Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Handen posted:

Has anyone seen a video of the TB-03 connected to and being controlled by a K-25m? I'm curious to know if and how the two interact, but all of the TB-03 videos I can find are just standalone demos. :(
I haven't seen a video, but I can try it out for you.

EDIT: Totally works.

(If you really want a video of me noodling around [or if you have certain things you want to see], let me know and I'll see if I can throw something hasty together, but it wouldn't be until the weekend at the earliest).

minidracula fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Well I went for the KARP Odyssey :retrogames: , a used LE Mark II keyboard instead of a module. Now when I suck I don't have any excuses because the Odyssey has been used to good effect in just about every genre of music that uses synths.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

sliderule posted:

Mutable Kinks doesn't look attractive to me: what can I do with it that I wouldn't do with a Disting, and how often would I do them?

A couple things I like to do with Kinks is half- or full-wave rectify a signal, then add a DC offset, which changes the timbre in a PWM-like fashion. The S&H also works well into the audio range, so you can get some weirdass analog bitcrushing by triggering it via an audio-rate oscillator.

But honestly I imagine shapeshifter covers ground like this already.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The shifty has the analog logic type stuff built in with the combination modes. You can sub an external signal for one of the oscs with those, but not both. A caveat there is that the Mod A input you use for that is AC-coupled and you only get one logic mode at a time, which limits some of the techniques that you can do with dedicated analog logic sections on other modules.

No direct equivalent to S&H or rectification, though you can patch half-wave for anything easily with most VCAs + a DC source, and I guess you can probably patch something similar to fullwave with the shifty's pulse out in +o1, +o2, or -o2 modes, a ring mod, and an inverter or two.

The shifty has no shortage of ways to gently caress with the sound though. It does an okay job of focusing on stuff that you can't really patch with other modules (and would be even better if they had really committed to that direction I think, but again IMO it's also one of if not the best oscillator in Eurorack already, so talk about pointless bitching).

The first three utilities I'd put in almost any rack would be any attenuverting mixer type module, Function, and Cold Mac, but of course this is far from the only valid way to do it, just my preference. A lot of that kind of thing depends on how you want to go about avoiding overlapping functionality (or intentionally overlapping stuff you want doubles of).

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 15, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

breaks posted:

The first three utilities I'd put in almost any rack would be any attenuverting mixer type module, Function, and Cold Mac, but of course this is far from the only valid way to do it, just my preference. A lot of that kind of thing depends on how you want to go about avoiding overlapping functionality (or intentionally overlapping stuff you want doubles of).

I liked everything about Cold Mac until I realized that the inputs were AC coupled. It's a dense module for certain, but as you mention the Shapeshifter can already do some of those things in a more limited fashion.

My real focus for this rack is to have sufficient scope of timbre with lots of timbre, pan, and filter modulation potential from dynamic sequence/function generation. I'm hoping that I get the timbres I want between Shapeshifter, Clouds, and Morpheus without further waveshaping / distortion, leaving a lot of space for CV generation / mangling.

Here's an option based on recent changes:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/376303

Notable changes: dropped the scope, added a Triatt and Kinks, which I can appreciate at 4hp. Also I found Pamela's Workout to be an interesting complement to teletype. I understand that a lot of that could be done with teletype's metro script, but I appreciate having tactile control as opposed to entering data via keyboard. Also the script couldn't do quite as much as 8 independently timed triggers.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Note that there's a new Pamela's in the works with a better display and the ability to use the outputs as tempo-synced LFOs. Which is great -- I love my Pam's but I rarely use more than four triggers or so at once.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

Note that there's a new Pamela's in the works with a better display and the ability to use the outputs as tempo-synced LFOs. Which is great -- I love my Pam's but I rarely use more than four triggers or so at once.

I was staring down 8 trigger inputs on the teletype, and welp....

I can get tempo-sync'd LFOs from the disting, but not 8 of them. When's it coming? Got a link?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Uh pams display is great :colbert:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/nyx/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

sliderule posted:

I was staring down 8 trigger inputs on the teletype, and welp....

I can get tempo-sync'd LFOs from the disting, but not 8 of them. When's it coming? Got a link?

Just a thread on Muff's, nothing too concrete yet.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cool.

Not sure if I'll wait for the new one. The system doesn't *need* the clocking, so I can go without.

I guess I'll just wire up some buttons to +5v for manual momentary gating/triggering for now. I'm kind of surprised there's not any compact momentary gate button arrays available. Oh well, it's easy enough to build.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

sliderule posted:

I liked everything about Cold Mac until I realized that the inputs were AC coupled. It's a dense module for certain, but as you mention the Shapeshifter can already do some of those things in a more limited fashion.
the inputs arent ac coupled, the MAC output is AC coupled and the others all DC coupled

quote:

My real focus for this rack is to have sufficient scope of timbre with lots of timbre, pan, and filter modulation potential from dynamic sequence/function generation. I'm hoping that I get the timbres I want between Shapeshifter, Clouds, and Morpheus without further waveshaping / distortion, leaving a lot of space for CV generation / mangling.

