Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chapter 10 spoiler: Ardyn just hummed the Chocobo theme. I can't bring myself to hate this guy.

EDIT: "Dude, are you seriously trying to kill me?" :allears:

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nina posted:

My assumption is that Ardyn is straight up lying about the injustices he faced. He was an overthrown ruler so who's to say he wasn't a total tyrant with or without heavy exposure to the magic-microbes that cause daemon transformation.
Engdame talk:
I kinda disagree because Bahamut practically backs up what Ardyn says, at least with the fact that his soul was so corrupted by demons he couldn't enter the afterlife period. I mean Ardyn loses a lot of his charm if he was just always evil, more than a dark reflection of what a king could become if they failed/strayed from the path.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
For the life of me I cannot find an image online of the map in this game, even without various locations marked on it! The only thing that google wants to give me is all that dumb scuttlebutt from a couple years ago where people were trying to determine the size of the map, which seems to be like 10 times larger than what is in game. Is google just stuck in a loop, or does nothing truly exist?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

kaempfer0080 posted:

What are the rewards? I spent about 45 minutes straight playing it waiting to get a game over because I was afraid there was some trophy I was almost about to get. I collected like 45 treasure boxes or whatever expecting something cool to happen when I was finished, but it just went back to FFXV. Can you actually get things from this?

The issue with the game is that many of the rewards are tiered accessories that are made completely obsolete within their own prize pool. For example, there is next to no reason to stop playing at 50 chests to get a Gold Bangle (+500 HP) when a handful of extra rounds will get you to 80 chests for a Platinum Bangle (+700 HP). On top of that, there's no reason to spend 45 minutes getting 80 chests in the 10-gil version of the game when another handful of extra rounds in the 10,000-gil version can get you 90 chests for an Onion Bangle (+2500 HP).

In short, play the 10k gil version and cash out at 80 chests for Dark Matter Bracelets (+100 STR) or 90 chests for Onion Bangles. 99 chests will get you a spell catalyst that can be used to craft Limit Break-tagged magic, but you can just farm a hunt to get a nearly equivalent item.

The Totomostro minigame has the same problem where with the exception of two prizes, the rewards are cosmetic or uselessly outclassed by things that can be found for free well before the game becomes available to play.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

For the life of me I cannot find an image online of the map in this game, even without various locations marked on it! The only thing that google wants to give me is all that dumb scuttlebutt from a couple years ago where people were trying to determine the size of the map, which seems to be like 10 times larger than what is in game. Is google just stuck in a loop, or does nothing truly exist?

https://finalfantasy15map.de//t

It's both incomplete and mostly in German, but here it is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm about ready to sail to Altissia. Will I have access to Cid there?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Raxivace posted:

I'm about ready to sail to Altissia. Will I have access to Cid there?

For his upgrades? Not until you get a certain ability a little bit into the chapter.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

If you're looking for a bunch of levels around chapter 7, be sure to do all of Vyv's quests, kill time with hunts at night, and use the wad of early game cash to stay at the Quay for 20k and double XP. You can do them earlier but that chapter had enough unlocked to get like 10 levels.

Edit: oh I wasn't responding to anyone specifically.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 15, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SLOSifl posted:

If you're looking for a bunch of levels around chapter 7, be sure to do all of Vyv's quests, kill time with hunts at night, and use the wad of early game cash to stay at the Quay for 20k and double XP. You can do them earlier but that chapter had enough unlocked to get like 10 levels.
I've done all of Vyv's quests.

I've already got the 80 quests trophy, even. I screwed up my gil spending so I didn't stay at Quay as much as I should have. My characters are in the mid-50's range now. I could grind some extra hunts to pass the time until Cid is finished upgrading the weapon I gave him already, but I kind of just want to move on at this point.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

DalaranJ posted:

https://finalfantasy15map.de//t

It's both incomplete and mostly in German, but here it is.

Ach, danke schoen. Es ist gut genug.

Ich wuensche die Karte war groesser mehr...

Also, the germans call cid Cidney? :psyduck:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Stormgale posted:

Engdame talk:
I kinda disagree because Bahamut practically backs up what Ardyn says, at least with the fact that his soul was so corrupted by demons he couldn't enter the afterlife period. I mean Ardyn loses a lot of his charm if he was just always evil, more than a dark reflection of what a king could become if they failed/strayed from the path.

Personally, I definitely got the impression that what the gods did to Ardyn was unjust, at least from a mortal perspective, but that doesn't change what you have to do in the slightest.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Not sure how to interpret the final scene. Did Umbra do some time trick to get us back to a good timeline?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Also, the germans call cid Cidney? :psyduck:

It's even in the credits!

more like dICK posted:

Not sure how to interpret the final scene. Did Umbra do some time trick to get us back to a good timeline?

It's the afterlife. They discuss meeting again there and it's a sort of "they die but are happy in the beyond" ending.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

So far my experience with Umbra is that it's a magic dog that transports passive aggressive responses to Luna right? Like she sends some important letter and I respond with "okay got ur letter girl".

