Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

paranoid randroid posted:

hes not even talking about loving women in that verse moron
whoops haha I always thought they were saying "nobody's seen the c*nts that i've seen" instead of carnage which kinda changes the whole verse and makes it sound more like kanye's previous verse about putting pussies in sarcophogi

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ghostwriting on rap songs is really common

that's what I was going on

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ghostwriting on rap songs is really common

well yeah there rumors about Jay, but its still pretty dumb to just assume ghostwriting. its a pretty big deal when it comes out.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rodatose posted:

kanye's previous verse about putting pussies in sarcophogi

this is what we call a "joke"

because the egyptians buried people with cats

because hes talking about having sex with pharaohs

did you also get mad about his line "keep it 300 like the romans"

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

choke a south park writer with a fish stick

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

this is what we call a "joke"

because the egyptians buried people with cats

because hes talking about having sex with pharaohs

did you also get mad about his line "keep it 300 like the romans"
kanye has too many "jokes" where the punchline is how forceful they are in sex

perhaps the guy who voted for trump and who defended cosby is, perhaps, at least a little sincere when they "joke"

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
"look, it's only a joke," I said to the HR board, regarding my alleged sexual harassment

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
You might also call it "locker room talk."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jesus loving christ dude

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

weird hills to die on

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

kanye has too many "jokes" where the punchline is how forceful they are in sex

perhaps the guy who voted for trump and who defended cosby is, perhaps, at least a little sincere when they "joke"

are you tipper gore?

also :yikes: if you only find mbdtf rapey

the point and artistic thrust of that album

you

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Well this conversation got dumb.

There are tacos in the food fridge. Not much but they're tacos. Also cookies, a tub of limes, and a thing of cilantro. I was told by the swing shift person to finish both cilantro and limes.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

stone cold posted:

the point and artistic thrust of that album

quote:

insert that quote from Jarhead about anti-war movies being actually pro-war here

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah I guess art is basically a fake idea if youre dumb as poo poo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

a lot of people are dumb as poo poo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
especially me

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

But jarhead is also art

Me am confuse

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

you don't get to be subtle if you have a mass audience unfortunately

the way people engage with art is they naturally sympathize with a protagonist they're following based on how they're first revealed, and then if there's a twist or less favorable subtext that's gotten through further reading, only some of the people will reevaluate their overall perceptions.

tyler durden is looked on favorably as a cool edgy antihero by lots of people even though the point of fight club is that that kind of machismo is self-destructive and to be avoided. however, it's not revealed until late on so a person who doesn't think about it too much might come away with a positive impression since they had positive feelings toward them for most of the movie.

if you want to prevent that you have to basically say "this is bad!" right off the bat which dulls the entertainment value.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 15, 2016

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

the way people engage with art is they naturally sympathize with a protagonist they're following based on how they're first revealed, and then if there's a twist or less favorable subtext that's gotten through further reading, only some of the people will reevaluate their overall perceptions.

tyler durden is looked on favorably as a cool edgy antihero by lots of people even though the point of fight club is that that kind of machismo is self-destructive and to be avoided. however, it's not revealed until late on so a person who doesn't think about it too much might come away with a positive impression since they had positive feelings toward them for most of the movie.

if you want to prevent that you have to basically say "this is bad!" right off the bat which dulls the entertainment value.

:ironicat:
it's pretty funny you kvetch about Kanye when palahniuk has an intense seething hatred for women. it's almost as funny as you bemoan audience stupidity while wholesale failing to get Kanye at all.

pick up chuck's newest book or don't

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Mustached Demon posted:

Well this conversation got dumb.

There are tacos in the food fridge. Not much but they're tacos. Also cookies, a tub of limes, and a thing of cilantro. I was told by the swing shift person to finish both cilantro and limes.

Your mistake was not bringing tequila

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I didn't like fight club

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Your mistake was not bringing tequila

Does denatured ethanol work? Same thing if both end in me vomiting, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
wait, tyler durden was bad?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
rorshach is also bad, and lolita is about how the narrator is a piece of poo poo

those are the two other big examples i can remember

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

my favorite chuck palahniuk character is the rape victim that hates trans women

and then sexually assaults her with her fellow survivors

makes you think

whole lotta subtext

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rodatose posted:

rorshach is also bad, and lolita is about how the narrator is a piece of poo poo

those are the two other big examples i can remember

John Gardner's Grendel is not meant to be a role model

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Gin and Juche posted:

Considering that every model, poll, and conventional wisdom has said it was a lock for the better part of a year I'm not sure I can blame them tbh.

Hell any mention in the here that it'd be less than a Clinton win was referred to as arzying

all those polls, models, etc. made the reasonable assumption that she'd campaign for votes

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cease to Hope posted:

a lot of people are dumb as poo poo

poo poo!

I guess I'm actually wasting my life after all

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

merry exmarx posted:

all those polls, models, etc. made the reasonable assumption that she'd campaign for votes

And theoretically she didn't at least in part to the favorable polls

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

stone cold posted:

my favorite chuck palahniuk character is the rape victim that hates trans women

and then sexually assaults her with her fellow survivors

makes you think

whole lotta subtext

can someone who embraces a male gender role ever divorce themselves enough from the aggressive aspects of that role enough to Make Art that has a beneficial effect on gender relations?

a lot of female writers and readers complain of how a male writing a "strong female" will end up creating someone who is physically female but has stereotypical male behaviors and biases. even writing about the downsides of machismo/power for males keeps focus and sympathy on the oppressor.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/809085192279392256

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

can someone who embraces a male gender role ever divorce themselves enough from the aggressive aspects of that role enough to Make Art that has a beneficial effect on gender relations?

a lot of female writers and readers complain of how a male writing a "strong female" will end up creating someone who is physically female but has stereotypical male behaviors and biases. even writing about the downsides of machismo/power for males keeps focus and sympathy on the oppressor.

i really thought palahniuk's book, beautiful you had great meaning for gender relations

i also thought his book pygmy was a boon to the East Asian community

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
nice, nice, this delusional mccarthyist stuff won't lead to anything ba-
https://twitter.com/cdenizok/status/809090917617594368

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

stone cold posted:

i really thought palahniuk's book, beautiful you had great meaning for gender relations

i also thought his book pygmy was a boon to the East Asian community

i didn't read any more chunk palaniuk after fight club because it was bad, and expected other books to be bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

merry exmarx posted:

nice, nice, this delusional mccarthyist stuff won't lead to anything ba-
https://twitter.com/cdenizok/status/809090917617594368

we're Migrant Sex Attacks and this is a song about a whale!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

i didn't read any more chunk palaniuk after fight club because it was bad, and expected other books to be bad

that's kind of a shame because you are the platonic ideal of a palahniuk fan

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

stone cold posted:

that's kind of a shame because you are the platonic ideal of a palahniuk fan

yeah, me the person who is bemoaning machismo and sexual violence

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
kanye west is bad

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hi guys what are we--:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

yeah, me the person who is bemoaning machismo and sexual violence

would you like a medal for the lowest effort feminism

Rodatose posted:

kanye west is bad

i'm glad you refuse to acknowledge the weird race dynamics you have going on, particularly when you referred to kanye as having "middle class frustration with women"

e:

Rodatose posted:

bemoaning machismo, while praising fight club?

• Locked thread