Here's an option based on recent changes:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/376303

Notable changes: dropped the scope, added a Triatt and Kinks, which I can appreciate at 4hp. Also I found Pamela's Workout to be an interesting complement to teletype. I understand that a lot of that could be done with teletype's metro script, but I appreciate having tactile control as opposed to entering data via keyboard. Also the script couldn't do quite as much as 8 independently timed triggers.

youre getting there, this looks much more playable. id get a few stackcables or intellijel hubs and ditch a 2hp mult, i dont think you'll need 4 buff mults in this rack. a unity mixer could be handy

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

AxeBreaker posted:

Well I went for the KARP Odyssey :retrogames: , a used LE Mark II keyboard instead of a module. Now when I suck I don't have any excuses because the Odyssey has been used to good effect in just about every genre of music that uses synths.

p.s s&h of VCO1's sawtooth into the filter, little bit of lag.

It's such a beauty of a synth...

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

_Dav posted:

p.s s&h of VCO1's sawtooth into the filter, little bit of lag.

It's such a beauty of a synth...

Also, abuse the feedback loop with judicious use of the HPF.

Even a smidge of feedback can help you push the VCA which distorts nicely.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the inputs arent ac coupled, the MAC output is AC coupled and the others all DC coupled
The manual says otherwise:

COLDMAC Manual posted:

NB: Inputs are AC coupled so MAC will not mix CV signals.

It also won't mix CVs if the output is AC coupled, but are there reasons to push CV into those inputs?

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

youre getting there, this looks much more playable. id get a few stackcables or intellijel hubs and ditch a 2hp mult, i dont think you'll need 4 buff mults in this rack. a unity mixer could be handy

Yeah I'm going to swap one unbuffered mult for a unity gain mixer. Also dude at the store pointed me at Mutable Shades over Triatt due to its normaling/mixing behaviour. Plus blinkenlights.

e: Current build: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/376855

vvv Ha!

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 17, 2016

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Such classic tone, really brings me back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9fGiXMHIeE

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

sliderule posted:

Also, abuse the feedback loop with judicious use of the HPF.

Even a smidge of feedback can help you push the VCA which distorts nicely.

The manual says otherwise:

It also won't mix CVs if the output is AC coupled, but are there reasons to push CV into those inputs?
yeah the manuals weird but i remember this discussion in the thread at muffs, and whimsical chipped in there that the other outputs process CV and DC just fine

quote:

Yeah I'm going to swap one unbuffered mult for a unity gain mixer. Also dude at the store pointed me at Mutable Shades over Triatt due to its normaling/mixing behaviour. Plus blinkenlights.
triatt mixes just like shades, youre just paying :10bux: more per LED ;)
plus triatt has an inverted attenuator mode that lets you zero out much more easily than an attenuvertor. id spend tthat money on a couple stackcables

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

triatt mixes just like shades, youre just paying :10bux: more per LED ;)
That's interesting.

The B output on shades is normalled to A+B, and breaking the normal pulls A+B out of the C mix. The B output on Triatt is normalled to the B input and breaking the normal only pulls B out of the C mix.

Shades can operate in 4 modes:
1. 3 independent attenuverters
2. A + B + C mixer
3. A + B mixer with C attenuverter
4. B + C mixer with A attenuverter

Triatt can operate in 4 modes:
2. A + B + C mixer
3. A + C mixer with B attenuverter

So despite the different normal configuration, it produces effectively the same number and type of options. The only difference is that B will always be in the mix on Shades and C will always be in the mix on Triatt. Huh.

Thanks for pointing that out! Triatt it is!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

That's interesting.

The B output on shades is normalled to A+B, and breaking the normal pulls A+B out of the C mix. The B output on Triatt is normalled to the B input and breaking the normal only pulls B out of the C mix.

Shades can operate in 4 modes:
2. A + B + C mixer
3. A + B mixer with C attenuverter

Triatt can operate in 4 modes:
2. A + B + C mixer
3. A + C mixer with B attenuverter

So despite the different normal configuration, it produces effectively the same number and type of options. The only difference is that B will always be in the mix on Shades and C will always be in the mix on Triatt. Huh.

Thanks for pointing that out! Triatt it is!
While thats mostly correct, youre missing that triatt offers a 3 pos switch per channel (inverted attenuation, attenuversion, regular attenuation) whereas shades only offers 2 pos, attenuversion and normal attenuation. i personally find this most helpful when adding a dc offset, and triatts always a 3:1 mixer for me

good luck and enjoy!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't include the 3-position switch in my analysis, but I included it in my decision :)

Thank you, and all in the thread for your help!