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SLOSifl posted:

So far my experience with Umbra is that it's a magic dog that transports passive aggressive responses to Luna right? Like she sends some important letter and I respond with "okay got ur letter girl".

Well... you don't have to send passive aggressive responses.

You monster.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SLOSifl posted:

Can you respond 'Got it' to every letter? I think you can, but I'm not 100% sure.

The three times it happened I went less formal over time, so I'm pretty sure it went from:
"I am looking forward to seeing you there. Thanks, Luna."
to
"Still rolling along."
to
"Got it."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

P.S. didn't 4get wedding looking for frogs rq be there asap

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm honestly kind of upset that FF15 ends the way it does. I mean. It's not a bad ending. It's beautiful and absolutely gutwrenching. Like a sucker punch straight in the feelings. But at the at the same time, why? Of all the Final Fantasies where it feels like you should have been able to figure out some fantasy bullshit over the course of your journey to escape a tragic sacrifice it's this one. The goofy as all hell "Road trip with your trip with your dumbass buddies where you take stupid pictures and fish and eat shitloads of food that's so exquisitely goddamn rendered that jesus christ Square how much of the budget did you spend on this?" adventure. It feels kinda like a bait and switch almost and I'm not really sure I like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm honestly kind of upset that FF15 ends the way it does. I mean. It's not a bad ending. It's beautiful and absolutely gutwrenching. Like a sucker punch straight in the feelings. But at the at the same time, why? Of all the Final Fantasies where it feels like you should have been able to figure out some fantasy bullshit over the course of your journey to escape a tragic sacrifice it's this one. The goofy as all hell "Road trip with your trip with your dumbass buddies where you take stupid pictures and fish and eat shitloads of food that's so exquisitely goddamn rendered that jesus christ Square how much of the budget did you spend on this?" adventure. It feels kinda like a bait and switch almost and I'm not really sure I like it.

Imagine Noctis is Chris from Stand By Me and it all makes sense.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SLOSifl posted:

P.S. didn't 4get wedding looking for frogs rq be there asap

"send nudes j/k love u babe but for real i'm horny as fukk"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm enjoying the game. Currently still in chapter 3 going through every side quest I can because that's how I roll.

All the driving around gets a little annoying but holy crap this game is pretty and Ignis is cool. Prompto is dumb though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Fargle posted:

It was pretty much the only way it could end. I mean hell, the theme song was Stand By Me.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yodzilla posted:

"send nudes j/k love u babe but for real i'm horny as fukk"

Stuff like this makes me appreciate the characters in Persona 4 communicating normally via text messages about plot developments. Super excited for the Persona 5 English release next year.

Also that even though it takes a little longer than it should to catch on, the characters start proactively trying to stop bad things happening when they receive a hint about it, which seems rare in this kind of medium. "People that significantly appear on local TV get sucked into a TV dungeon somehow? poo poo, we should start monitoring the TV and trying to protect whoever shows up and stop it happening!"
It doesn't work, but the thought is there.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Fargle posted:

The ending is very definintive, which I liked after all the...loving lunacy of the 13 games and even a few main titles beforehand. It's simple, it's effective, it wraps it up. It's not terrifically satisfying but really the worst thing about it is that it doesn't make me really at all interested in filling in the gaps of the story, because nothing that happens there will change the ending.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not every game needs to have a fairytale ending either, IX was pretty bittersweet. If X didn't have that ending scene (and the sequel) it would also have been in that category.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The ending is very definintive, which I liked after all the...loving lunacy of the 13 games and even a few main titles beforehand. It's simple, it's effective, it wraps it up. It's not terrifically satisfying but really the worst thing about it is that it doesn't make me really at all interested in filling in the gaps of the story, because nothing that happens there will change the ending.

I don't know, I feel like most of the FF games have pretty definitive endings, including 13 and LR. (XIII-2 doesn't but it's also kinda the midpoint in a trilogy so it's not really the same.) None of them really leave anything open or anything of the sort and they pretty much all have fairly simple cohesive wrapups. The exception is probably FF7 which has a bit of a open-ending to some degree but everything else is pretty much closed. Usually to do a sequel they have to do some soft retcons in the first place. (or absurdly hard ones like 13-2)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not every game needs to have a fairytale ending either, IX was pretty bittersweet. If X didn't have that ending scene (and the sequel) it would also have been in that category.

FF9 had one character die and considering he was the best character I guess that's a little sad but things worked out pretty drat well for everyone else. And he got to leave behind a legacy, at least.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It was pretty much the only way it could end. I mean hell, the theme song was Stand By Me.

