Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A lot of the armour you just find lying around looks like rear end, Witcher gear looks cool and smart. Well, the Cat/Wolf/Manticore sets do. I wore the horrible gaudy golden knight armour to the final B&W boss like a fool and finished the game looking like a brass action figure instead of a cool dude in his best clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

2house2fly posted:

a brass action figure instead of a cool dude in his best clothes.
These are not one and the same?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

rumble in the bunghole posted:

There was that affable bald merchant guy in the White Orchard pub who led you to Yennefer. Can't forget about him.

Pretty nice guy. Might not look like much, but I bet he is a man of wealth and taste.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I finally started playing this game and I'm having a blast so far. Gwent is the best--am I correct in assuming that the simplest key to winning is just to have as many spies and medics as is reasonably possible, along with a couple decoys? I'm also really enjoying how in the middle of whatever craziness is going on, Geralt is always willing to take some time to play cards with pretty much anyone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

Pretty nice guy. Might not look like much, but I bet he is a man of wealth and taste.

Kept to himself mostly. Loved puzzles.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I never bothered with gwent, and I feel vaguely guilty about the half-dozen uncompleted sidequests to attend gwent tournaments.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I finally started playing this game and I'm having a blast so far. Gwent is the best--am I correct in assuming that the simplest key to winning is just to have as many spies and medics as is reasonably possible, along with a couple decoys? I'm also really enjoying how in the middle of whatever craziness is going on, Geralt is always willing to take some time to play cards with pretty much anyone.
Yeah but make it all the decoys - later Gwent will have a lot of opponents play many spies. Also keep your deck at the minimum size, throw away all the weather cards unless you play against monsters.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
As far as leader cards go, once you get a few spies (play the Bloody Baron to get your first one, he's not that hard) Sunny Foltest is definitely capable of beating every opponent in the main game, including the tournament. I also got some good mileage out of Seige Trumpet Foltest, but obviously you need to find a bunch of seige engines for your deck before that one plays out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

The herbalist in White Orchard seems to be a decent person as well.
She and Geralt definitely had a connection. Probably because she kept shaking dat rear end at him.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mzbundifund posted:

For a limited time only, check out Skellige for your not-deplorable character needs.

There's plenty of that there too (maybe that's what you mean by 'limited time only'?). Although I definitely rate Skellige as the nicest place in the base game for Geralt. Instead of outright open hostility and suspicion you get a reaction that is significantly more tolerant of your presence, although still not exactly 'nice' from your average Skelliger.

Fantasy France though, in the DLC seems to treat Geralt overall the best.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ice Fist posted:

There's plenty of that there too (maybe that's what you mean by 'limited time only'?). Although I definitely rate Skellige as the nicest place in the base game for Geralt. Instead of outright open hostility and suspicion you get a reaction that is significantly more tolerant of your presence, although still not exactly 'nice' from your average Skelliger.

Fantasy France though, in the DLC seems to treat Geralt overall the best.

In Toussaint, monster hunting itself is viewed as honorable, so a man whose profession is monster hunting is like king poo poo of turd mountain. It's such a lovely change of pace to take part in conversations where Geralt isn't immediately on the defensive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I like how I can visit a crappy little village where you can literally see the corpses of a half dozen drowners Geralt just killed by the bridge.

"White haired freak!"

Go for a swim, peasant.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I forgot to purchase the Sunny Foltest card in White Orchard because I didn't understand Gwent at the time and I thought "I already have Foltest!" Sad times.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

I like how I can visit a crappy little village where you can literally see the corpses of a half dozen drowners Geralt just killed by the bridge.

"White haired freak!"

Go for a swim, peasant.

There was some settlement that re-flourished once I destroyed a nest of whatevers, and right after the little cutscene of Geralt admiring his handywork, I looted a crate or I accidentally swung a punch and all of a sudden a horde of ~Level 30 guards showed up and destroyed me. Fuckin' crap town, I hope they all died by Leshen outbreaks after I left.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah its funny to liberate an abandoned area and as soon as the residents come back they walk past me muttering about what a freak I am. Hey dude I blew up a nest full of ghouls that would rip your head off if they saw you, maybe bite your tongue til I'm out of earshot.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

There was that affable bald merchant guy in the White Orchard pub who led you to Yennefer. Can't forget about him.

The devs missed a trick by not having him be the one to introduce Geralt to Gwent.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 14, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know when you can challenge O'Dimm, he mocks the idea of playing Gwent against him, but I still think it would be hilarious if you did so, only for him to cheat a dozen spies into his deck.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
He NEVER cheats!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I forgot to purchase the Sunny Foltest card in White Orchard because I didn't understand Gwent at the time and I thought "I already have Foltest!" Sad times.

If you missed out on White Orchard cards, you can travel back there and go to the merchant by the bridge(the one you saved from the griffin at the beginning) and buy them from him.

I believe there's also a corpse under the Hangman's Tree that has some Gwent cards on it as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ice Fist posted:

Instead of outright open hostility and suspicion you get a reaction that is significantly more tolerant of your presence, although still not exactly 'nice' from your average Skelliger.
I had a different experience. There's almost only open admiration for Geralt in average Skelligers' idle chat (and the rest is neutral) which was a huge contrast to Velen. I was specifically listening to the chatter a lot after I noticed this so I'm kinda baffled by what you wrote here.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Palpek posted:

I had a different experience. There's almost only open admiration for Geralt in average Skelligers' idle chat (and the rest is neutral) which was a huge contrast to Velen. I was specifically listening to the chatter a lot after I noticed this so I'm kinda baffled by what you wrote here.