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with ~~~my first modular~~~

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Pamela's Workout not available for order. New one must be close.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

Pamela's Workout not available for order. New one must be close.

in a week or two youll be glad to have some empty hp :lsd:

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOL18ddYCco

Got this neat little wooden synth off etsy

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I had no clue you could use capacitive touch sensors through wood.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I got the Mutable Instruments Grids for Christmas, and I like it a lot. The ability to slowly drift between different drumlines is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, my stuff would be too monotonous. It's great with Tiptop's 808 stuff, I've got the bass drum and snare drum. Of course now it means the next module I need is hi-hats. Luckily the Peaks can fill in for hats right now.

I now want something like the Grids for basslines. I'm tempted to try and build something driven off a Raspberry Pi.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Chainclaw posted:

I now want something like the Grids for basslines. I'm tempted to try and build something driven off a Raspberry Pi.

That's pretty much how I treat the Turing Machine.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

There's the Zillion, kin to Turing, a little too closely imo, being monophonic.
squarp does euclidian and is a great little box in any case.
If you've got a mac kicking around M (opcode, now again cycling74) is great for generative stuff. I'm sure there's a million workalikes on tablets now. I'd hope anyway.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Teletype can do Euclidean and any other rhythms you can dream up.

https://youtu.be/f2FMVaVkiDo

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOsUBwb5no

He starts actually going through some created and preset sounds around 18 minutes for the impatient. The most impressive showing I've seen, although I'm still not entirely sold because Behringer.. Amazing modulation capabilities.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Couldn't resist picking up one of the Roland A-01Ks they're blowing out. It's p deece. The little monosynth in the low registers is more than I expected, though I really got it for the connectivity. BT synced right up to my iPad, no perceivable lag in animoog, sunrizer. CV worked out of the box for my eurojunk.
You can drive the internal synth from kb, sequencer or specified midi channel. Not a whole hell of a lot of customizing other than that.
Sequencer is simple but quick to use. It does have some novel features like odd or even step, odd then even, etc.
Figure if it sucked I'd use the keyboard dock for the JU module but it's definitely going to end up being what I grab for jams when I'm too lazy to haul a bunch of crap.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The new Deadmau5 masterclass has a pretty long segment on his modular stuff. It's insane.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

well why not posted:

The new Deadmau5 masterclass has a pretty long segment on his modular stuff. It's insane.

Bearing in mind this is the guy who couldn't work out how a René worked (on livestream) I'm not sure he'd be my first choice for modular masterclasses

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It seems like he gets really nervy on cameara, there's a bit of misclicking happening on stuff he 100% knows how to do.

Kinda wish it went into more depth with his modular rig, but it's so comically outside the realm of attainability for most people I can see why it's brief.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Scatterfold posted:

Bearing in mind this is the guy who couldn't work out how a René worked (on livestream) I'm not sure he'd be my first choice for modular masterclasses

It isn't a MasterClass on modular, it's more of a primer into music production. He just happens to talk about his modular system for a couple segments.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

well why not posted:

It seems like he gets really nervy on cameara, there's a bit of misclicking happening on stuff he 100% knows how to do.

Kinda wish it went into more depth with his modular rig, but it's so comically outside the realm of attainability for most people I can see why it's brief.

I know he buys a big Modcan system in IDOW, but even that inst that in depth.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he uses the big modcan for a bit, but yeah not indepth. I wish he'd just gopro a four hour session of modular fuckery or something.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Are you guys in the MasterClass? What do you think so far? I think my expectations were too high going into it, because $90 really isn't that much money and I think the content in all is worth about that. I certainly learned some really valuable things as a more beginner/intermediate producer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it's really good, very interesting to see the workflow etc, but really could've used more indepth stuff track-building rather than the loose interview format. A lot of it was fascinating, but unless you have a $5m live rig and a $3m studio it kinda doesn't apply.

I'd recommend it and probably go in for a second class if it looked to have a bit more actual production in it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

well why not posted:

I think it's really good, very interesting to see the workflow etc, but really could've used more indepth stuff track-building rather than the loose interview format. A lot of it was fascinating, but unless you have a $5m live rig and a $3m studio it kinda doesn't apply.

I'd recommend it and probably go in for a second class if it looked to have a bit more actual production in it.

I heard that in an interview he talked about not going as in depth on some things as he would have liked and was considering doing a second MasterClass for more advanced users. I can't find the interview though but that would be cool and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I really liked his workflow approach since it was something much different than what I have been doing, but it completely made sense.

I don't know if I would recommend the course for advanced users as most of the stuff wouldn't be new. Unless you love deadmau5 and then it's probably worth it for anyone.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ah, there was a time when he was telling everything that 32-bit Fruity Loops was the only thing anyone needed to make music but, hey, if you've got it, spend it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
So work was great and gave me a massive bonus this year, of which I want to blow some of it on stupid music poo poo. :retrogames:

Can't decide between a pyramid sequencer or a 0-coast.