Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

GAAAAAME!!

I find this really neat neutron highway — 4 stars in a row, 160–200 Ly apart, letting me clear about 750 Ly in just those four jumps. BAM! “Could not connect to matchmaking server” (while in solo). Get back in to find myself sent back 14 jumps before the first neutron star, over 1.2 kLy away.

I hate you, Braben, and everything you stand for! :argh: :argh: :argh:

At least it looks like all the system scans still are counted, so it'll be a quick re-tread without having to scan all those water worlds again, but still…

I got rolled back too. Thought it was just me but looks like it's not an isolated case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Since I'm a colossally dyslexic idiot, I was shooting 17 Draconis ships while takin 17 Draconis missions and I won't be able to play until the weekend. :doh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
As I fly 600 ly to 17 Draconis I realize my main beef with the game. It's not the grind (which sucks). It's that the majority of the time spent playing it is doing nothing, sitting at loading screens and diving around stars.

There was a Reddit thread? (Or maybe here) where some guy calculated his time spent doing nothing, just from traveling from point to point and it's something like 80% of the time is sitting at the warp screen. Between that and super cruise you end up doing a whole lot of nothing the vast majority of your time.

Traveling around is fine, hell it can even be really fun (GTA), but not in Elite. I don't even know how you fix it without making Elite: More Dangerous.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah space in a space game loving blows :jerkbag:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

you know what this baseball game needs less of? pitching -- so boring

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

man i really want to get into this city building game but god drat i hate placing roads

I never tire of the insane things people complain about in this game. There's plenty of poo poo to pick out yet people focus on poo poo that kind of defines the genre :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i really want to get into this first person shooter but I spend 56.7% of my time reloading my gun. ugh!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The irony of you championing the grindiest mechanic in the game is too much :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

The irony of you championing the grindiest mechanic in the game is too much :allears:

Did I mention the rep grind?

I agree. Getting tired of these shitposters 😂

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Someone's been staring at the dot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Man this RPG but the dialogue and plot exposition.

Yikes.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I sure did enjoy that RPG I played that was 80% loading screens.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mimesweeper posted:

I sure did enjoy that RPG I played that was 80% loading screens.

ok how would you handle transitions to a new star system in a game whose entire gimmick is "procedurally generated Milky Way"?

Again this game has many many flaws but pointing out the very first marketing bullet point as the number one flaw is some hyperbolic BS.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

ok how would you handle transitions to a new star system in a game whose entire gimmick is "procedurally generated Milky Way"?

Again this game has many many flaws but pointing out the very first marketing bullet point as the number one flaw is some hyperbolic BS.

Oh OK, so it's immersive and true to real life because space is large and empty, that's your argument cool. Just like how your a single individual among billions of trillions so the rep grind and money grinds are fine. At least you're actually playing the game with those right!?

:xd:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ok so how would you change it? Please be specific.

Also loving :lol: at acting like I'm okay with the actual grinds. Nice straw man friendo.

For the record, N4I's list of things that are grindy in Elite: Dangerous

1.) Naval Rank
2.) Cash
3.) Engineer unlocks
4.) Engineer rank
5.) Engineer materials
6.) Jump juice mats
7.) faction rank
8.) trying to do massacre missions without exploits (80-something ships? really)
idk like 48.) getting from point a to b

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 15, 2016

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I'd like some kind of jump gates or long distance nav beacons or something where once you discover them you can jump there if you're within a few hundred ly or so. The main thing that annoys me about playing this game with friends is how long it takes to get anywhere, you have to plan ahead or spend an hour getting to each other. I get the argument that it's for realism but it'd be nice if they'd sacrifice a little for convenience.

edit: oh i didn't mean to ignore your question, I wouldn't change the way they handle it. It looks and feels great, when you first start playing it's super fun just to jump places. After a while though it's just a time sink. I guess what I'm saying is it's not the loading screen itself but I've seen it enough already, let me earn some way to skip some of this jumping and get to the fun stuff.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 15, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok so how would you change it? Please be specific.

Also loving :lol: at acting like I'm okay with the actual grinds. Nice straw man friendo.

For the record, N4I's list of things that are grindy in Elite: Dangerous

1.) Naval Rank
2.) Cash
3.) Engineer unlocks
4.) Engineer rank
5.) Engineer materials
6.) Jump juice mats
7.) faction rank
8.) trying to do massacre missions without exploits (80-something ships? really)
idk like 48.) getting from point a to b

Traveling from a to b has little to no gameplay and is a huge time sink.