Boy it's been a while since I finished my 2nd playthrough so I don't have anything exact offhand, but there are definitely some 'better watch yourself around here dude' that you'll run into.

That said:

Ice Fist posted:

Although I definitely rate Skellige as the nicest place in the base game for Geralt

My experience was clearly very different from Velen as well since I think it's a not so bad place that treats you pretty well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Palpek posted:

There's a fair amount of "gently caress off, outsider" but that's the only hostility. It's always for your being an outsider, never for your being a mutant.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I keep hearing that I should just pick a Witcher gear set that suits my playstyle and roll with that since I won't find very many things that are better. Can you guys give me a quick rundown of what each set is suited to? I need a high-level description of them -- all the wiki results get too technical, so to speak.

I hope that makes sense

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Got this during the Steam Sale, and I'm totally blown away. Just finished up most of Velen with 23 hours and I'm off to Novigrad. Shame about the Baron hanging himself, but I'll take that over witches eating a bunch of orphans he helped create.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

omg chael crash posted:

I keep hearing that I should just pick a Witcher gear set that suits my playstyle and roll with that since I won't find very many things that are better. Can you guys give me a quick rundown of what each set is suited to? I need a high-level description of them -- all the wiki results get too technical, so to speak.

I hope that makes sense

The main four are these:

Cat: Good all-round defences, bonuses suited for combat against humans
Griffin: Boosts your signs and makes you generally more effective against monsters
Wolf: Boosts signs a little (not as much as griffin) and has some all-rounded stuff, a mix of anti-monster and anti-human
Bear: Very good resistances, heavy armour, geared towards straight-up sword damage boosts

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

John Charity Spring posted:

The main four are these:

Cat: Good all-round defences, bonuses suited for combat against humans
Griffin: Boosts your signs and makes you generally more effective against monsters
Wolf: Boosts signs a little (not as much as griffin) and has some all-rounded stuff, a mix of anti-monster and anti-human
Bear: Very good resistances, heavy armour, geared towards straight-up sword damage boosts
I dont know why Cat is more suited to fighting humans.

Cat enhances Squick Attacks
Bear enhances Strong Attacks

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fuligin posted:

Got this during the Steam Sale, and I'm totally blown away. Just finished up most of Velen with 23 hours and I'm off to Novigrad. Shame about the Baron hanging himself, but I'll take that over witches eating a bunch of orphans he helped create.

Somehow I feel like some kind of genius for on my first runthrough of the game thinking "Hey, releasing this spirit under the tree is pretty clearly a bad idea, this seems like it was in an in-game book somewhere..."

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What about Viper?

When do you guys generally start looking for this stuff?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

omg chael crash posted:

What about Viper?

When do you guys generally start looking for this stuff?
If I remember correctly you only find the very basic Viper stuff in White Orchard and dont get more of it until one of the expansions way later in the game. The Viper stuff is good starter gear until you can start using Cat, Griffon, or Ursine.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

bewilderment posted:

Somehow I feel like some kind of genius for on my first runthrough of the game thinking "Hey, releasing this spirit under the tree is pretty clearly a bad idea, this seems like it was in an in-game book somewhere..."

I mean, I figured it was probably eeevviiiiillll but again, child eating witches

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I pretty much knew I'd end up killing the crones anyway, because video game. I also totally believe that in game book story, because it's pretty standard fantasy genre boilerplate.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Even when leaning on signs, your bread and butter in most fights is fast attacks. So I pretty much always use Cat, plus it looks the coolest

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

dud root posted:

Even when leaning on signs, your bread and butter in most fights is fast attacks. So I pretty much always use Cat, plus it looks the coolest

I try to stun things and then strong attack them, especially 'out of depth' enemies like big bears near the start of the game and witcher hunts, but maybe this will work less well as the game goes on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how everyone seems to take crone propaganda at face value.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

Having only gotten as far as Novigrad, the general crone story seemed built on general fantasy tropes that apply pretty well. Crones are weird old god kind of creatures that are capricious and nasty and eat children, but they don't want to destroy the land, just rule and control it, and that means keeping their subjects relatively alive. If they imprisoned something under a tree, and that something is killing people as opposed to just sending out weird dreams or appearing as a kindly spirit or whatever, then keeping it imprisoned seems like the right thing to do.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The manticore armour looks cool and boosts toxicity, which let me take a bunch of potions and also get an extra damage bonus from the Euphoria mutagen.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

bewilderment posted:

I try to stun things and then strong attack them, especially 'out of depth' enemies like big bears near the start of the game and witcher hunts, but maybe this will work less well as the game goes on.

Yeah strong attack definitely has its place. Thats a solid plan for other large enemies too - elementals, trolls, etc

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

To be fair the tree spirit does go completely psycho if you let it free

Edit: i guess I missed a lore book or something because I didn't know all that stuff from later in the game about how the Crones aren't just weird monsters who live in the swamp and there's some superstition about them, they actually are worshipped like gods in Velen and provide magic fruit at an annual ceremony until I actually got there. It fits well with the story, all rulers are hosed up and horrible, but it was weird that I seemed to have not taken in this fairly crucial fact of the setting

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

What exactly makes you think it is? It's either crone propaganda, or a common powerful witch gone crazy story. Geralt even says he never heard of any druid circle in Velen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The correct non-expansion armor fashion rating is clearly bear > wolf > cat.

Gryphon can rank anywhere depending on your opinion of fat geralt.