Yeah when you start the game up and you get the flash forward to everyone grizzled and on fire in the future and then the title card later opens to that song it's all insanely obvious but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I mean, I do like it. Sorta. I'm conflicted. It's not at all what I wanted going in. If it was up to me the game would have ended with Ardyn and Ifrit fusing into one giant fire demon god (Called Surt or something because this is Final Fantasy and you gotta keep the names appropriate) and then when you beat him down with the help of the other five gods and the power of love and friendship you built up over your adventure it finishes with the four boys beaten, exhausted, barely able to stand but victorious posing together for one last group photo and grinning like idiots. Because they're idiots. Beautiful, wonderful idiots and they should have had a happy ending together for their adventure goddamnit. :cry:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, I feel like most of the FF games have pretty definitive endings, including 13 and LR. (XIII-2 doesn't but it's also kinda the midpoint in a trilogy so it's not really the same.) None of them really leave anything open or anything of the sort and they pretty much all have fairly simple cohesive wrapups. The exception is probably FF7 which has a bit of a open-ending to some degree but everything else is pretty much closed. Usually to do a sequel they have to do some soft retcons in the first place. (or absurdly hard ones like 13-2)

I was thinking of Final Fantasy VIII specifically as I typed that, because its ending is an absolutely confusing series of images and scenes that ultimately concludes in a cocktail party. It ends on a high note, but it makes no freaking sense getting there.

You're right though, as I think about it, most of the games have at the very least a conclusive ending, even if some do weird things like FFX's stinger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Fargle posted:

Yeah when you start the game up and you get the flash forward to everyone grizzled and on fire in the future and then the title card later opens to that song it's all insanely obvious but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I mean, I do like it. Sorta. I'm conflicted. It's not at all what I wanted going in. If it was up to me the game would have ended with Ardyn and Ifrit fusing into one giant fire demon god (Called Surt or something because this is Final Fantasy and you gotta keep the names appropriate) and then when you beat him down with the help of the other five gods and the power of love and friendship you built up over your adventure it finishes with the four boys beaten, exhausted, barely able to stand but victorious posing together for one last group photo and grinning like idiots. Because they're idiots. Beautiful, wonderful idiots and they should have had a happy ending together for their adventure goddamnit. :cry:

Nah, I hear you. To some degree I'm just burned out on protagonists dying at the end of the game. It happens so often it's lost a lot of impact and I've reached the point I'm genuinely more interested in a game that is willing to go for an ending that isn't sad music, protagonist symbolically dying in a way that probably involves a glowing pillar of light. I think FFXV executed it well but yeah.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you'd've told me in 2009 that Square Enix would end a mainline Final Fantasy by simply emphatically stating its theme in the context of its closing events I would have laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

That goofiness is part of the reason it works.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I was thinking of Final Fantasy VIII specifically as I typed that, because its ending is an absolutely confusing series of images and scenes that ultimately concludes in a cocktail party. It ends on a high note, but it makes no freaking sense getting there.

You're right though, as I think about it, most of the games have at the very least a conclusive ending, even if some do weird things like FFX's stinger.

How is remember what your girlfriends face to escape Time Kompression which is a desert floating in the sky but then accidentally ending up in the past so the closed loop time-travel plot that the game revolves around can be completed instead of with your girlfriend so then you hop to a party being thrown on your floating combat school where finally, after 40-60 hours a man makes sweet, sweet mouth love to hot dogs nonsensical?

While you have to watch an extra datalog to confirm this that's outside the game, this entire process takes more time than it takes to beat Turtles in Time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fedule posted:

If you'd've told me in 2009 that Square Enix would end a mainline Final Fantasy by simply emphatically stating its theme in the context of its closing events I would have laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

Final Fantasy 6 literally has every character talk about the joy of friendship, family, belonging, and living even through adversity right before the final boss.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFX actually has its ending stinger foreshadowed in-dialogue if you go back to visit the Shiva fayth. The fact that you can revisit all the fayths and get an item and some extra dialogue is something few people do though since you wouldn't think to do it unless you missed a Destruction Sphere treasure somewhere.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also admit I'd probably look more fondly on it if (director spoilers) like every game Tataba directs doesn't have a scene of the protagonist sadly and dramatically dying, even if Type-0's alternate ending retcons it. That said I wish FFXV's ending had been as well executed as Crisis Core's, especially with the friendship theme

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Crisis Core's ending worked as well as it did because Zack was already an established character in FF7, in the sense that you knew his fate and that he existed. Crisis Core exists to flesh out that character. FFXV had no prior precedent really in the same sense, because it's not a spinoff, it is its own game.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Narrative-ly speaking, Noct being an anti-hero archetype of a protagonist works really well within the rest of the story's confines.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I also admit I'd probably look more fondly on it if (director spoilers) like every game Tataba directs doesn't have a scene of the protagonist sadly and dramatically dying, even if Type-0's alternate ending retcons it. That said I wish FFXV's ending had been as well executed as Crisis Core's, especially with the friendship theme

At least it's always been earned so far, even with FFXV's moth-eaten plot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You might have to elaborate what you mean by that, he seems like just a regular protagonist hero dude to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

At least it's always been earned so far, even with FFXV's moth-eaten plot.

Did we play the same 3rd Birthday?

• Locked thread