his people any other way.

And it's exactly what Negan wants even if he doesn't realize it. Negan has been lying to himself. He thinks he wants order and obedience and power because that's what being in charge means, but in reality he's bored out of his loving mind. That's why he's so fascinated with Rick and Carl, and with the Alexandrians in general.

He's knows how dangerous these people are and that he's only subdued them to a certain degree. The logical thing to do at that point would be to either ease off on them a bit or to flat out kill them all. So what does he do? He provokes them. He has put them in this impossible situation and provokes them to see how these violent, resourceful people will find a way out of it. Hell, deep down in some sick way, he's probably hoping they'll succeed. That's why he kills Spencer. That's why he doesn't kill Carl. He's not a tyrant. He's an agent of chaos, an avatar for the writers, and a metaphor for the Devil.

Interesting points. Yeah I didn't get it from viewing but Rick has probably realized that if he doesn't do something the 'ronin' are going to be killed off one by one, and the consequences for Alexandria will only get worse.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I think this is consistent in almost all zombie media: Your zombie survival plan is doomed to fail.

It doesn't matter if someone has impenetrable armour. At some time you have to drink water, eat. Sleep. Take a dump...whatever...and it's the one you don't see that gets you.
Or the horde can overwhelm the armour-wearer and eventually claw off a glove, boot, or tear through the material.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eyochigan posted:

edit2: vvv Sorta agree but seeing it after seeing without, it felt more genuine and serious. As if Negan was legitimately insulted that Spencer would betray Rick, and not playing with his food.

I got the feeling show Spencer didn't even intend Negan to kill Rick, I think he just wanted to be appointed leader. I might have missed it but it looked that the first time Negan mentioned killing Rick Spencer was all "what? no, that's not wha-".

Also, I'd imagine Spencer wouldn't be having that conversation in public if that was his goal. He didn't seem the type who wants to be feared but loved instead. Dinner with Rosita would definitely be off after that.

pookerbug posted:

This is the only reading of the character that makes sense. Deep down Negan wants to die.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 15, 2016

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Lycus posted:

Glenn Rhee and Oberyn Martell attest: always wear your helmet.

Thank you so much for this/

I think that Negan killed Spencer for being fake, a sneak, and while Rick wants to kill him he was pretty honest about it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/pqtGggE.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/M7G9UfG.gifv

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Sonequa Martin-Green got cast as the lead for the new Star Trek show, so Sasha might not be around much longer

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Retardog posted:

Sonequa Martin-Green got cast as the lead for the new Star Trek show, so Sasha might not be around much longer

loving GOOD
Zombies can't 'hold' weapons, nor do they have the intelligence to pick poo poo up. They were clearly trying to defend themselves with a brick/etc. and died with it still clutched in their hands; rigormortis kept it there. Literally a 1/1000 chance which is why we don't see it more.
Also; have you ever felt the body of the average over-weight American civilian? Just lol if you can't rip them limb from limb in a crazy blood-rage.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
sorry that needs subtitles

http://i.imgur.com/y3lE9cB.gifv

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

loving GOOD
Zombies can't 'hold' weapons, nor do they have the intelligence to pick poo poo up. They were clearly trying to defend themselves with a brick/etc. and died with it still clutched in their hands; rigormortis kept it there. Literally a 1/1000 chance which is why we don't see it more.
Also; have you ever felt the body of the average over-weight American civilian? Just lol if you can't rip them limb from limb in a crazy blood-rage.

You've got this show all figured out.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Sjs00 posted:

loving GOOD

https://i.imgur.com/2gviGBs.gifv

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always found it weird with the deterioration they show on the zombies, I mean how would most of their bites even break skin?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This was actually only 7 weeks ago in the show's timeline.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/516397
(Just watch it. I guarantee its better than anything you've ever seen on TWD)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always found it weird with the deterioration they show on the zombies, I mean how would most of their bites even break skin?

Their skulls are liken rotten pumpkins except for the teeth which are still perfectly intact and anchored in the jaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Of course, it's not like zombies aren't magic anyway.