If it's across systems, 80% of that time is spent doing nothing at a warp screen. Yes it's a cool warp screen, it still provides zero gameplay.

If it's in-system you point at Target destination, put throttle in blue and stare at the ETA. Again, arguably hardly any gameplay whatsoever. Occasionally you'll get interdicted or not pay attention and have to pull back on the throttle for 5 seconds because you overshoot.

Do you disagree with those statements?

I didn't claim to know how to fix it, nice try though, let's see how you attack me next :allears:

Two ideas off the top of my head:
for super cruise - increase acceleration by an order of magnitude. For warp space, increase jump distance by an order of magnitude and/or add warp gates. Just because you jumped hundreds of ly doesn't mean there weren't hundreds of systems that you somehow can't still explore. You could even add some mini-meta game to warping (punching in coordinates or whatever) that improves how far or not you can jump, giving the mechanic actual gameplay value *gasp*

Also just improve load times, why do I sit at a 10-20 second load screen with an ssd for what amounts to empty space (the answer hear is terrible networking and timeouts, as evidenced by drastically increased load times in solo).

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 15, 2016

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Mr. Crow posted:

If it's in-system you point at Target destination, put throttle in blue and stare at the ETA. Again, arguably hardly any gameplay whatsoever. Occasionally you'll get interdicted or not pay attention and have to pull back on the throttle for 5 seconds because you overshoot.

I don't know about this one, diving into a gravity well way too fast and barely slowing down in time to drop out safely is some of the best gameplay Elite has.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mr. Crow posted:

As I fly 600 ly to 17 Draconis I realize my main beef with the game. It's not the grind (which sucks). It's that the majority of the time spent playing it is doing nothing, sitting at loading screens and diving around stars.

There was a Reddit thread? (Or maybe here) where some guy calculated his time spent doing nothing, just from traveling from point to point and it's something like 80% of the time is sitting at the warp screen. Between that and super cruise you end up doing a whole lot of nothing the vast majority of your time.

Traveling around is fine, hell it can even be really fun (GTA), but not in Elite. I don't even know how you fix it without making Elite: More Dangerous.

I think that was on Reddit, but there was another one too where someone tested Horizons vs vanilla jump times and vanilla was way shorter. Seems like they have some optimizations to do still.

I like Elite mostly for the combat, but missions and such could be more enjoyable if they'd do some quality of life improvements. Some of the ones I'd do are more drastic but I can think of a few:

- Give every ship a built in docking computer and just have it work like it does now (throttle up if you want to fly in manually for smuggling etc, throttle down if you want to autopilot, or even just have an autopilot button or something)
- Streamline the way you ask for permission to dock (maybe just make it a button, or in a top level menu)
- Have an option to have the left and right panels up all the time (this isn't a thing right?) Even between all three viewing 'modes' (press key to look, TrackIR/mouselook, and VR) I think it'd just be faster to have it up all the time.
- Improve Engineer material collection in space. Cargo limpets are ok but I'd rather they work autonomously all the time and had more range. Maybe even make the cargo limpet controller built into the ship too. Mining has the same problem. I think they just need to improve the 'picking stuff up in space' mechanic so it isn't so fiddly.
- Remote market interfaces. I don't want to straight up say 'copy Eve Online' but they have a good mechanic there. It'd be nice to not have to go to eddb or something to figure out who sells what on the market or outfitting. Maybe make it just accessible in system, so at least you don't have to dock to find out. It could be a separate screen like the galaxy map, it doesn't necessarily need to be built in to the ship UI.

I'll be really interested to see what they do with the Commanders update (multicrew especially). I will say though that I don't care for spacelegs at all. The last thing I want to do in these games is get out and walk around. Improve the ship parts of the game first, please.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Yet more 💩

🤦‍♂️

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mimesweeper posted:

I don't know about this one, diving into a gravity well way too fast and barely slowing down in time to drop out safely is some of the best gameplay Elite has.

I see you haven't mastered "set throttle full, ETA 6 or 7, set throttle 75%, wait additional 30 seconds, drop out of super cruise". It's very thrilling.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Hexenritter posted:

I stopped working on trying to engineer my FSDs because I can't remember where the hell I was farming praesodymium.

I got my pras from metallic rings as I recall.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

:grin:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I didn't claim to know how to fix it, nice try though, let's see how you attack me next :allears:
How about instead of removing the space travel from the game about travelling in space (just so we can get to the lovely grind quicker), why don't we think of ways to make the space travel in the space travel game more engaging?

I know that's dripping with sarcasm (can't help myself)... but it's actually also a serious loving question.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

excuse me the space travel is the grindiest part of the game. please don't call me out on my bullshit or I'll passive agrees at u! 😂

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tooterfish posted:

How about instead of removing the space travel from the game about travelling in space (just so we can get to the lovely grind quicker), why don't we think of ways to make the space travel in the space travel game more engaging?

I know that's dripping with sarcasm (can't help myself)... but it's actually also a serious loving question.

That's literally what I said :confused:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Increasing jump range, increasing supercruise speed and adding warp gates doesn't make travel more engaging, it just makes it so you have to do arbitrarily less of it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mr. Crow posted:

I see you haven't mastered "set throttle full, ETA 6 or 7, set throttle 75%, wait additional 30 seconds, drop out of super cruise". It's very thrilling.

:eng101: Pro-tip: you can get it down to 5s if you listen to your drive. Six seconds is easily stable in the center of the sweet spot: just thread it a little up and down if you get to 7 or 5s, respectively.

:getin: Also, if you are heading to a moon or USS around a gas giant or other large body, you can dive into the opposite side of the primary's gravity well in a reverse-slingshot to bleed off speed and save time. Don't go too deep or you'll waste time getting stuck in the well.

:science: Pro-pro-tip: Han Solo was right, avoid all wells when traveling in-system. Always go up or down from the plane of the ecliptic in a high parabola to save time in cluttered systems.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
None of this travel is boring related stuff will matter once we have space toilets and a bindable flush button.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Goddamn loving sheeeeeet.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
After a couple of years playing this (with toilet breaks obs) I had about 400 mil.

I spent yesterday afternoon at 17 Draconis for purely scientific research purposes and made more money an hour than I've been making per year. Anyone who doesn't exploit the crap out of this is mental.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

GAAAAAME!!

I find this really neat neutron highway — 4 stars in a row, 160–200 Ly apart, letting me clear about 750 Ly in just those four jumps. BAM! “Could not connect to matchmaking server” (while in solo). Get back in to find myself sent back 14 jumps before the first neutron star, over 1.2 kLy away.

I hate you, Braben, and everything you stand for! :argh: :argh: :argh:

At least it looks like all the system scans still are accounted for, so it'll be a quick re-tread without having to scan all those water worlds again, but still…

Just be glad you didn't get teleported back to your last station. That's what happened to me once. :v:

(Also at least if it happens now I'll just be teleported back to Colonia and not all the way back to the bubble.)

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Hi hello goons, I see we are having a supercruise meltdown.

Isn't it fortunate that I solved this problem a year ago? Harass Frontier until L-point jumps are implemented.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Morningwoodpecker posted:

After a couple of years playing this (with toilet breaks obs) I had about 400 mil.

I spent yesterday afternoon at 17 Draconis for purely scientific research purposes and made more money an hour than I've been making per year. Anyone who doesn't exploit the crap out of this is mental.

I went from literally 1k credits upon arrival (spent what I had on the missile stuff and whatnot, blew up and had to dip into the loan slightly to re-buy) to 255 mil and counting. My net worth before this was around 6 mil or so, assets and cash.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bettik posted:

I went from literally 1k credits upon arrival (spent what I had on the missile stuff and whatnot, blew up and had to dip into the loan slightly to re-buy) to 255 mil and counting. My net worth before this was around 6 mil or so, assets and cash.

I used early exploits to be a billionaire when I first got the game, then reset my save and played nicely ever since. But then I made a small fortune on early pre-nerf passengers and since then I just can't be arsed logging in to make pennies anymore it's just not worth the hassle. My next stacked skimmer run will make me a billionaire.

Check out the traffic report at Paradiso it's as busy as a community goal.

Edit : Space billionaires club. FDEV should fix this game breaking exploit before anyone else gets rich.

Morningwoodpecker fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 15, 2016

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

Sard posted:

Hi hello goons, I see we are having a supercruise meltdown.

Isn't it fortunate that I solved this problem a year ago? Harass Frontier until L-point jumps are implemented.

This is a really good idea and fits well with the lore. Well done.

Now, if only they'd listen...

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Mouko posted:

This is a really good idea and fits well with the lore. Well done.

Now, if only they'd listen...

I want this so goddamn bad. It would solve several problems, and open up some new gameplay depth (i.e. using L waypoints to get to an obscured or out of the way destination in a cluttered system, as well as solving the POI problem)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I want to 17 drac with nerds who would like to team up today?

• Locked thread